in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Alan Moore & Superhero Movies

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Alan Moore & Superhero Movies  (Read 1552 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Alan Moore & Superhero Movies
« on: October 10, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »

Alan Moore says superhero movies have been a blight on cinema and Adam West was the best Batman. Do we agree?

https://winteriscoming.net/2020/10/09/comics-legend-alan-moore-superhero-movies-blighted-cinema/
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Alan Moore & Superhero Movies
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2020, 11:35:27 AM »

That's about what we have come to expect from Mr. Grumpy. But he does have a point, sort of.  Superheroes may have been designed for kids but their adventures were read by teens and adults in big numbers.  Not being a big fan of the superhero movies, in fact I've seen only a few of them, I'm probably not in a position to comment.  But I do love the old superhero/Masked Mystery Men movie serials. 
Anyway, I watch movies to be entertained, not to find out or be made aware of serious stuff.  I can get insight into serious matters from more reliable sources than movies. 
His point about, "They have a long line of ghosts standing behind them" is telling. But he is mistaken to an extent in saying that superheroes were invented in the '30's.  In comics, yes, but as we know, in Britain as well as USA there were many superheroes in pulps, novels and British pockets and story papers.
I don't have a lot of time for the modern iterations of superheroes, all dark, violent, moody, needing a shave, but the genre has entertained me for most of my life, as have other genres of comics. 
As for the Adam West comment, apart from the Green Hornet crossover, I don't really get that daft Batman version.  The GH tv show is much more entertaining, imo.  Oddly, I like the Batman 66 comics and the crossovers they did a few years ago.
I wonder how Mr Moore feels about Star Trek and Star Wars movies, or all those action films, are they also a blight on cinema?  If so, isn't that a bit elitist?
Curious to learn what others think of all this.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 04:30:14 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.