in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Police Comics #107, 108 & 138 .cbz error

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Police Comics #107, 108 & 138 .cbz error  (Read 3983 times)

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
Police Comics #107, 108 & 138 .cbz error
« on: March 20, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »

I posted this in Denny's .cbz thread, but thought I should probaby put these in a separate thread.

I'm getting the "This archive is not a valid Zip archive" error.

These were all recently uploaded by Prime User.

As noted in Denny's thread, over the last month I've had some .cbz files that worked and some that didn't, and that list is in that thread.

Edit - by the way, I did change the extension of #138 to .cbr and downloaded it, but basically got a blank gray screen.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 04:13:18 PM by Jedifish »
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
Re: Police Comics #107, 108 & 138 .cbz error
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 04:23:27 PM »

I just tried to download another comic by Prime User - Climax #2, and got the same error.

If it helps, Prime User was using .cbr prior to March 7th, and started using .cbz beginning with his March 7th uploads.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 05:28:21 PM »

I have not had any trouble with these upload, and  I think that it is a bit misleading to even call a file a "bad upload" because someone cannot open the file with the software they are using. In my view a bad upload is "hey, this thing won't even download".

People need to upgrade their programs (and perhaps their op/sys) and have a number of tools for opening up the various extensions -- period -- otherwise I foresee the next newbie onslaught being "I can't open this file, so it must be a bad upload".

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 05:29:05 PM »

Make sure that you allow your computer to show extensions. I just downloaded Climax 2. It had a double extension .cbz.zip  all you need to do is remove the.zip and you have a working cbz file.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 05:34:32 PM »

Make sure that you allow your computer to show extensions. I just downloaded Climax 2. It had a double extension .cbz.zip  all you need to do is remove the.zip and you have a working cbz file.

I just downloaded the Climax file and it opened right up in CDisplay for me.  People only need to take a few moments to adjust their settings and they can open up any file available on the site.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »

I can see extensions, and it doesn't show the .zip.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 05:46:18 PM »

Just weird because it clearly came out even in chrome as Climax_002.cbz.zip then shows up same in explore. Switch to Chrome
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 05:47:50 PM »

I have not had any trouble with these upload, and  I think that it is a bit misleading to even call a file a "bad upload" because someone cannot open the file with the software they are using. In my view a bad upload is "hey, this thing won't even download".

People need to upgrade their programs (and perhaps their op/sys) and have a number of tools for opening up the various extensions -- period -- otherwise I foresee the next newbie onslaught being "I can't open this file, so it must be a bad upload".

Well, I've just downloaded Smash #22 which has a .cbz extension, and it works fine for me. So it's not like cddisplay isn't working for me and I have the current version 1.8.1.0.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 05:51:29 PM by Jedifish »
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 05:48:58 PM »

Just weird because it clearly came out even in chrome as Climax_002.cbz.zip then shows up same in explore. Switch to Chrome

Chrome doesn't have autofill, so I don't use it.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 05:56:07 PM »

And besides, it's not like I'm a new newbie. I've been downloading since October 2008, and never had an issue before.

I was trying to point out that Trigger's .cbz files work fine for me, but Prime User's aren't, so the mods can see if there is a reason for that.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 06:18:08 PM »

Thanks Narfstar. I do see the double extension in Chrome. Should these be saved as .rar files? When I try to open it through Chrome, I have to extract it and it saves it as a bunch of .jpg files.
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »

I don't know anything about Chrome. When I clicked download, it download the entire thing with asking me to open or save (whereas IE asks me, and I can change the extension at that point before saving it).
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 06:36:10 PM »

And besides, it's not like I'm a new newbie. I've been downloading since October 2008, and never had an issue before.

I was trying to point out that Trigger's .cbz files work fine for me, but Prime User's aren't, so the mods can see if there is a reason for that.

It could be that you are cursed.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »

All I had to do was remove the .zip and it worked fine
ip icon Logged

Jedifish

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 07:56:45 PM »

All I had to do was remove the .zip and it worked fine

Yeah. I was able to do that after it downloaded in Chrome and it worked. I wonder if the .zip is cut off in the download with IE8. When I click on properties on the .cbz files, .zip doesn't show up there, either.

Is this an error with the way Prime User is saving or uploading his files? As noted, I'm getting the same error with all his March 7th and up uploads.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2010, 08:25:05 PM »

I suspect it was something he did wrong trying to make things right
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.