in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Best in Class 2020

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Best in Class 2020  (Read 409 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Best in Class 2020
« on: December 08, 2020, 09:26:42 AM »

Okay, it's getting near the end of the year - and time to think of what's been good - share your experience:

What's the best comic book/graphic novel you've read this year?

What's the best ongoing newspaper or webcomic strip?

What's the best novel? (for those who can live without pictures)

What's the best TV programme?

Make up any additional categories as you think fit!
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
Re: Best in Class 2020
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 11:35:54 AM »

I'm really struggling to come up with answers for any of these. Due to the unknown virus of unspecified origin, there hasn't been much new content this year.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:04:00 PM »

Like gregjh, I'm pushed to answer some of those.
The best book was The Darkest Evening, Ann Cleeves.
TV show, definitely Grayson Perry's Art Club.
Never read a webcomic.
Newspaper strip -  there's not one I follow daily. The Phantom I wait for collections.
The best cartoon strip would be from Private Eye, Celeb.
As for comics, I've read so few new issues, but a great experience was re-reading Planetary.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 07:34:19 PM »

Hmmmm

I need to cogitate on this more.  Good question tho

The question did make me realize how many non-fiction pieces I?ve read, especially during isolation re: school.  It?s a real departure. One thing for sure, tho, I?m addicted to the reprint run of Dark Shadows novels by Herm?s Press.  Schmaltzy to the max. Inadvertently hilarious.  Comfort food for the brain
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 10:27:50 PM »

Ok then,

Best Comic ? Giant Days.  Follows the exploits of three college friends working their way through life. John Allison writes a masterpiece (Boom).  The series ended this year. It was a great run.

Best Graphic Novel ?  Authorized Happiness by Griffo and Van Hamme (Cinebook) 3 Kafkaesque tales of society raging on idealism and over the top political correctness.  Where are we headed?

Best novel. ?  I?ll stick with my earlier fascination for Dark Shadows.  Apparently, the vampire Barnabas came later in the series, as the first three books at least hadn?t mentioned him. I?m sort of embarrassed to say I like these.  Feels like I?m endorsing the Twilight series or something (Herm?s Press)

Best comic strip ? Dick Tracy still entertains me.  I started reading it with the Moon Maid strips in the 1960?s. 

Best TV show ? Dark.  This goofy show featured multiple timelines and multiple continuums with different versions of the same characters; many of which were not played by the same actors.  You needed a scorecard for this one.  I think I enjoyed surviving the format even more than the show itself. It was engaging in to me, tho.  (Netflix? Hulu? Prime?  One of those I guess)

Best new old stuff ? I started to reassemble a run of ACG Herbie comics from the mid 1960?s. I could read those and Forbidden Worlds all day long.

Best new find of the year ? Butterworth and Lawrence on Trigan Empire. (Rebellion). I?d heard about the work, but had never had it to dig in to.  It appeals to my childhood ?life on other planets? story affinity as well as my love of reading about our real old world cultures. 

Best non-comic/SF thing.  The trio of three magazines, Archaeology/American Archaeology/Biblical Archaeology fuels my imagination with boundless speculation on what came before us. 

?David
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 09:29:30 AM »

Gosh - those are great choices and represent just what the genre can achieve when it really tries.

I hadn't heard of Authorised Happiness but I looked it up and it looks amazing - definitely one to add to my Xmas list. The idea that the Government will be in a position to tell you when you can be happy has an eerie ring of truth to it in these days of social scorecards.

Also, Dark is a TV series I had heard about but not watched. After your recommendation, I'm going to go for it - looks mind-blowing - Twin Peaks on steroids

I'm also addicted to ancient mysteries - a regular visitor to this free website:

https://www.ancient-origins.net

From today's articles, Teuta the Untameable sounds like my kinda gal.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »

Don't be embarrassed about Dark Shadows - terrific fun. I read the books and watched the movie in the seventies when it was absolutely non-cool to do so.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2020, 09:34:57 AM »

Whilst I consider the other categories, I'm going to leap in and say my favourite book this year was The Thursday Murder Club by Russell Osman - with Jasper fforde's The Constant Rabbit a close second
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 03:12:53 PM »

Dark looks interesting, will check it out.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.