in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 187 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

The Green Turtle

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: The Green Turtle  (Read 159 times)

gregjh

message icon
The Green Turtle
« on: December 13, 2020, 03:49:57 AM »

https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=38290

Part of my Fizzfop reading corner but this comic is so unique that I felt it deserved its own section. The video explaining the rather unique history of the comic and its author is here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB1IZoHUA7k

A short summary is that the author was obliged not to reveal the face of The Green Turtle (TGT) so as to keep his ethnicity secret. For the same reason, he has no established backstory or origin.

I was also intrigued by TGT as I have part-Chinese children of my own.

I found the limitations on the character to be refreshing in practice. Rather than TGT being dropped into mix of nitric acid and secret formula, into which a turtle accidentally fell at the same time as the machine was switched on, we are thrust into highly sensitive (and not unrealistic) tales of brutality and conflict between China and Japan. Japan is very much the villain in the comics and TGT is a mythical character swooping in (literally) to save his people. He casts a large shadow as a substitute for his face (you will understand when you see and read it) and operates a ridiculous but charming aircraft out of a secret mountain hideout.

So yes, the corny comics stereotypes still exist but the political and ethnic context is something different. The different nationalities - Chinese, Japanese, Burmese (who would now be known as Myanmar) are all drawn accurately and differently, rather than the lazy or uninformed way others may have drawn them, particularly at that time. It?s certainly true that one group is cast as a villain but it very much reflects the political mentality of the Chinese at the era being portrayed.

As for the overall plot, it moves quickly and nicely. 

Overall, I give TGT 8/10 and look forward to the next story.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.