in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Sherlock Holmes

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

topic icon Author Topic: Sherlock Holmes  (Read 14349 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Sherlock Holmes
« Reply #100 on: June 25, 2021, 06:57:58 PM »

Does anyone here recognize a Sherlock Holmes film that begins with the discovery of a human torso on a beach, the only identifiable mark being a seaman's tattoo?
Later a curse is read that includes the line "and none shall go whole to his grave".

YYES!!! It's the very 1st Holmes film I ever saw, and I have only recently watched the RESTORED version of it on DVD, TWICE!

It's "THE HOUSE OF FEAR" with Basil Rathbone & Nigel Bruce.  It's very loosely based on "The Five Orange Pips".

(If I'm wrong I'll be very surprised.)
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #101 on: June 25, 2021, 11:51:53 PM »

The House of Fear is on YouTube, but doesn't seem to start the way you describe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHPT3rS5bI
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #102 on: June 26, 2021, 03:59:34 AM »

The House of Fear is on YouTube, but doesn't seem to start the way you describe. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wHPT3rS5bI

At 10:28 into the film Holmes is told of the curse of the Allister family ( the previous members being blown apart or eaten by cannibals, etc.)and Drearcliffe house where "none goes whole to his grave".

I probably have the order of events confused, or the film may have existed in a shorter edited form for TV.

PS
It just occurred to me that what I remembered most clearly was not the film itself but the lead in teaser when the film was shown on a local channel back in the early 60's. I remember one channel showed a different  Rathbone Sherlock Holmes film every saturday.
We could only pick up about three regular TV networks but there were a dozen or so small UHF stations vying for viewers and some had extensive film libraries. I may have actually seen the original uncut version of Metropolis on one of these channels, probably the last time it was shown due to the film breaking every few minutes.
Knoxville Tn is nearby and was and perhaps still is the home of many who were involved in writing scripts for the movies and TV. An unusual number of highly respected authors lived there or spent a lot of time there as well.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 09:21:05 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #103 on: June 26, 2021, 01:08:05 PM »

I've tuned in movies already in progress many times, sometimes the same film, missing less each time (heh). Some of my favorites, I originally walked in on the middle of.

With TCM, there was a stretch where I used to go to their website, where they had a monthly schedule posted in advance.  I'd create my own "calendar" of films I might potentially want to watch.  That was the only way I could know what films were coming on when, and stop turning them on at random.

My first exposure to Sherlock Holmes was in the late 60s (I think) when Philly's Channel 17 ran the Basil Rathbone films on Saturday nights at 11 PM.  They ran 13 of them in rotation.  Some I watched multiple times, one or two, only once.  It's odd how that happened.

From the book "THE GREAT MOVIE SERIES", I learned there were 14 Rathbone films.  Maddeningly, the 1st one-- "THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES" -- had been YANKED out of circulation in 1959, so as not to "compete" with the new version from Hammer Films.  Absurd!  I'm glad they don't pull this S*** anymore.

So, my first exposure to "HOUND" was when 17 ran the Peter Cushing film on a Saturday afternoon in 1972.  As it happens, the SAME day, ABC ran their unsold pilot starring Stewart Granger.  Imagine, 2 versions of the same story in one day.  Crazy enough, I haven't seen the Granger film since then, but if it's available out there, I plan to get a copy of it before long.

The Rathbone film was reissued to theatres around 1979, but as happened with so many things, I missed it.  Sometime later, it turned up on a local Philly channel.  I initially taped it off whatever UHF channel that ran it, then, maybe a decade or more later, rented a copy of it from my video store, and made a (slightly fuzzy) copy. 

I watched all 14 Rathbones in sequence for the first time ever about 3 years ago, on Youtube.  Then last year I got the MPI box set, with all 14, and have watched it twice so far.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 01:12:57 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #104 on: June 26, 2021, 04:01:06 PM »

My first exposure to Sherlock Holmes 

I had seen 'Young Sherlock Holmes' about when it came out.

Oh, then you NEED to see the 1922 "SHERLOCK HOLMES" with John Barrymore.

For a film based on the stage play, the entire first act (about 25 minutes) was all-new material, and when I saw it the other week, I SWORE that part of the film almost had to be the main inspiration for "YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES".

The funny thing is, I hated the Spielberg film, yet I enjoyed the Barrymore one.  Weird, huh?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #105 on: June 26, 2021, 04:15:15 PM »

Got the Rathbone box DVD set 7 or 8 years ago and watched all of them.

I've been trying to watch anything I buy these days TWICE before moving on (the time frame involved can vary).  Monday nights have become my Sherlock Holmes night, with special snacks each time (pizza, bacon cheese fries, calzones, etc.).  I've been making a real "event" of it.  I spent 28 WEEKS watching the Rathbones.  14 the first time around, 14 the 2nd time.  Then I started buying films from the 1930s. And earlier.

Considering I've seen most of these back when I was a little kid, some many times, it blows my mind HOW DAMN MUCH I enjoyed the entire set.  Some will argue about which films are better or less than the others, and while that may be, I enjoyed ALL of them immensely. The fact that the 12 Universals have all been extensively "restored" to look the best they've probably ever been in my lifetime goes a long way.  There's a set of trailers included, and looking at those, really reminds you of HOW BAD some of these films have looked on TV for decades.

One thing I got a tremendous kick ot of, was after all this time, suddenly realizing that the Universals utilized a sort of "stock company" of actors, many of the same people who kept turning up in film after film playing different roles.  I hadn't seen anything quite this extensive like that since watching the Maury Chaykin-Timothy Hutton "NERO WOLFE" tv series.

One amusing example, the guy who played Stapleton in the 1939 "HOUND" turned up as the Prince in 'PURSUIT TO ALGIERS".  I kept looking at the guy and thinking, "Why does he look familiar?"  Heh.   ;D

Even the one many consider the least of the "World War 2" stories, "...IN WASHINGTON", I get a kick out of the main villain being George Zucco, with Henry Danielle being one of his main henchmen.  (That's 2 Moriarty's in 1 film!) I particulary like the bit where Holmes insists the man who has the microfilm doesn't realize it.  And, of course, at the end, he proves it... when he TAKES it back from Zucco!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #106 on: June 26, 2021, 04:16:48 PM »

Oh S***.  I accidentally hit the wrong button and deleted a message.  I gotta be more careful at this board.  Seems a glitch in the design that a moderator should be able to do that, BY ACCIDENT.  Sorry!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #107 on: June 26, 2021, 04:19:33 PM »

This was posted by THE AUSTRALIAN PANTHER:

You know what, I have no idea. Have to think about that.
Seems like I've always been aware of Holmes.
Became more aware only in the last 20 years.
Read all Conan Doyle's Holmes stories about 15 years ago, and since then many many althernate Holmes and spin-off book series, I had seen 'Young Sherlock Holmes' about when it came out. Got the Rathbone box DVD set 7 or 8 years ago and watched all of therm.
Probably some Holmes films were on TV late at night when I was too young to remember the details.

(I had to hit "go back" several times to grab and copy this.  My apologies!)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #108 on: June 26, 2021, 06:06:38 PM »

This was posted by THE AUSTRALIAN PANTHER:

You know what, I have no idea. Have to think about that.
Seems like I've always been aware of Holmes.
Became more aware only in the last 20 years.
Read all Conan Doyle's Holmes stories about 15 years ago, and since then many many althernate Holmes and spin-off book series, I had seen 'Young Sherlock Holmes' about when it came out. Got the Rathbone box DVD set 7 or 8 years ago and watched all of therm.
Probably some Holmes films were on TV late at night when I was too young to remember the details.

(I had to hit "go back" several times to grab and copy this.  My apologies!)   

My first exposure to Sherlock Holmes was watching the 1930s and 1940s feature films on TV.  When TV started getting into homes in Western Canada around 1954-55, there were few regularly-scheduled TV shows, other than live TV, and a couple hours each evening with some American and British shows.  The major entertainment was watching feature films from the 1930s and 1940s (mostly British and US).  I loved the US Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce series, and the few British Holmes films from the 1930s.  They made me interested to read "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", "The Return of Sherlock Holmes", and "The Hound of The Baskervilles" in book form, checked out from my local and school libraries.  I also found a few Holmes comic books from the 1940s and early 1950s amongst my cousins' comic books One or two of them were Classics Illustrated, and there were a couple from other publishers.  They were okay, but a little disappointing.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #109 on: June 26, 2021, 07:10:23 PM »

I found Holmes through the stories way back when I was early teens. I loved them.  Still do.  The films were ok and I remember seeing The Hound with Basil Rathbone first time and loving it, but some of the others in the run were boring and I've tried to watch them again and never got to the end. Perhaps the faux London sets annoyed me. I did enjoy Christopher Plummer in Murder By Decree but that could also be because of my interest in the ripper.
( There's an excellent tv show with Rupert Penry Jones, the always enjoyable Phil Davis - the taxi driver in Sherlock - , and the strange Steve Pemberton, in Whitechapel. A review said, "It is all in the worst possible taste and bloody good fun")
Much later I listened to the radio plays with Clive Merrison and Michael Williams and earlier episodes with John Gielgud.  But my favourite Holmes is still Jeremy Brett. 
As for the comic adaptations, I've already mentioned some of them and as someone mentioned, some of the French stories are excellent. 
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #110 on: June 27, 2021, 02:47:39 AM »

I've wracked my brain trying to recall when I first met Sherlock Holmes, but as has already been said, he seems always to have been around. I'm pretty sure it was early in junior high school (for non-Yanks, that's around age 11-12). The library had an old omnibus "complete stories" volume which I devoured. At the time old Hollywood movies were a staple of late-night TV and I saw some of the Rathbone films then. In college, a freshman English teacher, Clive Miller, ran a weekly movie series. He showed nice prints of classic and semi-classic films. It was there I saw most of the Golden Age greats and not-so-greats, including several Rathbone Holmes films. During the Holmes fad in the late 70s (?) I bought the two-volume Annotated Sherlock Holmes set. I enjoyed all the cultural and historical background. Though I like the character and the movies I've seen, I'm not a rabid Holmes fan and haven't watched most of the newer material. For instance I've not seen a single Jeremy Brett episode. I did see The Private Life when it came out. I enjoyed it then but I barely remember it.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #111 on: June 27, 2021, 02:54:02 PM »

I briefly considered doing an Arthur Conan Doyle blog project (to go along with Jules Verne & Edgar Allan Poe) but I've long since given up on it.  There's just TOO MUCH of any one of these "classic" authors to do more than one.  Especially when one begins investigating comics from overseas.

A TON of SHERLOCK HOLMES comics are to be found, for example, just in the Mexican TESORO DE CUENTOS CLASICOS series alone.  This home-grown "Classics Illustrated" started out reprinting Dell Comics, then quickly switched to originals by Mexican writers & artists.  At some point they began featuring SHERLOCK HOLMES and ARSENE LUPIN comics regularly, later switched to Asian mythology, and then, in the early 70s, becoming an anthology focused on vampire stories.  All without changing the title of the series!

You can browse the covers at the Tebeosfera database site in Spain...

https://www.tebeosfera.com/colecciones/tesoro_de_cuentos_clasicos_1957_sea_novaro.html
« Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 09:57:01 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #112 on: June 27, 2021, 03:02:12 PM »

#86  (Oct6'64)

#90  (Feb'65)

#91  (Mar'65)

#92  (Apr'65)

Holmes returns in #161 (Jan'71), but the later stories appear to be originals rather than adaptations, most dealing with supernatural mysteries.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:08:36 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #113 on: June 27, 2021, 03:18:23 PM »

NOVELAS INMORTALES #136
(Novedades Editores / Mexico / 1980)

This DIGEST-size series of home-grown Mexican "Classic" adaptations ran for at least 859 issues, and also did several other Arthur Conan Doyle stories, but the only SHERLOCK HOLMES I've found so far is their version of "The Hound of the Baskervilles".

Some sellers on Ebay are putting these up for sale a few at a time, and every so often I try to go there looking to see if I can find issues I haven't seen before.  I download the cover images and add the info to my own slowly-growing index... and if any POE comics turn up, GRAB 'em before they disappear!!!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:23:19 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #114 on: June 27, 2021, 03:31:10 PM »

JOYAS DE LA LITERATURA presenta CLASICOS DE TERROR #3
(Novedades Editores / Mexico / Aug 30 1999)

JDLL is a COLOR series from the same publisher as the B&W NOVELAS INMORTALES, with entirely-DIFFERENT versions of many of the same stories!

CLASICOS DE TERROR was a short-lived reprint series focvusing on "horror" stories.  I have not yet found which issue of JDLL featured "The Sussex Vampire", but here's the reprint!  That cover painting of Holmes looks noticably like Peter Cushing!

JDLL also did a number of NON-Holmes Doyle stories, including "THE LOST WORLD".
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 03:35:06 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #115 on: June 28, 2021, 01:13:16 AM »

Thank you prof. Reminded me that there was a Spanish Holmes movie produced recently.
I think it was this one.
Holmes & Watson. Madrid Days (2012)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-ADA9KcuiQ

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2108535/?ref_=ttls_li_tt

Also Here is a fan-made list of Holmes movies and TV shows.
All Sherlock Holmes Movies and Series
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls066973103/

Almost certainly needs updating.

More from me later.   

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #116 on: June 28, 2021, 02:44:42 AM »

I don't actually have any of those Mexican comics.  I might, if I could read Spanish... or, was doing a HOLMES blog project.  The POE blog project turned out to be far more enormous than I could ever have imagined.  I can barely keep up with that, and certain items (like the one I'm working on now) are so time-consuming, I wonder at times if I'll ever get much farther into it.

If I get my new computer set up (it's disgraceful I haven't done it yet), and then get a copy of LIGHTWAVE... well, that may be it for me and the "classics".

We'll see.

Friday I picked my my new Blu-Ray player.  Fortunately, TODAY, I opened the box.  Now, I KNEW it probably didn't have "RCA" jacks, only an "USB" jack.  The online ad specified it did not come with a cable.  But, I had ALREADY bought a USB cable-- AND, a comverter box!!!! -- several months ago, just in case I needed them.

But when I opened the TINY little remote... it required 2 "AAA" batteries.  As it happens... I had 2 "AAA" batteries from a 4-pack.  BUT!!!!! -- one of them was LEAKING.

SON OF A B**** !!!!!    >:(

Oh well.  I'll be out at work tomorrow.  While I'm out, I will be getting batteries.  Because I have ONE movie I haven't seen yet, and it's A BLU-RAY.

Talk about getting right down to the (heh) "wire".
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 02:46:45 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #117 on: June 28, 2021, 04:11:21 AM »

I said that I would have more to say about Arsene Lupin and that I would use the Sherlock Holmes thread to do so. Reason being that Maurice Le Blanc created Lupin as a French 'response' [my choice of word] to Arthur Conan Doyle's creation Sherlock Holmes.
That can wait, but here I'm concerned with the current Netflix 'Lupin' series. This is a French series. I noted that the series is called Lupin and stars Omar Sy, who is pretty obviously of African extraction. As I've said on CB+ before, I don't like revisionism, so I was prepared to dislike it on principle.
Too quick.
It seem the character is, and I quote, 'Diop, a Senegalese immigrant brought to Paris as a child by his father., who gives his son, a novel containing the adventures of Lupin - before Diop's father is framed for theft, imprisoned and die by his own hand.
Maurice Leblanc's Arsene Lupin becomes a kind of Spiritual guide to the young Diop.
The series apparently continuely refers back to Leblanc's work and guides Diop's choices in life.
The creator, 'frontrunner' in US terms, George Kay has said, 'He uses the LeBlanc novels as inspiration and a get-out-jail-free card when he is stuck, taking ideas from the book and using them in new and different ways.
Leblanc was much more prolific than Conan Doyle having written 17 novels and 39 novellas. Like Holmes there have been many 'new' books and treatments'
This series has taken off in a big way, I imagine some of you have seen it and have comments to make.
' 'According to Netflix, Lupin is their second biggest original debut of all time.
It's in Netflix's top ten , first place in France, Belgium and Germany and 5 in Australia.
It doesn't appear to be a predominantly cerebral show like Holmes. It is described as having, 'extravagantly engineered high-speed chases, fast and gaudy escape set-pieces set against Parisian landmarks, and interesting scripts, an action blockbuster for grown-ups'
Well, I don't subscribe to Netflix and have no plans to do so, and I still have some reservations, but I will keep my eyes open for it, and hopefully will enjoy it.           

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #118 on: June 28, 2021, 12:21:53 PM »

Following a pile of appearances in TESORO DE CUENTOS CLASICOS, Arsene Lupin was spun off into his own series, with the same artist (I believe), who also did some issues of EL MONJE LOCO.

Arthur Conan Doyle was more productive than many realize, it's just that maybe HALF of all his books did not involve SHERLOCK HOLMES.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #119 on: June 28, 2021, 02:35:17 PM »

it's just that maybe HALF of all his books did not involve SHERLOCK HOLMES.

I misspoke there! I have (somewhere under one of my book piles ) the complete works of Conan Doyle.
It was. as I'm sure you are well aware Prof, a source of deep frustrating to him that nothing else he wrote was anywhere near as successful as the Holmes stories. Which is why he tried to kill Holmes off.

I was referring to the CANON, not the entirety of Doyle's work.

Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #120 on: July 03, 2021, 02:25:19 PM »

Looking for a late night movie to watch, I came across these two - was actually looking for the movie - The Strange Door- at the  time.
? la mani?re de Sherlock Holmes - Un film d'Henri Lepage (1955)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAz3d9XIt18

This is set in the 1950's and quite what it has to do with Holmes I don't yet know, having not yet watched it.

Sherlock Holmes : Le Signe Des Quatre | S?rie Culte | Archive INA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKKq9cY-Egc

Yes, The sign of Four.

This seems to be an episode of a French TV show called 'Les Grands Detectives'. If there are episodes of this show starring some of the other characters shown in the title of the episode, then its a series I would like to have in totality.

Enjoy!

« Last Edit: July 04, 2021, 06:21:13 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #121 on: July 03, 2021, 04:33:23 PM »

I just ran across one of the strangest stories.

It seems the first (of many) film adaptations of THE SIGN OF FOUR was made in early 1913 by the Thanhouser Film Corporation, and starred Harry Benham & Charles Gunn as Holmes & Watson.  Until yesterday, I had NEVER run across this one.

It seems that in January 1913, while the finished film was at the processing house, there was a catastroiphic fire, and the ENTIRE place burned to the ground, taking with it ALL the negatives for the completed film.  SHOCKING!

So, while the studio was being rebuilt, a newspaper article appeared noting the studio was planning to REMOUNT the film... and, they DID.  Same studio, same script, same cast of actors.  The 2nd version premiered in theatres on February 25, 1913.

I know some films involve multiple takes, sometimes months or more apart, as in the Liz Taylor "CLEOPATRA", the Roger Corman "THE TERROR", the Howard Hughes production "HIS KIND OF WOMAN", or, just about every film Stanley Kubrick ever did.  But this was the first time I've heard of a studio making an ENTIRE FILM twice, back-to-back, because of it being destroyed before they were able to run off any prints.

I went to at least a half-dozen websites, and only ONE of them mentioned the film's current status:

"UNCERTAIN".

So... NOBODY knows if any prints or negatives still exist, but they don't want to actually call it 'LOST", either.  Go figure.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 04:36:24 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2021, 03:25:36 PM »

DER HUND VON BASKERVILLE (1914)

Now this was really wild! More crime-comedy almost than murder mystery.  You know right from the beginning that Stapleton is the killer.  After several attempts on Sir Henry's life, Henry writes to invite Sherlock Holmes to look into the matter.  Stapleton blows up the mail box so the letter never gets sent... then, disguises himself as Holmes!

It get real fun when the real Holmes reads an account of Sir Henry in the newspaper, then tells Watson he wants to go take a look at this "Sherlock Holmes".  A really interesting bit of tech shows up when Holmes calls Watson via an electronic computer screen, and then we see Watson take an elevator to go to Holmes on another floor.

The butler, Barrymore, had been helping Stapleton early-on, but refuses to do so anymore, and so Stapleton frames him for the crimes.  But Holmes figures this out, and recruits Barrymore as his assistant. The wildest part of the film has to be when Holmes is briefly trapped in a bizarre underground lair beneath Stapleton's house, where the hound is kennelled.

More so than even the 1959 Hammer film, it's like they used Doyle's story as a rough starting point, then concocted an entirely-original new story around it.  This was apparently based on a 1907 stage play by the same screenwriter, Richard Oswald. 

Crazy enough, actor Alwin Neuss had played Holmes once before this, in "Den stjaalne millionobligation" (1911), and "DER HUND" was so successful, it spawned multiple sequels, several of them with Stapleton, Barrymore, Sir Henry & his fiancee all returning for new adventures & dangers.  It doesn't look like any of the other films are known to survive.  The only known copy of "DER HUND" was apparently found in an archive in Russia.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 05:38:48 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2021, 05:48:13 PM »

It appears that Alwin Neuss starred as Sherlock Holmes in 7 different films!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #124 on: July 13, 2021, 02:40:10 AM »

SHERLOCK HOLMES  (1932)

Clive Brook appeared as Holmes in 3 films.  THE RETURN OF SHERLOCK HOLMES (Paramount / 1929) was apparently the very 1st Holmes film with sound.  Although not a lost film, at the moment, this is not in circulation.  He then appeared in a short vignette in PARAMOUNT ON PARADE (Paramount / 1930).  the only copy I've seen of this for sale was a rather pricey one from a seller in Germany, who failed to mention what "Region" the disc was!

And then 2 years later, he appeared in SHERLOCK HOLMES (Fox / 1932).  This is a case of false advertising!  The credits allege it is "based" on William Gillette's stage play.  That may be, but this is not an adaptation of the play-- rather, it's a SEQUEL to it!  It picks up right where the play ends.  Holmes is planning to retire from detecting and marry Alice Faulkner.  Meanwhile, Moriarty is in the dock being convicted of murder, but swears that the 3 men responsible for his being there will all die before he does. I can see where this opening somewhat inspired the 1939 20th Century-Fox film THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES, except in that one, Moriarty was declared not guilty and freed, whereas in this one, he escapes from prison and murders the first man on his list.

In this story, Holmes has a long-standing feud with Scotland Yard detective Colonel Gore-King. More annoying than any Lestrade I've ever seen, he derides everything Holmes says, does or suggests, even when he (and his young protoge Billy) correctly figure out where the body of the murdered Judge was hidden.

Moriatry recruits a group of assassins and gangsters from several countries, who wind up going on a Chicago-style rampage, after it appears Holmes has been tricked into shooting Gore-King dead.  But the two have formed a truce, and faked the murder to bring Moriarty out of hiding.  Holmes further decudes the crime wave is merely a distraction from a bigger job-- robbing the bank owned by Alice's father, by tunnelling into it from the shop next door (shades of "The Red-Headed League").

Truthfully, this film reminds me, more than anything, of a mid-40s Universal Holmes film-- except, without Rathbone & Bruce.  At least, unlike nearly every silent film before it, Watson is shown to be a reliable friend (rather than a non-entity, or left out entirely).  But I've never seen "roaring 20s" style gangster violence in a Holmes film before!

The one wrong note, for me, sadly, is Alice Faulkner.  Miriam Jordan's pretty enough, but while I could accept Holmes admiring Irene Adler or Violet Hunter for their intelligence, Alice just seems a typically self-centered, vapid female.

Gore-King is played by Alan Mowbray, who wound up appearing n a couple of the Rathbone films, including a turn as Colonel Sebastian Moran in "TERROR BY NIGHT". The best part of the film is after his seeming murder, when he puts aside his former derision of Holmes and they truly become allies in the fight. It reminds of the change in Arthur Holmwood (Michael Gough) in the 1958 Hammer version of "DRACULA".

The Judge was C. Montague Shaw, who was The Clay King in "FLASH GORDON'S TRIP TO MARS" (1938) and Dr. Huer in "BUCK ROGERS" (1939).

Dr. Watson, who's only in the film briefly, is played by Reginald Owen, who a year later starred as Holmes in A STUDY IN SCARLET (1933).  He's probably best remembered as Ebineezer Scrooge in the 1938 version of "A CHRISTMAS CAROL".

Moriarty is played by Ernest Torrence, known for a whole string of rotten villains in silent films. 

Comic relief is supplied by Herbert Mundin as a bar owner.  I remember him mostly from "TARZAN ESCAPES" and "THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD".  His scenes look like they could have stepped right out of a late-50s Hammer Film, when it came to giving the audience a few laughs in between more intense scenes.

I enjoyed this for what it was, though I doubt it'll ever become a favorite of mine.  I suppose there's a number of reasons why this film is virtually forgotten.  Truthfully, it looks like it could use a nice restoration job.  The picture I could tolerate, but the sound on the disc was so low, I had to crank my stereo ALL the way up to hear.  I doubt I could hear it at all if I was running it thru that adapter box I needed to use with my Blu-Ray Player.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 02:50:11 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.