in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,824 books
 New: 181 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Santa

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Santa  (Read 216 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Santa
« on: December 25, 2020, 09:29:01 AM »

Here's a Christmas Quiz question - what's the best Santa comic book story you've ever read?

For me, it would be that Judge Dredd story (can't remember the origin) in which Dredd arrests Santa for housebreaking and sentences the old fella to twenty years in the cubes.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Santa
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 06:51:19 PM »

For me, it is Carl Barks' 1949 Dell Christmas Parade #1 Donald Duck story, "Letter To Santa", in which Donald and Uncle Scrooge have a steamshovel fight, and both dress up like Santa to deliver gifts to Huey, Dewey, and Louie.  After the 2 uncles dress up like Santa, but fail to fool their nephews, The real Santa Claus appears as well, and we learn how that overly fat man and his large, wide sack of toys all can fit through narrow chimneys.

I also like my colleague, Evert Geradts' 2010 Sinterklaas Dag story, "De Valse Sint" (The Fake Santa), from Dutch "Donald Duck Weekblad" (Donald Duck Weekly) Nr. 48 from that year, which has Oom Dagobert (Uncle Scrooge) as a villain, trying to collect his rents, potentially ruining a lot of good people's Christmas time. It was drawn by my colleague, Sander Gulien.

« Last Edit: December 25, 2020, 07:05:18 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2020, 12:18:28 AM »

Yes, its pretty hard to go past Barks Christmas stories.
For a while there, every Christmas Disney created a new Christmas Story for the newspaper strips, which would go on for a month or so and reach a Climax the day before Christmas. Don't know if they have ever been collected or who wrote and drew them. 
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 01:50:25 AM »

Yes, its pretty hard to go past Barks Christmas stories.
For a while there, every Christmas Disney created a new Christmas Story for the newspaper strips, which would go on for a month or so and reach a Climax the day before Christmas. Don't know if they have ever been collected or who wrote and drew them.

Yes, they were collected in two deluxe hardbound long-format volumes, in a similar series to a collection of The Donald Duck Al Taliaferro strips, and The Disney Silly Symphonies strips, all done by US comic book publisher, IDW.  A few of my friends, including an ex-colleague of mine with Danish Disney (Egmont) worked on that project.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.