in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: 1984  (Read 460 times)

Andrew999

message icon
« on: January 04, 2021, 10:05:38 AM »

In this new world of post-truth, a new BD by Jean-Christophe Derrien and R?mi Torregrossa of 1984 could not have arrived at a more appropriate time.

The essence of Orwell's masterpiece is of course the desire of an authoritarian government to maintain control of every aspect of our lives through fear, the manipulation of news and the crushing of dissent - not only physical dissent but even any thoughts of dissent the population might dare to hold.

Ring any bells?

It occurs to me that one novel or BD isn't enough to explore Orwell's world - it could easily stretch to a series. I also wonder whether there have been any earlier comic book adaptations of Orwell's book - I'm not aware of any but some of the experts on this site might know different:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nineteen_Eighty-Four

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: 1984
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 01:23:52 PM »

I also wonder whether there have been any earlier comic book adaptations of Orwell's book - I'm not aware of any but some of the experts on this site might know different

Not sure, but I did recently pick up a book by Eric Blair, who wrote as George Orwell, called 'Politics and the English Language and other essays' in which he expounds on the subjects he covers in 1984 and quite a bit besides. One of the highlights is his analysis of the meaning of 'Gulliver's Travels' which was conceived of as a work of satire and social commentary. I'll never look at that book the same way again.
Blair's work is currently PD in Canada, which info might help you find a copy, if you are interested
cheers!       
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.