in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Doc Savage License

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Doc Savage License  (Read 2693 times)

tonydax

message icon
Doc Savage License
« on: January 13, 2021, 06:46:03 AM »

Hello,
I don't know if I'm in the right place to ask? Do you know where I can contact the licensor of doc savage for a French edition?

Best,

- Tony
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Doc Savage License
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 07:52:42 AM »

Since 'Dynamite' did the last US run of Doc Savage, I would try there.

Lots of Luck.
Note that it was being considered for a TV show early last year.
https://deadline.com/2020/02/doc-savage-tv-series-in-works-sony-pictures-tv-original-film-conde-nast-1202863245/

They don't usually do that unless they have the rights sewn up. 

Cond? Nast acquired the Street & Smith Library in 1959.

Conde' Nast is the company to contact by the sound of it.
Street and Smith properties also include 'the Shadow'

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »

I have yet to read or see a pulp accurate rendition of Doc Savage that captures the soul and character of Lester Dent's writing. Doc Savage with Ron Ely came the closest but was derailed with horrid camp midstream; the team characters however were interesting and engaging from what I recall. Tonydax, I hope you somehow are able to wrangle and acquire production rights and if you do, please produce something that has never been done before and give us all a proper Doc Savage. The boat that's missed is that Doc's team is just as important as he is with paramount, crucial contributions. The tone of the stories always needs the fear, struggle and dire circumstances they all work together to surmount and there in lies its inherent strength. Not a weak story just for entertainment value, but unnerving real fear and threat that people can be gripped by and swept up into. Accomplish this and you will have a winner beyond measure IMO
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 05:51:52 PM by The Ghost Man »
ip icon Logged

tonydax

message icon
Re: Licence Doc Savage
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 07:29:12 AM »

Thank you for the answer.
But Doc SAVAGE's TV series never came out?
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 05:17:11 PM »

No, it has not been released and appears to not even be in production currently. "Reports have stated that the film hasn't started production yet because director Shane Black wants to keep the film in the '30s, but Sony wants it to be set in modern times." Shane Black refuses to do that so that could be an issue setting it back, in general it takes an absurdly long time to get film projects green-lighted. If this finally does get authorised, then all associated Doc Savage licensing properties could be claimed by them which could subsequently cause serious issues receiving any competitive licensing agreements.

Source:
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1606752/trivia?ref_=tt_trv_trv

Question: Why not develop a brand new character or team based off of the concept but even better? Justice Inc (The Avenger), Lobster Johnson and The Shadow all have teams loosely based off of the Doc Savage archetype. You would then own the exclusive rights to it and all associated creative content produced.
ip icon Logged

tonydax

message icon
Re: Licence Doc Savage
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2021, 10:31:41 AM »

Hi, 8)
thank you for all these precisions !
But I can't find a contact for the Doc Savage comic book at Cond?Nast ???
Sincerely,
:o
ip icon Logged

John Kerry

message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2021, 04:54:04 PM »

I managed to find a link to a history of Doc Savage publications in France but unfortunately it is now dead.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2021, 07:26:14 AM »

Anyone know if Sony's plan for a new Doc Savage TV series is still live?
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 01:34:29 AM »

I would hope he would win and the movie would be set in the 1930's
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.