in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Lady Penelope - Thunderbirds

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Lady Penelope - Thunderbirds  (Read 1309 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Lady Penelope - Thunderbirds
« on: January 22, 2021, 04:28:38 PM »

Today marks the 55th anniversary of the launch of Lady Penelope magazine.

This was probably the first comic I used to regularly steal from my sister - pretty sure Lady Penelope was my first crush - although Rhapsody from Captain Scarlet's Angels came pretty close. Sadly, neither returned my feelings

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lady_Penelope_(comic)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Lady Penelope - Thunderbirds
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2021, 07:28:31 PM »

When I met Lady Penelope I found her rather wooden and stiff, and she wanted to put too many strings on me.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2021, 03:56:01 AM »

I heard that once, or maybe more than once, the puppeteers would go home and when they returned the next work day someone had rearranged the marionettes to put Penelope into an x-rated position with another marionette.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 06:10:25 AM »

The Shadows Lady Penelope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFOglYj-tKw

THUNDERBIRDS 2004 Hello Boys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiwZ8qeUZF0

Why did I avoid this movie at the time? I can be too much of a snob for my own good. Some great double-edged dialogue here. Going to have to track down a copy.   
That car - awesome!
There were Lady Penelope comics, but later than 1960. Paw can tell us more about those.
Cheers!   
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 06:29:59 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 07:06:43 AM »

I never saw the 2004 movie neither - I was working abroad at the time - but I see Sophia Myles was the Lady - that sounds perfect casting - must catch up with it
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 10:03:03 AM »

I never saw the 2004 movie neither - I was working abroad at the time - but I see Sophia Myles was the Lady - that sounds perfect casting - must catch up with it

I think Lady Penelope was patterned after Joan Greenwood.
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Joan+Greenwood&&view=detail&mid=36CF304355F0167123A336CF304355F0167123A3&&FORM=VDRVRV
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:49:31 PM »

I don't remember that episode too well, but I have it on tape and I know I've seen it a couple of times.  (Assuming it's one of the HOUR-long ones, of course.  My disappointing PBS station NEVER ran the earlier half-hour ones, which infuriated me back in the late 80s.)

Many characters are based on real people (or other characters), and I never gave it much thought who Lady Peneleope Creighton-Ward might be absed on.  It could be a YOUNGER Joan Greenwood!

THUNDERBIRDS started in 1965.  However, my understanding is that the LADY PENELOPE AND PARKER comic-strip started in the related magazine before the show did.  Now here's where it gets crazy.  Apparently, Sylvia Anderson wanted to do a LADY PENELOPE AND PARKER tv series.  But Gerry Anderson wanted to do a show about big vehicles.  People vs. machines.  Hmm.  Somehow... they compromised, and, in the words of my friend in Wales, "It was a MATCH MADE IN HELL".

On the one hand, you have a humanitarian non-profit outfit set up to save lives in times of modern disasters.  But, they're OBSESSED with absolute top-secret security, and employ "agents" around the world, including a pair who are obviously EX-CRIMINALS.  (Well, certainly, "Nosey" Parker was.) And they're ABSOLUTELY ruthless and incredibly VIOLENT and destructive when it's called for, in total contrast to their exagerated genteel behavior and manner of speech.  They're like John Steed and Cathy Gale to the NTH degree.  (Or maybe Albert Campion and Magersfonteen Lugg, whose adventures go back to the late 1920s!)

The show was TOTALLY SCHIZO.  One or the other would have made more sense.  Together...

My friend in Wales also lamented that when executive Lew Grade decided-- MIDWAY into production-- that the show should be an HOUR instead of a half-hour (a full half of all the episodes in season 1 had to be extended after-the-fact), they added more scenes with the machines, instead of fleshing out the personalities of the characters.

So the characters on THUNDERBIRDS were NEVER as well fleshed-out as they'd been on FOUR FEATHER FALLS, SUPERCAR, FIREBALL XL5 or STINGRAY.

Before it came out, I did not have hopes for the 2004 film.  But I went anyway.  A LOT of people have knocked it terribly.  Surprislngly, I'm not one of them.  You see... I saw THUNDERBIRDS ARE GO! in a theatre.  And later, I rented THUNDERBIRD 6.  I've seen both several times.  THEY'RE BOTH TERRIBLE.  The writing is AWFUL.  Neither is even a fraction as good as the TV series they spun off from.

But the 2004 THUNDERBIRDS... despite clearly taking place in a separate continuity, and focusing MOST of its run-time on ALAN (as did the 2 previous features) and LADY PENELOPE... and coming across as a "sci-fi" version of HARRY POTTER (heh)... "worked".  I liked it so much, I went to see it TWICE.

Hilariously, the personalities of the other Tracys were EXACTLY as on the original TV show.  Which is to say, they almost don't have any.  But Alan was nicely fleshed out, in fact MUCH more likable than the "spoiled" younger brother he'd been on the 60s show.  And Lady Penelope... WOW.

I'm in the middle of a LONG Gerry Anderson marathon, in which I'm BUYING the various series on DVD as I go.  And the 2004 film is DEFINITELY on my "wanted" list.  Even if Gerry Anderson himself officially DENOUNCED it as "the worst thing he'd ever seen".  (He was NOT getting one cent for it.  Of course he'd say that.)

My friend in Wales & I have concluded that THUNDERBIRDS (1965) was the point where Gerry & Sylvia's marriage began to disintegrate.  It took a long while... and SPACE: 1999 was the final nail in that coffin.  A shame, but these things happen.

By the time Gerry got RE-married (his 3rd marriage, I just learned, not his 2nd)... he must have had some kind of "wake-up call".  TERRAHAWKS and SPACE PRECINCT had the BEST writing of any series he ever did.  Especially SPACE PRECINCT.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 10:56:00 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2021, 05:03:13 AM »

Fascinating post prof!

May I suggest a tip for those hour-long Thunderbirds episodes - that you play them at 1.25x?

When you watch them straight, it's quite clear that some shots were stretched to almost breaking point to fit the one-hour schedule demanded. I've found that playing them at a slightly elevated speed (the same speed incidentally that many stations play old movies) helps to regain the natural rhythm of the show.

I could never get into Terrahawks but I adored Space Precinct - couldn't understand why there was only one series.

But the journey is not yet complete. Let me introduce you to Nero Jones and the First Action Bureau:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlHRDodiyeI

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2021, 04:51:18 PM »

Fascinating post prof!

Thanks! 

FIREBALL XL5 was my introduction to science-fiction, and Dr. Venus was my first TV crush (heh).  For 4 years in Catholic school, there was a girl in my class who looked just like her!

But the show vanished completely from Philly stations in September '65 and to my knowledge, has never been seen here since.  FIREBALL XL5 was the very 1st DVD box set I bought, 3-1/2 years ago.  Since, I feel like I'm re-living the 60s, only better (my schedule, no commercials, better picture & sound quality).

May I suggest a tip for those hour-long Thunderbirds episodes - that you play them at 1.25x?

;D

The CBS Late Movie started doing that in the mid-80s. It was infuriating.  I have several episodes of THE NEW AVENGERS recorded that way.  VERY much looking forward to upgrading that entire series (from Honor Blackman all the way to Joanna Lumley) on DVD eventually.

I could never get into Terrahawks but I adored Space Precinct - couldn't understand why there was only one series.

I thought the characters were more real and "human" than any show Anderson had done since STINGRAY.  Especially "Sergeant-Major Zero" (Windsor Davies), the robot shaped like a basketball, who was IN LOVE with Mary Falconer.

I loved that so much of the show was played as a comedy.

The Philly AND New York City stations than ran SPACE PRECINCT seemed hell-bent on sabotaging it.  The Philly startion ran it Saturdays at 11:30 PM, then stopped halfwway thru the season (EXACTLY what the same station had done with the 1st season of "SPACE: 1999" 2 decades earlier).

Luckily my cable had the NYC station that also ran it.  They had it on 12:30 AM, then 1:30 AM, then moved it to Sunday nights at 2:30 AM.  It's a miracle I managed to record the whole season.

I heard a rumor there was a 2nd season, bt it never showed up.

DECADES later... I discovered at the IMDB that they had actually started a 2nd season... but, JUST like "THUNDERBIRDS", they only did 6 new episodes.

Assumng these are on DVD, I'm very much looking to getting them.  But I have a lot ahead of it.

I'm currently watching "UFO"-- intact for the very first time.  Sci-Fi cut 6 MINUTES from every episode in the 90s, and the show has always been run COMPLETELY out of sequence.  My friend in Wales insists that because the show "had" to be able to run in any order (WHY do networks insist on such CRAP?) the "big story" was never allowed to ever make any real progress.  Not like so many shows do these days.  But watching in production order, I see many subtle continuity bits COMPLETELY destreoyed by the previous running order, so even flawed as it is, it's still much better to my eyes than it ever had been.

Next up for my Anderson marathon wil be "THE PROTECTORS" with Robert Vaughn.  After that, I actually have NO intention of buying "SPACE: 1999", as I just dislike it that much.  I really wish all the pre-production work they'd put into it had instead gone toward its original intention-- an upgraded 2nd season of "UFO".  Nothing about "1999" makes sense on any level.

After that, my next show to go after will be X-BOMBER (alias STAR FLEET), the Japanese puppet show that apparently inspired TERRAHAWKS.  I've never seen it, though I've loved the UK theme song for decades, and a few weeks back saw the video someone did of it, which included clips from the series.

And them, if it's available, I'd like to upgrade my entire set of "THUNDERBIRDS 2086" to DVD.  I've loved that Japanese cartoon since the 80s, when a friend at work tediously would record EACH episode for me off of Prism (he had that channel, I didn't).  Every 2 weeks I'd loan him the tapes and he'd record the show for me, bring it in, I'd watch the new episode, then give him the tape back.  What an incredibly tedious, complex way to get ahold of a TV series.  And we got thru the entire show that way!!!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 05:03:41 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2021, 05:10:05 PM »

Brian May & Friends:  STAR FLEET

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UypAOUMXk
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2021, 05:31:08 PM »

It's a shame none of you have mentioned Space Patrol - not the American live show, the puppet show.  It's my favourite of all the puppet shows.  Captain Dart and Galasphere 347
Gamma rays on; yobba rays on; meson power on. 
Watch some here:-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvOll3VTPM_nounppIeRHxQ/videos
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2021, 09:47:04 AM »

How could we forget Space Patrol?

Meanwhile, for the true enthusiast, we shouldn't forget X-Bomber, the origin of the Brian May video and Interster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Bomber
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2021, 03:58:24 PM »

How could we forget Space Patrol?

Meanwhile, for the true enthusiast, we shouldn't forget X-Bomber, the origin of the Brian May video and Interster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interster

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-Bomber

An episode of the South African series worth checking out. English subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9vf7OQ1X7g
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
Re: Lady Penelope - Thunderbirds - Gerry Anderson
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2021, 11:24:30 AM »

Good news for Supermarionation fans - the Anderson company appears to be upping its game:

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/gerry-anderson-thunderbirds-ufo-books-newsupdate/
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.