in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Comic Book Quotes

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Comic Book Quotes  (Read 271 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Comic Book Quotes
« on: February 03, 2021, 10:03:25 AM »

What would be your favourite comic book quotes?

I've always found Superman's "You are stronger than you think you are" something to cling to when times got rough.

Then there's Batman's "It?s not what I do that defines me but who I am underneath." Actually, that's the exact opposite to what Batman said - but then he's a dark angel in disguise - that's what makes him so intriguing.

The best comes from Lord Snooty (aka Lord Marmaduke of Bunkerton) - "Every day should start with marmalade"
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Comic Book Quotes
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:50 AM »

I'm happy you mentioned Lord Snooty.  But for me it has to be, "Jings, crivvens, help ma boab"  A classic and oft repeated from The Broons, and I suppose Oor Wullie.
The 2 Green Lantern oaths:
"... and I shall shed my light over dark evil.
For the dark things cannot stand the light,
The light of the Green Lantern!"
and
"In brightest day, in blackest night,
No evil shall escape my sight!
Let those who worship evil's might
Beware my power, Green Lantern's light!"
Forget all the other coloured Lanterns.  As the song says, "The original is still the greatest"

As a Phantom phan, I must post Ghost Who Walks oaths.  The original from the Singh Brotherhood is:-
"I swear vengeance against the Singh, against all piracy, greed and cruelty. I swear that as long as my descendants walk the earth, the eldest male of the family shall carry out my work."
The wording changed over time but the accepted form is:-
"I swear to devote my life to the destruction of piracy, greed, and cruelty, in all their forms, and my sons and their sons, shall follow me."
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 01:41:06 PM »

Well, when I think of quotes, I think more of one-liners than Oaths. Allthough, With Great Power comes great responsibility' is up there.
Co-incidentally I am currently also on another site where I am face to face with some popeye.
So there I have, ' I yam what I yam!' 'Well, blow me down' and 'Let's you and him fight!'  All titles of Fantagraphics collections also. But also I am currently enjoying Tony DePaul's writing on the Phantom comic strip.
He does this so well that I had to go back and read it again after first reading it for the plot, before I appreciated the humour.
Phantom at night behind a sentry Phantom: ' Nothing ever happens on the night shift does it?'
Panel 2 Phantom Punches him out, ' Of course as soon as you take that attitude..'
Panel 3 The guy is lying unconscious on the ground. Phantom,: I meant to soften him up for an interview'
2/ The Phantom is driving and talking on a phone to Diana who is back in the skull cave.  The woman he has rescued has disappeared.
Phantom: '[she] took one of my sidearms.
Diana: ' Good, at least we know she can defend herself'
Phantom: 'She also took one of the cars that came with the house.'
Next panel, Phantom, 'I'm going to get a terrible AirBnb review, aren't I?'
Next panel, Diana: I'll send the owner some money today Kit, for the car [she] took.
Phantom: 'It was a nice car. Send plenty.....'
Next panel [Phantom laughing] ; 'Oh, and send a little extra. I took their satellite phone...' 
And there are a couple of good ones in that story that I haven't shared. 
No real spoilers, I think. 
The way DePaul writes Heloise - now out and very independent - and the relationship with her father is superb.
Heloise: ' My name is Heloise Walker. Anybody who has a problem with me ....can come around and just see what happens.'
Next panel: She walks off into the distance.
As they watch her walk off:
President Luaga;" Blood of 21 Phantoms speaking.....'   
Phantom: 'You know it!'
It seriously impressed me that the strip has a writer that knows to give the  character that kind of perspective. 
Cheers!     
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 02:29:46 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 05:35:17 PM »

Yes, you're right Panther.  I got carried away - reading too many Phantom stories ::)
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.