in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Fates Worse Than Death

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Fates Worse Than Death  (Read 492 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Fates Worse Than Death
« on: February 05, 2021, 09:23:51 AM »

Watching an old episode of Danger Man (Secret Agent Man in the US) on a popular video sharing website last night, the villain says at one point, "There are some fates worse than death, Mr Drake"

As an aside, Danger Man is brilliant - you really must watch it if you haven't done so - Drake is a much more complex character than Bond and as the later series unfold, the stories shift into an existentialist journey of what we mean by the Moral Man, authenticity and alienation.

But getting back to the point - what fates worse than death can you imagine - either from comic books or real life?

As a small child, when Aunt Maud came to visit (that was her real name), I was always asked to kiss the old dear (who must have been at least 120 years old) on her cheek - a cheek full of warts growing hairs. That was my fate worse than death (though very unfair on poor old Aunt Maud who was by all accounts a kind and decent old lady).

Later, during my working career, it was being forced to attend INSET days on sunny afternoons on gut-wrenchingly boring topics - with no means of escape.

In comic books, I always found the concept of The Phantom Zone unimaginably cruel - a life sentence where life never ends.

In books, Edgar Allan Poe's exploration of catalepsy in various forms still sends shivers down the spine - and in movies, the idea from Alien where the victim is used as an impregnated host for the alien was pretty scary.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Fates Worse Than Death
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2021, 12:28:31 PM »

Pretty Heavey Subject Andrew! I have just switched from watching a Documentary on Jospehine Baker and the racism she had to struggle with, so the question hits me pretty hard.
I think not dying but having to live your whole life under the shadow of injustice and particulary to have to watch others who you love or care for, struggling with injustice that you can do little to change.
Or having done an injustice to someone else and having to live with the knowledge of that for the rest of your life.   
On 'Danger Man' You are right about the complexity of the character. A lot of that I think was deliberate on the part of Patrick McGoohan.
His next series was the Prisoner. And in the opening scenes he makes it look like  he was playing the same character. Who spits the dummy, goes to the boss and resigns and triggers the whole narrative of the  Prisoner.
The Prisoner: Season 1 Episode 1 - Arrival (Full Episode)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osNmf_zmSyE
He never played many parts after that, but everything he did was memorable.   
A complex man.   
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 12:31:26 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2021, 02:17:22 PM »

Prisons though out history have been worse than death. A pile of straw for a restroom with no sanitation and food and water unfit for consumption is far worse than death. I think it was at a Ripley's that I saw one of the worst. They had a cage for people that was too small to stand or sit or lie down in. It hurts just to think about.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2021, 02:37:19 AM »

My mind keeps playing with the question... what exactly would be a "death worse than fate" ?

8)
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2021, 09:28:42 AM »

Gosh, yes, that's intriguing

Let's imagine your fate is to spend the rest of your life as a slave in the radioactive plutonium mines of Ceres-5.

Your captors, cannibals of the Yummi tribe, offer you the choice. You can escape your fate if you agree to become a source of meat for the guards. Slowly, they remove parts of your body - legs, arms, other choice bits best not identified until they get to the organ meats (sweetbreads and the like). Upon their removal, you die.

How about that? Is that a death worse than fate?

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.