in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 183 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mike Hammer

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Mike Hammer  (Read 1392 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Mike Hammer
« on: February 18, 2021, 11:35:49 AM »

I was a Stacy Keach Mike Hammer fan (the early series - even had the DVD) - I thought his droll delivery was perfect for the part. I regret to say I've never seen the 50s TV series but I'll get around to it.

The only book I recall reading was Kiss Me Deadly (I saw the film too - with the recently departed Cloris Leachman as the naked blonde). Again, I'll try to catch up on the books.

I note that Hard Case Crime has just released Masquerade for Murder by Mickey and Max - from a fragment left behind by Mickey:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/48677568-masquerade-for-murder

The oddest memory I have of Mike Hammer is that my father who read very little other than the sports pages once in a while said he liked to read Mickey Spillane when he was aboard ship in the navy. I was a kid at the time and the comment washed over me - but somehow the memory stuck.

Has anyone seen the Armand Assante movie of I, the Jury - looks pretty hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXL48JWpmQY

Here's an interesting oddity - Pamela Anderson as Velda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-SyESIOp-o

Nor should we forget the Turkish rip-off called Hayk Mammer:

https://dorduncudunyaulkesi.wordpress.com/2012/03/20/hayk-mammer/

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Mike Hammer
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2021, 12:23:30 PM »

Re: Ven A Morir Conmigo (Come Die with Me: A Mickey Spillane's Mike Hammer Mystery) (1994)
1/ Love those stairs! where can I get a staircase like that?
Great opening!
2/ Pamela Anderson speaks Spanish?
3/ Dr Joyce Brothers is in the credits. Was she one of the Bikini Girls?
I fastforwarded through this three times and three times Mike was getting beaten up, twice by Women, so no not accurate Mike Hammer.
Interesting film in its own right tho.     
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2021, 12:35:24 AM »

I distinctly remember my first exposure to Mike Hammer.  I was sitting at work, listening to WWDV, the talk-show, and one of the hosts (possibly Frank Ford) had Mickey Spillane on as a guest.  He was talking about how they'd done a TV-movie the year before, which didn't go over too well, but now they'd done another one, and he was promoting it.  He also mentioned a theatrrical film, but was dismissing it-- presumably bcause it was a REMAKE of one he'd completely SOLD THE RIGHTS to back in the 50s, and  the new one, he wasn't getting one cent for it.

So that Saturday night, I turned it on-- and TAPED it, sight unseen.  "MURDER ME, MURDER YOU" was intended as a pilot.  This is the one that starred Stacy Keach as Mike, Tanya Roberts as Velda, and Don Stroud as Pat Chambers.  For me, it was love at first sight.  I especially liked Tanya Roberts as Velda.  For DECADES, she was my favorite Velda.  No kidding.

Funny thing.  About 10 minutes in, it struck me, that "Mike Hammer" reminded me a lot of "John Shaft".  Both were tough P.I.s who were constantly involved in excess violence, lots of sexy women, but had a good friend on the police force. And then it hit me.  OBVIOUSLY... John Shaft was THE BLACK MIKE HAMMER!

Some years later, I found out somethng almost hilarious that seemed to cofirm this.  BOTH Mickey Spillane and Ernest Tidyman, at some early point in their careers, had worked for MARTIN GOODMAN.  Hah!!!  This made the fact that Marvel did LUKE CAGE, HERO FOR HIRE in the early 70s such a "natural".

The one element of the Keach Hammer I never cared for was Kent Williams as D.A. Barrington.  He was just a TOTAL A**H***.  In every single appearance.  What made it worse was when, a few years later, someone JUST like him (in appearance and personality) was hired where I worked, and for 3 years, I had to put up with a TOTAL A**H*** just like Barrington.  (It's been decades, but that guy better hope to God he NEVER crosses my path again.

One more thing that crossed my mind while watching that film.  CBS put it on Saturday at 8 PM.  For years, anything "exciting" or potentially "violent" had gotten pushed back to 10 PM.  But here this thing was at 8 PM.  I thought... "It looks like "FAMILY VIEWING HOUR" is finally DEAD!"  Good.  I hate censorship.

CBS sat on their a** for a whole years before finally decideding to give MIKE HAMMER the go-ahead for a series.  Because of this, Tanya Robert was off doing "SHEENA" when the time came to do the follow-up.  I once saw an interview with Lindsay Bloom, who described how she wanted the job so much, she lost about 20 pounds, bleached her hair, and took firearms lessons.  She got it.  She said she loved it.  She was very good.  But the whole damn time she was on the show, I kept wishing Tanya Roberts had done it instead.  Oh well.

One thing I can't figure (and never found out the reason for), in the 2nd half of the 3rd season, Velda went on a vacation to Europe... and never came back.  A while later, they did a folow-up TV movie, where Mike went to Las Vegas, and Bloom had a CAMEO as Velda at the beginning.  But that was the last we ever saw of her in the role.  Strange.......
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 12:41:53 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2021, 11:29:03 AM »

One more thing that crossed my mind while watching that film.  CBS put it on Saturday at 8 PM.  For years, anything "exciting" or potentially "violent" had gotten pushed back to 10 PM.  But here this thing was at 8 PM.  I thought... "It looks like "FAMILY VIEWING HOUR" is finally DEAD!"  Good.  I hate censorship.

Last night on a 70's show rerun Eric's mother was looking through a magazine she got in the mail and exclaimed "That model is showing cleavage!!!!" "if I wanted that sort of thing in my house I'd be watching McMillen and Wife".
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2021, 04:59:16 PM »

I have no memory of what order I saw the other versions of Mike Hammer, but by the time the 80s were thru, I'd seen nearly every one I could.

"I, THE JURY" with Armand Assante & Laurene Landon (plus Barbara Carrerra in her hoittest role ever) was a fun flick.  this was the one Spillane dissed because he wasn't getting any money from it.  It's got VIOLENCE, PROFANITY, NUDITY & SEX.  Some of it's fun, a lot of it isn't. It's confusing, and it turns out, they almost completely changed the story, adding in corrupt FBI (or CIA) types, and Pat Chambers (Paul Sorvino) was very uncomfortably stuck in the middle.  I've read complaints that Assante was too short, too slimy, and his gun was too small.  Meanwhile, Velda is supported to be a brunette, not a blonde.  Oh well.

"MARGIN FOR MURDER" was that CBS-TV movie Spillane was involved with, from producer Jay Bernstein, that starred Kevin Dobson as Mike, Cindy Pickett as Velda, and Charles Hallahan (before HUNTER) as Pat.  Not bad.  I feel Dobson was a PERFECT choice to play Mike.  WAY more authentic than either Assante or Keach.  I liked Pickett enough to not mind she was blonde, too.  (She's a real doll.)  The only thing... I've seen this twice (at least), and it just seems a little dull.  Probably that "Family Viewing Hour" censorship thing still hoilding them back.  My reaction was... IF ONLY they'd had Dobson & Pickett in that remake of "I, THE JURY", with all the VIOLENCE, PROFANITY, NUDITY & SEX, it would have been a better movie than either of them was.

I read the 2-volume collection of the short-lived MIKE HAMMER newspaper strip from the 50s.  Cool stuff.  When I read that, I felt the Mike in there was probably the "authentic" article.  That's a big part of why I felt Kevin Dobson was more "right" than Assante & Keach.

"THE GIRL HUNTERS" had Mickey Spillane as Mike and the completely-forgettable Scott Peters as Pat.  Mike's been drunk for 7 years since Velda (NEVER SEEN IN THE FILM) disappeared.  It's a terribly dark, dreary, DEPRESSING movie.  We learn Velda used to work for the Federal government as some kind of agent, and somehow, her disappearance is connected with it.  And the villains are still trying to track her down so they can kill her.  The only bright spot in this wretched thing is Shirley Eaton (GOLDFINGER and various CARRY ON movies)... who turns out to be one of the BAD guys.  Oy.  Mike learns Velda is still alive by the end, and is about to find her... but that happens AFTER the film ends.  I hate this movie.

MY GUN IS QUICK stars Robert Bray (later to play Ranger Corry on LASSIE) as Mike, Pamela Duncan as Velda and Booth Colman as Pat.  I remember nothing about the latter two.  This starts out looking like it has ZERO budget.  It gets better.  By the end, I was genuinely enjoying it.  So, not terrible, just not great.  I recently read the theory that this was the 2nd UNSOLD TV pilot, and the producer decided after-the-fact to expand it to feature length so it wouldn't be a complete loss.  Could be!  Worth seeing.

KISS ME DEADLY is consistently Max Collins' pick for "best Mike Hammer ever".  I BEG TO DIFFER.  Ralph Meeker could easily have been GREAT as Mike.  But that's what he's doing here.  Maxine Cooper is Velda, and Wesley Addy is "Pat Murphy" (not Chambers).  In this film, Mike's an AMORAL self-centered DIRTBAG, Velda's his accomplice, and Pat hates BOTH of them. Director Robert Aldrich (THE DIRTY DOZEN, SODAM AND GOMORRAH, HUSH HUSH SWEET CHARLOTTE) and screenwriter A.I. Bezzerides held Spillane & Hammer IN CONTEMPT, and set out to make a film that would be a viscious, insulting SLAP IN THE FACE to Spillane, Hammer and their fans.  It's arguaby the BEST-produced, BEST-directed Hammer film.  But it's a VILE PIECE OF CRAP.  It's so nasty, the only way you can tell the bad guys, is they're TEN TIMES worse than Mike.  They're MONSTERS on 2 legs.  Between the intense nastiness, the dark visuals and mood, and the SCI-FI McGuffin (not in the novel), it looks and feels like an episode of "THE OUTER LIMITS".  The censors INSISTED Mike & Velda DIE for their crimes, so for decades, the last shot of them escaping the explosion at the end was CUT from the picture.  I'd like this film a HELL of a lot more... if the SICK BASTARDS who made it had just changed the names.  Whatever Meeker is here, he's NOT "Mike Hammer".

Some years back, I realized Meeker was QUITE PROBABLY Jack Kirby's model for NICK FURY.  NO S***.  But as crazy & tough as Nick was, he was always THE HERO.  He's my single favorite Marvel character.  Too bad nobody's written HIM right since the late 60s.  (And I mean NOBODY.)

This pareticular photo really blew my mind.  I never saw this until AFTER I figured out Nick was based on Meeker.  This CONFIRMED it.

...and then I saw "I, THE JURY" with Biff Elliot as Mike, Margaret Sheridan (THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD) as Velda, and Preston Foster as Pat.  WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy S***! Mike's a neanderthal. Someone online described him as "like a DEAD END kid all grown up and packing a rod".  But he's COMPLETELY honest, incorruptible, loyal and unstoppable.  The plot is COMPLETELY incomprehensible... but HE figured it out.  Wow.  Velda's clearly in love with Mike, but the dumb ape doesn't notice.  Pat goes out of his way to feed Mike info so he can go after the bad guys in ways he couldn't himself.  What a pal.  I had to read the Wikipedia page about the novel before I could FINALLY make sense of the story.  The fact that some cable channel ran it at 2 in the morning... but started the film EARLY (so my videotape was MISSING the first 5 minutes) really made it worse.  I eventually saw it from the beginning on Youtube (a couple years ago).  A little over a year ago, I got it on DVD.  It's a bootleg.  I don't care.  It's uncut.  That's all that matters.  This became my FAVORITE version of Mike Hammer.  Biff Elliot (STAR TREK: The Devil in the Dark) became my FAVORITE Mike.  Margaret Sheridan became my FAVORITE Velda!  Even Preston Foster became my favorite Pat.  Wow.  Why-- WHY in the HELL didn't the idiots who bought the rights to 4 of Spillane's books, do ALL 3 Hammer films in the 50s with the SAME cast???

"BLAM!"
"How COULD you?"
"It was easy."

;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2021, 05:19:38 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2021, 06:13:11 AM »

Some years back, I realized Meeker was QUITE PROBABLY Jack Kirby's model for NICK FURY.  NO S***.  But as crazy & tough as Nick was, he was always THE HERO.  He's my single favorite Marvel character.  Too bad nobody's written HIM right since the late 60s.  (And I mean NOBODY.

Does this ever happen to anybody else? I wrote a detailed post and then managed to lose CB+ in the browser before I saved it. So now here it is again!
Likely no-one will have the chance to write him right again!
When they used Samuel Jackson for Fury in the Ultimate Universe stories and then the Movie MCU also used Samuel Jackson as Nick Fury, it was only a matter of time before Nick Senior was written out. It was disgraceful what they eventualy did with him. He ended up very much out of sight, replacing The Watcher on the Moon. Watcher had been murdered. Now there is another character replacing the Watcher and I don't think they even bothered to explain what happened to Nick. If they did I certainly missed it. 
Worse, they never explained [ feel free to correct me if I'm wrong] whu Nick Jr's Mother was, and if she and Nick were married and how he came to be born and when.
Also, when was he ever a trainee member of SHIELD and how did he come from no-where and get to be Director?  There is at least a good mini-series there. Or there should be.
It would establish the character properly.
Cheers!       
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2021, 07:00:02 PM »

After that long, meandering, sometimes good but more times AWFUL and pointless revival in the late 80s...  Marvel FINALLY got around to doing a proper "origin" story in 1994.

FURY #1 (May'94) was by Barry Dutter, M.C. Wyman w/ Chris Ivy & Greg Adams.  In 64 pages, it told of the creation of SHIELD, and the full background of the Nick-Jake Fury conflict.

In my mind, Marvel had pretty much gone completely TO HELL in the 90s... but this one stand-alone issue was a shockingly good stand-out.  It's probably the ONLY Marvel from that entire era I would ever reccomend to anyone to get their hands on.

https://www.comics.org/issue/262526/
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2021, 07:10:13 PM »

So sometime last year, I was reading about the Darren McGavin show.  And found out that, about 8 or 10 years back, it had been put out on DVD.  ALL those years of me being a Hammer fan, and this show was COMPLETELY out of circulation.  I had to get it.

I did.  I planned to watch an episode a week.  That didn't work.

Instead... I was watching 5 EPISODES a week.  I couldn't stop.  I couldn't get enough.  DAMN, this thing was GOOD!!

Since I was a kid, I always loved HALF-HOUR adventure shows.  No padding.  NON-STOP.  No time to get bored or wanna go take a food break or something.

I read this show was turned down by all 3 networks because, even though Darren McGavin-- who had to be almost coerced into taking the part-- INSISTED the only way it could work on Tv would be if it were played "light-hearted" with a lot of humor-- it was still VIOLENT AS HELL.  I'd almost rank this with THE UNTOUCHABLES-- but where that show, the last time I watched, I found DISTURBING (the criminal gangsters were MONSTERS on 2 legs--utterly viscious and irredeemable), MIKE HAMMER managed to be FUN to watch.  Even when-- maybe especially when-- Mike is BEATING THE LIVING HELL out of someone.  And I've never seen a hero on Tv so quick to SHOOT someone DEAD (in self-defense.. heh).

And Bart Burns at Pat Chambers... WOW.

You know what I said about Biff Elliot being my favorite version of Mike?  Well... now, I'm NOT SO SURE.  (heeheehee)  And they're so completely different.

I've seen all 79 episodes already and am now on my 2nd run.  I can't get enough of this show.

Anybody who says they prefer the Ralph Meeker version to this must be out of their minds!

I would say this definitely blows the Stacy Keach series out of the water.  Even so... I still need to get my hands on MIKE HAMMER, PRIVATE EYE, the direct-to-syndication series Keach did some years after CBS canned his series.  Hell, I may wanna upgrade everything to DVD... eventually.  (No hurry.)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 07:22:10 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Ghost Man

message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2021, 08:22:32 PM »

To me the original Nick Fury was/is best simply because his character had an organically great history back with the Howlin' Commandos stories which were awesome. The transition to S.H.I.E.L.D. mades sense rather than Marvel's synthesised, celebritised, vanity change to a "new" Nick Fury. If anything, the smarter choice would have been to create another brand-new compelling character with Fury's rank altogether, but they opted instead to take the easy way out.

I've followed the Nick Fury character since his Sgt. Fury days and Fury built a legend for himself from that history, which was only strengthened with Jim Steranko's immutable characterization. The Samuel Jackson version of Nick Fury to me is as insipid as Will Smith was in the role of James West (Wild, Wild West) and would be as equally as dumb as having Russell Crowe play John Shaft. Simply because it destroys the primal vision and essence of the characters and is a form of bait and switch casting just to synthetically virtue signal for profit and marketing. This is the classic Hollywood meddling that sabotages and many times eviscerates the characters they have optioned to mass market, by creating and showcasing a broken clone of whom they envision the character to be. To corporate Hollywood, characters are nothing more than profit-driven vehicles to be prostituted out for cross-marketing and they care not a whit what the dedicated fans of those beloved characters think nor desire.

Leave these characters as they are! For they built their very following and an audience of fans BECAUSE of the very nature of the character that was crafted and developed, ofttimes over the span of years. Jeremy Brent and Robert Downey Jr. elevate the character of Sherlock Holmes both in different regards, because instead of rubbishing the essence of Holmes, they added new dimension and contexualised flavour. Tom Cruise as Shang Chi, Master of Kung Fu? As bloody ridiculous as Wesley Snipes's Blade would be played by Jackie Chan.

One of the best, realistic scenes I've seen with Fury was written by Garth Ennis's story in the Punisher MAX storyline entitled "Mother Russia". There, the story depicts an older, calloused and embittered Nick Fury who tracks down Frank Castle (The Punisher) after he's taken out a Russian mafia run child prostitution network. He makes a deal with Castle to help him in a covert operation in Russia retrieving an antidote code named 'Barbarossa' in exchange for a file with user names and passwords to every criminal database in the country. Castle agrees and as the story advances Fury discovers that a group of U.S. military brass led by an agent Rawlings conspired to carry out a false flag black op that resulted in the deaths an entire flight of Saudi citizens. When Fury finds out Rawlings was behind this engineered horror, Fury takes off his belt and beats Rawlings with the buckle nearly to death in front of his accomplices. Ennis is brilliant with Fury's moral outrage in this scene depiction as well as weaving in a 9/11 style plot with a subtle wink and nod to United Flight 93. I highly recommend the Punisher MAX series in general and this crisply entertaining story arc which was absolutely riveting.

Great story synopsis here: https://thoughtsofaworkshyfop.blogspot.com/2015/09/the-punisher-max-book-3-mother-russia.html

Image of the thrashing here (Warning graphic violence and cursing): https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-FvQxK1ZhRQQ/VfngKr4U_jI/AAAAAAAADXo/xZdcpFIpGHg/s1600/punishermaxrussia11.jpg

As for Mike Hammer, the first televised syndicated series in the U.S. had Hammer portrayed by Darren McGavin of later Nightstalker fame. McGavin's portrayal was visceral, with a deliberate tongue-in-cheek panache and reviewers remarked on it's gritty and "excessively gratuitous" violence.  You be the judge, episodes are available for free on YouTube here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-JeR-GHVuM&list=PLakshYu9qq-xhWlA48GxcGQNt76asBUvX

Nod to profh0011 as I was in the midst of typing this out when you had posted your comment on Mr. McGavin's Mike Hammer. I agree with his assessment and this series is top shelf compelling entertainment you won't be sorry you watched.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 08:33:29 PM by The Ghost Man »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2021, 09:50:33 PM »

All this talk about Nick Fury got me to thinking about the effects of time on continuing comic characters.

I was around for the Howlers and for the introduction of Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD. I was a high school sophomore thrilled by From Russia With Love and Thunderball, so I loved the series from the get-go. The idea that Nick was the same guy who led the Howling Commandos during WWII was a neat bit of continuity of the sort that was uncommon in 1965. Unfortunately it became a liability. As the years passed the WWII tie-in became incongruous. Nick, Dum Dum, Gabe and the gang should have been pushing seventy. Tying a series character's history to a specific real-world event always runs that risk. There are several ways around it. Jim Steranko took the easiest and probably most logical way out. He simply stopped mentioning the War, "younged" Fury up a bit, and ignored time thereafter. Nick became a typical timeproof, free-floating character. Dum Dum and the others were just his buddies, not his wartime comrades.

Another way writers have tackled this paradox is to retcon the character into a later time period. For Nick this might have meant rewriting his history so the Howlers fought together in Viet Nam rather than WWII. A generation later they fought in Iraq. This method retains the historical/character relationships, but the sudden change might put off long-term readers. In the 60s and 70s that wouldn't have mattered. Comics readership constantly turned over as readers aged out. Few readers were even aware of what had happened to their favorite character ten years ago. I think the situation is different today, now that comics are exclusively fan-driven and re-editions and collector volumes put a character's entire history on display.

Another fix to the time problem is to make the character more or less immortal through magical or pseudoscientific means. Everyone else is affected by time but he remains the same thirty-something hero forever. This is similar to the ignoring-time technique except that supporting characters are subject to time while the hero isn't. This shtick is usually used as a simple tool to justify the hero's eternal youth, mentioned occasionally but mostly ignored. However it opens up interesting story possibilities if a writer explores the emotional cost of immortality. Lee and Kirby played with this in their Captain America stories. He may live in the 1970s but Steve Rogers was born in the 1920s and raised in a pre-WWII world with prewar values and a prewar understanding of how things work. These ruminations got in the way of the action and Lee and Kirby never followed through. I'm sure other Marvel writers played with this after I stopped reading current comics. The subject has great potential, though it could easily take over the stories and get in the way if you're writing an action-adventure series.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2021, 10:06:19 PM »

Considering I got into Hammer in 1983, it's nuts it's taken this long for me to finally see the 50s's TV series.  (I might have gotten it earlier, but extreme financial situations kept me from even thinking about looking for anything trivial to spend money on for several years.)

MISC:

Following the 3rd season and later TV-movie with Keach, Jay Bernstein, the producer who'd done Kevin Dobson and Stacy Keach, did a 3rd version with Rob Estes as Mike, Pamela Anderson (when she was STILL CUTE) as Velda (another blonde) and Darlanne Fluegel as a female Pat Chambers:  COME DIE WITH ME.  Apart from a blonde Velda and a female Pat, the really strange thing was having Hammer living on a HOUSEBOAT in Miami, and talking about how when he grew up he was inspired by a couple of Frank Sinatra movies from the late 60s.  Yeah-- TONY ROME and LADY IN CEMENT.  Is this a big WTF?, or what?

Fluegel had the bad luck to replace Stephanie Kramer in the 7th (and final) season of HUNTER.  She wasn't bad at all.  The writing, and the entire direction of the show, WAS.  Fred Dryer took over as co-exec producer, and completely MURDERED his own damn show.  I mean, every single aspect of it was F***ed beyond belief.  My Dad said Kramer leaving killed the show, but the truth is, the show went to hell a year BEFORE she left... that's WHY she left when she did.  Halfway thru season 7, Fluegel's character was MURDERED, and another female detective played by Lauren Lane (later a regular on the entire run of THE NANNY) took over.  I never made it that far.  I QUIT watching a show I'd been videotaping in the middle of the season... and ONE WEEK later, TV GUIDE announced NBC was yanking the show off the air.  Presumably, the 2nd half of the season aired during the summer or something.

1953 was a busy year for Mike Hammer.  In addition to the 1st feature film "I THE JURY" (which I loved), there was "FROM THE FILES OF MIKE HAMMER", the syndicated newspaper strip (which I ALSO loved).  There was also a short-lived radio show, "THAT HAMMER GUY" (which I've never heard), which from what I've read, starred Larry Haines as Mike and Jan Miner as Velda.  (No idea how many episodes this ran.)

In 1954 there was an LP titled "MICKEY SPILLANE'S MIKE HAMMER", which featured a new audio story called "Tonight My Love", which starred Mickey Spillane as Mike, and also featured Betty Ackerman, with music by Stan Purdey.  I managed to record this for free off the internet some years ago... don't ask me from where!

That same year there was an UNSOLD TV pilot, "MICKEY SPILLANE'S MIKE HAMMER", which starred Brian Keith (later of "FAMILY AFFAIR" and "SHARKEY'S MACHINE"), which was written & directed by Blake Edwards (later of "PETER GUNN", "THE PINK PANTHER" and countless other films).  I have yet to track this down, but it seems to me I read somewhere that it's on some DVD, probably together with several other similar items.

And then the following year, 1955, the same people who had the rights to "I THE JURY" farmed the 2nd movie out to an entirely different group of people, resulting in "KISS ME DEADLY" (already discussed).

2 years later, in 1957, they did the same with "MY GUN IS QUICK", which I've only just read may have been a 2nd unsold TV pilot expanded to feature length.

And then in 1958, other people did the Darren McGavin series, which ran in syndication for 2 years, yet still somehow ran afoul of censorship groups complaining about "excessive violence".  These same people no doubt crippled "THE UNTOUCHABLES" a few years later, and caused "THE MAN FROM UNCLE" to use tranquilizer guns in an effort to cut down on the number of bodies piling up every week.

It took until 1964 before "THE GIRL HUNTERS" happened, but that film offends me far more than "KISS ME DEADLY" does.  And then, there wasn't another Hammer film until 1981.

Doesn't it seem ironic, that in the 1970s, a period when censorship in feature films went completely by the wayside, when SEX AND VIOLENCE ran rampant and sheer NASTINESS and bad endings were such a big thing, that NOBODY did a Mike Hammer film??? 

Of course, we did have SHAFT, SHAFT'S BIG SCORE and SHAFT IN AFRICA...   ;D

I wish that film series had kept going back then.  Some years ago, I saw one episode of the TV series, and it was AWFUL. Someone was clearly TRYING to murder the whole "black action hero" genre.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2021, 10:15:51 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2021, 03:52:20 AM »

OK, Some good posts which have triggered these responses.
Prof, thanks for the tip on Fury #1!
Marvel had pretty much gone completely TO HELL in the 90s

Well many action comics went to hell in the 90s, this was the era of Massive Guns and everybody had a physique that even Arnold could not really obtain. So, many action comics were as absurd as Mad Magazine. One reason for this was that young guys could make huge money before they had really learnt to draw properly. Crazy times.
The Samuel Jackson version of Nick Fury to me is as insipid as Will Smith was in the role of James West (Wild, Wild West) and would be as equally as dumb as having Russell Crowe play John Shaft. Simply because it destroys the primal vision and essence of the characters and is a form of bait and switch casting just to synthetically virtue signal for profit and marketing. This is the classic Hollywood meddling that sabotages and many times eviscerates the characters they have optioned to mass market

First,I agree absolutely. But you can't blame Hollywood in this instance because Marvel had already used Jackson as a character in the comics.
In the Movies, Fury is only used as a linking character, he never actually does anything, he shows up in each movie, has a chat with the characters and then disappears. Even in the first Avengers movie, much of which takes place on the helicarrier, he does nothing really. I suspect that's part of Jackson's contract. Why work when you don't have to? Coulson does more.
Many might not know, but Fury first appeared in post WWII continuity in FF# 21 and the villain was the Hatemonger, who turned out to be a Hitler clone. 
So Kirby and Lee had already introduced Fury into continuity as a Spy before they were inspired by UNCLE to create SHIELD. And Fury was still a popular character from the Howlers book. Stan at this time was intent in giving every character and property their own book, this was the first big expansion,  so to them it was probably a no-brainer.
I don't really understand why the SHIELD comic book was allowed to disappear shortly after Steranko left the book. Springer was a terrible choice. Barry Smith was OK, as a newbie desperately imitating Kirby to get a permanent gig. You couldn't re-create what Steranko did, but there were other choices. Paul Gulacy would have been acceptable for one.
Nick, Dum Dum, Gabe and the gang should have been pushing seventy. Tying a series character's history to a specific real-world event always runs that risk.

That's a 'Whale of a different colour' another post subject entirely. And a very relevant one.
He may live in the 1970s but Steve Rogers was born in the 1920s and raised in a pre-WWII world with prewar values and a prewar understanding of how things work. These ruminations got in the way of the action and Lee and Kirby never followed through. I'm sure other Marvel writers played with this after I stopped reading current comics.

Steve Gerber was given this as an assignment but he only did a prelude and never got to complete whatever he had in mind. And you know it would have been interesting.
Cheers!             
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2021, 05:08:45 AM »

in the 1970s, a period when censorship in feature films went completely by the wayside, when SEX AND VIOLENCE ran rampant and sheer NASTINESS and bad endings were such a big thing,

It occurs to me that TV values in the UK at that time were a little bit more gritty.
We Aussies got a lot of Brit TV.
Three examples
CALLAN. By the Wonderful Troy Kennedy Martin
This was a spy show for which I'm not aware of an equivalent. Starring Edward Woodwood and much better than the Equalizer. 
He is a working class spy who does the dirty work for the upper class bastards who give him his assignments.
Meres is a creme de la creme arrogant scumbag. Anthony Valentine who was brilliant, later went on to play Raffles.   
Callan - 4 x 8 - I Never Wanted the Job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d0B07XC2BYQ
Callan, in turn treats 'Lonely' - who has a glandular odour problem, hence the name - in similar fashion.

The Sweeney [Cockney Slang. Sweeney Todd = Flying Squad]
Must See TV - The Sweeney (25th November 2005)
Doco on the Sweeney
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crAUa-j1gdw

The Professionals
Doco on the professions
Without Walls - C4PD: The Professionals - 9-4-1996
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF6oxclV2Qw

They come to mind quickly,but there were others Post-Callan.

Here is a movie version of one of the Books by James Mitchell.[A red File for Callan] Not as good as the TV show. Many of the early BnW episodes were lost.     
Somewhat different cast to the TV show. Eric Porter is good as Hunter. Meres not as good as Anthony Valentine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cdMH9q1JP0

Cheers!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 05:40:47 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2021, 09:58:33 AM »

Callan was must-watch in the sixties - as hard as nails - you might call it obsidian noir
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2021, 08:56:00 PM »

I believe the SHIELD book was cancelled because, Steranko or no Steranko, it wasn't selling. Could also have expired due to deadline problems. The Springer issues had a strong "fill-in" look. I have a fondness for Springer dating from his Dell days (and Phoebe Zeitgeist) but I agree: his SHIELD was terrible. His attempts at avant-garde layouts bombed completely. Funny about Barry Smith. I hated him when he first arrived at Marvel. Compared to Kirby, Colan, Ditko, Heck, Buscema, et al. he seemed the worst penciller Marvel had ever had. Who imagined he'd develop into such a brilliant artist?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2021, 11:14:23 PM »

Nick Fury and Dr. Strange, oddly enough, were the TWO series that first convinced me that the "artists" (so-called) WERE the CREATORS.  They were just so "extreme".

Many "Marvel" fans have NO idea that for the entire run of Nick Fury in STRANGE TALES, there were only 2 people writing the stories:  JACK KIRBY and JIM STERANKO.

The problem, from the first (apart from the usual one) was that Kirby was so busy-- the whole idea of having him "cut back" to layouts was NOT to show other pencillers how to do it, it was so he could WRITE more stories uncredited & unpaid.  And so, Kirby only did 3 episodes where he did FULL pencils-- and those had 3 different inkers (Dick Ayers - okay; Frank Giacoia - terrific; Mike Esposito - adequate).

On top of that they had a revolving door of pencillers working over Kirby's STORY layouts:  John Severin, Joe Sinnott, Don Heck, Howard Purcell, more Don Heck, Ogden Whitney, John Buscema, and finally Jim Steranko.

And, you had 4 people doing the finished dialogue:  the editor, Jack Kirby (1 ep.), Denny O'Neil (1 ep.) and Roy Thomas (1 ep.).

Considering how FLASHY the art looked after Kirby departed, it's no surprise that few people feel, like I do, that Kirby's WRITING on Nick Fury was far superior that Jim Steranko's.  I mean, except for the one episode where he wrote dialogue, he wasn't even getting CREDITED for his writing!

Before moving on, I would like to point out one amusing glitch caused by an editor doing dialogue on stories he DID NOT in fact write.  It's in "Operation Brain Blast" (ST #141 / Feb'66).  Kirby closes out the first Hydra sequence halfway thru the episode, sends his men off for a furlough, and says he's gonna grab some shut-eye.  The NEXT panel has Fury walking down a hallway and get mentally assaulted by the new E.S.P. division.  And then the next continued sequence starts immediately.  The problem, as I recall, is that the narration reads "Meanwhile", instead of... "TWO WEEKS LATER..."  Not only does it make it look like there is NO break between stories, but, because Fury is in a completely-different part of SHIELD HQ, it makes it appear he's in two places AT THE SAME TIME.

Some people have wondered, how did a new guy like Steranko manage to take over writing as soon as he did?  It's simple, IF you know what's going on behind the scenes.  The editor loved riding high on Jack Kirby's work.  Well... he LEFT the series one episode BEFORE Kirby did.  And so, Kirby's final episode (the one where the dialogue suggests Fury had crossed paths with "Agent Bronson" -- really the Supreme Hydra in disguiuse-- back in WW2), the dialogue was taken over by Roy Thomas.  NOT the story-- the dialogue.  Kirby was already writing the stories.  He ALWAYS was.

That episode was already Steranko's 3rd doing pencils & inks over Kirby's STORY LAYOUTS.  When Kirby left. Steranko took over doing HIS OWN story layouts.  HE STARTED WRITING right then.  But this was not reflected in the credits, because Roy Thomas was doing his 2nd episode on dialogue.  Unlike his editor, Thomas LOVED to write, and wanted to write.  He once said he had "little interest" in SHIELD.  But the truth is, he didn't want to stick around on a book that was already being written by somebody else.  So after only 2 episodes, HE left.  And Steranko was then free to do HIS OWN dialogue.

Kirby had basically done 2-1/2 parts of a massive "trilogy".  Think of it as if he'd done "STAR WARS", "THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK" and the first half of "RETURN OF THE JEDI".  All Steranko had to do was NOT screw up the last hour of the 3rd film (so to speak).  HE DIDN'T.  Kirby already figured out Strucker was the Supreme Hydra, Steranko revealed it, and KILLED him off. WOW.  (And, truthfully, he stayed dead for decades.)

TROUBLE set in when Steranko started his 2nd storyline.  The problem was... his editor's huge ego couldn't handle Steranko getting TONS OF FAN MAIL.  So he started to engage in even more "editorial interference" than usual.  To the detriment of the series.

J. David Spurlock pointed out in a magazie article around 20 years ago, that when Steranko wrote the 2-part sequence "Project Blackout", it was NOT a flashback.  It became a flashback on the orders of the editor, who had a supposedly-"clever" idea (IT WASN'T) to tie it in with the 1965 NYC blackout 2 years earlier.  There's 2 problems with this.  It caused MULTIPLE continuity glitches (trying to squeeze the sequence in between 2 panels of the "A.I.M." storyline, Fury wearing the wrong outfit in the action scenes, the E.S.P. division being out of commission, etc.), and, the whole point, tying it into the blackout, only was mentioned in a SINGLE narrative paragraph on a page where nothing in the art suggested anything to do with the blackout.  You had to bend over pretty far backwards for it to make sense, if you tried thinking about it at all.

After I read about this, on my own, it occured to me that if this happened once, why not twice?  On the last 3 pages of "Armageddon" (ST #167 / Apr'68), it's suddenly revealed that, first, The Yellow Claw Fury chased underwater was a ROBOT-- and, second, that the entire scenario was-- SUPPOSEDLY!!!-- controlled by Dr. Doom, and had been for more than 2 years.  This is one of the biggest "WTF"s in 60s Marvel history.

Decades after-the-fact, I finally figured out how that should have gone.  During "Behold The Savage Sky!" (ST #165 / Feb'68), The Yellow Claw mentions unleashing robot replicas of himself.  What happened was, he ESCAPED, and Fury spent 2 entire episodes chasing down one of the robots.  The final 2-page spread should have shown the REAL Yellow Claw, in a hidden base, watching and laughing, and saying, no doubt... "THE WORLD SHALL HEAR FROM ME AGAIN." -- as Christopher Lee did at the end of each of his FU MANCHU films.

What clinched it for me was seeing several episodes of the 1950s TV series "THE ADVENTURES OF FU MANCHU", in which Fu appears in the opening credits-- PLAYING CHESS.  Just as we saw in that final 2-page spread.

All this apparently was a bizarre aversion by the editor to bringing back The Yellow Claw.  Connected with this was TALES OF SUSPENSE #39 (May'63), "The Stronghold Of Dr. Strange".  In what I now believe was the FIRST Iron Man episode, written & drawn by JACK KIRBY (before the origin story was done but then published earlier out of sequence), we get an involved sequence that introduced readers to Tony Stark, Stark Enterprises, Iron Man, and an international criminal with a daughter and an EX-Nazi sidekick.  It's clear to me that Kirby intended to bring back The Yellow Claw right then, and make him Iron Man's recurring arch-enemy.  But it was nixed at the last minute, the villain's name was changed, he was NEVER seen again (despite a HUGE build-up), and then,,, about a year later... Iron Man wound up getting an ASIAN arch-enemy anyway, in the form of The Mandarin.

I tampered with the cover; here's how I believe it was supposed to look...!

Anyway, in ST #168, Fury thinks on how he's not sure if the villain he was fighting was EVER the Yellow Claw-- or if there EVER WAS a real Yellow Claw.  How's that for re-writing history, to no purpose?
« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:25:11 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2021, 12:27:27 AM »

Re Nick Fury Jr. I have since discovered that in 2015 there was issued Fury #1 A fiftieth anniversary special. And this deals with the origin of Nick Fury Jr. Sort of.
They probably decided that it would be too difficult to retcon him into continuity, so he comes into the present from the future, ala Cable! Fury accepts him as his son, at the end, with very little evidence. And who his mother is, is not made clear. 
It's also not made clear why he remains in present time and doesn't go back to the future.
Far be it from Marvel to attempt to sensibly deal with a Time travel inconsistently. Very disappointing. 
Quote, 'He was trained as an Army Ranger and has years of active service under his belt' And where did those years fit in? Elsewhere it is stated that he was a Marine. So total inconsistency. You would think that there are enough creative people at Marvel to give him  a reasonable origin.
There is also a 2017 6 issue limited series on Nick Fury jr, just called Nick Fury, written by James Robinson and the artist is ACO [Who I am not familiar with, but he is good] 
James Robinson I have a great deal of respect for. He is a great writer and has respect for the characters he gets to write. He has also been screwed royally, in terms of the treatment of his work, by both Marvel and DC. ACO is a superb artist, I'm guessing of European orign. What they do here is basically a tribute to Steranko. Robinson just has fun here and doesn't bother trying to do something that will reverberate in Marvel continuity. Why bother if the result is apathy and ill-disposed contempt. So he just enjoys himself.
Viewed in that light, this is an enjoyable comic.
The final issue, 'the return to Ravenbrook Castle Caper' is clearly an homage to Steranko and ACO's art is up to it by the way.
So a good, fun read, enjoyable comic.
Just to screw up continuity even more [because they can] Fury has a brother who is a bad egg and Jake Fury is the villain Scorpio. For mine, this character has never been handled well at all.
There is a 2012 miniseries, 'Wolverine and Nick Fury - Scorpio' In this thing, Jake has died and has an adult son. The mother raises him to be the new Scorpio and kill Nick Fury senior, telling him that Nick killed his Father, but not that Nick is his Uncle. At the end of this 'Scorpio' is defeated but 'Miquel' is left close to death after Wolverine gets his claws into him. At this point the mother tells Fury that 'Miquel' is actually his son and training him to kill his real father was her act of revenge. So both the son and the mother are stll alive at the end of all this and in custody. So Nick Fury senior has two sons. This will either be forgotten or - if there is somebody alert for a story idea at Marvel - the two brothers will carry on the emnity of their 'fathers' '   
Cheers!                                       
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 01:06:07 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2021, 01:34:48 AM »

Funny about Barry Smith. I hated him when he first arrived at Marvel. Compared to Kirby, Colan, Ditko, Heck, Buscema, et al. he seemed the worst penciller Marvel had ever had. Who imagined he'd develop into such a brilliant artist?   

Most of these guys had been working for more than a decade. It was always clear to me that Barry Smith decided to work for Marvel and the best way to do that was to imitate Kirby, so that's what he did.
What we finally saw in his Conan, was I believe the style he had developed all along. And, no dissing Buscema, but I much prefer Barry Smith's Conan.
Actually, it now occurs to me that he arguably paved the way for the 'British Invasion'.
  the really strange thing was having Hammer living on a HOUSEBOAT in Miami, and talking about how when he grew up he was inspired by a couple of Frank Sinatra movies from the late 60s.  Yeah-- TONY ROME and LADY IN CEMENT.

Liiving on a houseboat in Miami? John D MacDonald's Travis McGee. Once hugely popular. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio has the rights to the character with a view to doing with that character what Cruse has done with Mission Impossible. Personally I can;t see it, McGee's sexual politics won't translate well in a WOKE climate.
TONY ROME is a private eye created by Marvin H Albert. A great writer, seriously underappreciated.
Callan was must-watch in the sixties - as hard as nails - you might call it obsidian noir

Callan was a very different kind of tough guy to Mike Hammer.
He was a damaged ex-soldier who was very good at killing people and was therefore unable to escape doing so, as the powers that be forced him to keep doing it.
Nobody does latent aggression like Edward Woodward.
'Did you shoot him?'
'I hit him'
'You hit him?'
'I hit him. And he died of it.'
Nobody says 'Sir' like Edward Woodward either.

Cheers!       

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2021, 03:20:57 AM »

Liiving on a houseboat in Miami? John D MacDonald's Travis McGee. Once hugely popular. Apparently Leonardo DiCaprio has the rights to the character with a view to doing with that character what Cruse has done with Mission Impossible. Personally I can;t see it, McGee's sexual politics won't translate well in a WOKE climate.
TONY ROME is a private eye created by Marvin H Albert. A great writer, seriously underappreciated       

Are we having fun yet?  Man, these threads lately have been a real education!

There was a runmor they were planning a film called MATT HELM MEETS TONY ROME, but when Sharon Tate was murdered, they just nixed the whole idea.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2021, 03:55:24 AM »

Matt Helm meets Tony Rome? That would have been a real stinker. The Helm movies were embarrassingly bad.
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2021, 09:06:06 AM »

Talking of MacDonalds - nobody has mentioned yet Ross MacDonald (Kenneth Miller) and his PI Lew Archer - a long-time favourite - MacDonald's lyricism lifts the genre to the stratosphere.

I'm not sure if Lew has ever made it to TV, film or the comic books - but if not, he's been sadly overlooked.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2021, 10:10:31 AM »

Yes, Ross McDonald has been adapted in movies and TV.
Paul Newman played Lew Harper in  'The Drowning Pool' (1975)
and in Harper (1966)
Harper has a William Goldman screenplay, so should be OK
The same year Brian Keith played Lew Archer in a short-lived TV series.
Peter Graves played Lew Archer in 'The Underground Man' Here.
Underground Man 1974 - Peter Graves
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e0rkFPh7iU

Full list here.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0531906/?ref_=ttfc_fc_wr4 

Cheers!
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 10:22:10 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2021, 10:20:00 AM »

Well done, Panther.

Further research has unearthed one poorly-dubbed episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7SL3peyhQk

But also, this interesting unrelated little gem that I have never seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVgVOCc_UM4

So that's me sorted for tonight
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2021, 04:22:41 AM »

Paul Newman played Lew Harper in  'The Drowning Pool' (1975)
and in Harper (1966)
The same year Brian Keith played Lew Archer in a short-lived TV series.
Peter Graves played Lew Archer in 'The Underground Man'

GEEZ!  I never knew that.

I've long had terrible copies of "HARPER" and "THE DROWNING POOL" on the same tape recorded off local commercial stations.  (With the commercials edited out, but with awful picture and sound quality.  They were probably running faded prints and pointing a TV camera at them, and then on top of that, the broadcast or cable signal probably sucked.  Neither are great films, but like almost anything, I bet nice sharp crisp uncut widescreen DVDs could make them a lot more watchable.)

I've run across the name Ross McDonald but somehow never connected him in my head with those 2 Paul newman movies.

Something I did read ages ago... "Lew Harper" was apparently based on "Miles Archer".  The guy who got KILLED 10 minutes into "THE MALTESE FALCON".

;D

Hey, you never know what might inspire a writer.

A few years back, I wroite an entire 4-part action-horror story, all spurred on by the scene in "THE CURSE OF FRANKENSTEIN" where Christopher Lee tears off his facial bandages and immediately tried to strangle Peter Cushing.  For half the story, I had NO idea where it was going!  I was just enjoying following my gut as the mystery unfolded as I typed.  Imagine, I was the writer, and I had NO idea what was going on.  THAT was fun!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 04:27:13 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2021, 04:31:29 AM »

In the books his name was Lew Archer but the studio changed this to Harper to evoke Paul Newman's earlier success, Hud (1963). And his next one was Hombre. Subliminal advertising.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.