in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Displaying special characters

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Displaying special characters  (Read 1458 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Displaying special characters
« on: February 20, 2021, 12:42:38 AM »

My browser, Firefox, has no problem displaying special non-English characters like n with a tilde or vowels with accents. However when I clipped text from Spanish sites for my post about Skywald artists, the CB+ post turned all those characters into question marks. "Jose" with an accent on the "e" became "Jos?" I checked the Mozilla forums but their advice (ten years old) referenced setting that aren't in my version of Firefox. Can anyone tell me how to fix this? Do all our English readers see the "?" too?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Displaying special characters
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2021, 05:56:11 AM »

I always use the current version of Firefox. But more and more that I find question marks in the text. I don't think its Frefox, I think its a minor fault in CB+. Especially since Its now happening when I view other people's posts. It also happened when I open CB+ in VIVALDI browser.
Now you mention it, here is another problem I have, say I create a post, close it, post it, and then 10 minutes later go back and open the post to modify it. [And its great that you can do that in CB+] I often find miscellaneous characters in the text that I have to get rid of before I can repost the text. I also think that is something to do with CB+ itself. It doesn't happen anywhere else.       
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2021, 08:14:37 AM »

Panther, the same thing has happened to me when I edit a comment. The new characters that pop up are the "computerese" HTML tags (I hope that's the proper term; I'm mostly ignorant about this subject) for characters like apostrophes and quotation marks. I delete them and re-insert the symbols that were supposed to be there. It doesn't happen every time, and it seems to happen less often when I click on "modify" at the top right of the message window than when I click on the paper-and-pencil icon at the lower right.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2021, 05:30:14 PM »

Panther, the same thing has happened to me when I edit a comment. The new characters that pop up are the "computerese" HTML tags (I hope that's the proper term; I'm mostly ignorant about this subject) for characters like apostrophes and quotation marks. I delete them and re-insert the symbols that were supposed to be there. It doesn't happen every time, and it seems to happen less often when I click on "modify" at the top right of the message window than when I click on the paper-and-pencil icon at the lower right.

Firefox cannot be the problem.  I use Firefox most of the time, and I often use a Dutch, Scandinavian, Finnish, Spanish, French, and German keyboard, and ALL the non-English symbols appear as ? when I'm on CB+, but NEVER when I'm on a website from those countries, or on most of the websites I visit, including those based on English language.  I do however have another couple of fora I frequent that can't read the non-English special characters, so, that seems to be proof that the ability to read and display such characters is not in the browser, but in the capabilities of the website's operations software.  However, when I delete the question marks and re-insert the symbols that were supposed to be there, the question marks always return.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.