in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 185 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Wonder Woman

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Wonder Woman  (Read 1052 times)

Andrew999

message icon
Wonder Woman
« on: February 20, 2021, 09:41:57 AM »

Happy 128th birthday today to Elizabeth Holloway Marston - one of the most intriguing women in comicdom:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_Holloway_Marston

She was born in the Isle of Man, a self-governing island nestled between Britain and Ireland - like a Caribbean island dependency dumped in the middle of the Irish Sea. For those who don't know it, it's worth exploring:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isle_of_Man

I have a small link to Elizabeth. In the movie Professor Marston and the Wonder Women, Elizabeth is played by Rebecca Hall, a former student of mine.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Marston_and_the_Wonder_Women

Who would make a good Wonder Woman in your eyes - one from the past, one from the present?

From the past, I can imagine Bettie Page in the role - and from the present, hmmmm, Megan Fox?

« Last Edit: February 21, 2021, 11:36:43 AM by Andrew999 »
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
Re: Wonder Woman
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2021, 08:48:01 AM »

RIP Joye Hummel, 97 - the first woman, I believe, to write Wonder Woman comics:

https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30404690

Was she the first women writer of comic books - I'm not very up on these things?
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 12:54:11 PM »

According to the Women in Comics Wiki, Joye Hummel wrote Wonder Woman stories in Comic Cavalcade #11-13, 15, 19, 23, 29; Sensation Comics #41, 43, 48-49, 52-55, 57, 59, 64-65, 71-79, 81-82, 85; Wonder Woman #13-21, 25-30 (1944-1947).

The first woman writer of comic books may have been Dorothy Roubicek, who was an editor at All-American Comics from 1942?1944. From 1945?1946 she was an editor for Timely/Marvel, and in 1948 for EC Comics. During 1971?1972 she returned to DC Comics to edit Lois Lane, Wonder Woman, and some romance titles.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2021, 10:56:02 PM »

Was she the first women writer of comic books - I'm not very up on these things?

Tarpe Mills was writing stories that were published in comics cover dated early 1939 (but probably came out in late 1938), so if no other woman wrote comics before 1938, Tarpe is the first.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:53:29 PM »

Here's one for you all, did any women write for the Pulps? If so, who and what? Answers on a postcard to CB+ please.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Andrew999

message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2021, 07:42:56 AM »

Not an easy question so this one could stimulate some interesting research

Firstly, there were pulp magazines aimed at women - True Story, Snappy Stories, Ladies Home Journal,I Confess, for example - so I'm guessing that some women at least wrote for these even if they used a pseudonym.

Maybe what you had in mind though were the male pulps - detective, sci-fi, horror, western?

Some names spring to mind - Dorothy Hughes, Valerie Taylor, Mary Elizabeth Counselman, CL Moore, Leigh Brackett. Margaret Brundage did covers for Weird Tales and Gloria Stoll Karn did the same for Dime Mystery and much more.

That's a start but as women who wrote used pseudonyms right up until the 1980s, I'm sure there's a lot more out there to be uncovered.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2021, 09:26:55 AM »

[Dorothy Hughes, Valerie Taylor, CL Moore, Leigh Brackett.] D'oh! I should have guessed those!
Thanks Andrew!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.