in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,174 books
 New: 243 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Watcha Watchin'?

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 137

topic icon Author Topic: Watcha Watchin'?  (Read 731855 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Watcha Watchin'?
« Reply #3025 on: October 10, 2021, 03:05:46 AM »

I always remember how Peter David, in his column in The Comics Buyer's Guide, reviewed the 1st M:I movie.  He described it this way... Suppose you had a STAR TREK story, in which you found that that Jim Kirk MURDERED his entire bridge crew... FOR MONEY.  That was the S*** they tried to pawn off on movie-goers.  And, they wanted to bring back the original cast from seasons 2-3... and kill them all off.  GOOD for all 5 of them for turning it down flat.

As Peter David said... Jim Phelps is one of the SMARTEST people on the planet.  If he ever decided to pull a robbery for personal profit, he could do it, pull it off without a hitch, without anyone ever finding out he was behind it, and, WITHOUT murdering HIS FRIENDS.

I view that Tom Cruise atrocity as something some bitter rival in the CIA cooked up to smear Phelps' name.  While it was in theatres, the real Phelps was sitting at home, laughing about it... while planning the downfall of the man who gave the film the green-light.

;D

For a year and half, the M:I revival was my #1 favorite show on TV.  It still pisses me off it was yanked off the air, and without ever being officially "cancelled".  At the time, they said it was "being put on hiatus", a phrasing suggesting it was coming back soon.  But it never did.

While the original always stressed plot and STYLE over characters, the revival-- JUST like THE NEW AVENGERS in the 70s-- perhaps knowing it couldn't measure up in brilliance or style, decided to make the characters more three-dimensional people.  I LIKED these characters, something I could never really say about the ones on the original show.  Thao Phenglis as Nicholas Black was probably my favorite, but Jane Badler as Shannon Reed was a close 2nd, and she became my favorite woman character in the entire 9 years of the series. What a shock after she was so EVIL on "V".

A fun bit of trivia I never realized before:  Phil Morris' acting debut was as one of those annoying KIDS on the STAR TREK episode "Miri".  ST & MI were shooting on the same lot.  Also, he had a cameo as an Enterprise crewman in STAR TREK 3.

Antony Hamilton had earlier starred in the 1984 tv-movie version of "SAMSON AND DELILAH", which had a cameo by Victor Mature as Samson's father.  When I re-watched that a few years ago, the style struck me as an obvious fore-runner of the Kevin Sorbo HERCULES series.  Although it was supposed to depict ancient times, the style of the writing and acting was very "modern". Tragically, he passed away far too young sometime in the 90s.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:09:11 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3026 on: October 10, 2021, 03:21:35 AM »

THE RADIO FUN BUMPER SONG BOOK TUBE-A-THON--Part 2 of 2

THE FLEET'S NOT IN PORT VERY LONG
(Noel Gay): The Crazy Gang

The crazy gang was formed in the early 1930s by three "double acts" from the music hall: Bud Flanagan & Chesney Allen, Jimmy Nervo & Teddy Knox, and Charlie Naughton & Jimmy Gold. Their brand of "knockabout comedy" was hugely popular and inspired many later comic groups. They performed regularly at the Palladium and appeared in several movies. King George VI was a big fan.

"The Fleet's Not in Port Very Long" is a sort of sequel to another Noel Gay composition, "The Fleet's in Port Again," which seems to have been introduced by Alan Breeze with Billy Cotton's band in 1935. Fans of odd musical numbers will enjoy this excerpt from The Crazy Gang's 1937 film O-Kay for Sound. In the film the number is performed on a movie screen before an audience. The camera switches back and forth from shots of the theater to shots "inside" the movie world. The presentation climaxes in a giant montage of marching military bands, battleships firing their cannon, and cheering Britons. The orchestra quotes "The Fleet's in Port Again" in the opening of the number and that song is also referenced in the lyrics. The singer is Peter Dawson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTWmk71smkk

THE HUMMING WALTZ
(Damerell-Evans): Sam Browne

This is not the General Sam Browne who created the Sam Browne belt. This Sam was the vocalist for Bert Ambrose's popular dance orchestra. The only recording I found of "The Humming Waltz" was this 1938 Mantovani recording. I doubt if the song had much of a life. Even by the standards of 1930s schmaltz it's pretty lame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sng20TuL6q0

GOODNIGHT TO YOU ALL (Denby-Watson): Gert and Daisy

Gert and Daisy were sisters Elsie and Doris Waters. They began performing as singer-comedians in the early 1930s but gained their greatest fame during World War II. The duo played their gossipy housewife characters on the stage, the radio, and even on 1950s television. "Goodnight to You All" isn't typical of their work, which was mostly lively humorous songs. I couldn't find "Goodnight" on YouTube, but here's a jolly example of their work from 1940, "Knees Up, Mother Brown." By the way, the pair's brother John Waters was Jack "Dixon of Dock Green" Warner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdRxWZ5-mvg

GANGWAY ( Lerner-Goodhart-Hoffman): Jessie Matthews

Energetic, charming Jessie Matthews started her career as a singer and dancer at the age of twelve. In the 1920s and 1930s she appeared in a string of successful stage musicals. In the early 30s she crossed over into movies and became even more popular. Though her popularity faded in the 1940s she continued to appear on radio and TV into the 1970s. "Gangway" is a number from the 1937 film of the same name. I love this number not only for Jessie's exuberant performance but also for the clever staging and the gleaming Streamline Deco set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo_ob8muHjo

THERE'S RAIN IN MY EYES (Ager-McCarthy-Schwartz): The Three in Harmony

I don't know who The Three in Harmony were. I found a British Pathe soundie of "The Radio Three." I wonder if it might be them.They were a female harmony group in the vein of the Boswell Sisters and the Three X Sisters. "There's Rain in My Eyes" was covered by a number of swing bands in the late 30s. Here's a typical example from Ben Pollack. This 1938 recording features a vocal by Paula Gayle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MD9l-eDLZ-A

For the record, here's the Radio Three video because I'm a sucker for 30s female harmony trios (the Bozzies topping the list). They're singing "I'm Gonna Wash My Hands of You."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FZ7k8l82Po

MR MIDDLETON SAYS IT'S RIGHT
(London-More): Arthur Askey

Arthur Askey was a major British comedian. His career began in the early 1930s and continued until his death in the early 1980s. Beginning in 1940 he appeared in a number of popular movies. I couldn't find this particular song among his many YouTube videos. In its place I offer this British Pathe short in which he sings "The Moth," a very funny song which reminds me of Flanders & Swann's animal songs. The song follows a rather flat opening monologue. It's worth waiting for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXqGjTZu1A

IN SANTA MARGHERITA (Morrow-Scher): Al Bowlly

Al Bowlly (the Bumper Song Book misspells his name) was born in Mozambique and raised in South Africa by Greek and Lebanese parents. In the mid-1920s he joined a dance band that toured various British colonies, ending up in England just in time for the Great Depression. He was saved by two music contracts: simultaneously recording with Ray Noble's dance band and singing live at Lew Stone's nightclub, Monseigneur's. His career faltered in the late 30s as a result of medical problems with his voice. He continued to perform, though, until his 1941 death in the London Blitz. Bowlly had recorded over a thousand songs in his short career. Here's his 1938 recording of "In Santa Margherita" backed by Lew Stone's orchestra.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjXqGjTZu1A

IT'S A GRAND OLD WORLD (Kennedy-Carr): Sandy Powell

Albert "Sandy" Powell was a cheerful comedian with extensive music hall experience. He had great success with recordings of his comic sketches and went into radio in the 1930s. He worked steadily into the 1950s. Here's a film clip of him singing "It's a Grand Old World," a catchy, upbeat song, while driving before some of the worst rear-projected backgrounds to appear in British film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G_PryRffPo

THE WHISPERING WALTZ
(Damerell-Evans) Joe Loss and his Band

Joe Loss was still working his way up the musical ladder when the Bumper Song Book came out. He'd started leading bands in the early 30s and was currently leading the band at the Astoria Ballroom. Loss accompanied legendary vocalist Vera Lynn in her first radio broadcast. His popularity grew throughout the 1940s and 1950s. He remained active until his death in 1990. I couldn't find "The Whispering Waltz," but here's "The Whistling Gypsy Waltz," a pretty instrumental version of the song Arthur Tracy sang earlier in the Song Book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0JFFCKB5nY

I haven't a clue who the J.J.P. was who wrote the closing poem.

A final note: The British Pathe company have an amazing library of vintage films, not just musical shorts but also historical and documentary clips. The collection is viewable online. Watching music hall favorites like Arthur Askey and Al and Bob Harvey I was struck by how stilted some of their performances were. These were seasoned pros with years of experience in front of audiences. Maybe that was the trouble. They had no audience and were stuck on a bare, echoing sound stage a few feet from a camera crew. They didn't know how to play for the camera. Arthur Askey's soundie is an interesting instance. His opening monologue is stiff and self-conscious but when he rolls into his song he really comes alive.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3027 on: October 10, 2021, 05:03:01 AM »

Just to amplify my points on Mission Impossible and Cruise.

I love these.
Says it all.

Honest Trailers - Mission: Impossible
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du1-ScWU-p0

Tom Cruise's jacket is a little detail that says a lot about Hollywood's craven attitude to China
https://www.smh.com.au/national/tom-cruise-s-jacket-is-a-little-detail-that-says-a-lot-about-hollywood-s-craven-attitude-to-china-20200810-p55k4k.html

Just Google that, you will find a lot more articles Not censored yet.

On that, there is also this
Marvels Shang-Chi, Eternals May Face Uphill Battle to Enter China
https://variety.com/2021/film/news/marvel-shang-chi-eternals-china-release-1234971166/

Don't be fooled by any of the 'given' criticisms, they are just excuses for China to flex its muscle on Disney.

If that's not enough, try this.
Mulan Xinjiang scenes filmed near 10 internment camps, 5 prisons
https://www.truthccn.org/2020/10/06/mulan-xinjiang-scenes-filmed-near-10-internment-camps-5-prisons/

This also is not an isolated post. Google that.

I won't be going to pay money for any Disney product in the foreseeable future.
Apart from the above,
The Actor playing 'Shang-Chi' looks nothing like the visual depiction of him in the comics.
The 'Eternals' movie looks like being the first where they have made radical - and I mean radical - changes from Jack Kirby's vision. The Marvel books are currently shoehorning 'Eternals' stories into regular series and just looking at the covers, I don't even want to read them.

Incidentally, the movie MCU leaves no stone unturned and no character is too insignificant.
They have just published a volume of all the KillRaven stories.
That character is my tip for one of the next MCU movies. Hey, maybe they think, well nobody on Mars is going to complain and War of the Worlds is PD, so it's our meat by rights!
Maybe that might also explain why James Robinson was pulled off of 'The Invaders' and the book canceled, just when his script was concerned with the Killraven characters?  I hope he has a good lawyer.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:16:04 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3028 on: October 15, 2021, 10:41:57 PM »

Today's movie: at last, my very 1st Hammer Film UPGRADE to Blu-Ray disc!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3029 on: October 17, 2021, 08:13:14 AM »

Crazy Gang are hilarious and well worth searching for their films. Taxi!
We both love Arthur Askey movies.  Ghost Train, Make Mine A Million, Back Room Boy........

As for M. I. Can't stand Cruise.  Eternals, I thought the comics were awful. Poor, poor stuff. I won't go to see Shang Chi. At one point I enjoyed the Gulacy version, but it all bores me now.

Prof, that us the excellent, Devil Rides Out, with the menacing and evil villain, Mocata, played by Charles Grey.. Great film.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3030 on: October 17, 2021, 02:45:01 PM »

UNEXPECTED "customer feedback" (JUST sent to Shout! Factory)...

"I just got ahold of your 2019 Blu-Ray of "THE DEVIL RIDES OUT". Loved it! I have just 2 things I want to bring up.

First, the text on the menu, example, "EXTRAS", is way too tiny and difficult to read for the size of the TV screen involved. I'm afraid I call this "bad design".

The second is a bit more BAFFLING. Every single time I pop this disc in, I get the following message:

"BD-ROM Date (USB) is not ready! Playback is currently active, but Error may occur."

I've had this machine (a Philips BDP1502) for 4 months, and this has never come up before. I thought something weird might have happened with the machine, BUT!-- I checked another DVD and another Blu-Ray, and the message DOES NOT come up with them. Also, when I hit the stop button, I am NOT able to simply hit play and resume where I left off... as I can with EVERY OTHER DISC I have ever used so far. With this disc, if I hit stop, then play, it goes back to the beginning, and the menu!

This, therefore, appears to be a glitch related DIRECTLY to this particular Blu-Ray disc, NOT the machine. ANY IDEAS???

Let me put it this way... it's a DAMNED good thing this movie has "scenes" (chapter breaks)."

^^ This drove me crazy for ALMOST AN HOUR before I finally thought to try popping in 2 other discs... BOTH of which worked perfect.

Personally, I'm not thrilled with the way the Philips machine is built... or how TINY the remote is... or how INDECIPHERABLE the ONLINE-ONLY manual reads... or how the on-screen "setup" menu is designed. For the most part,. I can't even understand the video & audio "options", either. And then there's the G** D*** "audio helper" (or whatever it's called), which I accidentally turned on, and then it took me over 20 minutes to TURN THE F***er OFF!

One thing I DON'T NEED is a machine TALKING to me. REALLY LOUD.

I suppose, this is what I get for buying THE CHEAPEST MACHINE I could find...... oh well!
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3031 on: October 21, 2021, 02:41:07 AM »

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3032 on: October 22, 2021, 06:35:58 PM »

"You-- you are The Phantom!"

"If I am The Phantom, it is because man's hatred has made me so."

8)
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3033 on: October 22, 2021, 10:37:15 PM »

Taking the unusual step of posting a comment twice, but in two different places.
Belongs here, really.

In Butterfly and Firefly #1001,[just posted]   

Page 5 here advertises the movie,
'The Lone Wolf returns' Starring Melvyn Douglas.
That movie and most of the 'Lone Wolf' movies and quite a few classics besides, can be found on this channel.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RickBusciglio/videos
Includes 'Stagecoach' which is a masterpiece.

To my knowledge, that character [Lone Wolf] never made it into the comics. Pity. I have one of the books. Just as popular as the Saint at one time.

Episodes of the Lone Wolf TV show [Starring Louis Hayward] are to be found here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXpMFwpZEqxjZyxL-UfB_hg

I recommend Both the movies and the TV show quite highly.   

Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2021, 11:15:46 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3034 on: October 23, 2021, 03:10:53 AM »

"Will you agree to become my BRIDE-- or do you prefer to see your lover DIE?"

(What kind of a choice is THAT??)

???
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3035 on: October 23, 2021, 03:34:38 AM »

From a Noir I was watching earlier,
'How do you spell money?'
'B-L-O-O-D!'
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3036 on: October 23, 2021, 01:43:15 PM »

GAWAIN AND THE GREEN KNIGHT
(Thames Television / 1991)

I just finished plowing thru this.  It's gained accolades for being true to the original story.  Fair enough.  But I found it PAINFUL to sit thru.  I wanted to like this so much, but I just couldn't.  It was so inteminably DULL, and early-on, the constant flashing back-and-forth between the end of the story and the beginning really got on my nerves.

Maybe someday someone will do an "authentic" version that is also a "good film".  But this isn't it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fBEv8xjBJf8
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3037 on: October 24, 2021, 10:05:50 AM »

Just watched
Maigret's The White Hat with an introduction from Barry Forshaw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPoX-lBW2zk

Superb!

As you will see at the end, this is a teaser for a DVD box set of Rupert Davies Maigret. To be released OCT 2021. 
I think I know what I'm going to get for Christmas.
4 seasons, 4 years. 

Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3038 on: October 24, 2021, 09:14:41 PM »

Crazy enough, my introduction to the character was the 1988 TV-movie with Richard Harris.  it had quite a cast...!

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0095566/
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3039 on: October 25, 2021, 04:21:54 PM »

The recent series of Maigret with Rowan Atkinson wasn't to my taste at all.  I'm a fan of the Maigret books in the original. And I like and fondly remember the Rupert Davies version.  The Bruno Cre'mer interpretation is probably closer the books.
The Atkinson series simply looked wrong. From the actual size of Atkinson to the portrayal of Mme Maigret, who was nothing like his wife as described in the books.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3040 on: October 25, 2021, 08:06:23 PM »

I watched The Ghoul, British Gaumont film from 1933, starring Boris Karloff, Cedrick Hardwicke, Ralph Richardson, and Ernest Thesiger (related to The Middle East Geographer/Explorer/writer Wilfred???).

It was an excellent, dark noire-style Thriller(with a slight touch of Horror), starring Karloff, as the usual tormented soul, who dared to go where mankind shouldn't go.  I hadn't seen it since it was shown on The CBC during the early-mid 1950s.  The lighting appeared as if it were night ALL the time, even in the midday scenes! I recommend it be watched in a completely dark room, as well!  8)

Link:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3gCiXoFY5Y&t=19s

« Last Edit: October 28, 2021, 04:02:12 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3041 on: October 27, 2021, 11:41:53 AM »

The two best Wilkie Collins mysteries,
The Woman In White starring Andrew Lincoln
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAMJUc851Nw
Excellent production and good added intro and outro.

The Moonstone Full Movie | 1934 | David Manners, Phyllis Barry, Gustav von Seyffertitz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1rsc3u1m-I

1934 Version, can't comment as I haven't watched it yet, but there is a more recent British miniseries, which is excellent.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 02:38:24 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3042 on: October 29, 2021, 01:27:41 AM »

I've also watched The Ape, from 1940, starring Boris Karloff, in one of his most common types of part, a well-meaning doctor/scientist, who goes where Mankind shouldn't go, killing local small, rural townspeople, who are the least likeable, to get necessary for bodily functions from them to give to his paralyzed goddaughter to help bring back functioning of her legs.  After a gigantic ape (gorilla) escapes from a travelling circus, and kills a townsman, and is shot in the head by a local, and killed, Karloff skins the hide off the beast, and makes a gorilla suit he uses to murder townspeople and deflect blame to the animal.  Needless to say, in the end, Karloff is shot  while in the monster suit, and dies.  The head portion falls off, revealing that HE is the murderer.  But, unlike all other wayward, wrongdoing doctor films, the findings of his illegal experimentation on Humans IS assumed, at the end of the film, that it WILL be used to help Humanity.  The serum he invented is still intact, as are his notes.  And so, it WILL be used to bring back the dead limbs of all paralyzed humans.

That ending, brought about by several murders, would NEVER get by the censors today (certainly not in a Disney film!)  8)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3043 on: October 29, 2021, 02:31:00 PM »

Remember the big flap over the preservation of data from NAZI medical experiments on concentration camp victims?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3044 on: October 29, 2021, 10:02:49 PM »

"You know TOO MUCH to LIVE!!!"
--Dwight Frye (1931)
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #3045 on: October 29, 2021, 10:19:26 PM »

This reminds me of a favorite gag from a forgotten cartoon (maybe Joe Horne's The Specialists?) The villainous mad scientist finally has the hero in his power. Gloating in time-honored mad scientist style he describes his evil plan to the hero, ending with, "But now you know too much to live!"

To which the hero replies, "If you'd have kept your stupid mouth shut I wouldn't know anything at all!"
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3046 on: October 30, 2021, 12:00:27 AM »

Robb, you might want to seek out Karloff's 'the Invisible Ray' which has a similar plot to 'The Ape'
I have been watching quite a lot of the old 40's ' Horror' films, one of them starring all three of Karloff, Rathbone and Lugosi.
It's been a revelation to me to see what these actors look  like playing parts that I don't visually associate with them. My visual image of Karloff comes from Frankenstein, but now I realize just how heavily made up he was in that role.
In the Old Dark House Karloff plays a character with somewhat similiar characteristics to Frankenstein - opposite  Charles Laughton. Visually tho, he is radically different. 
The old dark house 1932 HD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QON5i4GQ7ho
Just watched a minor film, but worth watching called  A FEATHER IN HER Cap (1935) starring Basil Rathbone and Louis Hayward
A FEATHER IN HER HAT (1935)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7yb0774c5c
Warning, this print of the movie ends too abruptly, appears chopped off right at the end.
I associate Rathbone with his portrayal of Holmes, but the character he plays here is quite different. These men are underrated as serious actors unfortunately.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 12:09:45 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3047 on: October 30, 2021, 01:01:29 AM »

Sherlock: A Case of Evil (2002) | Full TV Movie |
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CkFBcVNH6w

James D'Arcy    ...    Sherlock Holmes
Roger Morlidge    Roger Morlidge    ...    Dr. Watson
Vincent D'Onofrio    ...    Moriarty
Nicholas Gecks    Nicholas Gecks    ...    Insp. Lestrade

Strange beast this one.
The Director Graham Theakston has nothing spectacular to his credit. A journeyman, but not a bad one.
This was only the writer, Piers Ashworth's fifth script and the first made into a production. And it shows. it.
The cast are all excellent and, for mine, work well in the roles they play. Except for D'Onofrio's Moriarty.
This is not, 'Young Sherlock Holmes' but Holmes is noticeably young here.
As a film, it works well and i enjoyed it. So acting, sets, cinematography, atmosphere all excellent. 
As a Holmes vehicle, it's quite another story.
Holmes and Moriarty should play intellectual chess games with each other - to be faithful to Doyle.
Here Holmes is just another action hero, makes mistakes and doubts himself. Mycroft is not the superior older brother, although Grant does a good job with him.I do like Watson, LeStrade is not the usual decent bumbler, but the cliche TV cynical street cop.
But the script! This is full of every cliche out of 'TV thriller writer #101. Dreadful. Moriarty is a dastardly psychopathic egotistic sadistic villain who would not be out of place opposite Doc Savage.Or Batman.
There is just no subtly in this script.   
There are lots of shots of Hansom cabs, but there are jarrying elements that are not chronologically accurate.
I don't remember Doyle's Holmes using a telephone and Newspaper reporters didn't run after detectives or print lurid headlines in that era.
But the real change is that Doyle wrote Holmes as asexual, that is, sex was never a significant part of the narrative, not what he was writing about. Here Holmes is decidedly heterosexual and his sexual ethics are those of the post-pill late 20th century, not the Victorian era. TV and Movie depictions that are not faithful to the era attract my ire.
But as I said, I enjoyed it as a movie - and it did give me some new insights into Holmes.
Probably made as a pilot for a TV series which never happened.
Oh, The Director Graham Theakston early in his career did a kids TY series, The Tripods, obviously based on 'War of the Worlds' concepts. Anybody out there ever see that? Was it ever a comic?   

Cheers!                   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 09:28:28 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3048 on: October 30, 2021, 01:07:26 AM »

Transatlantic Tunnel (1935).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_ki6AWh_zQ

Great sets!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3049 on: October 30, 2021, 08:20:33 AM »

Tripods was indeed a comic strip in the BBC mag BEEB.  It was drawn in his usual excellent style by John M Burns.  There are examples on Bear Alley.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 137

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.