in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Archers of the Golden Age

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Archers of the Golden Age  (Read 9471 times)

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Archers of the Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 07:29:09 PM »

Here's one not on CBR.  It's the Red Archer (El Arquero Rojo) who teams up with El Caballero Blanco in the comic, " El Defensor de la Cruz"  Spain 1964

Hope this works but, then again, I'm used to feeling a bit foolish.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 07:43:29 PM »

Thanks for the link Janus interesting article.
Unfortunately Paw these are books most of us will never get to see :(
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 07:45:48 PM »

There is just something about archers that keeps people fascinated.

This is good stuff Paw! Thanks for the link also Janus!

B.    :)
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:39:43 PM »

I'm impressed they got the Green Knight. There was also a superhero who dressed up as and called himself Robin Hood and who even had two Merry Men along the lines of Friar Tuck and Little John (Green Hornet #7). Another guy called himself Scarlet Arrow (Black Cat #5). Swiftarrow (Golden Lad #1) is the only one I've seen that used a crossbow. As matter of course, most of the jungle heroes were archers of one type or another.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 06:46:51 PM »

I knew there was another one.  This time its L'Archer Rouge (The Red Archer - but a different one) from a French comic, " Hardi les Gars", 1948.  This was a serial in the comic, 4 pages each fortnight.  While I have other issues of the title, I only have 1 episode of this guy.

ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:47:27 PM »

I love that outfit he's wearing!   ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »

It's a bit dopey, don't you think?  I wonder if many of us consider historical heroes and cowboys as not mystery men. The ones who wear masks and have secret i/d's that is.  And if not at what period do we draw the line?  Just curious and it's probably not important to most.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 11:24:49 PM »

Up till the beginning of the 20th Century doing the right thing regardless of personal risk was a matter of honor and expected of those who lived by the sword or gun, or bow for that matter. In the 20th Century anyone who wasn't out for number one was an oddity.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 02:07:19 AM »

I am afraid that is a romantacized version of early-twentieth century and a cynical version of the late twentieth century and beyond. Comes more from the media than history. Look at the response to natural disasters, etc. There really are still a lot of good people. Power corrupts and if we look at "leaders" or those in power we do begin to believe the worst.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2010, 02:52:02 AM »

I am afraid that is a romantacized version of early-twentieth century and a cynical version of the late twentieth century and beyond. Comes more from the media than history. Look at the response to natural disasters, etc. There really are still a lot of good people. Power corrupts and if we look at "leaders" or those in power we do begin to believe the worst.

Actually if you look at the state of corruption in law enforcement during the early 20th century US, especially in large cities like Gotham was patterned after, and the constant barrage of scandulous behavior of the wealthy both in the US and Europe, a philanthopist like Bruce Wayne was rare enough, and one who'd risk life and limb to protect the common man from organized crime was practically unheard of.

And I was speaking of early 20th century on back, like 1910 to medieval times.
In the 1920's and thirties the closest thing to Robin Hood was John Dillinger or Prettyboy Floyd. Not very good examples for the youngsters.
Some wealthy types were noted law enforcement figures but none I can think of who'd risk life and limb and personal freedom acting as a vigilante without a badge to hide behind and a police force as backup.

Batman was called the Dark Knight because his personal code was much like that of a true and honorable knight.

Power does corrupt but the honorable man remains uncorrupted.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 08:51:56 AM »

"the constant barrage of scandulous behavior of the wealthy both in the US and Europe" - Captain Audio

Not so sure about the historical accuracy of your point, Captain.  I would suggest that the behaviour of many politicians and law enforcement agents pre. 1900 in most western countries could be considered deplorable by modern standards.

It's correct, I believe, that political corruption and downright gangsterism were regular occurrences in big American cities and in the U.K. corruption was rife in politics and everyday life, especially as the vote was limited and the majority of the population, up to and including the industrial revolution, lived very difficult lives in considerable poverty with no help from the politicians. Even in the early part of the 20th century, the poverty and disgraceful living conditions of millions of citizens in our British cities was a national shame. There were many good people, but not enough, unfortunately, who were prepared to campaign and risk their"reputations" to correct some of the problems. I would cite Wesley, Robert Peel, the Salvation Army.  I'd give more examples but it's a long time since I did my history higher and age isn't helping my memory.

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 03:01:49 PM »

I think that you chums are veering into "Politics Land" & in "Politics Land" there.be.monsters.yarrgghhh!

Just say'n.  ;)

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 03:14:36 PM »

Yeah we got away from archers but I would not call this a politically disagreeable conversation. Everyone agrees they are all crooks  ::) We get in trouble when we try to discuss which are the bigger crooks. ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »

Oops!  Yes, you're right.  Got a bit carried away there. There is a general election coming up and many in the U.K. are fed up already with the personality politics and lack of policies.  It's no surprise I went of on one.
Much more important, back to Archers.  Well I have 2 more but they aren't G.A. and I'm still trying to figure out how to do the thumbnail thing.  The Black Archer and X-BOW are both British from the 60's and late 70's respectively.  Both appeared in weekly comics and both used crossbows.  X-BOW had a fancy motorbike and gimmick bolts while Black Archer morphed from Clem Macy, reporter, by concentrating.  His costume and bow appeared with the change. The crossbow allowed him to fly and he also had trick bolts.  What wonderful nonsense.  You've got to love it.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »

Much more important, back to Archers.  Well I have 2 more but they aren't G.A. and I'm still trying to figure out how to do the thumbnail thing.  The Black Archer and X-BOW are both British from the 60's and late 70's respectively.  Both appeared in weekly comics and both used crossbows.  X-BOW had a fancy motorbike and gimmick bolts while Black Archer morphed from Clem Macy, reporter, by concentrating.  His costume and bow appeared with the change. The crossbow allowed him to fly and he also had trick bolts.  What wonderful nonsense.  You've got to love it.

A cross bow that allows one to fly?!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D  Any info links to these two on the net? I'd love to read a little bit more on them.

B.  :)
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 05:38:18 PM »

Working on it. A bit difficult to find much.  In the meantime if you read a bit of Spanish you might be interested in this site:-

http://www.tebeosfera.com/documentos/textos/los_heroes_olvidados_los_personajes_de_ipc.html

which has lots on heroes and comic character that might be new to you.  There are illos as well. Including a couple of illos of The Steel Claw ( Zarpa de Acero) when he had his superhero costume.  Derided by many, loved by me.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »

I have to say that while the Salvation Army are honorable and upright, I can't envision them leaping from rooftop to rooftop chasing jewel thieves, or smashing through the door of a warehouse to engage smugglers or spies in hand to hand combat.
But now that I think on it, that would make an awesome comic series. And they already have some spiffy uniforms.

Cover could be a masked man in the dress uniform of the SA swinging in on a rope  and smashing through a window crying "Salvation and Redemption are at hand".

Back to topic, wasn't there a female archer, I seem to remember running across the character while looking for something else, I think a red costume.
I checked the Huntress, and she had a red cloak, but thats not the costume.

Anyway Sheena used a bow often, and Wonderwoman used a bow in competition on the island, bows being the signature weapon of the Amazons.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 06:19:32 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »

Working on it. A bit difficult to find much.  In the meantime if you read a bit of Spanish you might be interested in this site:-

http://www.tebeosfera.com/documentos/textos/los_heroes_olvidados_los_personajes_de_ipc.html

which has lots on heroes and comic character that might be new to you.  There are illos as well. Including a couple of illos of The Steel Claw ( Zarpa de Acero) when he had his superhero costume.  Derided by many, loved by me.

Thank you sir!  :D
ip icon Logged

Ed Love

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 08:39:52 PM »

Back to topic, wasn't there a female archer, I seem to remember running across the character while looking for something else, I think a red costume.
I checked the Huntress, and she had a red cloak, but thats not the costume.

Anyway Sheena used a bow often, and Wonderwoman used a bow in competition on the island, bows being the signature weapon of the Amazons.

Diana, the female partner of Boomerang, was an archer. Her costume was green though.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 12:25:44 AM »

Main reason that character's image stuck in my mind was because the outfit she wore reminded me of an outfit worn by Maid Marion in the old Robin Hood TV series.
A fairly long skirt, perhaps the cullotte type pants that look like a skirt for riding , short jacket, and Robin Hood type hat with feather. Dark Hair.

Theres a couple of covers with Babes and Bows on this site.
http://www.samuelsdesign.com/comics/agoodgirl_romance.html
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 12:33:54 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 12:35:54 AM »

Main reason that character's image stuck in my mind was because the outfit she wore reminded me of an outfit worn by Maid Marion in the old Robin Hood TV series.
A fairly long skirt, perhaps the cullotte type pants that look like a skirt for riding , short jacket, and Robin Hood type hat with feather. Dark Hair.

Are you speaking of the UK series from the 1950s? That Maid Marion was incredibly attractive :o in my opinion.

And thanks for the url -- that is a neat site!  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 04:33:13 AM »

Are you speaking of the UK series from the 1950s? That Maid Marion was incredibly attractive :o in my opinion.

And thanks for the url -- that is a neat site!  ;D

B.

Yep she was my ideal woman for awhile too.
The series is aired on Retro TV over here, on every day of the week. I seldom miss it and try to record it for later if I do.
I'd bought some DVDs of the series years ago as well.

There were some great adventure series on TV back in the fifties.
One was about Vikings and another about Bucaneers.
All the programing back then was excellent.
I watch the old films online whenever I can find them.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 09:21:24 AM »

Many years ago I had the pleasure of meeting one of the ladies who once played Maid Marion.

I wonder who can guess which one it was ?

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 10:24:56 AM »

Uma Thurman?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.