in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Archers of the Golden Age

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Archers of the Golden Age  (Read 9470 times)

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: Archers of the Golden Age
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 10:31:38 AM »

Slightly further back then that -LOL

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 12:39:15 PM »

phabox, put us out of our misery, please.  Robin Hood and other clips and info on old British tv shows can be found here:-

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/

Captain, thanks for the link, an excellent site.  I can't find the female archer you're talking about but I'm really curious now. I've been raking through my card index and, again even though they're not G.A., we shouldn't forget Queen Arrow from Worlds Finest in the late 50's, who was a female counterpart of Green Arrow.  (See what they did with the name there, clever, eh?)  Her costume is a female version of G.A.
Also, in U.K we had Justine, Winged Messenger of Justice, who appeared in the girl's weekly, Sally, in 1969 - 1971, I think, and when Justine Jones is in the Justine persona, has a magic bow which fires sleep arrows _  boox, her cloak gives her flight powers.
Plus, The Archer.  Appeared in the serial, "The Secret Flyer" in weekly comic The Hotspur in 1965.  He was a mysterious cloaked bowman who led the resistance in France.
Off to watch a couple of episodes of THAT Robin Hood.
ip icon Logged

phabox

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 12:59:08 PM »

The Maid Marion that I once met was none other then Hollywood legend Olivia DeHavilland herself who starred along side the best ever IMO Robin Hood Errol Flynn in the 1938 classic.

-Nigel
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2010, 01:47:18 PM »

The Maid Marion that I once met was none other then Hollywood legend Olivia DeHavilland herself who starred along side the best ever IMO Robin Hood Errol Flynn in the 1938 classic.

-Nigel

Lucky!!!  ;D
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2010, 01:59:50 PM »

Lucky sod. 
Try this for a tiny bit more on the Black Archer. Probably trying to teach my granny how to suck eggs as you all probably know about this site. Should have remembered this as the listing includes some of my info. :-

http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/b/blacarch.htm
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2010, 02:12:53 PM »

paw broon thanks for all of the perspective you are bringing us about non-US comics and fandom.   ;D ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2010, 02:29:51 PM »

Pleasure.  I love this stuff. Just tell me when it gets a bit much.  I can bore for Scotland on this.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 06:28:11 PM by paw broon »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2010, 12:02:32 AM »

Ressurecting this discussion to tell you of a few real life types of arrows that our intrepid Golden Age Archers might have used.

One that probably was considered a myth, until in recent years an interested archer dug up the historical references and created working copies, was the Turkish boomarang arrows, not what they called them of course but it describes their function.
These arrows could be fired at a high angle of elevation into the air by an archer on a parapet the arrow reaching its maximum height would then do a flip and come back in the general direction of the firing point, but losing alitude quickly it would strike among enemy troops who were attempting to batter through the wall with a battering ram. These war machines usually had thick wood and hide coverings to protect against arrows and rocks thrown from overheard but by necessity would be open at the back end.

American Indians sometimes used a sort of shotgun effect arrow for hunting birds, shooting fast flying birds on the wing.
The arrows were split lengthwise and the splines steam bent to spread out as far as possible. The end of each spline had a tiny fish hook like barbed head. Sometimes more hooks were added along the length of the splines.
A thick ring of hardwood or stone was splipped over the arrow to hold the splines close together.
When fired the inertia of the heavy ring caused it to slide back freeing the splines which opened up like an umbrella's ribs.
This gave a rapidly spining barbed framework that gave a much better chance of snagging a rising bird on the wing at close range.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »

Ressurecting this discussion to tell you of a few real life types of arrows that our intrepid Golden Age Archers might have used.

One that probably was considered a myth, until in recent years an interested archer dug up the historical references and created working copies, was the Turkish boomarang arrows, not what they called them of course but it describes their function.
These arrows could be fired at a high angle of elevation into the air by an archer on a parapet the arrow reaching its maximum height would then do a flip and come back in the general direction of the firing point, but losing alitude quickly it would strike among enemy troops who were attempting to batter through the wall with a battering ram. These war machines usually had thick wood and hide coverings to protect against arrows and rocks thrown from overheard but by necessity would be open at the back end.

American Indians sometimes used a sort of shotgun effect arrow for hunting birds, shooting fast flying birds on the wing.
The arrows were split lengthwise and the splines steam bent to spread out as far as possible. The end of each spline had a tiny fish hook like barbed head. Sometimes more hooks were added along the length of the splines.
A thick ring of hardwood or stone was splipped over the arrow to hold the splines close together.
When fired the inertia of the heavy ring caused it to slide back freeing the splines which opened up like an umbrella's ribs.
This gave a rapidly spining barbed framework that gave a much better chance of snagging a rising bird on the wing at close range.

This is neat stuff, Cap!   ;D 
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2010, 01:35:56 AM »

Glad you liked it.

Another archery related device was the use of Crossbows in WW1 and WW2 to launch message cylinders from one trench or bunker to another when field phones weren't operating.
Don't know what form the WW1 Crossbows had, but images of the WW2 crossbows show the "Arrowspeed" crossbow used by australia with the normal prod while another photo of a crossbow used in the 20th century world wars had the rubber tubing used by spearguns rather than a bowlike prod.
These crossbows were also used to launch small bombs. The range was less than a rifle grenade but these were more accurate and made no noise to speak of.

They could also launch a fine wire or line that could be used to draw in a field phone line.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 01:49:33 AM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.