in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAMATIZATION!

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAMATIZATION!  (Read 505 times)

f6point3

message icon
SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAMATIZATION!
« on: May 05, 2021, 03:15:31 PM »

Hello Gang -- This is my first post. I'm a lifelong comic book fan, now in my late 50s. I have collected books about newspaper comix, books about comic books, books about superheroes, etc., but I have never collected comic books. Weird, right? Probably.

Anyway, here's why I'm writing today. In my hobby as an audio drama creator, I have adapted dozens of pulp fiction stories and am currently the writer-director-producer of a series based on Dashiell Hammett's Continental Op tales that have moved into the public domain (1923-24). But in searching for my next project, I thought a comic book hero would be mighty keen.

I thought of "Airboy", but the origin stories don't seem to be available -- not to mention the Valkyrie stories, when she was with the Nazis. What a great audio series that would make! Alas, 'tis not to be, not without the source material (unless somebody has it and can share)...

So you fine folks tell me -- who would you love to hear as an audio series? Mind you, this would be true dramatization, with a full cast of talented actors, excellent sound effects, and exciting music. I don't skimp when it comes to that stuff. Drop your suggestions here, and thank you! If your suggestion is available at this site, I'll take a look at what's available.

Meantime, if you want to listen to my previous productions, there are dozens of them here: naradaradio.libsyn.com

Cheers -- Pete
ip icon Logged

f6point3

message icon
Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR DRAMATIZATION!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 10:03:17 PM »

Hey, I just discovered that the origin and early stories for "Airboy" are in "Air Fighters Comics". Woo hoo! Off now to do some heavy readin'.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2021, 12:36:16 AM »

Welcome f6point3.

I'm a lifelong comic book fan, now in my late 50s. I have collected books about newspaper comix, books about comic books, books about superheroes, etc., but I have never collected comic books. Weird, right? Probably. 
Nah, not too weird. Somewhat sensible, considering how much space a comic collection takes up.
I have adapted dozens of pulp fiction stories and am currently the writer-director-producer of a series based on Dashiell Hammett's Continental Op tales that have moved into the public domain (1923-24).

Any chance you could give us a link for that? That would be right up my alley.
I have several Hammett books within hand reach as I type.   
Have you looked at our 'Old Time Radio' section?
Over there you will find radio serials for
The Adventures of Philip Marlowe
The Adventures of Sam Spade

and The pulp hero 'The Avenger' among others.   
If you are looking for Public Domain material this Canadian site is a gold mine.
Its Canadian, where the PD rules are different, so not everything there is PD, but there are a wealth of characters here that are definitely PD. Some you won't have heard of.
Faded Page.
https://www.fadedpage.com/
You seem to be looking for a Superhero.
Why worry about an Origin? Just go right into a story, grab the audience and get to the origin later.
My choices? Your choices above make me think Noir, so
Johnny Dynamite - the most hardboiled comic character ever.
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=1945
Or
Black Terror
Origin Here
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=15058
I know the character has been done many times, but there is still scope for a good radio drama.
If you do Airboy, you need good Plane special effects!

Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 10:54:08 PM »

InDELLible Comics has some prose books. I think they would be good to have in audio, if you might be interested
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.