in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,820 books
 New: 189 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello  (Read 4347 times)

rdb1972

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: rdb1972
message icon
Hello
« on: April 24, 2010, 09:18:10 PM »

I am 59 years old and these comics bring back a lot of memories of my childhood.  I had a large stack of comics from this period that my mother tossed in the trash when I went to college. I think this site will help me recover from horror of the discovery of their destruction all those years ago.
ip icon Logged

Pollyp

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Pollyp
message icon
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 12:01:13 AM »

Hi, I am new as well. I think our mothers must have taken the same parent training course. I came home one day and she had "cleaned" my closet. I almost had a stroke at 12.  :o  I still dream about all my comics and where they ended up. I hope the trash man saved them from the bin and they were passed on.

I am going to be teaching a course on Francophone comics- bandes dessin
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 12:17:23 AM »

Welcome rdb1972 and Polly.
ip icon Logged

8thman

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: 8thman
message icon
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:39:19 AM »

Hi! I'm new here too.My name is Robin(NOT a girl),I'm 45 years old and live in Phoenix.I'm working on my own comic book called "FIREBLADE-Defender of Atlantis" wanted to show some pages but I dont know how.Up to pg.24 now.Plan to self publish it.If you give me an e-mail address I will send pages that way.TTFN
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:46:40 AM »

Your downloads have been set up for the month 8thman so enjoy.
ip icon Logged

crossrunning

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: crossrunning
message icon
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 07:09:38 AM »

my mother tossed in the trash when I went to college.

I think our mothers must have taken the same parent training course. I came home one day and she had "cleaned" my closet.

That's sad.  :-\
My mom did opposite of this.  When she found old comics, she picked them and gave to me.
I think they are from somewhere around 60s or 70s, and they are in my hometown.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 02:35:39 PM »

lucky guy cross. My mom did not throw my comics away but she did throw my life size Vampirella poster away. Worth 2-3 hundred now
ip icon Logged

Roygbiv666

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:43:32 PM »

my mother tossed in the trash when I went to college.

I think our mothers must have taken the same parent training course. I came home one day and she had "cleaned" my closet.

That's sad.  :-\
My mom did opposite of this.  When she found old comics, she picked them and gave to me.
I think they are from somewhere around 60s or 70s, and they are in my hometown.

I was aware of these horror stories, so I trained my mother well - she never threw any comics out. My uncle brought over a bunch of 1960s comics over once - very nice.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

8thman

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: 8thman
message icon
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 08:09:51 PM »

Well my original collection(Marvel/DC -70 to 79)my sister convinced me to give away when we moved from Alabama to Arizona.She said there was no room
for them in the truck :'( .BTW this is an incredibly cool site!!!Must donate soon.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 10:05:03 PM »

I was fortunate to have an older cousin whose parents bought her all the comics she wanted. She read them once and gave them to me. Superman "Family" books as well as all the Harvey and Archie titles
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 07:01:11 AM »

lucky guy cross. My mom did not throw my comics away but she did throw my life size Vampirella poster away. Worth 2-3 hundred now

I have to brag, narfstar,
with a little Vampirella poster story. Back in 1971 I attended my first (and only) New York Convention. I actually stayed several nights on the floor of Phil Seuling's apartment. I hung around with the Comics and Comix guys, Bud Plant, John Barrett, Dick Swan, etc. Bud was on his way to becoming a distributor and he had an appointment to meet Jim Warren. So all the rest of us tagged along - I mean, cool, right? Jim Warren! Wow!

Well, one of the things Mr. Warren showed us during the visit was a DOUBLE-Vampirella poster (apparently, they were printed two-up and then trimmed separately). Well Dick Swan and I BOTH wanted it and we flipped a coin and I WON! I still have that double-Vampi poster rolled up somewhere in my "other" attic - the one Geo shot with the comics all piled up on the floor.

And my mom threw out my comics, too, but it happened the day after I bought them and I just went back to the store and bought them again and hid them better.

That was 1966.

Ah, the memories... ps. Hello from Paris.

(|:{>
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 03:03:30 PM »

I have seen the single vampi poster go for $300 so no telling what someone might pay for your double. Nice grab though.
ip icon Logged

puzzlemonkey

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:07:12 PM »

I'll chime in as new as well!

I was a fan of everything comics back in the '80s. After being out of it for a while, I've found the new stuff really difficult to get into. (I'd go into reasons, but I freely admit my lack of interest is based on relatively shallow impressions of the current state of comics.) The classic stuff I'm seeing here has been a real breath of fresh air, and I look forward to digging in!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 03:25:50 PM »

I'll chime in as new as well!

I was a fan of everything comics back in the '80s. After being out of it for a while, I've found the new stuff really difficult to get into. (I'd go into reasons, but I freely admit my lack of interest is based on relatively shallow impressions of the current state of comics.) The classic stuff I'm seeing here has been a real breath of fresh air, and I look forward to digging in!

Welcome aboard! If you need any suggestions on what to sample just let us know. The Golden Age of Comics is the root for many of today's trends and there is something LITERALLY for everyone's taste.

B.  ;D
ip icon Logged

puzzlemonkey

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »

I'm starting with THE SPIRIT reprint books and filling in some Captain Marvels I don't have. Probably some Plastic Man after that. I'll listen to anyone who can suggest something to queue up next!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 06:29:16 PM »

My maw threw out my comics when I was 15, with the repeated excuse that I was studying for O grades and anyway, "comics are for kids - grow up".  So, until I got married, I sort of forgot about them.  Fortunately, my wife is very understandimg and indulgent, although she draws the line at hanging about with me in the comic emporiums I track down all over Europe.
JVJ. your mention of Jim Warren, in your excellent anecdote, reminds me that I should have said that Ken Barr, Of Warren and Commando comics note, has been turning up at the Sunday antique marts (where there are a few comics tables) in Glasgow, for a while.  What a nice wee man.  I've spent some time chatting and looking at the new set of posters he is having published. 
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 08:15:44 PM »

My wife actually went to a con with me once and enjoyed it. Of course she did not stay as long as me but the time there she found entertaining.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.