in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Merry-Go-Round comic

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Merry-Go-Round comic  (Read 1610 times)

lrek

message icon
Merry-Go-Round comic
« on: June 06, 2021, 07:22:26 PM »

I assume it has been pulled so that it can be updated per my comment, but it disappeared before I could add that the completed eBay listing also has a complete (but, again, damaged) inside front cover that should not be overlooked.

I had a quick look through some random issues of Ha-Ha from about that time (praise be to Conan for his uploads!), but did not find the duck gag. Someone with more patience than I might take that on, or try doing it through GCD.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Merry-Go-Round comic
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2021, 06:03:41 AM »

I assume it has been pulled so that it can be updated per my comment, but it disappeared before I could add that the completed eBay listing also has a complete (but, again, damaged) inside front cover that should not be overlooked.

I had a quick look through some random issues of Ha-Ha from about that time (praise be to Conan for his uploads!), but did not find the duck gag. Someone with more patience than I might take that on, or try doing it through GCD. 

I couldn't even find the book on GCD!  But, I know I've seen it there before.  CAN you tell me where it is listed.  I searched for Merry-Go-Round (with and without the dashes) and also adding a number 1 (even though there was no series number on the book, I also added La Salle Publishing to differentiate it from The Canadian series #1 issue (but that book isn't even indexed on GCD, as far as I know). 

Can someone tell me where to go on GCD to find La Salles Merry-Go-Round unnumbered Giant Comic?

I gather from your reference to The Duck Gag above, you were referring to a 1-page gag (probably drawn by Dan Gordon), which starred one or more ducks.  You remember seeing that on the inside back cover of an intact copy of that issue?  You think it was reprinted in a Ha Ha or Giggle book out around that time?  The reprints of the first 2 missing stories were in Ha Ha issues 63 and 64, which were released in March and April, 1949 (almost exactly 4 years later than the Merry-Go-Round Giant book).

Can you please describe the gag for us?  If you do, I will look through every Giggle and Ha Ha issue, to see if it was reprinted, or printed before The Giant was issued. 

Also, I have the names of the front and back cover artists, as well as the artists of 25 of the 27 stories and gag pages, and 9 of the 27 writers.  The two stories artists I cannot identify are the 16th story - Oscar The Ugly Duckling, and the 24th, Mortimer Mutt.  If you know, or can identify the artists of those 2 stories, I'd appreciate it very much.

In addition, as a long-time fan of The Sangor Studios comic book production, I am missing just The 1945 Funnybone Comics Giant, and Funny Films 29 (although I have about half of that book's pages), and Canadian Merry-Go-Round 1(I have the pages I posted here on CB+), and missing The 1955 digest-size Good   Comics 7 cents Mini Comic - Funny Comics 1 (but I believe it was all reprints of Giggle or Ha Ha stories, as were all 5 of the others), and also missing The Duke and The Dope, Izzy and Dizzy, Giles, and Gus The Ghost 1949 Shmoo Hard Candy giveaway mini-comics.  But those are likely to all be reprints of Google and Ha Ha stories (as are all those I have seen). 

I have seen a good quality copy of Funnybone sold on auction during the last 5 years, and heard a rumour that it has been submitted (or, at least oferred) for scanning.  So, I hope it will be uploaded onto CB+ reasonably soon.  It's probably the last source of Sangor ACG/Creston output stories that would be new to me, other than maybe 2 stories in Funny Films 29.  Otherwise, I'm still missing a 4 Coo Coo books, 2 Goofy, 1 Barnyard, 2 Dizzy Duck, Nedor's Complete Book of Comics and Funnies, and 4 Buster Bunny books.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2021, 10:49:44 PM »

I couldn't even find the book on GCD!  But, I know I've seen it there before.  CAN you tell me where it is listed.

https://www.comics.org/issue/351502
ip icon Logged

movielover

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2021, 03:34:21 PM »

I have seen a good quality copy of Funnybone sold on auction during the last 5 years, and heard a rumour that it has been submitted (or, at least oferred) for scanning.  So, I hope it will be uploaded onto CB+ reasonably soon.  It's probably the last source of Sangor ACG/Creston output stories that would be new to me, other than maybe 2 stories in Funny Films 29.  Otherwise, I'm still missing a 4 Coo Coo books, 2 Goofy, 1 Barnyard, 2 Dizzy Duck, Nedor's Complete Book of Comics and Funnies, and 4 Buster Bunny books.

The scanner with Funnybone is not scanning at the current time. And even if they were, it is at the back of the line.

as for the Nedor, I know of no one actively seeking the books to scan
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 04:14:03 PM by movielover »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.