in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Charlton British issues

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Charlton British issues  (Read 769 times)

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Charlton British issues
« on: June 25, 2021, 03:34:51 PM »

Can anyone shed light on the"RV" which appeared on British Charlton releases in '63, '64?  The "RV" has stumped me but I think it might be a distributor.
And no, it's not Recreational Vehicle.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Charlton British issues
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 11:25:56 AM »

While this might seem of litle interest to most of you. it is particular to British collectors who bought pence stamped copies of American comics.
Fortunately, Adam Eterno and Get Marwood & I, both members on comicsuk.co.uk, Have dug up some info.  Adam informs us:-
"I?ve asked around and the best answer I?ve found was from the one and only Steve Holland who suggests ? Might be Roberts & Vinter, who were book distributors in the 1960s. They became publishers ? of Hank Janson, New Worlds SF magazine and Compact Books ? and probably had a finger in many other pies, like distributing comics.? which sounds pretty reasonable to me"
And Get Marwood & I notes:-
"I've found quite a few references now to Roberts & Vinter online, and connections to both Thorpe & Porter and Gold Star. The timings fit, so it seems highly likely that the stamps I posted above are theirs. There is a rarer 'RW' variation of the stamp towards the end of the run and, lo and behold, a David Warburton seemed to be a Roberts & Vinter person - perhaps his W replaced Vinter's V? I'm hoping to find a smoking gun example that definitively ties the shield stamp to them, perhaps on or inside one of their other know distributed publications - fingers crossed...."
There you are. A curiosity perhaps but it piqued my interest. 
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.