in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,806 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Rob Liefeld's "The Shield"

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Rob Liefeld's "The Shield"  (Read 972 times)

FraBig

message icon
Rob Liefeld's "The Shield"
« on: June 26, 2021, 04:34:07 PM »

This week Archie Comics published a new series by Rob Liefeld called "The Shield". This series features the MLJ Comics (now Archie Comics) character Joe Higgins, the Shield.

Do you think Rob will portray this character respecting his Golden Age characterisation or he'll write him as totally different character?
ip icon Logged

Rintintin

message icon
Re: Rob Liefeld's "The Shield"
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 02:16:46 AM »

I know most hate him cause of his art, but I hate him cause he destroyed the X-Franchise with X-Force + Deadpool & it's been **** since.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 02:23:01 AM »

I'll keep an eye out for this one. I know of Liefeld simply because his art is so controversial.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 06:14:53 AM »

Hey Frabig,
look up above to the small yellow menu just above your avatar of Bob Phantom.
Where you see, My messages, you should see a (1) -       please read the message and send me a reply, you still have time.

Re Rob Liefield, back when he was with 'Awesome comics' he took on Kirby's 'Fighting American' which was pretty brave. He must have a thing for heroes coloured Red, White and Blue.
Fighting American! Part 1
https://podcast.robliefeldcreations.com/fighting-american-part-1/

His art was terrible as far as anatomy goes. This was the era of Schwarzenegger clones as Superheroes.
And Arnold when he was in posing mode at that.
Still, he was only 18 when he started working at Marvel. Let' hope he has learned a lot since then.
And if he has been saving up ideas since 'Fighting American' we may have something good to look forward to.
More about MLJ and the Shield and others in tomorrows new Reading Group and comments.     
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 01:45:25 PM »

This could be a right old can of worms given how people see Liefeld.  Strong opinions out there on his work.  But, The Shield?  Really.  I know Archie keep trying to revive their old heroes, and I admit I haven't seen Liefeld's work on this, so I wonder if this disrespects a great, classic character.  I dug up Harry Mendryk's old blog post on The Shield and The Double Life of Private Strong:-
https://www.cbr.com/comic-blogs-should-be-good-simon-and-kirby/
https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/simonandkirby/archives/2564
This/these is/are The Shield but there are more. 
I'll happily read superhero comics incl.a lot of the really bad ones - I have terrible taste at times.  How bad will Liefeld's take be?  I'm worried.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 07:34:08 PM »

Thank you all for your feedback, I must say I'm a bit skeptical like Paw, I don't know if Liefeld's work will be good enough. I'll read the issue as soon as I can.

P.S.: Panther, I should have answered to your PM, let me know if you received the message.

ip icon Logged

mpeacockJLA

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: mpeacockJLA
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2021, 01:11:51 AM »

Even as a person that ate up Liefeld's work in the prime 90's period... yes, I may have been one of the 10's of people that was supporting the Extreme Studios imprint of Image Comics... his current style feels like it's gotten somehow WORSE.

But I still can't shake the feeling I'll still try this story out.
ip icon Logged

Rintintin

message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 06:57:18 PM »

Even as a person that ate up Liefeld's work in the prime 90's period... yes, I may have been one of the 10's of people that was supporting the Extreme Studios imprint of Image Comics... his current style feels like it's gotten somehow WORSE.

But I still can't shake the feeling I'll still try this story out.

I was all alone at the comic shop yelling that his New Mutants was junk.
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 02:58:00 AM »

I just read this yesterday and all I remember were a bunch of character poses. Total throwaway waste of paper. I can?t even remember the plot!  Was there a plot? 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2021, 04:59:52 PM »

I suppose there was a sort of a plot but I'm not sure what it was.  All very confusing.  No substance. The figures are poorly done Lancelot looks like he has a big hole in his midriff. 
Is it possible - I hope not - that he's trying  Crisis 2 in the MLJ/Mighty universe? 
I will read this again as I am curious to figure out how bad a take this is on classic heroes.
Liefeld seemed like a chancer way back and this hasn't changed my opinion. 
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2021, 07:03:48 PM »

I had to look up the word chancer in my Scottish to English dictionary.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2021, 11:01:23 PM »

Or was that a typo for "chancre," which might describe Liefeld's art?
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.