in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,823 books
 New: 184 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Project Superpowers / Exciting Comics (rebooted heroes) reviews

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: Project Superpowers / Exciting Comics (rebooted heroes) reviews  (Read 4101 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Re: Project Superpowers / Exciting Comics (rebooted heroes) reviews
« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2021, 06:10:50 AM »

The Ghost (II): 1941, Daredevil Comics #5 (Lev Gleason). Brad Hendricks had it a bit tougher than most heroes. Instead of starting as a star in his own strip, he starts out as an adversary against both Hitler and the monstrous Claw. He had no superpowers but he had the Ghost Plane to help even the fight. http://www.herogoggles.com/Heroes/G_heroes.htm

I was hoping to find some details of his Ghost Plane. There were several attempts to create invisible aircraft, both in WW1 and WW2.
There was a WW1 biplane skinned in "Isinglass" , the flexible transparent material used to make windows for touring car convertible tops. It looked like a ghostly skeleton of an aircraft.
During WW2 some Catalina Flying Boats were fitted with small lightbulbs along the leading edges of the wings, controlled by light meters aimed at the sky behind the craft. The light emitted being exactly the same level as the sky behind the craft enemy lookouts could not spot an outline so the eye was fooled. These planes had notable success in bombing Japanese shipping.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2021, 10:13:26 PM »

There was a WW1 biplane skinned in "Isinglass" , the flexible transparent material used to make windows for touring car convertible tops. It looked like a ghostly skeleton of an aircraft.

Mica, or one of the other substances called isinglass? (Be funny if it was the one made from fish bladders.)
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: September 22, 2021, 06:19:54 AM »

Mica, or one of the other substances called isinglass? (Be funny if it was the one made from fish bladders.)

Mica I'm sure.
I suspect the experimental invisible biplane was the inspiration for Wonder Woman's invisible plane.

PS
While the old source I first read on this aircraft identified the covering as Isinglass  the Wikipedia entry states they used "Cellon" a German manufactured form of cellulose acetate. Cellulose acetate had been around since 1865 and was used to make transparent coatings for playing cards and such. In the 1930's this material replaced the nitrate films used by the movie industry, being less likely to catch fire and IBM used it for the magnetic tape used by early computers.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 12:35:21 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2021, 05:07:30 AM »

And so today I returned to Exciting Comics Issue 3 to catch up with the next tale: Crimson Scorpion.
As you may recall, this story has so far taken place in an Egyptian desert, within an underground shrine or temple of some sort as the protagonist, Professor Kocian discovers his powers by accident.

This part of the story takes place a few hours after the events of issue 2. Things are notably slower in this issue and the dialogue between the professor and his comrade quickly drops in to exposition and sarcasm. This gets worse as they return to their base. I won't divulge too much about the script to avoid spoilers but I will say that it dips so much from issue 2 that I had to go back to that issue and check the writer (David Furr) was the same person across all three issues. The artwork was interesting. The first time I saw this exaggerated lighting effect on one character, it caught my attention. By the time it was repeated for the third time, I was less impressed.

Other images, such as the lead female character in a bath robe, I felt were slightly self-indulgent on the part of the writer and artist.

On a brighter note, the final two panels still had make looking forward to the next issue.

The next story in Exciting Comics 3 is...Mary Miracle. Hmmm, who is this? Never heard of her. Let's see how the story begi...

aaaaaand it's gone!

Yep, two whole pages of that story. I guess it's a trailer for the next issue.

So the final story is not Mary Miracle but Bureau of Alien Detection And Supernatural Sightings...you get it? Get it?

That was the final straw for me. I'll give Exciting Comics the benefit of the doubt and call this the first miss in the series. Review of issue 4 coming soon(ish).
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2021, 09:06:48 AM »

Well, greg, I got to #7 but it was a trial.  After an interesting and not bad start, the stories quickly became poor stuff. I am curious to find out how far you get. Good luck.
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.