in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

BATMAN

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: BATMAN  (Read 2818 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
BATMAN
« on: July 15, 2021, 12:47:41 AM »

Yes, this will be my all-purpose thread for all film or TV versions of the character.

Never mind which version i'm starting out with here... (heh)

Well, as I promised myself, the 2nd time around, I was only gonna watch 5 3rd-season episodes-- all written by Stanley Ralph Ross. The Siren, Shame, and King Tut. All loads of fun.

So tonight, I started in on a show I haven't seen in at least maybe 40-45 years... THE ADVENTURES OF BATMAN. This was originally aired as part of THE BATMAN-SUPERMAN HOUR (1968-69), which was a half-hour of brand-new Batman cartoons, and a half-hour of reruns of Superman cartoons. Even then, I thought it was a rip-off. Apparently, they came up with a separate set of opening and closing credits, so they could syndicate the show on its own.

OH-- MY-- GOD.

You know there's idiots at the Internet Movie Database who love to knock Filmation's STAR TREK for having such terrible animation? This makes Filmation's STAR TREK look like a big-budget feature-film. This makes the Ralph Bakshi-produced Krantz Films seasons of SPIDER-MAN look like they had a real budget. (That show certainly had music that was 100 times better than this one.) This even makes Filmation's earlier JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH-- which I loved despite its many short-comings-- look fabulous, by comparison. (I'd like to get that show on DVD-- this makes me want it even more.)

I originally missed these, because the CBS affiliate in Philadelphia for many years had a 90-minute local show, CARTOON CORNERS, hosted by Gene London, and whatever CBS had scheduled during those 90 minutes was either run between 7-8 in the morning (before I woke up on Saturday mornings), or, after 1 pm. So I actually caught these when they did go into syndication.

As a kid of 9 or 10 years old, something I could not understand was, since this show debuted the very next week after the summer reruns of Adam West's 3rd season ended, WHY they somhow failed to get even a single actor from his show involved in this one. Playing the same parts, I mean.

Well, they did get ONE actor who appeared on the Adam West show. Olan Soule had played a TV news reporter in the 1st King Tut story. This skinny, milquetoast-looking glasses-wearing guy, became the voice of Batman. No kidding.

Robin was played by radio DJ Kasey Casey, also known as the longtime voice of Shaggy on SCOOBY-DOO, WHERE ARE YOU?

Ted Knight (before he played Ted Baxter on MARY TYLER MOORE) supplied the voice of Commissioner Gordon, and, the narrator.

Larry Storch (who I'll always remember for F TROOP) is credited as the voice of The Joker-- but having just watched the initial 2-parter, you couldn't prove it by me. The voice of The Joker in this thing is so screwed-up and twisted, it could be him, but it sounds nothing like his regular voice at all. It reminds me of what Dan Ayckroyd did when he created the DR. DETROIT persona.

Jane Webb did the voice of Barbara Gordon. She has quite a resume of cartoon voices-- Betty Cooper, Veronica Lodge & Big Ethel on the ARCHIE cartoons, Cindy Lindenbrook on JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH, Erica Lane on FANTASTIC VOYAGE (another series I'd love to get), Sabrina Spellman and other characters on SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH, both Ginger and Maryann on THE NEW ADVENTURES OF GILLIGAN, oh, and Catwoman.

The writing's pretty bad. The animation's much worse. The music is beyond forgettable. It's hard to be sure, but this show may be the absolute nadir of Filmation when it comes to quality (or lack thereof). And yet I'm laughing at the whole thought of it, that I went after this DVD set before so many others. Oh well, after this, upgrading the 90s BATMAN cartoons to DVD will be even more impressive. (I saw the complete series box set for nearly the same price as this thing-- doesn't seem fair, somehow-- heh.)

I froze-framed the end credits, and the only familiar name in the art department, was Mike Ploog. It blows my mind he had anything to do with this (layouts). But I bet he got paid way better for this than anything he ever did for Marvel Comics later on (FRANKENSTEIN, WEREWOLF BY NIGHT, GHOST RIDER, etc.). At least with the Bakshi SPIDER-MAN cartoons, you can actually recognize Gray Morrow's drawing style amidst the nearly non-existent animation. (I've often fantasized, if only that show had a real budget.)

Something your toy-buying heart may appreciate... the 1986 SUPER POWERS Batmobile toy I have (same scale as the action figures) looks amazingly just like the Batmobile in this 1968 Filmation cartoon. It's a lot more sleek and simplified than tha classic Adam West car, which was modified from a 1955 Ford Futura design model. My guess is, either the guy who modified that, or the people involved in the live-action show, owned the rights, and it would have cost too much to license the design. Too bad.

I've also got a 1989 movie Batmobile the SAME scale as the SUPER POWERS car, so the figures are inter-changable (heh). It was such a shock when I read that car's designer, Anton Furst (who also designed the Gotham City buildings in the movie) committed suicide only a few months after the film came out. WTF? To me, the '89 car was 2nd, right after the '66 car, for a classic design. It was intensely stupid when director Joel Schumacher had new cars designed for both of his Batman films. There was zero need for that.

ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
Re: BATMAN
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2021, 01:51:52 PM »

Can we include video game adaptions of Batman, too?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2021, 01:42:30 AM »

gregjh asked,
Can we include video game adaptions of Batman, too?

Hey, why not! I haven't played any but I believe some of those have cut scenes and whole narratives that make them better than some of the cartoons and animated series.

Prof said,
I froze-framed the end credits, and the only familiar name in the art department, was Mike Ploog. It blows my mind he had anything to do with this (layouts). 

Hey, you gotta start somewhere. Always loved Mike Ploog's work. You can bet that whatever you saw on screen was only a pale reflection of his layouts.
His IMDB credits are pretty formidable.
He worked on - and I cherrypick-
Wizards, The Dark Chrystal, Supergirl, Young Sherlock Holmes, Memphis Belle, The Tick series, The unbearable lightness of being [storyboard]
I've also got a 1989 movie Batmobile   

I don't collect toys, but you reminded you I do also have a model of that classic.
Here tis, in action.
Batmobile scenes сut | Batman 1989
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we_eTOeNSEE

Just look at that car next to the other cars of the day. It still looks contempory!

Creating Batmobile 1989 'Batman' Behind The Scenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhSOW6RK04
Chevy Impala engine!
The below is animation but amusing if you are into cars!
Batmobile vs Hypercars at Highlands
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxhs3bm7O-E

Cheers!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2021, 01:22:52 PM »

While Adam West's car was really from the 50s, Michael Keaton's in a way looked like it was from the 40s.  Which, I guess, went with all the wide-brimmed hats in that movie.

It was so stupid that they replaced it-- TWICE-- in the 3rd & 4th films.  I haven't seen a decent-looking Batmobile since the 2 Burton-Keaton films.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2021, 01:25:07 PM »

Been watching more of the '68 cartoons.  I don't know where someone said Larry Storch was involved with this show.  I wonder if somebody contributing to the IMDB may have confused it with some later version?

As far as I can tell, Ted Knight did the narrator, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred, and The Joker!

I haven't figured out The Penguin yet.

Jane Webb makes Catwoman sound like an OLD WITCH!   ;D

One glaring error I saw at the IMDB involved the 1967 Hanna-Barbera FANTASTIC FOUR cartoons.  They said Joseph Sirola did the voice of Dr. Doom.  NO, HE DIDN'T!  The funny thing is, he LOOKED like a young Victor Von Doom.  but that was never his voice.  I know because in one magazine-- it might have been COMIC BOOK ARTIST or ALTER EGO-- they happened to mention who did Doom's voice, and the INSTANT I read it, it hit me like a slap in the face.  I KNEW it was right, though it had never once crossed my mind.  And later, when I got to see the cartoons again, for the first time in decades, I easily recognized they were right.  And unlike Sirola, it was someone who had done a LOT of voice for H-B...  HARVEY KORMAN.  (The way he did "Hedley Lamar" in BLAZING SADDLES, his voice was very similar.)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 11:16:41 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2021, 03:02:13 AM »

I've been plowing thru the 1968 episodes. I know they had more villains than this, but I'm beginning to wonder what was going on. It seems like almost every week, it's Joker, Penguin, Riddler, Catwoman... and one with Mr. Freeze so far. WHAT THE...?

It's been so many decades, but all the way in the back of my memory, I just have this strong feeling that, even when I was about 10 years old, I felt the Filmation BATMAN cartoons were somehow an step DOWN from the SUPERMAN and AQUAMAN cartoons of only 1 or 2 years before. (Of course, my memory may be playing tricks on me. I haven't see those in even longer.)

But I do know the 1973 SUPER-FRIENDS made the 1968 BATMAN look fabulous by comparison! Oh, man, it was so sad to see Saturday mornings going to hell right before your eyes like that.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2022, 08:48:32 PM »

Batman (1989): How Warner Bros. Engineered BATMANIA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPMXwmU3T74
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 06:03:41 PM »

for your edification:

The Critical Drinker tackles "THE BATMAN"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCwfRWsxZfc
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2022, 01:30:24 PM »

INSANE lawsuit and ABUSE of power:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiM1At3O53E
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2022, 09:24:10 PM »

"Gotham City" by NELSON RIDDLE (1966).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1i4ZUkbnFIU
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2022, 12:00:45 AM »

Larry Storch passed recently.
Lawrence Samuel Storch (January 8, 1923 -July 8, 2022) [99 years!]
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/07/08/entertainment/larry-storch-obit/index.html

An impressionist, Storch recreated hundreds of voices and dialects ranging from Muhammad Ali to Claude Rains and voiced characters in many television and film animations, including The Pink Panther Show, Groovie Goolies, The Inspector, The Brady Kids, Cool Cat, Koko the Clown, Treasure Island and Tennessee Tuxedo.

Storch worked with Mel Blanc and June Foray at Warner Bros.-Seven Arts, voicing characters such as Merlin the Magic Mouse and Cool Cat. He continued his association with Filmation as a voiceover actor in other series and films the company produced, including Journey Back to Oz (1972) where he voiced Amos, farmhand to Aunt Em and Uncle Henry. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 12:06:58 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.