in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Howdy, Yee-haw 'n What-not

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Howdy, Yee-haw 'n What-not  (Read 1115 times)

Akorr

message icon
Howdy, Yee-haw 'n What-not
« on: July 15, 2021, 07:59:24 PM »

Yeah, you have to peek in here to see where I'm from, gotcha!
US of A, good ol' Wyomin' specifically.

I wish I had an amazing comic story, but alas. The interest was there but I was scared of being judged, so I stuck to reading comic history, with the odd manga and comic at the public library on weekends.
Then one day it hit me, I'm an adult! If people have issues with a harmless hobby that's on them, and boom.

Here we are a couple years later. I kind of just stumbled upon this place and it's like finding a treasure you didn't have the map for! Been looking for a place to find/get me some classic Capt.Marvel& co. for ages. The others were an awesome perk! Blue Beetle, even some Ted! Yeah, yeah, I always just assumed Ted was a DC creation, you know what they say about assume and all that  :P

Call me ridiculous, despite knowing there was a bit of the Golden Age for the Western genre it never occurred to me there'd be comics pertaining to Billy the Kid. It was a pleasant surprise!

I'm looking forward to having so much to read at night. The hubby is a fan of old radio shows, so I'll have to give them a try as well! Maybe he'll pop up as well.

Thank you for your time!

ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Howdy, Yee-haw 'n What-not
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2021, 01:01:03 PM »

Hello Akorr.  Welcome to CB+.  No need for any story, just enjoy comics.  I'm sure I've never met anyone from Wyoming.  Actually, I had to look in my atlas to remind myself where it was - please excuse my ignorance, I'm a considerable distance away.
Good that you found your way here, and join in please.
We have some compilations of a British version of Billy the Kid here
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3262
but it's not really like American versions, just really well drawn.
Enjoy yourself.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2021, 02:49:46 PM »

G'day Akorr,
Yeah, you have to peek in here to see where I'm from, gotcha!
US of A, good ol' Wyomin' specifically.

Well, its pretty obvious where I'm from, my Avatar gives it away.
Plenty of Westerns here. Go over to the Dell books for US Western TV show based comics.
It may surprise you to know that Cowboy stories are popular in much of the world.
You will find some in the French section, the Italian section, The Spanish section, In the English comic section and in the Australian section.
In the search engine - top right on the home page, type in Zane Grey,Max Brand or Ernest Haycox for some good Dell books. Yes, I'm a fan of Westerns. I live in the West myself. Much further west than you do!   
Then one day it hit me, I'm an adult! If people have issues with a harmless hobby that's on them, and boom. 

Exactly!
Reading your words, I can almost hear your accent!

Cheers!   
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 05:31:50 PM »

Hi Akorr! Welcome!

I'm a fan of old superheroes too, and this is definitely the best place to read about them!
There's not everything concerning Captain Marvel for copyright (some specific issues were acquired by DC) but there's a good amount of stuff.

Concerning Blue Beetle, there's litterally everything: Golden Age Dan Garrett, Silver Age Dan Garrett and Ted Kord.
There are also many compilations about the character that make it easy to read about him:
https://comicbookplus.com/?cid=3221
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2021, 10:36:11 PM »

Welcome Akorr!  You will certainly find a lot of Western genre comic books to enjoy here.  Thousands of hours worth!  I know where Wyoming is, I once worked for The Rosebud Sioux Tribe, and worked for The Blackfeet Tribe and The Fort Belknap Gros Ventre and Assiniboine Tribes in nearby Montana, and The Nez Perce Tribe in northern Idaho. 

I hope you spend a lot of time here enjoying the books, and comment about them in our forum.  We've had some interesting discussions of events during the 19th Century of The US "Old West", and can always benefit from additional experts on that subject, and people who live there, and might even have second-hand knowledge handed down from their grandparents or great grandparents, who lived that history.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Akorr

message icon
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2021, 05:20:01 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the suggestions!
I definitely welcome any and all suggestions. All I've found so far is just through basic poking around, ahaha.

Paw Boon, Honestly I've only ever met one person "in the wild" online from Wyoming, the rest have been in groups specifically for Wyomingites. There's only 500k of us here, so it's to be expected, I suppose.
There's more pronghorn/antelope here than people, just the way we like it :D.

There's no need to apologize for ignorance at all! There are Americans that don't know Wyoming's a state, let alone being able to place it. Expecting foreigners to know would be silly!

When I know I'm talking to folks out of country I make sure to hyperlink a map with Wyoming highlighted. I'm sorry I didn't think to do that here, that's my bad.

Thank you for the link! I love seeing how different places and cultures percieve the same thing. So the British(English?) take on Billy is right up my alley!

Aussie Panther, welp frickety-frack. I generally try to hide my accent and there you go seeing it :P An Australian cowpoke, well hi there, cousin!

I've heard the westerns were and perhaps still are big throughout the world but it's something I've never looked into. I didn't want to assume, lest I end up in the same debacle I did with Teddy up there.

The most exoerience I've had is foreigners (a lot of French) at Frontier Days

I've taken note of the authors, look forward to reading some good books! Thank you.

FraBig, don't worry I'm aware of all the malarkey with DC, so don't/ didn't expect everything. It's just nice to find something, y'know?

I'll have to go through that collection!

Robb K, I'm glad to meet someone who knows where it is! Or knows where it is without making a "Wyoming doesn't exist" joke :P.
I'll have to do a bit more  poking around the forums! I saw the "Introduce Yourself" and figured I made an account, I should at least do that. I shouldn't be a complete lurker, as I'm usually wont to do :X

It'd be awesome to discuss the history, share stories and what-not. Wow, that's amazing! Working for and with the various tribes over in this part of the country. I hope it was a good experience for you.

Thank you again all, I really appreciate it!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2021, 06:59:02 PM »

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the suggestions! Honestly I've only ever met one person "in the wild" online from Wyoming, the rest have been in groups specifically for Wyomingites. There's only 500k of us here, so it's to be expected, I suppose. There's more pronghorn/antelope here than people, just the way we like it.

Robb K, I'm glad to meet someone who knows where it is! Or knows where it is without making a "Wyoming doesn't exist" joke :P.
I'll have to do a bit more  poking around the forums! I saw the "Introduce Yourself" and figured I made an account, I should at least do that. I shouldn't be a complete lurker, as I'm usually wont to do :X

It'd be awesome to discuss the history, share stories and what-not. Wow, that's amazing! Working for and with the various tribes over in this part of the country. I hope it was a good experience for you. 

We have something more in common than knowing where Wyoming is.  I live in a village that has only 300 people and no store, and the one pub closed down, and we have a lot more sheep and cows than people.  There is a sheep ranch across the creek from my backyard.

Yes, I very much liked working for the US Native American and Canadian First Nation Tribes in The Midwest and Far West.  I helped start The Blackfeet National Bank.  And I got to do a lot of great back country skiing in untracked powder on my off days during winter and spring, in places few people go during that time of year.

I'm sure you will love what CB+ has to offer, and will be surprised at the volume of Western genre comic books both based on reasonably accurate historical research, and many based on a wild imagination of what The Old American and Canadian West was like. I look forward to reading your comments on books you read, and if your forebears lived in Wyoming back in the 1800s, any handed down stories your grandparents told you about those times.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2021, 12:42:04 AM »

We have something more in common than knowing where Wyoming is.  I live in a village that has only 300 people and no store, and the one pub closed down, and we have a lot more sheep and cows than people.  There is a sheep ranch across the creek from my backyard.

Seems to fit the mood.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bruEfFkgLDw
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2021, 06:37:29 AM »

Robb said,

Fair Dinkum?
I swear this is not a Monty Python routine, but....
My town has a sign outside that says Pop 1,500. But that sign has not been changed in 20 years and we have a few new Housing Estates, so we would have a few more by now. We are far enough out of Sydney that people buy a house here for a fraction of the city price and can drive or train to Sydney within one day for shopping or services.
Pubs? we have two at the same end of town right next to each other. Their names? Top Pub and Bottom Pub!
Next town is 10 KM down the road and has a sign with roughly the same number.
Sheep and Cattle?  We have a few, but the really big stations are further west.
I do have friends who have a goat farm.
This part of NSW was traditionally Wiradjuri land - pronounced War-id-ju-ry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiradjuri

The big industries here used to be Coal mines, Electric Power Stations and a Cement works.
Most of them now closed down or working below capacity.
But hey, we are not culturally isolated. 60 km west of here is Bathurst which is a University town and the home of the Bathurst 1000. If you have an interest in cars, the US has the Indy 500, We have the Bathurst 1000. Coming up soon if lockdown doesn't cancel it.
https://www.mount-panorama.com.au/

Cheers!   
« Last Edit: July 18, 2021, 06:43:42 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2021, 08:25:19 AM »

Top pub; bottom pub?  You're sure this isn't a Python routine? ;)
If it's of interest, and it probably isn't, although I can see The Ochils from my back window,  there is also the Grangemouth petrochemical facility nearby.  Sometimes when there is flaring, the sky looks like Quatermass and The Pit.  I can walk to or there is a bus to California. Moscow is about an hours drive.
I'm a few miles from our town centre and this part of Scotland is growing as people from Edinburgh move here as houses are a lot cheaper and there are train and motorway links to the capital, Glasgow, Stirling and England
What it must be like to live in such huge, sparsely populated places where Panther and Akorr live is difficult to imagine.
I've always lived in urban areas, never in the remote, wild Highlands, islands or the flow country. Visited, that's all.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2021, 09:58:10 AM »

Robb said,

Fair Dinkum?
I swear this is not a Monty Python routine, but....
My town has a sign outside that says Pop 1,500. But that sign has not been changed in 20 years and we have a few new Housing Estates, so we would have a few more by now. We are far enough out of Sydney that people buy a house here for a fraction of the city price and can drive or train to Sydney within one day for shopping or services.
Pubs? we have two at the same end of town right next to each other. Their names? Top Pub and Bottom Pub!
Next town is 10 KM down the road and has a sign with roughly the same number.
Sheep and Cattle?  We have a few, but the really big stations are further west.
I do have friends who have a goat farm.
This part of NSW was traditionally Wiradjuri land - pronounced War-id-ju-ry.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wiradjuri

The big industries here used to be Coal mines, Electric Power Stations and a Cement works.
Most of them now closed down or working below capacity.
But hey, we are not culturally isolated. 60 km west of here is Bathurst which is a University town and the home of the Bathurst 1000. If you have an interest in cars, the US has the Indy 500, We have the Bathurst 1000. Coming up soon if lockdown doesn't cancel it.
https://www.mount-panorama.com.au/

Cheers!   

Yours is very like our situation.  We used to be a farming village.  Now, about two thirds of the population are people who commute 3-4 minutes by train, 7 minutes by car , or 10-12 by bicycle to Heerhugowaard (about 50,000 people and all the shopping and pubs we need, or 40 min by train 55 min by car or an hour and a half by bicycle to Amsterdam or Haarlem.  It's a LOT less expensive to buy an old farmhouse where we are, but there are gentrified houses for the management/executive types that are now getting quite expensive (for the countryside) for those who want quiet, but don't mind commuting.  There are people from the farthest southeastern point in southern Limburg, on The Belgian and German borders that drive their cars every day all the way to Amsterdam, and people in the far eastern points of Groningen, next to The German border, who drive every day to work in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, or Den Haag.  But it is very quiet in our village, and people go elsewhere for excitement.  I can hear ducks quacking in the canals in early morning, and sheep bleating all day.  But, I like it.  I hope to return there within a few months. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2021, 04:24:01 PM »

The version of Billy The Kid I mentioned appeared in the British weekly, SUN which was a typical British comic of the time and this version of Billy bears no resemblance to the real one.  Yes it's a British take.  Many people get confused and use England for Britain and that really annoys the Scots as England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to give it its full title. ::)
British tv showed a lot of American cowboy series, and like me, thousands grew up watching and acting out stories from Cheyenne; Maverick; Bronco; Rawhide; Wagon Train; Boots and Saddles, Range Rider, Have Gun Will Travel - I loved that one; many more.
That's what we thought the west was like, even though it wasn't, because those shows were just entertainment.  In the same way, if you grew up watching British tv's historical shows, Robin Hood; Sword of Freedom; William Tell; Buccaneers; Sir Francis Drake; Sir Lancelot; Ivanhoe, you would have a seriously weird view of English and European history. 
It's all about entertainment and that's what we try to offer on CB+ ;D
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.