in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,813 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Comic and Netflix series)

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Comic and Netflix series)  (Read 2216 times)

gregjh

As an 80s kid I am excited by the upcoming Masters of the Universe: Revelation show. Comics have been issued to accompany the series but I won't read them until after I see the show.

My only concern is that some trailers have suggested heavily that the show will be focused more on Teela than the actual titular character, He-Man. If this is done well, it won't be such a major issue but Netflix being Netflix, they will feel duty bound to inject some of their progressive ideology into the show, as they do with every show. I only hope it's not enough to take away the enjoyment.

Skeletor is voiced by none other than Mark Hamill.

I believe we are about five days away from the show being released and other MTU projects are widely rumored to be in the works.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 07:10:36 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
Re: Masters of the Universe: Revelation (Comic and Netflix series)
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2021, 05:45:33 AM »

Two episodes in and I'm torn on MOTUR. The animation and drawings are just brilliant. Many of the classic heroes and villains are already back and in action. The opening sequences and important elements such as He-Man's transformation are just fantastic.

On the other hand, Netflix are gonna Netflix and episode 2 sees He-Man relegated to the sideline in his own show and Teela and her "very close friend" have already become the focus of the plot. Nothing wrong with that in itself or as an artistic choice, but the danger here is that Teela becomes a Mary Sue, defeating all her path with ease to make sure we all remember that women can do anything and they have no flaws, etc. If they can avoid going down that route, this could be a great, great revival, but can Netflix resist the temptation to preach?
ip icon Logged

Drahken

message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2021, 02:44:35 PM »

The comics are a prequel. I read the first issue already, then started to watch the show. So far the plot of the comic doesn't seem to tie in with the show at all, I guess we'll have to wait for more issues.

Based on the episode synopses, the first season seems to be all teela oriented. To be fair though, it isn't he-man's own show, as the title just includes "masters of the universe", not "he-man". I do wish they would be more forthright with their naming though, and call it something like "MotU - Teela's Journey" or w/e.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 03:57:28 AM »

Sadly my fears were confirmed. MOTU is a highly-politicized mess. To make things worse, this was actually forecast by one youtube channel long before the series was released. The channel quoted an insider saying the show would focus on Teela and He-Man would be a background character. This was heavily denied by the writer who also promised the show would be a sequel to the original series. Both his promises were utterly false and this, along with the other problems, has caused one of the strongest backlashes from fans I've ever seen.

At this stage I can only hope this has the same effect as the negative reaction to the Ghostbusters reboot, and sparks a return to the original canon.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2021, 07:54:38 AM »

Well, there is now a new Ghosters sequel and from the trailer it looks really good. Looking forward to it.

GHOSTBUSTERS: AFTERLIFE - Official Trailer (HD)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahZFCF--uRY

Cheers!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.