in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #253 - The Avenger & Captain Flash: 1950s Heroes

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #253 - The Avenger & Captain Flash: 1950s Heroes  (Read 1696 times)

FraBig

message icon
Reading Group #253 - The Avenger & Captain Flash: 1950s Heroes
« on: September 06, 2021, 10:00:56 AM »

Hi everyone! Here's the new Reading Group.
I want to thank Robb_K for giving me the opportunity to be the host of this Reading Group!

After reading the 1950s revival of Captain America (which I liked a lot), I became more interested in 1950s superhero comics. As many of you may know, this period wasn't the best for the superhero genre, because superheroes lost popularity.
However, there are some gems from this period, for example Simon & Kirby's Fighting American or the aforementioned Captain America comics (most of them with art by the excellent John Romita Sr.).

So, for this Reading Group, I chose 2 comics that introduce brand-new superheroes of the 1950s:

- The Avenger #1:
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=22872

- Captain Flash #1:
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=71402

These are the first issues of the characters' series, you can find complete compilations with all of their appearances on the site, if you are curious about them.

Enjoy and let me know your thoughts about these issues!
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #253 - The Avenger & Captain Flash: 1950s Heroes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 10:36:45 AM »

Frabig, Well chosen.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 12:16:45 AM »

The Avenger

The Fog Robbers - If you turn off your brain it's a fun little story, otherwise you start focusing on things like: Why not contact the police after discovering the professor? Why not take him to the hospital directly? Why break into the chemical company to check its records? What are the odds that a high school professor will design an atomic motor? (Well, maybe if it was designed with coconuts.)

Death Has Three Faces! - Never mind the heat above the lava which would probably be thousands of degrees that would cook the Avenger, it's only contact with the lava that is dangerous. Uh, huh.

The Red Hand Of Terror! - THAT was his plan to discover the correct scientist? A notebook with a wrong formula???

The Birth Of The Avenger! - Okay story. Kind of funny that he was inspired to wear a costume because of a Ghost Rider mask. Ghost Rider was a comic book character also published by ME, so the Avenger is one of  a number of comic book heroes inspired by a comic book hero.

Captain Flash

I believe we've read this one before.

The Beginning! - The dangers of radioactivity. Nah! It gives you superpowers instead! And the whole Bucky school of becoming a sidekick. "I found out you're a superhero!" "Well, then become my sidekick so I won't have to kill you myself to keep my secret!"  ;) That's right, turn my brain OFF before reading these stories.  ;)

The Iron Mask - The Riddler takes a break from Gotham City & Batman.  ;) Funny how easy it is in comics to build robots. In the real world it'd be a valuable skill, in comics any Tom, Dick, or Harry can do it.

The Claw - Brain off.  ;) A little girl that can beat up grown men? Riiiiiiight... Are we sure she can't fly? That flip and catching the underside of the wing seems highly unlikely. Not to mention stretching long enough to keep the bomb-bay doors closed. Jumping off the plane and ignoring the rules of inertia when she hits the water. Of course that wink at the reader just screams "Jerry Seigel" having some involvement in this story.

The Young Brave - Okay, pretty straight-forward story.

The Mirror Man - Way to keep your secret identity secret Ricky. I think Mirror Monster is a better name for this creature than Mirror Man. Did the writer intend for it to look human? Considering how common silicon is on Earth killing scientists for their silicon seems suspect.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2021, 04:03:51 PM »

I have a feeling I am going to enjoy these two comics. Will get stuck in ASAP.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2021, 02:44:55 AM »

These books are interesting because they form a sort of bridge between Golden Age-style heroes and the Silver Age heroes DC was about to launch.

The Avenger has plenty of Golden Age echoes. The Nazis are now Reds; they say "Da" instead of "Ja" and are named Igor rather than Hans, but they're basically interchangeable with the foes faced by every hero of the World War II era. The Avenger honors the GA tradition of bopping the baddies while punning and ultimately letting them get away so he can follow them into a trap at an amusement park (it was always an amusement park or a circus, wasn't it?) But he's a child of the Atomic Age as well. He has not only a jet with an atomic motor that never needs refuelling, but also a revolver with an Atomuzzle instead of an ordinary old barrel.

The stories are all right for what they are, nothing special. In places they show the trait that made DC science-fiction comics so annoying--taking an obscure fact (how Polynesians ride sea turtles, the formula for photosynthesis) and stretching it to support a silly premise. Best example: Dr Oberschaff has been fighting off a kidnap attempt when The Avenger busts in, dispatches the baddies, and urges the Doctor to flee. Yet during that hectic series of events, Oberschaff takes the time to read a notebook entry and to correct it (with the atompencil he always carries?) before completing his escape.

Writing credit for the last story is given to Paul S. Newman, who kept records of everything he wrote. I can identify many of his stories by certain stylistic quirks. This one isn't typical of him, especially given the many wordy balloons. Over at Dell/Western/Gold Key Newman became the master of twelve-word dialogue.

I reluctantly admit the artwork is rather good. I say "reluctantly" because I always disliked Dick Ayers' pencilling for Marvel. His stiff, oddly proportioned figures turned me off. But I must say his art here is the most dynamic, detailed work I've seen him do. If he'd drawn Torch and Thing like this I might have changed my tune way back when. That said, he still draws grotesque faces, and his elongated, rectangular profile heads (see our page 12, last panel) offer George Wunder a serious challenge for the mantle of Weird Heads Wizard. By the way, I feel quite sure Ayers didn't ink this. Ernie Bache, uncredited, inked a lot of Ayers' work at this time, and I wonder if he inked these Avenger stories.

One last note. The balloons. Ayers lettered these stories, as he often did. I don't know what prompted him to draw those squiggly balloon outlines. Everything looks like it's supposed to be a thought balloon. You have to check the pointer to be sure.

Captain Flash has such a strong GA / Weisinger Batman-Superman vibe that I found myself wondering if one of the writers of those stories also wrote these. Could Jerry Siegel have possibly been involved? Many of his schticks are here. Classical references. Criminal leaves puzzles for hero to solve. Scenes which are set up by the caption of one panel and resolved in following one, or, often, in that same panel. Our page 13 offers examples. And I almost forgot. Scientific gobbledygook beside which Joe Gill looks like a Ph.D. "The cervical thoracic trunk and extremities are saturated with ten trillion ergs of radiation!" "My muscular pressure has tripled in intensity!"

Then there's that damned boy sidekick. Hadn't they gone out of style yet? I'm not sure what Ricky brings to the team. His greatest power seems to be the ability to stay home while Captain Flash is out doing his thing. Furthermore, like so many GA sidekicks, his costumed identity name is the same as his everyday name. I'll bet the password on Ricky's Atom Plant account is "password."

I like Tomboy as a character idea--a butt-kicking girl who has the respect of cops and crooks alike--but the story is a mess. The tired old trope of "[Hero/ine's] did great stuff! " "Gee, I wish I could be like [Hero/ine]." "Ha ha, imagine [hero/ine's civilian name] being like [Hero/ine]!" is pushed to the limit by the family relationships. Janie lives with her policeman father and Tomboy-admiring brother. Whenever word of a crime arrives Janie runs and hides ("Isn't that just like a girl?"). Moments later Tomboy appears at the very spot Janie had just heard about. Even The Claw has it figured out. "I found that any word about crime to Lt. Jackson always bring (sic) you on the run." Then comes the last-panel wink at the reader. It's 1940 all over again.

I'm deliberately overlooking the story's action finale because SuperScrounge has already addressed that. As for the art, this isn't Mort Meskin's strongest work, but even average Meskin is doggone good. Wish he would have worked on that wink. It's the only thing that Edvard Moritz did better when he took over the series.

Mike Sekowsky's art on this comic brings forth another re-evaluation on my part. When I was a middle-school comic reader I hated Mike Sekowsky. It was all because of The Justice League of America. All the sleek characters I admired when drawn by Carmine Infantino or Gil Kane looked pudgy and middle-aged. A few years later I began seeing his non-superhero work for the likes of Standard and Dell. When still later I was given the assignment of inking some of his Hanna-Barbera pencils I finally came to appreciate how good the guy was. In the end I decided that, like Don Heck, Sekowsky was great but he just wasn't cut out for superheroes. Now I look at Captain Flash and I see he really could draw convincing superheroes.

Mulling it over, I think I know what the problem was with JLA. Sekowsky had a habit of drawing somewhat stubby figures Their shoulders. ribcages, abdomen, and waist were about the same width. This is more how ordinary people look than superheroes. Typically superheroes have wide shoulders and massive ribcages, with the abdomen tapering quickly to a wasp waist. Dick Ayers drew a textbook example in The Avenger (see our page 11 splash panel.) Along with a narrow chest Sekowsky also didn't detail abdominal anatomy. No six-packs here. Instead he just hatched in a few angled strokes across the gut which inker Bernard Sachs followed. As a result the Justice Leaguers (the men anyway) looked paunchy.

But lookie here! Captain Flash has a genuine superhero body, with all the requisite muscles and even a touch of a taper. Could all that have been added by the inker? Maybe, but everything else--hands, faces, drapery--is classic Sekowsky so I suspect it was Mike's idea. Maybe he just got tired. Sekowsky wasn't above cutting corners, and his "street clothes" stuff always seemed to look better than his hero work. Whatever the case, in this case at least I admit that Mike Sekowsky can in fact draw superheroes.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2021, 07:36:10 AM »

crashryan said,
When I was a middle-school comic reader I hated Mike Sekowsky. It was all because of The Justice League of America. All the sleek characters I admired when drawn by Carmine Infantino or Gil Kane looked pudgy and middle-aged.   

I had the same problem and attitude.
Of those three, Gil Kane stood out. I wasn't a fan of Infantino's angular figures either.
If you were simultaneously reading Dell/Gold Key stuff - Dan Speigle and Russ Manning and Alberto Giolitti - to name three - and Kirby, Ditko and Don Heck at Marvel, you were inevitably disappointed by the Justice league.
But I believe DC's inking policies were the real culprit, somehow every single DC comic had a blandness and dullness about the art work, they all were finished off in the same way. Detail and energy were airbrushed out.
The best Sekowsky artwork for DC was the revolutionary run he did on Wonder Woman, when he modernized and turned her into a clone of Diana Rigg. Predictably some of the fans loved it, but the powers that be hated it.
Sekowsky was glad to get off the Justice League, he said he didn't envy Dick Dillin who took over the book, 'because 'keeping track of all those costumes, I nearly lost my mind.'  Or words to that effect.           
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2021, 05:06:41 AM »

I expected to enjoy these and I wasn't disappointed!

Avenger has more than a touch of the Bruce Wayne vibe about him. Secret tunnels that lead to and from his secret base, guarded by advanced technology all watched over by a superhero who works with the manner of a detective and keeps a belt with gadgets that get him out of trouble, including one that calls a private jet. It all sounds very familiar.

That's not a bad thing though because although this tale was probably not original even for its time, it's done well. The drawings are good and though most of the usual cliches and plot tropes are thrown in, they are entertaining and written well enough to keep us interested. I also like the plot being split into parts, so it has enough space to develop.

One thing I want to ask the more knowledgeable members of the forum: When we see slightly dulled or bland colors in comics such as this, is/was it a) the style of time? b) limitations of printing technology of the time? or c) natural fading over time?

Captain Flash was also fun. Similar to Avenger in that there is nothing much original here: boy sidekick (they obviously weren't so cynical back then) very much in the vein of Robin, cheesy back story and comical levels of exposition and explanation but all done and drawn well enough to be fun. I particularly liked the second story when he goes up against mythological enemies. Tomboy is one of the few heroes I think could be successfully rebooted today, and that villain Claw reminds me of another highly notorious comic book villain...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2021, 05:09:09 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2021, 09:34:37 AM »

When we see slightly dulled or bland colors in comics such as this, is/was it a) the style of time? b) limitations of printing technology of the time? or c) natural fading over time?

The main reason some of the colors in The Avenger look washed out is that the person who scanned the book wanted the white areas of the pages to be white rather than the yellow-brown newsprint color of the printed comic. Pushing brightness and fiddling with contrast produced a white page but in the process burned out pale colors like light blues, light yellows, and some skin tones.

How (even whether) to post-process comic scans has been a contentious subject since scanning began. Is the aim to replicate the physical copy as closely as possible, including browned pages and printing defects? Or is it the Masterpiece Edition approach, cleaning and correcting to make the comic look as if it were newly-printed on good paper? Each approach has its trade-offs and scanners and editors must decide where on the spectrum they will land. In the end the scanner's personal preference plays the major part. Which is why, I suppose, there have been so many arguments over the "best" way to present comic scans.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 03:08:56 AM »

I've already commented on The Avenger #1, but I was re-reading it today and noticed something that had sailed right past me the first time through. Some of us find it odd that The Avenger, who fights the Reds, should wear a red costume. Well, his costume isn't red! I direct your attention to our page 5, panel 2. The caption reads "In a side closet of that laboratory...hangs a number of black garments, a strange leather belt and a hooded helmet."

Later, in the origin story, captions refer to The Avenger as a "strange and mysterious figure of the night" (page 27, panel 4), a "black shadow" and a "dark figure" (page 28, panels 2 and 3). These descriptions don't necessarily prove anything taken by themselves. But on page 29, panel 1, the caption states "Like a human battering ram, the dark clad scientist leaves his feet in a bone-wrenching body block." Finally, on the last page The Avenger is once again "a dark figure."

The Avenger's costume was supposed to be black!

In subsequent issues the costume's color is never again mentioned. I note though that Bob Powell doesn't put in the heavy shadows which, in issue one, Dick Ayers may have been intended to work with a dark blue color to give the impression of a black costume. Of course it's also possible that Powell simply didn't like the heavy shadows and left them out.

So The Avenger was supposed to have been a creature of the night like that guy...what was his name?...Bat somebody or another?

ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 04:58:18 AM »

A quick and dirty re-coloring to show how the scriptwriter might have imagined The Avenger would look. By the way, Dick Ayers had misspelled "becomes" as "becames." I fixed that.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 06:37:54 AM »

Good catch, Ryan! So the obvious question is: how did this happen?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »

No idea how it could have happened but there is another example with The Phantom, although in this case it is a different country thing.  We are all familiar with that amazing costume - I'd be concerned if you weren't - but in Spanish and French reprints it is red but in  later Spanish versions, and nothing to do with different formats, the costume reverts to purple. Nor is it simply a cover colouring difference as when there are interior colour pages, the costume is red.  Same in Italian reprints, although in more recent times the purple is back. German Bastei reprints use the purple but on some Scandinavian titles, Fantomet for instance, the cover version is blue.  The British Miller run showed the traditional purple costume on covers.
As I don't see colours well, I asked my wife to have a look and tell me what colours were used.
Nothing to do with The Avenger but someone might find it interesting ;D
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 11:27:50 AM »

Thank you all guys for your opinions!
And good catch Ryan! Miscoloured characters often happened in comics, but I still prefer the red look of the Avenger. There's something ironic in a red character that fights Reds ;D

I'm Italian and I can confirm Paw's info, and I can even provide a photographic evidence, given that I actually have an Italian Phantom comic from 1967 ;)

In the cover, apart from Tower Comics' Lightning (from the T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents), you can see a red Phantom in the upper left corner. "L'Uomo Mascherato" (The Masked Man) is how the Phantom's name was "translated" in Italy.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 04:39:24 PM »

Thanks FraBig.  I haven't seen that cover and I didn't realise that Tower heroes were reprinted in L'Uomo Mascherato.  I have a selection of the title and selections of the French Fantome; Spanish El Hombre Enmascarado; German Phantom; Scandinavian Fantomen/Fantomet/Mustanaamio and 3 of the rare as hens teeth Miller Phantom.
In the late '70's there was a pocket library Italian Phantom title, called, Phantom Selezione.  The issue I have also contains Cisco Kid and Rip Kirby. The Phantom is in colour with the red costume. Whereas in 2009, Euro Editoriale published a short (5 issue?) run of Phantom, L'uomo Mascherato, reprinting Scandinavian Phantom tales.  A good looking comicbook.
And yes, even after having seen the dark costume version of the Avenger, I am used to and prefer the red. ;D (wasn't the Dark Avenger a one off back up in an Atlas - not the Marvel one - title)?
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 08:51:35 PM »

FraBig, as a genuine Italian perhaps you can confirm or deny something I read a very long time ago. The author claimed that when The Phantom was imported into Italy in the 1930s, his costume color was changed because purple was a color associated with death and funerals, and the publisher wanted to avoid the unpleasant connection. Is there any truth to that? By the way, I also remember an American fan historian who offered evidence that Lee Falk intended the costume to be grey.
ip icon Logged

FraBig

message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2021, 10:43:11 AM »

Actually, Ryan, I dont really know that.
I mean, I know that the colour purple (at least here in Italy) is associated with bad luck in the entertainment field (theatre actors, musicians, etc. avoid to wear it) and it's associated with Lent and other sacred periods for the Catholic Church. But overall, I don't think these were the reasons for the change of colours. Batman, for example, even if he didn't wear purple, was recoloured red in Italian 1960s publications. I think maybe the colour red was supposed to be more eye-catching for children. I did some research and I couldn't find (in Italian sites) the reason for this change of colour.
But I did know Lee Falk wanted the character to be gray, but they made him purple instead.

I would really like to read some Phantom comics, but here in Italy recent publications are different to find brand-new. I also know DC published some Phantom comics in the 80s, are they good?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2021, 11:24:24 AM »

I might be able to help you with that.  I'll send you a pm later today.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2021, 12:09:24 PM »

The Avenger #1

Magazine Enterprises was a small imprint which didn't last long but they made a significant contribution to comic book history, They published The Avenger, Cave Girl, Funnyman, Thund'a, Undercover Girl and Ghost Rider. So they get an A for trying.   
So, a Superhero in 1955, against the tide. And so, he has to fight 'them commies.'
I'm not a fan of Dick Ayers' art. If I showed that top panel on page one to any of my lecturers when I was gaining a degree in Visual Art, they would have said, 'this man learns to study anatomy.' His anatomy and particularly his faces were always awkward, to put it mildly.
I'm guessing he was a reliable journeyman, did the work assigned him and got it in on time. And he could lay out a story well.
As far as the costume goes, as Crash has pointed out, a panel -top of page 4 - referring to the costume -reads -'......   a number of black garments ......' - !
First story is not an origin story, its an introduction - the characterr already exists. To mine he is set up like a one-man Doc Savage, with wealth, a secret lair, a laboratory and a plane.
That and the fact that he cracks wise while he is fighting bad guys, makes we wonder what impression this book made on Stan and Jack [ FF and Spiderman]
First two stories are bland and forgettable.
Then we get to the origin story.
And for this story, a stealth mission, a black costume makes sense, a red one does not.
And here is another element echoed in Marvel comics. Hank Pym became Antman to avenge the death of his first wife behind communist lines and the Berlin Wall. 
So, significant ideas, second-rate art and bad timing in publishing the character. Might have lasted longer with a black costume.
Oh, and was that a utility belt?
Captain Flash# 1
Cover is lousily drawn, [if Sekowsky penciled it, somebody else finished it] but did Kubrick see this and use it in 'Dr. Strangelove? Or is that just Serendipity?
Mike Sekowsky at his best. I think there was an unidentified inker involved who brought out the best in his penciling. 
The origin is basically the origin of Captain America, but he gets powers by accident and not on purpose and   with the origin of Bucky thrown in. Lousy costume tho.
Second story is OK but nothing to write home about.
Tomboy. I just enjoy this, a female hero in the 50s' and a young girl at that! Just a fun story. cliched, but that doesn't detract from anything here. Meskin uses blacks to good purpose here, look at that skirt, which is just pure black! Also the Villain's black hat and cape, and the scenes of the plane on fire.   And Tomboy is female but not sexualized by the art, she is clearly pre-adolescent. 
Third story, and a question. Why is a character who looks like a cross between a Crocodile and an Octopus, named MirrorMan. Yes, I know he can go through mirrors, but MirrrorMan?
Crash Ryan wrote'
Captain Flash has such a strong GA / Weisinger Batman-Superman vibe that I found myself wondering if one of the writers of those stories also wrote these. Could Jerry Siegel have possibly been involved?   

I concur.  I think it highly likely that Siegel was heavily involved with Tomboy. Any other artist and it would have been groan-inducing.  And I find myself wondering if 'Captain Flash' didn't serve for Sekowsky as a tryout book which later got him the JLA?

Thanks Frabig!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2021, 01:09:39 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2021, 05:28:52 PM »

Who?s Who says George Klein inked Mike Sekowsky?s Captain Flash.

http://www.bailsprojects.com/whoswho.aspx?mode=AtoZsearch&id=KLEIN%2c+GEORGE

George Klein also inked a lot of Mike Sekowsky?s work for Timely.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 12:29:47 AM »

The Avenger #1
This series is a carbon copy of WWII Era superhero stories with an anti- warlike dictatorship private citizen taking it upon himself to fight evil wrong-doing, only set during The 1950s Cold War against The Russian Communists.  The book is divided into 3 short episodes, which, to me, though related, should be longer, to provide more plot development, detailed setting, and character development.  The stories have interesting premises, action, suspense, and intrigue.  But, are too sketchy due to the shortage of pages.  The artwork is decent, but nothing special.  To my taste, this book is also too political and too much of a propaganda tool for teaching the value of allegiance to the government to the US children who would read it.  All in all, it was mildly entertaining, but not my cup of tea.

The Fog Robbers
A high school teacher working on making an air-blackening chemical fog is weird enough.  But what are the odds that foreign agents would find out he was working on that before he reveals his discovery to The American civil (police) or military authorities?  Are they watching ALL the high school chemistry teachers in USA???

Death Has Three Faces
This episode is way too ridiculous for my taste, unless it happens to be played for comedy, which, for me, would also require wild, comedic-looking drawn figures, rather than realistic style.  A man falls into the caldera of a volcano and is not burned to a crisp by the several thousand degree heat. 

Riding a sea turtle several miles and directing it to an island where he wants to go, is already quite far-fetched.  But taking a land tortoise, with legs and feet, rather than flippers, is way too ridiculous for my taste, and unnecessary for getting that effect.

The Red Hand of Terror
I think this story, taking place in Berlin, should have had more pages to show more of the city, and should have shown several bombed-out areas, and skeletons of buildings, as many were still around from 1945 all the way into the mid 1950s.  The story of The Avenger rescuing a scientist from his Russian captors, and delivering him safely to USA, and keeping his valuable discoveries away from the enemys hands, and delivering them to the US military, has already been used earlier in this book.

The Birth of The Avenger
This is somewhat of an origin story of The Avenger.  As it is very short, and doesn't have all that much information in it, I'm guessing that there might have been a more official, longer, main origin story, IF the series was around for a decent number of years.  But knowing that Magazine Enterprises wasn't operating very long, as comic book publishers go, maybe this was the ONLY origin story?

The Avenger's origin is mildly interesting; and partly for that reason, and its lack of ridiculous story elements, this story was more interesting to me than the first three.

Its shortness, and the often sparse backgrounds in most panels wastes the possibility of giving the setting, post WWII Vienna, the meeting place of Communist and Western spies and special agents, and opportunistic profiteers, defeat the great possibility for giving this story the feeling of suspense and intrigue of the 1950s film, The Third Man.  As a writer and artist, I'd have wanted to use the full 30 pages of a 36-page comic book, to tell such a story in a lot more detail, and really make the reader feel like he or she is living the storys events, right there with the main characters.

I think the author should have told the reader that The Avenger dared the dangers of going into The Red-held sector of Vienna, rather than implying that ALL of Vienna was in the hands of The Communists.  That city was  divided between the Russian, British, French, and US Zones, just as Berlin was.

Captain Flash #1
The Beginning
I like the first book named for the lead character having his origin story as the first, and introduction story (regardless of whether or not that character was previously introduced in a mixed-feature anthology series).
This appears to be a clone of Batman and Robin.  Same old story of the superhero being soaked with atomic rays in an accident, and becoming super strong (and, in THIS case, invincible - which I really detest!).  So we always know who will win in the end, and that nothing can hurt him.  I wonder if a single element is later found to be dangerous to him, as Kryptonite is to Superman?  Otherwise, we NEVER get the suspense of worrying about his safety and well-being.

The Iron Mask
Los Palmos?????  Palm tree is a feminine noun in Spanish.  These New York writers must never have gone to Spanish Harlem!  ;D  This story has a clever plot line, that the villain has used robots to mimic the tribulations experienced by Odysseus and his crew during their adventurous travels on their return to Greece from Ilium in Homer's Odyssey.  But this story has too little space, so it is way too choppy, and unsatisfying, because it could have been so much better with development of the Greek and Italian islands' settings, and more action scenes of conflict between Captain Flash and the robots, and some character development showing some motivations of The Mask, and some more space to include more despicable deeds by the latter, to build up the danger of his power to the people of Atom City (an incredibly bad choice of a name for the city where The Hero resides, and performs his magnanimous deeds to help its population).  I understand the need to use a made up city name.  But that choice is ridiculous, and the camp, comedic value of the gag is lost after the first page one reads it.  All in all, it's too short a story to introduce such a promising villain.  We can't feel or appreciate the danger he is to the people and their way of life.  I hope he is developed a lot more in subsequent stories (episodes).

Tomboy
A pre-teen, or early teenaged girl as a superhero!  Personally, I think it's a lousy idea, and it reeks of an early form of political correctness, with a vain effort to try to attract some young female readers added on.  And, of course, the secret superhero's father is the Chief of Police, or, at least a high-ranking officer.  Again, this story suffers from being too short.  I'm assuming that The Claw escaped his almost certain death in the plane crash, to show up again in another episode.  I hope his character gets developed more, because it has some nice possibilities (of which we saw NONE).  What a waste!

The Young Brave (2-Page Text Story)
This is the best story I've read in both books, so far.  It is realistic, and could really have happened some 200+ years ago. And, other than the made-up tribal names (which probably were a necessity to avoid any complaints from existing tribes), there were no inaccuracies related to history, geography or the way The real World works, which are so often found in comic book stories.  And the story had suspense and held my interest to the end.  It is one of the best filler text stories I've ever read in a comic book. 

The Mirrorman
Having the mirror monster kill a human to drain the silicon from his body is absurd, given that there is an extremely low level of silicon in the average human body(possibly less than 1000th of a percent of ones total mass, and the likelihood that almost all, if not all that exists there is only a contaminant, rather than a material essential for life, AND the fact that 90 percent of The Earth's crust is composed of silicate compounds.  The monster would be MUCH, MUCH better off to chew rocks, than try to suck ALL the microscopic tiny dose of silicon from humans, one at a time.   ???  The human body is made up mostly of oxygen (65%), with Carbon a distant 2nd (18%), and nitrogen again a distant 3rd(3%).  Everything else is in minute quantities (including Calcium in the bones and teeth-(1%)).  And there are FAR, FAR, more convenient sources of those 4 gasses and minerals than human's bodies.  This makes absolutely no sense at all!   ::)  Trying to kill people by sucking the trace quantities of silicon (a bodys contaminant) is a strange strategy.  If the crocodilian-looking monster wants to kill scientists, he could just bite their heads off.  And, of course, this story has the oft-used, ridiculous premise that a being from a mirror dimension can enter it from our Earthly dimension through one mirror and come back into our dimension through ANY other mirror in our dimension! ::)  Captain Flash fends off Mirrorman (the monster) sending him back into his mirror dimension, and saves the police chief (lieutenant), and we hear the verbal threat from the monster that the 2 of them will see each other again.  Again, this story has too few pages to start developing the villain as a horrible threat, and as a mystery that can't wait to be solved.  It is really a lot tougher to get an emotional response from the reader actually living in the story when the stories have just a handful of pages.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:04:16 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.