in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

My Dad worked at Charlton in the early 50's

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: My Dad worked at Charlton in the early 50's  (Read 3619 times)

amazing4

message icon
My Dad worked at Charlton in the early 50's
« on: May 20, 2010, 04:46:03 PM »

Hello All-
I know NOTHING about comic books, but recently found out my father worked as a penciler and inker at Charlton? comics in the early fifties with a man named Dick Giordano...My fathers name was Dennis Laugen and his best friend was Lou Morales. They all worked there at that time. My father died in 1974 and none of us kids had any idea he had done comic art. Do you guys know anything about Charlton? I'm hearing it was pretty B grade stuff, but it's very cool to find out about Dad's work 60 years later. Thanks for any info... - Geoff
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Re: My Dad worked at Charlton in the early 50's
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 05:06:10 PM »

Start with the Who's Who of American Comics, Geoff.
Go to http://www.bailsprojects.com and put your father's name in to the search field. Then look in the download section of THIS site (goldenagecomics.co.uk) under Charlton for the titles listed in the Who's Who. I bet you'll find some. Dick Giordano just died a couple of months ago. I'll bet he could have given you some stories...

C'est la vie. (or la mort, I suppose).

Good luck.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 05:14:03 PM »

ps. I know that there are some 1952 Crime & Justice comics, because JontheScanner scanned some of my issues, but I don't recall your dad's name ever being listed on a story. Lots of Lou Morales, though.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Drusilla lives!

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 08:07:54 PM »

... Do you guys know anything about Charlton? I'm hearing it was pretty B grade stuff...

Not necessarily, I for one thought that as well, but I've come to appreciate them more and more.  As for some of your father's work... I did a quick search of the GCD and found that he did this cover to "Cowboy Western Comics" #37 (from February-March 1952), there were a few other entries as well.

Good luck in your search!  :)
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 08:11:06 PM by Drusilla lives! »
ip icon Logged

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:13:51 PM »

Thanks guys...very nice of you to reply so quickly. I already like this group... JVJ, where is the download section on this site? I'm probably staring at it, but don't see it ???...
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 10:05:40 PM »

Thanks guys...very nice of you to reply so quickly. I already like this group... JVJ, where is the download section on this site? I'm probably staring at it, but don't see it ???...

http://goldenagecomics.co.uk/

Use the same login.

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 10:07:06 PM »

Geoff you are in the forum go to the main site http://goldenagecomics.co.uk and you are set up to download. We have Hot Rods 10 in the Charlton section with a story signed by your dad as inker and Lou on pencils. Nice looking story. One story signed Lou and your dad the next just by Lou. Usual assumption is that Lou inked his own story in the second one. Looks like he inked himself heavier than you dad did to my untrained eyes.  
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 11:00:44 PM »

You guys rock..seriously.
ip icon Logged

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 11:04:46 PM »

OOOPS....tried to download Hot Rods and Racing Cars #10 and got a red error mssg saying I wasn't allowed to be there.. ???
Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 11:09:51 PM »

OOOPS....tried to download Hot Rods and Racing Cars #10 and got a red error mssg saying I wasn't allowed to be there.. ???
Any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

Were you sign in? Even I forget sometimes.  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »

Yes sir...I checked before trying the download..here is the mssg I got on all the books I tried.

Error: Sorry but you do not have permission to view this page. Contact the admin if you think you should have access to this page.. If you believe this to be in error, please quote the above error and report this to the admin
ip icon Logged

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 11:47:43 PM »

Got it!! Thanks guys.
ip icon Logged

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 11:50:27 PM »

Next DUMB question..how do I read a cbr file?
ip icon Logged

JonTheScanner

message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 12:02:29 AM »

Next DUMB question..how do I read a cbr file?

a .cbr file is just a renamed .rar file.  If you have a decompressing program like winrar or pkunzip you can decompress it to the individual jpg files and open them in any viewing program. 

Or you can get a program like Comic-book reader

More info here

http://www.serjtech.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=4
ip icon Logged

amazing4

message icon
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:03:53 AM »

Got it...thanks again!
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.