in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Interesting Retro Fighter

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Interesting Retro Fighter  (Read 1820 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
Interesting Retro Fighter
« on: February 02, 2022, 12:41:02 AM »

Discussions on unusual aircraft designs that pop up now and then in WW2 and earlier comics, some being from the artists imaginations rather than real life, got me thinking of possible non standard aircraft soldiers of fortune might use.

Here is a real peach, twice the climb rate of a Spitfire for one thing, and able in the right hands to out maneuver almost anything in the sky in its very short service life.

The CW21 Demon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l1ucm5VtEc&t=364s

The Japanese were able to steamroller over the inexperianced Dutch pilots due to shear numbers, but not without a fight.

Quite a few of these planes simply disappeared still in their crates. Perfect for a mercenary airforce to pick up on the black market.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: Interesting Retro Fighter
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2022, 02:25:20 AM »

How about the Blackhawk's F5F-1 Skyrockets? Not very good, but they sure looked SO tough! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2022, 10:49:37 AM »

Actually the Skyrocket had a lot going for it, the high rate of climb being its best feature, and with a top speed of 383 MPH it was faster than most of its competition, especially in the Pacific .
Like all Gruman products it was tough as nails, intended for carrier landings. It had good STOL characteristics, needed for rough impromptu airfields in primitive conditions.  Its folding wings would make it easier to hide in clandestine operations.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2022, 06:20:00 AM »

I agree with everything you said, Captain! I read it could also outperform a Corsair and Spitfire in speed. I think it was just such a radical design that it brought with it a whole set of production issues. Since the Navy needed fighters immediately, of course they decided to build more Wildcats instead. Could you imagine the look on a Japanese pilot's face when facing one of these for the first time? Oh, what might have been...   Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2022, 07:28:11 AM »

Heres a truly insane design from WW1.
Not exactly in the theme of the other entries, but astoundingly retro, almost steampunk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZoRCnOytOw

Built to loiter at high altitude for 18 hours at a shift. It would cruise at a mere 35 MPH.
It carried a 2,000 lb fuel load and bristled with machine guns and the main gun was a 37mm recoiless rifle. This bememoth was powered by only two 100 HP motors. Quite a feat of engineering.
The fuselage was so spacious that they had intended to install a sofa so some of the crew could relax in comfort till needed.
The intended mission was to intercept Zepplins.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 09:07:15 AM »

Good lord! That thing actually flew! Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 07:37:19 PM »

Probably the most photogenic of late 1920's biplane fighters, the P6E Hawk
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curtiss_P-6_Hawk

I once had a model of this beautiful aircraft which I painted in the "Snow Owl " pattern.
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2022, 07:15:14 AM »

Was that the scheme with the black and white patterns on the nose and wheel cowlings? The Hawk was, indeed, a beautiful aircraft. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2022, 07:22:09 AM »

Was that the scheme with the black and white patterns on the nose and wheel cowlings? The Hawk was, indeed, a beautiful aircraft. Cheers, Bowers

Not sure of the proper term for the landing gear wheel covering but I've often seen them called "Spats" like the coverings of dress shoes of the day used to avoid soiling the shoes with mud or horse droppings.

Another favorite and a beautiful biplane is the Hawker Fury.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2022, 09:14:55 AM »

Uncle Scrooge wears Spats on his feet. No shoes!
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 12:04:46 AM »

Not sure of the proper term for the landing gear wheel covering

"Wheel pants." That's what I'd always heard them called. I googled the term to double check and fell down a rabbit hole of merchants of aftermarket and vintage wheel pants for older private planes...none for the P-6 though.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 04:09:19 AM »

Not sure of the proper term for the landing gear wheel covering

"Wheel pants." That's what I'd always heard them called. I googled the term to double check and fell down a rabbit hole of merchants of aftermarket and vintage wheel pants for older private planes...none for the P-6 though.

According to Wikipedia,
Wheels on fixed gear aircraft
Wheel fairings are often called "wheel pants", "speed fairings" in North America or "wheel spats" or "trousers", in the United Kingdom, the latter enclosing both the wheel and landing gear leg.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_fairing

So for an American aircraft "pants" is most likely the correct term.
Spats that reach to the knee are called Gaiters, so that could have been the term if pants had not already been established.

I have seen a few trainers with wheel and landing gear legs covered by what resembled bell bottom or bootleg    trousers. With just the bottom few inches of the tires showing.
One of these had a retracting mechanism to draw the final few inches of tire up out of the airstream. For rough field landing they could extend the wheel several more inches.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.