in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #265 Senorita Rio Achive 1

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #265 Senorita Rio Achive 1  (Read 1524 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #265 Senorita Rio Achive 1
« on: February 21, 2022, 01:41:17 AM »

I haven't heard from Robb over the last week, so here's the choice for this fortnight.

Senorita Rio Achive 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=73370

Pick an individual story to comment on, or the whole archive or the character or the writers and artists, or all of the above.

Enjoy!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #265 Senorita Rio Achive 1
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 05:21:01 AM »

I haven't heard from Robb over the last week, so here's the choice for this fortnight.

Senorita Rio Achive 1
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=73370

Pick an individual story to comment on, or the whole archive or the character or the writers and artists, or all of the above.

Enjoy!   

Sorry.  I DID send you an e-mail saying that I will still be out of commission.  And I didn't get a failed sending message.  In any case, I have much with which to deal over the next few months, so I hope you can find other member posters to sub for me.  I DO like your choice of "Se?orita Rio", as I am interested in espionage during WWII, as well as activities of German agents in Latin America.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2022, 09:37:04 AM »

I also like Golden age strong female noir characters.

Cheers!
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2022, 05:04:58 AM »

Senorita Rio Archive

First story - "Into gay and song-loving Rio" Oh my god! The woke have injected their identity politics into the past!!! 8-o ;-) Sorry, it was too silly for me to resist.

Interesting opening. Rushed unfortunately. I mean the coincidence of Rio looking just like the Countess is ignored past the convenience as a plot device. The Countess had no problem killing the club manager, but she just ties up and leaves Rio alive? Why? Maybe if there had been a line about leaving Rio alive to learn who her contacts are or something it would have worked better.

Wow! Didn't even realize this was drawn by Nick Cardy. I'm used to his work from the '60s and '70s and didn't recognize it. Although I did notice some Eisner-esque comic art touches.

Fight Comics #20 cover - Could that cover be any busier? Maybe add an alligator about to bite the gal? Have a dinosaur visible out the window? A flying saucer in the sky? ;-)

Second story - Hmmm... the first story was written by Joe Hawkins, but this one is by Morgan Hawkins. Actual people or did someone forget the house name they were using?

Third story - While technically mentioned in the first story, the use of her real name of Rita Farrar reminded me of the Doom Patrol's Rita Farr (Elasti-Girl). I wonder if Arnold Drake read these stories and when he named his character (who was also an actress, as well) his subconscious partially remembered Rio's real name?

Fourth story - I liked the idea that the American plan to stop the bad guys messed up the locals plans to stop the bad guys. I don't think the writer did enough with it, but it was interesting that the writer acknowledged that this happens.

Fifth story - "No woman can be priestess" Uhhh... by definition aren't all priestesses women? Now if the word had been priest it would make sense.

An exciting story of the Ghost and his sidekick, Senorita Rio... wait a minute...

Sixth story - "The famous U.S. secret agent" Famous and secret, two words that do not belong together. ;-)

Seventh story - "They'll never find me in this dense jungle!" Yes, she'll blend in with all natives, plants and animals wearing bright, red dresses. ;-) Does she ever wear any other color dress? You'd think Nazi spies would be on the lookout for a black-haired woman in a red dress. Realistically she'd wear a variety of outfits and even change her hairstyle, but no, in comics the red dress is her 'uniform'.

Eighth story - Okayyyyy... so time is of the essence, it would take hours to fix the radio, so Rio & De Asana row a boat to get there in time instead of the Brazilian warship sailing there which would be faster?

Ninth story - A brown skirt instead of red??? Who is this imposter? ;-) Funny that Hilda found Rio a red dress to wear.

Eleventh story - Never saw vaudville spelt 'vodvil' before.

Twelfth story - A green dress? 8-o Clearly the colorist made a mistake. ;-)

Fight Comics #31 cover - Why is so much blood gushing out of the Japanese soldier's neck? We should only see it squirting out of the veins, not the whole interior. Human beings are not bags of skin filled with blood.

Thirteenth story - Rio knows the handkerchief is Marvo's, but the artist never drew Marvo with a handkerchief. Not that white handkerchiefs are rare anyway.

Fourteenth story - "Sacre diablo!?" Doesn't that mean sacred devil?

Fifteenth story - "Caramba! She fights like a devil! Help!" What a wimp. Rio is just sitting there on her horse. ;-)

Eighteenth story - She's on vacation... that explains the yellow dress, she's on vacation. ;-)

Fight #37 cover - Senorita Rio wearing the yellow flowered dress she wore last issue?

Nineteenth story - Oooh, that's a nicely designed dress on the splash page (no joke this time). Opening caption has a mistake. It claims Senorita Rio was a Hollywood sensation. No, it was Rita Farrar, Senorita Rio is the name she started using after faking her death.

Twentieth story - "Introducing Susy" I have a bad feeling about this... okay, not as bad as I feared, but it seems odd to give Rio a sidekick after all this time. (Although, as it turns out, she never appears again.)

The Case of the Guilty Clock! - Seems like a different writer from previous stories. Rio talks to herself a lot more than previous stories.

Fight Comics #40 cover - Wasn't it said "the Nazi menace rolls in death agony" 2 issues ago? Guess the Nazi on the cover didn't get the memo.

Nothing major jumped out at me about the later stories.

The art by the various artists was okay. The stories were mostly okay, a couple seem rushed.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 05:09:55 AM by SuperScrounge »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2022, 05:41:06 AM »

Senorita Rio Archive

First story - "Into gay and song-loving Rio" Oh my god! The woke have injected their identity politics into the past!!! 8-o ;-) Sorry, it was too silly for me to resist.

I've often wondered if Jolly Rancher fruit candies were named that because Gay Ranchero would have been problematic.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2022, 08:02:59 AM »

I think the word only took on its present connotion in the 1960's and more likely, the 70's
ip icon Logged

William Hazle

message icon
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 12:39:56 AM »

I'm looking forward to reading these. Some cool Nick Cardy and Lily Renee artwork to pore over.
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2022, 09:43:25 AM »

I read the story that starts on page 22 (I don't see a title for it). Rio somehow knows the president will be assassinated at the stroke of midnight. Mister President decides against hiding in a heavily walled and fortified bunker as the clock strikes midnight however, instead opting to to stand directly in front of a window that reaches from floor to ceiling. Luckily, the bad guys miss. Rio, the president and his entourage escapee, find a platoon of South-American assassins or soldiers and clean them out, despite being heavily outgunned.

The silly storyline speaks for itself but was still fun to read. The artwork was erudite. Facial features were heavily defined and I noticed the artist seemed to enjoy switching from close-ups of faces to withdrawn, unusual angles that captured a wide area. I also noticed the excessive ugliness of the bad guys. This is nothing new of course, but I did feel that the two main stooges were drawn to represent ugly stereotypes of certain groups. This is by no means something I am normally sensitive to so it makes me think I could be right. Then again, there is no evidence for any ethnic stereotyping, as the bad guys were South Americans.

In summation, my feeling towards Rio is the same as the previous reading corner. It was a learning experience to read but not something I would choose to return to.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 11:35:03 AM by gregjh »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2022, 04:07:21 AM »

Little info on Senorita Rio.
https://www.toonopedia.com/senorio.htm
Published by: Fiction House Magazines
First Appeared: 1942
Creator: Joe Hawkins, writer, and Nick Viscardi, artist

Rita's first story was credited to Joe Hawkins, undoubtedly a house name. The art has been identified as that of Nick Viscardi, who, under the name Nick Cardy, made an impression on 1960s readers of DC Comics with his work on Aquaman, The Teen Titans and Bat Lash. But artist Lily Ren?e was probably the one who became most strongly associated with the character.

Might be interesting for someone to do a study on Hispanic characters in Golden Age comics.

Story one.
Great First page. Atmospheric.
Page 2.I really like that 3 x 3 tier panel layout, when used effectively, which it is here.
Reminds me of Ray Moore on the Phantom. The story is straigh-forward but Nick Cardy is clearly pulling all the stops out and is enjoying himself with the art. It's all action and little exposition. My kind of comic.
Story 2 - shortest origin story ever. " The man I love was killed at Pearl Harbour. My life now is one of vengeance. " Mixture as before. Art wise, Nick Cardy is considered one of the gurus of 'Good Girl' art, and he doesn't disappoint here.
Not sure why the covers were included in this Archive, as most don't feature Senorita Rio.
The third story here has verbal elements in it that indicate to me that either the writer had personal knowledge of South America or had done his research.
Story 4. "I know the law as well as you, LLama-Face!" This insult comes up in more than one story. Interesting. There is no real attempt to create a three-dimensional character of Senorita Rio in these stories, she is just the centre-piece of the action. Comic story-telling at its most basic.However, the fact that Nick's art drives the narrative leaves the writer time to include some great lines in the dialogue.
Glad I picked this archive! 
I can see an Archive might be too much for a Reading Group choice. Hard to choose a specific story.
But then I do like to expose works to a wider audience.
Have a look at Archive two and see if Lily Renee made any significant changes to the character.
If there was ever a PD character crying out for a revival, Senorita Rio is the one!
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2022, 04:52:15 AM »

I read the first three stories.  The artwork was reasonably good.  I liked the staging, especially that of the second and third stories.  Yes, the authors seemed to know more about South America than the typical action-oriented story writers of US 1940s comic book stories.  They knew something about the large German migrations to South America between 1880 and the 1930s, who would later be exploited by The Nazi leaders, as agents for them there.  The writer of the third story even knew about Bernardo O'Higgins, having been the leader of Chile's revolution against Spanish rule, in the early 1800s, and based a rich land-holding loyalist friend of the unnamed South American country's president (who faced a coup and assassination attempt) character on the premise that that family still had ties to the ruling government, implying that the country in question is Chile.  It is such kinds of details that help make the story seem a little more realistic to me, more than a plain story with a lack of connection to real history, or worse, a story with historical, geographical, or scientific errors that draw too much attention, taking the reader out of "living in the story", and thus, make the story unbelievable, and no fun to read.

The stories were reasonably believable, fast-moving, full of action, and had some nice suspense and story elements, like the attempted presidential assassination and coup, and the different pro and anti Nazi political factions.

I don't think that the coincidence that Senorita Rio looking much like the countess was so hard to swallow.  I can believe that one of the main reasons she was chosen (accepted) to be a US agent in South America was the very fact that she bore a striking resemblance to her, and could be a valuable asset in dealing with Nazi agent activity in Brazil, needed at that moment.  She wanted to avenge her lover's death.  Maybe that was her only realistic ticket into that field, and she did so well on that assignment that she was kept on for other operations.

It's a comic book.  It doesn't bother me that she always wears a red dress, which could be used by US enemies to keep track of her all the time.  We can imagine that she often changes her makeup, hairstyle clothing type and colours.  I'm used to seeing wall colours, sky colours, clothing colours change from panel to panel in the same scene.  Think of 1962-1982 Gold Key comics.  Their colourists were abysmal.  When I had something crucial for understanding of action in my story dependent upon the colour of a certain object or area remaining the same, I made special notes for the colourist on a separate piece of paper, AND out in the margin of the original inked artwork.  And yet, my request was NEVER heeded or fulfilled by the colourist.  Carl Barks told me that that was his experience, as well.  The colourisation of these stories was adequate (which I cannot always say about all 1940s action-based comics that I read).

All in all, it was a pleasurable experience to read those Senorita Rio stories.  Some day, when I have some "dead time", I'll read some more of them.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 05:09:25 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.