in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #266: Bob Fujitani's Hangman

Pages: 1 [2]

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #266: Bob Fujitani's Hangman  (Read 4651 times)

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #266: Bob Fujitani's Hangman
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 01:30:31 AM »

I'll review the stories one by one, and just add them to one post.

I never have understood why people liked superhero stories.  I'd admire a courageous normal person, who rises above his normal expected capabilities when heroism is needed.  I'd much rather have had The Hangman be a private detective who has a grudge against heartless criminals, who enjoy hurting others.

Murder In The Guest Room
Quite a dramatic splash panel opening to this story.  It's an interesting story that has a secret not revealed until the end, and a twist ending.  Lots of distorted faces strange and unsettling camera angles, and the suspense builds up nicely.  I guess a criminally insane murderer was one of the main type of things the child protective associations wanted completely out of comic books to avoid "ruining the psyches of the innocent children", whose eventual censorship and rigid rules almost ruined the comic book industry by 1954.

I'm not sure why The Hangman is even needed in this story.  It could easily have been an Edgar Alan Poe story, with only the girl's suitor as a lucky survivor of a scary visit there.  The Hangman seems to burst into the story out of nowhere.

Hangman's Ransom
Interesting that The Hangman's criminal arch enemy takes sides with the unappreciated doctor to use his formerly useless anti-bacterial serum to blackmail the city's leaders into paying a gigantic ransom to buy it all to cure the people from the disease for which the doctor made it.  An ingenious plan.  But, it is foiled by The Hangman, who hasn't, in three stories demonstrated any super powers.

Robb_K, thanks for going through the stories in such detail. I held off replying sooner because I didn't know if you were going to review #8 as well. I'm glad you found at least some elements to enjoy or appreciate, and I agree that generally all the stories would have benefitted from more space and more development of characters, but that seems to have been off the menu in 1943.

In response to your preference for "real life" characters rather than superheroes, I'd like to throw this in.

When I was growing up in post-war UK, I lived in a drab, grey world until, age 9, my parents sent me to "buy a comic" no doubt in order to shut me up for a while. In the shop I came across an issue of World's Finest Comics, and was confronted with a whole new world of colour and excitement, and characters who could solve their problems in a way we mere mortals never could. (Plus of course Dick Sprang's art was way cool!) 8)

And as you point out, the Hangman doesn't demonstrate any super-powers since he doesn't have any. As I mentioned in my early synopsis of his origin, he is, in fact, an ordinary guy who has a grudge against murderers after they killed his super-hero brother, The Comet. So he is, in effect, a courageous normal person who chooses to dress in a scary costume in order to put the fear of God into killers.

Criminally insane murderers have never knowingly ruined my psyche, though some might disagree! But the Hangman stories would certainly have worried Dr. Wertham, and as far as I'm concerned, that's part of their charm. #8 opens with a doozy! But the Hangman isn't really needed in Murder in the Guest Room, all it needed was for the father of the criminally insane girl to stop taking in guests! But then there would be no story at all. :o

Same goes for the Hangman's Ransom - the writer waits until the penultimate issue to introduce an "arch enemy" who never gets a mention in six issues of Hangman comics, nor in umpteen preceding issues of Pep Comics.  Other than that the tale has interesting possibilities, including the hanging of the Hangman, by invitation only! But lack of pages wins out over all other considerations, as usual.

And so we have to take the Hangman as we find him, preserved by the kind consideration of CB+. Entirely a product of his time, he could never be reincarnated into the modern world, unlike many of his contemporaries, so at least he can't be ruined any more than he is here. I'm prepared to accept him warts and all, for the joy of the psyche-ruining old tosh that is kids' comics.

Thanks again for all your thoughtful input, and the same to all of this thread's contributors, you poor ruined-psyche buggers. Long live comics!! :D
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 11:55:48 AM »

Well gregjh, you're a hard man to please! :D Sorry the mag didn't fulfill its promise for you, but thanks for giving it a try. Cheers!

Thank you for introducing me to something stylish and interesting!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2022, 05:34:08 PM »

This is getting spooky.  Among my earliest experiences of American comics was Worlds Finest.  I loved the title, still do.  Particularly the 'late '50's, early '60's issues.  Ludicrous stories but highly entertaining, and the delight of seeing Batman and Superman (and now and then the lovely Batwoman with superpowers) together in a comic was memorable.
Before American comics were distributed here in 1959, my superhero addiction was fed by Ace Hart,
The Phantom (Aus comics turned up in small, local newsagents now and then), Marvelman and family and a few other b&w titles.
Yes, it was a drab, grey world, but if you could shout "KIMOTA" and your imagination changed you into Marvelman, well............................
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2022, 11:50:31 PM »

This is getting spooky.  Among my earliest experiences of American comics was Worlds Finest.  I loved the title, still do.  Particularly the 'late '50's, early '60's issues.  Ludicrous stories but highly entertaining, and the delight of seeing Batman and Superman (and now and then the lovely Batwoman with superpowers) together in a comic was memorable.

Yes, it was a drab, grey world, but if you could shout "KIMOTA" and your imagination changed you into Marvelman, well............................

Spooky indeed, paw. My first view of WF Comics would have been 1959, and it changed my life. It was that comic that spurred me on to investigate every kind of sci-fi and superhero mag that the UK could offer, including Marvelman, "mightiest man in the universe," which according to my reckoning means he could wipe the floor with Superman and Captain Marvel combined! Then in 1961along came the Fantastic Four and the mighty world of Marvel and my fate was assured. But CB+ has provided me with the opportunity to catch up on so much great reading that I missed by being born too late. Thanks for all the hard work you do for the UK section of this brilliant website, it's much appreciated.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2022, 07:30:04 PM »

I'll review the stories one by one, and just add them to one post.

I never have understood why people liked superhero stories.  I'd admire a courageous normal person, who rises above his normal expected capabilities when heroism is needed.  I'd much rather have had The Hangman be a private detective who has a grudge against heartless criminals, who enjoy hurting others.

Murder In The Guest Room
Quite a dramatic splash panel opening to this story.  It's an interesting story that has a secret not revealed until the end, and a twist ending.  Lots of distorted faces strange and unsettling camera angles, and the suspense builds up nicely.  I guess a criminally insane murderer was one of the main type of things the child protective associations wanted completely out of comic books to avoid "ruining the psyches of the innocent children", whose eventual censorship and rigid rules almost ruined the comic book industry by 1954.

I'm not sure why The Hangman is even needed in this story.  It could easily have been an Edgar Alan Poe story, with only the girl's suitor as a lucky survivor of a scary visit there.  The Hangman seems to burst into the story out of nowhere.

Hangman's Ransom
Interesting that The Hangman's criminal arch enemy takes sides with the unappreciated doctor to use his formerly useless anti-bacterial serum to blackmail the city's leaders into paying a gigantic ransom to buy it all to cure the people from the disease for which the doctor made it.  An ingenious plan.  But, it is foiled by The Hangman, who hasn't, in three stories demonstrated any super powers.

Robb_K, thanks for going through the stories in such detail. I held off replying sooner because I didn't know if you were going to review #8 as well. I'm glad you found at least some elements to enjoy or appreciate, and I agree that generally all the stories would have benefitted from more space and more development of characters, but that seems to have been off the menu in 1943.

In response to your preference for "real life" characters rather than superheroes, I'd like to throw this in.

When I was growing up in post-war UK, I lived in a drab, grey world until, age 9, my parents sent me to "buy a comic" no doubt in order to shut me up for a while. In the shop I came across an issue of World's Finest Comics, and was confronted with a whole new world of colour and excitement, and characters who could solve their problems in a way we mere mortals never could. (Plus of course Dick Sprang's art was way cool!) 8)

And as you point out, the Hangman doesn't demonstrate any super-powers since he doesn't have any. As I mentioned in my early synopsis of his origin, he is, in fact, an ordinary guy who has a grudge against murderers after they killed his super-hero brother, The Comet. So he is, in effect, a courageous normal person who chooses to dress in a scary costume in order to put the fear of God into killers.

Criminally insane murderers have never knowingly ruined my psyche, though some might disagree! But the Hangman stories would certainly have worried Dr. Wertham, and as far as I'm concerned, that's part of their charm. #8 opens with a doozy! But the Hangman isn't really needed in Murder in the Guest Room, all it needed was for the father of the criminally insane girl to stop taking in guests! But then there would be no story at all. :o

Same goes for the Hangman's Ransom - the writer waits until the penultimate issue to introduce an "arch enemy" who never gets a mention in six issues of Hangman comics, nor in umpteen preceding issues of Pep Comics.  Other than that the tale has interesting possibilities, including the hanging of the Hangman, by invitation only! But lack of pages wins out over all other considerations, as usual.

And so we have to take the Hangman as we find him, preserved by the kind consideration of CB+. Entirely a product of his time, he could never be reincarnated into the modern world, unlike many of his contemporaries, so at least he can't be ruined any more than he is here. I'm prepared to accept him warts and all, for the joy of the psyche-ruining old tosh that is kids' comics.

Thanks again for all your thoughtful input, and the same to all of this thread's contributors, you poor ruined-psyche buggers. Long live comics!! :D

I had planned to read the 3 stories from Hangman #8, as well, but I was (and still am) extremely busy with my own health upkeep, family problems (health and transport needs of close relatives), problems with my car (their transport means), income tax preparation, and a work project deadline,other issues, so couldn't get to it.  It was a miracle that I snuck this review in.

I think it is interesting that your explanation of your early fascination with comic books and your introduction to them, is so similar to my own experience, and that of my Dutch and Danish relatives and friends, and German friends from my early post WWII age group, experience in being introduced to comic books, and falling in love with them.  They all mentioned that The World was gray and drab after the horrors of The War, and most families had no extra money for entertainment, like the cinema or buying expensive games, or seeing live shows, sports, etc.  That was the same for me and my family while in The Netherlands and Canada as well, as we were using any extra money to help other family members in Holland or Belgium, or Hungary, or Lithuania, who were much worse off.  Comic books were only only a dime in Canada, and much less than 1 Guilder in Holland, and similar in Danmark and Germany, and brought bright colours into our drab World in pre-restoration Europe, and the gray Winters of Canada.  I was first read the comics by my grandparents, parents and older family members at 2 and 3, and at late 3, started to read them back to them.  I loved perusing through my 4 older cousins stacks of 1940-47 used comics.  When my grandfather first took me to the local newsstand and I saw all the wondrous, colourful comic books, I was fascinated.  It was the solid single, bright coloured funny animal comics that caught my eye, with their simple, single-lined figures.  Of course, I had been introduced to those in my reading anyway.  But, lots of those were faded a bit, as they were second hand.  The new books at the newsstand had bright and shiny covers.  We did still have some black and white only interiors in Canadian produced comic books in 1946 and 1947, but, as US colour books had returned in mid-to-late 1945, they couldn't compete, and those Canadian comic lines that could still operate, changed over to colour.  By 1948, most comic books in Canada were US produced, and all in colour.  I realise that your fascination with the US books was the difference between those and the British B&W comics.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2022, 08:19:21 PM »

I guess a criminally insane murderer was one of the main type of things the child protective associations wanted completely out of comic books to avoid "ruining the psyches of the innocent children", whose eventual censorship and rigid rules almost ruined the comic book industry by 1954.

When I was a youngster they still at least attempted to teach history.
There is more sex violence and insanity in a real history book than there ever was in the most seedy of comic books.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2022, 12:57:04 AM »

[quote ]
I had planned to read the 3 stories from Hangman #8, as well, but I was (and still am) extremely busy with my own health upkeep, family problems (health and transport needs of close relatives), problems with my car (their transport means), income tax preparation, and a work project deadline,other issues, so couldn't get to it.  It was a miracle that I snuck this review in.
[/quote]

Hi Robb_K, thanks for getting back in touch, hope the world's not being too hard on you at the moment. Good of you to share your comic-reader "origin story" with us, it seems many of us have had similar experiences. Appreciate your input, best wishes for the future.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2022, 01:01:15 AM »

When I was a youngster they still at least attempted to teach history.
There is more sex violence and insanity in a real history book than there ever was in the most seedy of comic books.

Truer word was never said, Captain!
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2022, 07:14:15 AM »

Hangman #8 Stories:
The Gallows and The Ghoul

Wow!  Another ghastly tale of a maniacal monster whose brain spurs him to murder completely innocent people, blaming them for his own inability to cope with the everyday trials The World hands out to people. I never knew that MLJ, the company famous for "Archie Comics", produced such gruesome stories during its earliest period.  Again, the villain is a madman, and one that could be considered by many as being the embodiment of evil (if such a force exists).  Another great splash for the storys opener.  As in the other Hangman stories, The Hangman is not really necessary, and seems to be thrown in as an extra figure, who doesn't belong to the story, and actually gets in the way, as a distraction.  I see this series as a feeble and failed attempt to bring a costumed crusader for saving the innocent victims, and punishing or retraining and isolating the criminally insane transgressors, so they can no longer hurt society, into a comic book series.  But, again I state that such a series could better stand on its own, without the masked crusader taking attention away from the key theme of the series.  It would be better, for example, to be called "Tales of The Criminally Insane", and be introduced by a "host", like ECs Cryptkeeper, or Thrillers Boris Karloff.  The Hangman does nothing but distract the reader, taking him or her out of living through the continuity of the terror of the story, and ruining the experience the author planned to provide.  In this story, it appears that The Hangman has one  super power, as he seems to fly out of a window, or up from the sidewalk, to fly under the falling boy, catch him in midair, and, somehow not only impossibly break his fall's momentum enough to catch him, without both people crashing to the hard cement, and being injured (with lots of bones breaking).  If he CANNOT fly, then what he did was impossible.  If he CAN fly, why is that evident only in this one story?  Such an inconsistency is yet another flaw in this series.

The Case Of The Python's Curse
Yet another very memorable opening Splash Page.  THIS is the first of the Hangman stories that has a little more to it, given that there is a second plotline in it, dealing with Gorley, who was the main perpetrator of the snake theft, and somehow escaped death, and returned (unbeknownst to his compatriots, and also to the reader).  And so, it brought a very late unexpected surprise, and twist ending.  Therefore, this is, by far, the best story in the two books, so far (based on story structure), even though the artfully constructed, intense, sinister moods created in the other stories, caused by the insanity of the villains does not appear in this one.  The Hangman seems to fit better in this story than in the others, even though it might make more sense for him to just stay in his role as a detective, rather than having the author seem obsessed with a nonsensical desire to make the reader believe that the costumed crusader for justice foiled this criminal based on his wanting fair play for the innocent in society.  Making the reader aware that he(the author) is attempting in vain to accomplish that unnecessary feat, just takes the attention and concentration power of the reader away from the story plot and its action, and thus, makes it far less enjoyable than it could be.  Of course, the short number of pages makes it difficult for the author and artist to show or tell the reader how the Indian snake owner was able to track down the thieves and fulfill the "curse", helping the snake kill all three.

Pirates Out Of The Past
The opening splash page for this story is not as striking or memorable as the first five I read.  Also, it is a weird fantasy tale that goes unexplained, as a little boy and the hangman are transported back in time to the time of the later-middle discoveries of Christopher Columbus, captured by Spanish pirates (who somehow speak English fluently) on a ghost ship.  The Captain (Balbo), murders some of his crew members, so no one will know where his treasure is buried.  And in the end, they report the crime to the modern police, but then decide there is no point in giving its details, as no one would believe them.  It seems like an awkward and feeble attempt to place The hangman and his crusade for justice, in an early pirate adventure, with no real connection to the theme of the series, just to get a bit of change in the type of story, to avoid boredom of the readers.

Roy and Dusty - Boy Buddies
This story is a little better than the one in Hangman 7, but not enough to make it worth reading.  It is absolutely unbelievable that a well-meaning reformer planned to get into politics and reform how his city (a large, major one) was run, did not know that it was run by organised crime, and found out that was true just before voting day.  And even more unlikely that he would rescind his candidate status before the election, and that would be refused. Also unbelievable that the boys (in their silly outfits, mind you) try to crash a murder scene, just as the police are investigating.  It is also awkward that the writer has the two boys discussing action we should see happen in dialogue.  In one panel, the perspective is so incorrect that Roy swinging a large, heavy man in the air by his ankle, to knock over another similarly proportioned and weighted man, that the two large men are so much smaller than Roy, that it makes them look like dolls (e.g. the second man is too far away to be hit by the body of the man Roy is swinging, and although the man being swung has always been seen, previously, as a large man, he now is portrayed as light as a feather, so Roy can swing him in the air by the ankle, towards a target).  But, there is a slight saving grace, in that the re-election elects the reluctant new mayor, again, against his will.  Which is a nicely ironic twist ending.  But, again, it is too unbelievable that the populace of a large, major city in USA, would elect an amateur candidate to that office, over a should-be-competent (and at least relatively honest replacement for a previous corrupt candidate representing the interests of the organised crime syndicate of their city).  The story is all too ridiculous and amateurish to hold any interest for the reader, other than making fun of it, and marvelling at how desperate the burgeoning comic book industry was for story writers and their material during the early 1940s.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2022, 03:22:36 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2022, 01:33:59 AM »

Hangman #8 Stories:
The Gallows and The Ghoul
Another great splash for the storys opener. 
In this story, it appears that The Hangman has one  super power, as he seems to fly out of a window, or up from the sidewalk, to fly under the falling boy, catch him in midair, and, somehow not only impossibly break his fall's momentum enough to catch him, without both people crashing to the hard cement, and being injured (with lots of bones breaking).  If he CANNOT fly, then what he did was impossible.  If he CAN fly, why is that evident only in this one story?

The Case Of The Python's Curse
Yet another very memorable opening Splash Page.

Pirates Out Of The Past
It seems like an awkward and feeble attempt to place The hangman and his crusade for justice, in an early pirate adventure, with no real connection to the theme of the series, just to get a bit of change in the type of story, to avoid boredom of the readers.

Roy and Dusty - Boy Buddies
The story is all too ridiculous and amateurish to hold any interest for the reader, other than making fun of it, and marvelling at how desperate the burgeoning comic book industry was for story writers and their material during the early 1940s.

Hi Robb_K, thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to review the other issue. Glad you've enjoyed some of Fujitani's eye-catching splash pages. I see that you'd generally prefer the Hangman stories without the Hangman, which I can only attribute to either your failure to understand why comic readers like superheroes, or the uncredited writers' failures to understand how to shoehorn a powerless superhero into their strange and twisted tales.  I can only relate this to your final, very appropriate comment on the Boy Buddies stories, that the comics of the time were so short of writers that they'd let anything go! But in general as I told paw broon, these are kids' comics, not great works of fiction, and I take them as they are, much as I presume you must take partially dressed, talking animals as they are.  :) I think it's best, in both cases, to suspend belief before reading.

And no, the Hangman has no powers, I think he's just depicted diving under the falling boy in order to save him, and yes of course in real life they'd both have multiple fractures, and yes it's impossible, but it's a device used so often in so many tales of adventure, courage, or heroism that it's probably best to let it go!

Glad you enjoyed the Curse of the Python a little more than the other tales. The Pirates out of the Past, another device often used in mystery/ adventure stories, I have to agree, sits uncomfortably with the character, as does the final Hangman tale of all, relegated to a backup feature in Black Hood comics, where he pursues a perp into the future. Still, at least he's relentless in his pursuit of justice, even in the most unlikely of settings.

I can't say any more about the Boy Buddies than you can, save to say the art's pretty unremarkable too. It was good of you to wade through it, and you plainly share one characteristic with the Hangman, namely your relentlessness in your pursuit of a detailed review.  ;)

Thanks for all your time and effort, and your insightful comments.
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »

I haven't commented on Hangman yet! I knew the character first from the MLJ revival in the late 60's. They didn't do much with him and I wondered how you would handle the character since, under the comic code, you couldn't really have a comic character actually hanging people. [A pre-Punisher Punisher?]
Hangman Comics 7
Tiger and the Ruby
This has a very strong SPIRIT feel to it.
Thelma and Bob = SPIRIT and Ellen.
Like the Spirit, Hangman just happens to be on the scene of an adventure. He's sort of 'out on the edge' of the main story and solves the mystery out of curiosity as much as anything.
A lot of the visuals are reminiscent of Eisner too.
Thelma - Page 4 panel 5; The mist in front of the ship, same page; The whole of page 8.
The story itself.
Murder in the Guest Room.
Eisner Splash
Nice twist, but the artist and the writer went out of their way to obscure the truth. Well done!
Hamgman's Ransom
Fun,all stops out, and even more Eisner like.
Not going to comment on the Boy Buddies.
Hangman Comics 8
Powewrful cover.
Gallows and the Ghoul. 
This splash could have been used in 'Seduction of the Innocent' 
The layout for page #6 is worth stopping and savoring. Clearly he composed the page as a whole.
This story is all action. Another characteristic of Fujitami - and I figure he did his own colouring - was grotesque faces, all wild eyes, hair, eyelashes and teeth, full panel and sickly green/grey in colour. Powerful stuff!
The case of the Python's curse.
Great Splash!
Interesting that we get a story about a snake charmer right after the 'World Wonders' page, which states that
[Snakes cannot be charmed with music, they are deaf, they hear only through ground vibrations]
The two panels at the top of page #8 are pure Eisner. The whole page is great!
And just for once,the Villain is hanged - but not by the Hangman!
Pirates out of the past
This is the most 'Eisner' 'SPIRIT" story yet. And excellent too!
So who drew Captain Truth? I don't know.
Fujitani?
Against;- All the Captain Truth panels are 6 to a page, In the Hangman work, he is extremely creative with panel layout. There is none of that here.
For;- The use of Angles in many of the panels. 
For;- The faces have a Bob F look to them. The inking looks Bob F.
For; the Green lighting on the face, Panel #4 page 27
Against;- The anatomy on the Hangman work is consistently tall, thin and angular and the faces are almost all distorted.
Ok. I think this is Fujitani, but perhaps constrained somewhat by whoever he was doing the job for. 
But he may have been working over someone else's pencils/layouts.
Kingcat, thanks for getting me to take a closer look at Hangman.
Cheers!

ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2022, 01:30:47 AM »

I haven't commented on Hangman yet! I knew the character first from the MLJ revival in the late 60's. They didn't do much with him and I wondered how you would handle the character since, under the comic code, you couldn't really have a comic character actually hanging people. [A pre-Punisher Punisher?]

Hangman Comics 7
Tiger and the Ruby
This has a very strong SPIRIT feel to it.
Thelma and Bob = SPIRIT and Ellen.
Like the Spirit, Hangman just happens to be on the scene of an adventure. He's sort of 'out on the edge' of the main story and solves the mystery out of curiosity as much as anything.
A lot of the visuals are reminiscent of Eisner too.

Hangman Comics 8
Powewrful cover.
Gallows and the Ghoul. 
This splash could have been used in 'Seduction of the Innocent' 
Pirates out of the past
This is the most 'Eisner' 'SPIRIT" story yet. And excellent too!

So who drew Captain Truth? I don't know.

Ok. I think this is Fujitani, but perhaps constrained somewhat by whoever he was doing the job for. 

Kingcat, thanks for getting me to take a closer look at Hangman.
Cheers!

Thanks for your comments Panther, like I said in my preamble, The Hangman never hangs anyone though fate sometimes intervenes to bring his enemies to an appropriate end. I didn't know he was part of the MLJ revival, though I can't imagine what they could have done with him.

Now I'm glad you brought it up, I wasn't going to mention Eisner though my comment on #8 is still on record. I think the similarities are quite strong and the Hangman's all the better for it. I'm glad you appreciated the splash pages, The Tiger and the Ruby is probably one of the weaker ones. And the cover for #8 is one of my all-time favourites.

The splash for the Gallows and the Ghoul is certainly one of the more lurid images I've seen in pre-code comics, and a child psychologist's nightmare, but it's so powerful and striking I can't help but like it! I'm sure Eisner did at least one Spirit story with pirates out of the past, if not several. (And in all fairness to Bob F., I've seen some pretty "rubbery figures" in Eisner over the years! ;))

Anyhow, I digress. The one thing no-one's picked up on is the artistic licence Fujitani uses in showing the Hangman's gallows-projection shining onto his victim's face.  It looks so dramatic, but logically, if the image was shone onto your face, you might see the light source, but you'd never see the design. I've never let it spoil my enjoyment though. :D

As for Captain Truth, the things that make me certain it's Bob are all the things you mention, plus: his habit of looking into a panel over somebody's shoulder (panel 4 page 5, and panel 6 page 6) and the way the Captain's cape billows out behind him ( panels 4 and 6 page 3, panels 5 and 6 page 9.) It's enough for me, anyway. Somehow I can't imagine Bob's dark and twisted Hangman approach on something as light and wholesome on Captain Truth.

Thanks again for looking at all three comics, I'm glad you found plenty to enjoy. And once again my thanks to everyone who contributed, I hope you had fun. I certainly did!   ;D
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2022, 02:46:23 AM »

One point, which i will make strongly, Fujitani is not swiping from Eisner, he is inspired by him and influenced by His work, but  Bob F is definitely his own man.
Cheers!
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2022, 10:57:46 PM »

One point, which i will make strongly, Fujitani is not swiping from Eisner, he is inspired by him and influenced by His work, but  Bob F is definitely his own man.
Cheers!

I'll second that, Panther!  :)
And thanks again for letting me be guest-host for the reading group.
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.