in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

HORROR

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

topic icon Author Topic: HORROR  (Read 11355 times)

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
Re: HORROR
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2023, 03:26:45 AM »

concerning...
OBRAS MAESTRA DEL TERROR (1960)
...a Poe anthology from Argentina:     

Been reading about this lately. Somebody needs to go down to hell (you  know Jack Harris is there) and really b****-slap his sorry *** for what he  did. A "real" importer would have just dubbed the complete film into  English and released it as-is-- not cut it up into 2 separate  atrocities.     

Listening to the various audio commentaries on the AIP-POE films, I've  come to the conclusion that just about every one of them was inspired by  PREVIOUS non-Poe films-- though TALES apparently was a straight-up remake of OBRAS. That's why "Valdemar" was first in the trailer, and in the Dell comic!

Corman added "The Black Cat" to "Amontillado", though doing so destroyed the logic of both stories.  "Morella" subbed for "Tell-Tale Heart"-- "Tell-Tale" is probably WHY the 3 intros all involve heartbeats!!! "Morella"  makes more sense first, as it opens the same as the previous 3 films,  and acts as a mini-version of them, right down to the fire at the end.  (I can't find fires at the end of ANY actual Poe stories... Funny, huh? I  think that really came from "REBECCA".)   "Valdemar" makes for a better finale, when Rathbone suddenly screams bloody murder. MY favorite moment in the whole film.     

MY reccomendation: is for every single person at this board to contact  Severin Films and nag them TO DEATH to put out a "proper" release of OBRAS, as described in one of the posts above.     

In case ya'll are wondering, I just watched TALES again  tonight.  I have the Spanish Blu-Ray.  It's got the English language  version as an option.  The Kino went OOP and got too pricey for me.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2023, 02:58:57 PM »

ENTER THE DEVIL (1972)

A modern-day horror-western. No kidding. A little bit of "Sam McCloud", a little bit of "Quincy M.E.", and a bit of THE DEVIL RIDES OUT-- or something like that. Every so often, you see a low-budget independant movie with NOT ONE name you recognize on either side of the camera, but it's so well-done it really grabs your attention-- and this one sure does! I got a half-hour in before taking a break, and for me, on Youtube, that's pretty damn good! Looking forward to seeing the rest of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AoxvoSfbt4
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #127 on: September 08, 2023, 03:22:21 AM »

THE MASQUE OF THE RED DEATH (1964)
"Extended cut"

I ask you, can no one do a job properly???

In 2015, Shout Factory included Corman's "MASQUE" as part of "The Vincent Price Collection".  Near as I can make out, the film is "perfect".

However... in 2020, as part of their "Revised Reissue", they included a 2nd version of the film, an "Extended Cut".  This is in ADDITION to the other one, not in place of.  Good move!  The new "Extended Cut" is set as the DEFAULT, meaning you have to click on "Theatrical Cut" if you want to play that one.

2 long-missing out-takes, apparently never seen before this Blu-Ray, were added back in.  The 2nd scene, was the lead-in to the "Falcon" scene, where Francesca talks about the previous night as if it were just a dream she had.  A nice addition.

The 1st scene, however, has Hop-Toad comfort a crying Esmerelda, who tells him that he is the only person in her entire life who has ever treated her with affection, and he replies by saying he feels ten feet tall, and insists no one will ever hurt her again.  And he asks if she would agree to escape the castle with him.  This is an extremely-importand linking scene, and I am dumbfounded that it was ever missing from the film!  It adds so much to his character, and clues the audience in ahead of time that in his next scene, when he says she "means nothing to me", he's LYING to Alfredo.

That's the good.  Here's the bad.  This new print is NOTICABLY darker all the way through.  It's not bad enough to ruin it like Kino Lorber's THE OBLONG BOX, but still, it's clear the entire film has been re-processed. WHY?  Why not just insert the missing footage?

In addition, the sound level is lower.  WAY lower.  I had to crank my stereo up all the way to hear some of the quieter dialogue.

Also, there's a revised "MGM" logo at the beginning and end of the film.  No big deal... EXCEPT...

The "Extended Cut", the very end of the end credits CUT OFF a couple seconds TOO EARLY, and it abruptly JUMPS to the "MGM" logo.  It DOESN'T do this on the "Theatrical Cut".  The music ENDS PROPERLY, followed by at least a full second of SILENCE before the older "MGM" logo comes up.

WHAT THE F*** is wrong with some people?
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #128 on: September 08, 2023, 04:14:16 AM »

The 1st time I ever saw and heard the full end credits on this film was when I taped it off TCM back in January 2006.  Those credits-- and David Lee's music-- were just plain AWESOME.  And when they got to the END, I was STUNNED.  I practically yelled at my TV, "This film is a WORK OF ART!!!"  Well on that "Extended Cut", Shout Factory has RUINED the end of the film.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #129 on: November 21, 2023, 05:30:39 PM »

Hmm, let's see... favorite Mummy stories:

THE MUMMY (1932)
THE MUMMY'S HAND (1941)
THE MUMMY (1959)
MYSTERY & IMAGINATION:  Jewel of the 7 Stars (1970)
DOCTOR WHO:  Pyramids Of Mars (1975)
SECRET OF THE MUMMY (1982)

Ooh!!! Somebody put the last one back up online again!  COOL!  Watch it while you have the chance.  It's a BLAST you will not believe!

The music in the opening scene is Mussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition", which is also heard early in Amicus' ASYLUM.

I was so thrilled when I found this available from Sinister Cinema.  It's one of the most bat-s*** crazy horror films I've ever seen.  Written by Brazillian legend Rubens Francisco Lucchetti !

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x8h7tws
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 05:34:52 PM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2023, 03:43:17 AM »

I was reminded, UCLA (funded by George Lucas, funny enough) did the incredible restoration of MYSTERY OF THE WAX MUSEUM which I just re-watched last night.

Well, tonight, I just re-watched WHITE ZOMBIE.  Ohhhh, man.  What a cool film.

The acting in this, yes, does seem "silent film" style, but considering when it came out, and the subject matter, I really have no problem with it.  When I began doing a chronological mega-marathon of every movie in my collection, it got to where you see enough movies from the same era, and they start to seem "normal".

Madge Bellamy is WAY cuter than Helen Chandler!  Charles Beaumont (where have I heard that name before-- heeheehee) is a jerk, but, AT LEAST he regrets what he did before it's over.

Some of the visuals in this are JAW-DROPPING!  The big room in the castle reminds me a bit of the main hall in Castle Dracula.  The steps along the cliff remind me of "The Devil's Hopyard" from THE DUNWICH HORROR (1969), as well as 2 different similar settings in John Blackburn's "Coley" comic-book stories.  The long shot looking up at the castle, which seems to have been built right into the cliff-face, reminds me of the view of Nicholas Medina's castle in Corman's PIT AND THE PENDULUM!

The witch-doctor calls the owner of the castle "Murder".  It's the only time Bela Lugosi's character is referred to by name in the entire picture.  He's called "Murder Legendre" by the narrator of the 1952 trailer.

The VERY-scratchy, fuzzy reissue trailer from 1952, the narrator sounds like the same guy who narrated parts of Ed Wood's PLAN 9 FROM OUTER SPACE.  Could it be?

It's clear to me this particular restoration (which the credits seem rather proud of) was done from at least 2 very-different prints, as most of it's very clear, but certain scenes are VERY fuzzy (probably a much-small size print).  The restoration of 1929's DER HUND VON BASKERVILLE (Germany) combined a 35 mm print with a 9 mm print.  REALLY!

The sound is HISSY thoughout, but I could hear most of it pretty good, though about halfway thru, the volume JUMPS up for most of the rest of the picture, and a few spots after that, it get fuzzy and then clears up again.

I also noticed a few jumps in the film in the 2nd half.

Overall, partly because I've only got a low-quality 28-inch screen (all I can fit in my room), I usually can't tell the difference between a DVD and a Blu-Ray (when I've gotten both in one package), and this film is "fine" by my standards.  Even so, news that there was a "better" one a year later-- and that is will hopefully be a "DEFINITIVE" one sometime soon-- does make me wanna spring for the new one when it comes out.

"Dr. Bruner" really steals the picture for me.  "Pardon me-- have you got a match?"  (Both the first and last lines in the film.)  I especially like the long scene where he tries to explain what he thinks is going on to Neil.  Edward Van Sloan's hero in DRACULA may seem like he walked in from some other planet (as did Lugosi and Frye), but John Cawthorne seems like a "regular guy". 

A funny thought that crossed my mind tonight:  between "Dr. Bruner" and "Murder", it feels like I'm watching some 1932 episode of DOCTOR WHO, with antique versions of "The Doctor" and "The Master"!  Especially given how much Roger Delgado's villain loved to HYPNOTIZE people and get them under his power.

WHITE ZOMBIE is another film that would make a great double-feature with the 1931 DRACULA.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #131 on: January 11, 2024, 04:48:19 AM »

CASTLE OF BLOOD (1964)

Journalist Alan Foster wants to interview Edgar Allan Poe during his visit to London, but winds up accepting a bet he can stay in Lord Blackwood's haunted castle until daybreak. Not a good idea!

This Euro flick has been a favorite of mine since I taped it off late-night from Philly's Channel 57, WITH commercial breaks intact, which made it a hassle to watch over the years.

Severin Films made a BIG DEAL out of having a "Brand new HD transfer of rare US TV print”, widescreen, lot of damage, cut, which is missing 6-1/2 minutes. Insanely, the channel 57 broadcast was only missing 6 minutes, and the Severin print is missing a line that appeared over and over during the station breaks: "And now, it is YOUR turn!"

Well, Synapse Films put it out on DVD in 2002 as an “Uncensored International Version”. NO KIDDING. VERY clear picture, slightly fuzzy SOUND, and wherever something had been cut over here (some mild nudity and the like), it switches to French language with English subtitles and back again. (JUST like my DVD sets of the 1966 ULTRAMAN.) So this 2002 Synapse DVD is VASTLY-SUPERIOR to the 2015 Severin Blu-Ray. GO FIGURE.

Now here's the other crazy part. This was one of 2 DVDs I had of foreign movies that would not play properly on my el cheapo Phillips BR player. What I mean is, on that, I had to set my TV to "zoom" for widescreen films, but, if I did, on this disc (and another one), the English subtitles were at the bottom of the screen, under the image, and CUT OFF if the TV was set to "zoom".

However, my new LG region-free BR player, you set the TV to "stretch", and the player AUTOMATICALLY adjusts the images to the correct size, whether the films are fullscreen or widescreen. And with both of these discs I thought were defective, the English subtitles appear IN FRONT of the image, and so, both discs play PERFECTLY on the LG machine! Cool.

I understand Barbara Steele (who's still around!) is recording an audio commentary for a brand-new version of this film, but, since I already have 3 copies (and am planning to THROW OUT the old videotape), do I REALLY need another one?

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2024, 04:20:54 AM »

Tonight's movie:

THE SECRET OF THE MUMMY (1982)

It's not a comedy, but it it REALLY funny in places. And, totally BAT-S*** crazy.

https://glitternight.com/2022/05/03/the-secret-of-the-mummy-1982-1983-movie-review/
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.