in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

SHERLOCK HOLMES

Pages: 1 2 [3]

topic icon Author Topic: SHERLOCK HOLMES  (Read 5214 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: SHERLOCK HOLMES
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2023, 08:37:07 AM »

Found this one by chance, without looking for it.

Sherlock Holmes - The Hound of the Baskervilles - 1983
Ian Richardson and Donald Churchill
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsbrMcZJ3vY

Denholm Elliot
Brian Blessed
Eleanor Bron
Martin Shaw
among others

Director - Douglas Hickok 

As soon as I saw Ian Richardson, I thought, 'Of Course!' He would make a great Holmes.
So it's a pity he appears to have only made this one.   
Particularly because in 'Hound' Holmes himself appears personally in less than half of the story.
Holmes sends Watson off to Baskerville House and (apparently) stays behind in London. We only see him half-way through the narrative, and then only in disguise.
All the actors are excellent.
A good Watson and a good Lestrade.
Martin Shaw, a surprising choice, plays the young Lord Baskerville well.
This print is not wonderful, unfortunately. 

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #51 on: January 02, 2024, 12:07:06 AM »

Sy Weintraub (who took over the TARZAN series with TARZAN GOES TO INDIA) paid good money for the rights to do 6 Sherlock Holmes films... only to find that the stories entered Public Domain.  I read he allegedly sued Grenada TV when they began their series with Jeremy Brett, it was settled out of court, he took the money and walked away.  No matter how I look at it, that's rotten.

Weintraub did 2 HOLMES films-- THE SIGN OF FOUR and THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES.  Both with Ian Richardson-- oddly, with 2 different Watsons-- both including bits of other stories (shades of the Universal series), but both, in my view, lavish big-budget ALL-STAR productions that looks so good it's hard to believe they were done for television!

I believe Charles Edward Pogue wrote both screenplays, and had a 3rd in the works, which, eventually, was filmed as HANDS OF A MURDERER with Edward Woodward & John Hillerman.

Although the 2 Richardson films are not the most authentic, they're both HIGH on my favorites list for adaptations of those stories.  Richardson is among my favorite Holmes. While older than many, he brings a youthful ENTHUSIASM to it, showing the character has real love for the work he's doing.  You know, while each Holmes actor could be said to exist in their own separate continuity, I tend to think of Richardson and Ronald Howard as being THE SAME version, as they're portrayals are so similar.

I'm not the only one who noticed this, but having Laura Lyons MURDERED by Stapleton (who promised her marriage) seems to have come from the long-lost 1929 version of HOUND.  The difference being, in that, Stapleton actually told Laura he was married but planning to leave his wife; while here, Laura was still with her husband Jeffrey (Brian Blessed, to my knowledge his ONLY appearance in a version of HOUND), who winds up blamed for her murder.

I really need to read the novel one of these days.  I was surprised that the scene of Stapleton pinning Holmes down in a shootout near the end had previously appeared in the 1981 Russian version! That version is so authentic, it makes me think that scene is from the book, when I had long thought it was made up for the 1983 film.

I like both Richardson films WAY better than their Jeremy Brett equivalents.  While most of Brett's series is superb, all 5 2-hour episodes they did border on unwatchable.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 12:10:32 AM by profh0011 »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #52 on: January 02, 2024, 04:00:26 AM »

The only version of Richardsons 'The sign of four' on youtuve is dubbed in Hindi so I will have to look elsewhere for a copy of that.
However, I have found

1/ This Canadian Version
The Sign of Four (2001) / full movie /  Matt Frewer as Sherlock Holmes and Kenneth Welsh as Dr. Watson.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeiomA2-RQ8
2/ This oddity.
Sherlock Homes and the Shadow Watchers (540p) FULL MOVIE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BL7ceHfDA00

This was clearly a labour of love for Anthony D. P. Mann who produced, directed and starred in it.
He states that it was authorized by the Conan Doyle Estate..
It's a curates egg of a production. ['Parts of it were excellent'] But!
The cast is ill-chosen and the production patchy and the sound not  good.
But I think I might like it when I watch it all the way through. 

The game is afoot!

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2024, 05:02:15 AM »

I've seen multiple versions of THE SIGN OF FOUR so far...

1923 / Eille Norwood -- This has been reported as being part of the massive BFI restoration of all 40 existing Norwood films (out of 47, the other 7 are considered lost).  Someone, somehow, posted a TERRIBLE, almost-unwatchble copy of this on Youtube.  I wonder how, as I've found no evidence that it's available on disc or anything else right now.

1932 / Arthur Wontner -- Ian Hunter (who played King Richard in the classic Errol Flynn ROBIN HOOD) plays Watson in this.  It concludes with a HIGH-SPEED boat chase (compared to the more authentic slow-mo chases in a couple later versions), and end with a wonderful dialogue twist.  Watson GETS the girl, Holmes reacts by saying, "Amazing, Watson!" Watson replies, "Elementary, my dear Holmes!"  I currently have 2 copies of this on DVD, 2 DIFFERENT kinds of terrible. As of 2021, Sinister Cinema has one listed as an "upgrade", "from 35 mm".  It's on my list.  I believe the 3 other available Wontners are all supposed to be "upgraded" in a single package, that's also on my wanted list.

1943 / Basil Rathbone -- there's a LITTLE bit of "FOUR" in SPIDER WOMAN, a film that borrows from 8 different stories at the same time!  (Shades of Roger Moore's FOR YOUR EYES ONLY.)

1968 / Peter Cushing -- this BBC version, squeezed down to a single hour, amazingly manages to capture the essence of the story despite its insanely-short run-time.  There's a wonderful scene of Watson getting to know Mary Morstan (who he winds up marrying between stories), and Holmes has a brief reunion with someone who knows him from his skills as an amateur boxer!  John Stratton is fabulous as "Inspector Jones", who disses Holmes' "theories" before offering HIS OWN seconds later, then late in the story, comes crawling because he knows he needs Holmes' help.

1983 / Ian Richardson & David Healy -- Thorley Walters plays Major Sholto while Clive Merrison is Bartholomew Sholto.  This has a lengthy sequence at a fun fare (also seen in the Wontner & Rathbone films).  We see the murder before Holmes does, so it's less of a mystery, but the film is SO well-done, and I frankly enjoy it even more than Richardson's HOUND (though it's a close call on those 2).

1988 / Jeremy Brett -- so many insist this is "the best version" simply because Brett did it, but compared to Richardson, it's almost unwatchable.  Ronald Lacey REALLY gets on my nerves as the over-nervous Sholto brothers, and the finale, where all is explained, just drags.  Sometimes changing a story in an adaptation can seriously improve it.

1991 / Charlton Heston -- THE CRUCIBLE OF BLOOD (adapted from the stage play) is about 75% "The Sign Of Four", though this one starts in India, before moving to England many years later, so it's all told in the order it happened.  However, the last act was designed to shock audiences familiar with Doyle's story, as it has a NASTY ending concerning one of the main characters from the original story.

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2024, 08:11:26 AM »

One More
Sherlock Holmes: Hands of a Murderer» directed by Stuart Orme. Film UK 1990. Edward Woodward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4hrsQf8CB0

Edward Woodward as Sherlock Holmes and John Hillerman as Dr. John H. Watson.
Anthony Andrews - Moriarety
Peter Jeffrey
Warren Clarke 

ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2024, 04:04:03 AM »

Just sent to MPI Home Video:

https://www.mpihomevideo.com/pages/contact-us

"THE COMPLETE SHERLOCK HOLMES" dvd box is one of my favorite items.  I've watched all 14 films 3 times already, and am now on my 4th go-round.

The restorations of the 12 Universal films are fabulous.  Also, "HOUND" (1939) looks fantastic.

However, "ADVENTURES" (1939) is noticably WAY TOO DARK in some places, notably when the gaucho is stalking Ann Brandon & the entire climax at the Tower Of London.  You can barely see anything!  There's also very-visible damage in those same sections.

I just feel somebody needs to do an extensive restoration of that one film.  And, if it ever gets done, there should be some way for customers who already have the full box to get the upgrade as a replacement disc.

As an aside, there's a rumor among some reviews that the Blu-Ray version of the box does NOT have the 12 restorations the DVD box has.  I find that difficult to believe.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2024, 07:34:05 PM »

Well, my huge, massive, chronological movie mega-marathon has finally reached this popular classic-of-sorts...

THE HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES (1959)

Apart from SCREWING with the story and the characters virtually for the entire length of the movie, I find myself really wondering. WHO the hell is responsible for CUTTING out the ONE second where Cecile is seen FALLING into the mire, that IS THERE in the trailer??? (at 1:52) In the film, you see her running, they cut away, then they cut back, and she's sinking.

This reminds me of the one second in HORROR OF DRACULA where Dracula is seen CROSSING the room to get his hands on Van Helsing's throat. That's also in the trailer, but NOT the finished film. Strange editing choices. In DRACULA, it sped up the action, but in HOUND, it just made things more confusing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNdqKV3-DRQ
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2024, 03:35:49 AM »

I'm sure a lot of people have noted just HOW MANY little details from "The Hound Of The Baskervilles" turned up in THE SCARLET CLAW, from the foggy marsh, a legend recreated to deflect suspicion from a human murderer, said murderer living in the area under an assumed name, a viscious dog, Holmes having Watson investigate while he's gone off elsewhere, Holmes telling a potential victim he must do something to avoid living in fear for the rest of his life, Holmes & Watson pretending to leave the area to make the killer over-confident... this is virtually a loose adaptation of "Hound" in its own way!

Tonight, as I was mentally adding up these things while watching, another one crossed my mind that had escaped me before.  At the climax, BOTH Holmes AND the murderer are together-- IN DISGUISE! This happened in the 1914 DER HUND VON BASKERVILLE, which itself was based on an earlier stage play.  In the 1914 film, it's hilarious when, not for the first time, the murderer shows up disguised as Holmes, who he thinks he's disposed of... when, suddenly, "Stapleton" arrives for a visit-- except, it's really Holmes in disguise, deliberately taunting his prey.

The 1914 film is in the same package as the 1929 HOUND.  I love 'em both, in different ways.
ip icon Logged

profh0011

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2024, 03:02:56 AM »

THE ADVENTURES OF SHERLOCK HOLMES   (1939)
The Influences Of Sherlock Holmes     (6 of 10)

Lots of people over the decades have complained that Fox’s 1939 “ADVENTURES” has very little to do with William Gillette’s 1899 stage play.  Fair enough.  But no one—not even Scarlet Street magazine’s late editor Richard Valley, a Holmes movie expert if ever I saw one, seemed aware of what it actually was!  Growing up, the Rathbone films were the earliest HOLMES stories I ever saw. But now, collecting DVDs, a whole new world has been opening up to me.  In the last year, I not only saw the 1916 William Gillette film adaptation of his own play, but also the greatly-expanded 1922 remake of it with John Barrymore.

But I've also seen the 1932 Clive Brook film "SHERLOCK HOLMES", which, it turns out, is a direct SEQUEL to the story in the stage play.  And, whatta ya know? It suddenly became obvious to me that, if anything, the 1939 "ADVENTURES" film is actually a very loose REMAKE of that! 

Both films were made by Fox.  Both open with Moriarty in the dock for previous crimes.  But while he’s acquitted at the last minute in the ’39 film, the ’32 film has him sent to prison, after he threatens to murder the 3 people responsible for putting him there.  Soon he breaks jail, murders the judge, and then hatches a scheme to frame Holmes for murdering the Scotland Yard inspector he was a rival of. Once Holmes has been arrested, he invites a whole gang of foreign criminals to run riot looting London, some of them "Chicago gangland" style-- as a DIVERSION for the REAL crime, robbing The Bank Of England.

I knew decades ago from a Scarlet Street article that there was a lot missing from the finished film.  For decades, my impression was that Moriarty somehow learned of the murder of Ann Brandon’s father ten years earlier, and recreated the circumstances purely as a diversion.  But according to Richard Valley’s audio commentary, Mateo, the guy with the bolas who killed Ann’s brother and tried to kill her, wasn’t hired by Moriarty, he actually was her father's killer, who had sought out Moriarty’s help in finding them.  This was very similar to how in the 1935 Arthur Wontner film, “THE TRIUMPH OF SHERLOCK HOLMES” (an adaptation of “The Valley Of Fear”), Moriarty is consulted to help a vengeful member of the Scowrers mob get revenge on Pinkerton man Birdie Edwards. In that light, it seems more likely Mateo came to Moriarty seeking help, and Moriarty decided to take advantage of it as a diversion.  What a HELL of a thing for Fox to leave out of the finished film!  It's akin to the vandalism MGM performed against Dan Curtis' “NIGHT OF DARK SHADOWS”.

The climax, Holmes chasing Moriarty around a tower before the latter falls to his death, is also swiped from Wontner's "TRIUMPH", while Watson getting the final line, "Elementary, my dear Holmes!" comes from Wontner's "THE SIGN OF FOUR" in 1932.

Oddly enough, a key moment from “The Hound of the Baskervilles”, where Holmes tells Sir Henry he must do what Holmes says, no matter how risky, or he’ll end up living the rest of his life in the shadow of death, was missing, like so many other elements were, from Fox’s “HOUND”, yet turned up almost verbatim in “ADVENTURES” with his instructions to Ann.  It’s like this movie’s story wasn’t written, it was constructed.

I can’t end without mentioning Ida Lupino.  I’ve admired her work for decades, but I really fell for her watching 1939’s “THE LONE WOLF SPY HUNT”.  That film, made just before this one, was apparently the last time she played a light-hearted role, and “ADVENTURES” was her transition into more serious parts.  I need to see more of her early films.  I liked seeing her smiling.

So, if anyone’s ever watched “ADVENTURES” and felt like they were missing a key plot point or two… you were!

Addendum: 4-6-2024
The MPI SHERLOCK HOLMES box with all 14 Rathbone-Bruce films has all 12 Universals stunningly restored so they look better than they have in my lifetime. But the 2 Fox films have not been, presumably, as someone felt they didn't need to be. But in my opinion, "ADVENTURES" seriously needs restoration. Most of it looks stunning. However, the last reel or so-- from the moment the soldiers arrive with the Star of Delhi at The Tower, the entire rest of the film is SO DARK you can barely see what you're looking at. I discovered this week that if I crank my TV's contrast all the way up to "100" and also increase the brightness 3 points, the last section of the film is MUCH clearer. But I shouldn't have to do that in the middle of watching a film. Tonight, I dug out my VHS copy of a rental from the 90s, and confirmed that while the entire film is somewhat faded & fuzzy, that entire last section is MUCH brighter, and you can see every detail almost blotted out on the MPI DVD. (There's also the IDENTICAL bit of damage-- a pair of wide vertical lines on the right side-- early in the "Tower" sequence, which means the old rental and the source of the MPI disc were in fact the SAME print!) I wish MPI would go back and fix this one film, then offer it free to existing customers (perhaps in a trade-- it's been done with one book I know that was printed badly).

Also, in the realm of pure trivia: I finally noticed that BOTH William Austin AND Eric Wilton have cameos in this film-- that's BOTH "Alfred Beagle"s from the 1943 and 1949 BATMAN films. (Austin plays a confused passery-by, Wilton plays Lady Cunningham's butler!)
   (1-27-2022  /  4-6-2024)
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.