in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Behind the Scenes

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Behind the Scenes  (Read 8324 times)

Janus Wolf

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Behind the Scenes
« on: June 22, 2010, 05:07:55 AM »

My apologies, its been awhile since I have posted, work, family and school take up alot of time. My thanks to Boox909 and Narfstar for making sure we are on track.

In terms of the site, here is some updates

1) I will be updating some administrative items on the site Tuesday night (June 22). I have a spreadsheet on some items I keep track off.
2) The new site has some bugs and is scheduled for beta testing by the end of June (its been delayed twice now, but progress has been made)
3) We have a new main logo, and will most likely keep the GAC-UK logo unless we have an artists here that would like to do it.
4) We have an ebook teaching how to draw the main logo characters and if that goes well, some PD superheroes next
5) We do have someone on board to do a new comic reader for GAC-UK  like CDisplay/ComicRack - progress should be seen maybe this Friday...(lets see)
6) I have an old program I helped make 2 years ago, that cut out chracters from comics and you could add new word balloons...(it traced out images and you could cut them and place them in different backgrounds etc.) We will see if this program will be revisted. Basically you could make your own PD comic (ebook) from cut outs and work balloons - no drawing skill neccessary.
7) Some testing on Ipad, we have this old RW Script that is something we are debating on getting rid of, because it confuses the Ipad...

Please do email me directly, i do read everything, sometimes I am on the road or doing another task. But I wanted to advise that progress is being made.

Cheers,

Janus
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Behind the Scenes
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 03:37:56 PM »

Exciting updates! Thanks Janus!  ;D ;D ;D
ip icon Logged

thaibites

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: thaibites
message icon
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 12:00:39 PM »

My God!  I haven't visited this site in quite a while, and now when I return it's like a nightmare.  You ask what we would like from this site...how about the ability to download a comic book to read?  Every book I have tried to dl won't work.  It's really frustrating and makes this site completely useless.  Talking about old comics is nice, but READING them is what it's all about.  I don't know what your situation is, and I apologize for complaining.  Please make the site functional again!
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 01:25:01 PM »

My God!  I haven't visited this site in quite a while, and now when I return it's like a nightmare.  You ask what we would like from this site...how about the ability to download a comic book to read?  Every book I have tried to dl won't work.  It's really frustrating and makes this site completely useless.  Talking about old comics is nice, but READING them is what it's all about.  I don't know what your situation is, and I apologize for complaining.  Please make the site functional again!

thaibites,

What is most disheartening to me, is that you swooped in just to complain.

You did not make any effort to read the help section.

If you had, you would have known that in the time since your last visit that some of the older accounts required a push from moderators, due to the bumps and bruising of time upon the system.

You simply return to the site to shiite upon everyone who has ever contributed to the effort to keep GAC-UK one of the best and friendliest places on the net.

You owe the community here an apology.

Boox909
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2010, 04:04:41 AM »

I agree.

The vast majority of members here are simply amazing, appreciative, cooperative and thankful for all the work that we all do to keep sites like this alive. There are potentially many changes on the way, and we all have lives outside of this site.

This is all done by volunteers and for the love and passion of this medium.

Usually and its my experience, there are always a bunch that have demands, expectations, wants and forget that people actually , spend time and energy to run this. Lets not forget the costs that go with this. Again, usually, the members that have these high demands usually never contribute anything, but complaints. Not the kind of contribution that helps the site, nor anything anyone wants to read.

While this message has an "apology" in it, its the context that you write it that makes many us rethink some of the functions here. As I have stated the majority here are awsome! It is this minority with these overtones in messages that we all grow weary of, especially when monitoring the CPU.

A simple how are things going? Is more useful then expressing your emotions here. How about this...and it may stun some, but ask the question before you share your emotions of -  How can I help out here? We can give you some volunteer roles that everyone would appreciate here.

However, do not worry your concern has been noted and changes will be made for the benefit of everyone on the site, and future members of the site.

Cheers,

Janus

thaibites,

If you had, you would have known that in the time since your last visit that some of the older accounts required a push from moderators, due to the bumps and bruising of time upon the system.

You simply return to the site to shiite upon everyone who has ever contributed to the effort to keep GAC-UK one of the best and friendliest places on the net.

Boox909

« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:16:52 AM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged

thaibites

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: thaibites
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 11:37:36 AM »

Dear Boox 909 and Janus of Latium,

OK, now I'm really angry.  You wanna know what's disheartening?

It's disheartening that we are expected to come groveling to you to be allowed to dl comics after we have already gone through your registration process and jumped through all the hoops.  (Didn't have to come to you to write this, did I?)

It's disheartening that both of you wasted your time whining about my post instead of using that time to make your website more user friendly.  Why couldn't you direct me to the area that I needed to look at to be able to dl again, instead of lamenting how horrible I was?

It's disheartening to see the plethora of posts with people in the same position as I am, where they need help on how to dl.  It's pathetic.  Couldn't you have alerted us by e-mail or posted something at the top of your homepage to direct people to get the help they need?

It's disheartening that both of you are so thin-skinned.  I said in my original post "Sorry for complaining
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 11:41:37 AM by thaibites »
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

thaibites,

Thank you for your reply.

It reminds me that I should focus my energies on the overwhelming majority of GAC-UK members that actually want to be here.

To those members, I tender a sincere 'thank you' and assure you that the best is yet to come for our community.

Seriously!  ;D

B.

ip icon Logged

deni

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 03:21:43 AM »

I read Thaibites comments on this page.

Sure its a bit frustrating at times, but this is a FREE site.
And the more I read in the message boards, the more I become aware of just how much time and effort is being put in to keeping the site going as smoothly as possible. 

Just thought I would give another view point.     
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 03:30:58 AM »

I read Thaibites comments on this page.

Sure its a bit frustrating at times, but this is a FREE site.
And the more I read in the message boards, the more I become aware of just how much time and effort is being put in to keeping the site going as smoothly as possible. 

Just thought I would give another view point.     

Thank you Deni.

We do try...if I had the full spectrum of my meta-powers I could attend to the forum in my sleep, but God doesn't trust me to always play nice, and so...  ;D

B.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:49 AM »

How anyone could imagine that we want to do all the extra work to get them set up as if we got a thrill out making them ask. We do not want anyone to beg. It is not automated we need a simple request. We appreciate a thank you. We thank all those who have shown their appreciation we appreciate the community here.
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 04:27:26 AM »

I'll put in my thanks, too, guys.
You can never please everyone. And always remember that when you wrestle with pigs, you both get muddy - and the pigs like it.

Stay cool and thanks.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 06:40:38 PM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

Words to live by....I think this just about sums it up.

cheers,

Janus

I'll put in my thanks, too, guys.
You can never please everyone. And always remember that when you wrestle with pigs, you both get muddy - and the pigs like it.

Stay cool and thanks.

ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 04:02:59 AM »

Looks like in one weeks time the new beta site will be ready for our testing. Among other things the goal is to automate some features and providers moderators with additional features.

Cheers,

Janus

ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2010, 12:23:29 PM »

Yeah
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2010, 01:41:49 PM »

Looks like in one weeks time the new beta site will be ready for our testing. Among other things the goal is to automate some features and providers moderators with additional features.

Cheers,

Janus

Looking forward to the awesome changes that are coming!  ;D
ip icon Logged

jeffcannell

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »

So grateful for this site- Scanning Golden Age Comics is difficult- I have only done one so-far- But nowhere near as difficult as running this site. Thank-you for all that all of you do to preserve our comics heritage!!

Best,

Jeff
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 01:32:48 AM »

appreciation appreciated Jeff
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2010, 04:08:58 AM »

Thanks Jeff!

Janus

So grateful for this site- Scanning Golden Age Comics is difficult- I have only done one so-far- But nowhere near as difficult as running this site. Thank-you for all that all of you do to preserve our comics heritage!!

Best,

Jeff
ip icon Logged

Silverbird

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Silverbird
message icon
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2010, 08:55:11 PM »

thaibites,

Boox909

Hello,
I too have not visited in quite some time and I have visited the help area and I am unable to find anything about how I can download. There is no obvious moderator at the download section and I don't know how to get one to "bump" me or even what that means.
You have certainly not adressed this valid complaint from visitors who are simply trying to use your site.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

message icon
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2010, 12:01:31 AM »

thaibites,

Boox909

Hello,
I too have not visited in quite some time and I have visited the help area and I am unable to find anything about how I can download. There is no obvious moderator at the download section and I don't know how to get one to "bump" me or even what that means.
You have certainly not adressed this valid complaint from visitors who are simply trying to use your site.

It really isn't that obvious, guys. I know we think " Re: HELP!!! I JUST SIGNED UP AND CAN'T DOWNLOAD!!!" is effective, but not nearly as effective as "HERE'S WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO START DOWNLOADING."

I know that I was confused at the beginning.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 12:04:30 AM by JVJ »
ip icon Logged

Janus Wolf

message icon
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2010, 02:55:07 AM »

Thanks, Hopefully in a weeks time the beta site will be ready.
Cheers,

Janus
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 03:10:35 AM by Janus of Latium »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.