in house dollar bill thumbnail
In-House Image
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #270 - Great Comics #3 and Choice Comics #3

Pages: 1 [2] 3

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #270 - Great Comics #3 and Choice Comics #3  (Read 3736 times)

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
Re: Reading Group #270 - Great Comics #3 and Choice Comics #3
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 01:29:27 AM »

Some artists do get the idea that a villain whose face you never see is scarier than the most gruesome deformities.

But of course! That way its all in your imagination - and way scarier than any drawing.
Gold Key's Dr Solar had a villain, Nuro. You only saw his hands and he was always stroking a white cat.

And while I'm on that, Dr Doom way precedes Darth Vader.
cheers!

Thanks Panther. I have fond memories of Dr Solar, I must've caught at least one Fujitani ish as I remember the cover for #5 (Bob's last issue.) I also remember #6 by the cover tho' no memory of Nuro. My Solar - inspired surfing also tells me Fujitani passed in 2020, belated sad news. The net also informs me he had worked with Eisner, which may account for the similarities you noticed in Hangman.

I think the movies have treated Dr Doom very poorly.  In the comics he was a brilliant scientist who had dabbled in the occult, with advanced capabilities in robotics, and a time machine, and he was also sole (despotic) ruler of Latveria. In the movies he was a jealous businessman??  I won't even discuss the "reboot" FF film. I'm waiting for the new MCU version but I kind of expect to be disappointed. I mean I'm quite a fan of Hugo Weaving, but how scary was the Red Skull? I rest my case!

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 04:52:38 AM »

I think the movies have treated Dr Doom very poorly.  In the comics he was a brilliant scientist who had dabbled in the occult, with advanced capabilities in robotics, and a time machine, and he was also sole (despotic) ruler of Latveria. In the movies he was a jealous businessman?? 

Even tho Doom preceded Darth Vader, perhaps the producers of the 90's FF films didn't want to chance a legal challenge from LucasFilm. Disney now owns both LucasFilm and Marvel , so maybe they can do justice to the character. But don't hold your breath. Vader is a wimp compared to Dr Doom.
But the real disappointment [travesty] of the 90's FF films was the second film with the Silver Surfer. Why?
Because the Surfer, when he moved thorough the skies, didn't Surf!
Watch the way the Surfer moves here.
FANTASTIC 4: RISE OF THE SILVER SURFER Clip - "The Silver Surfer vs. US Army" (2007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wj5C5pYeto
That's not surfing!
This is Surfing.
Surf in Santa Cruz CA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjSofLWd4_I
That's grace, power, skill.
Imagine the film if they had depicted the Surfer moving through air like that!
The guy is powerful, cosmic, awesome.
Not in this film.
Imagine if,
We first see him gliding down the sky on a thunder-storm front.
Oh, and some great surf music in the background. Ennio Morricone style!

Cheers!
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:20:38 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 12:34:16 PM »

Great Comics 3
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=26514

Great Reed Crandall cover.  He might even have an accurate uniform on Hitler.
Futuro KIdnaps Hitler.
The letter on page 1 is a good gag, but also signals that the creators are not taking this one particularly seriously.
The art is great, very arresting. The story is bat(*#% crazy - impossible to take seriously on any level at all.
As for consistency?
' Attack Hitler in his Bavarian Hideout' but then, ' Nimbus just sniffed a Jap army medal Hitler once lost, he wil guide us to Hitler's hideout.' and it never gets any more logical than that.
The plus is that it's all visual action and never stops, but even the art is crazy, you can enjoy just looking at it. I can only relate to it and enjoy it the same way I enjoy good satire like Monty Python.
The thing that grates is the consistent mention of 'the Japs' when there are none in the story. At least Mussolini makes an appearance. [ Eating a plate of Spagetti]
I think the artist had fun.
Khaki Kid
Did the same writer do both stories?
Also a story that starts on the run, is manic, full of energy.
No backstory, but I like it.
The Great Zarro
'I'm proud to be the leader of the great Zarro Victory Club - every young American in my club will help Uncle Sam!'
This is already the second mention of a 'boys' club - Futuro had one too.
Was this genuinely patriotic  or just a way to get  boys to keep reading the comics?
Nothing special or outstanding about this story.
Kid Baghdad
Art - Victor Estenio Pazmino [VEP]

https://www.lambiek.net/artists/p/pazmino_victor.htm
The art for this type of 'comic' story can be very simple and thus deceptive. I think he is quite good.
He is a good visual story-teller and obviously wanted to continue the character and had stories mapped out to do so. 
So, far the most logical and reasonable story in the book.
Madame Strange
Why does a character called the Octopus, have a claw for a hand?
Let me get this straight. She works as a girl reporter, under the name Madame Strange, even before she puts on a costume and goes into action. Why do I get the impression that the writer didn't care much for his creations.
Yet another story that is full of inconsistencies and makes no sense.
All these stories have great splash pages and all the artists did good work. Pity about the writing.
The Lost City.
chapter one
In the DC universe
Bruce Gordon is a scientist whose work lead him to be possessed by the evil demon of vengeance Eclipso. 

Is this where that name came from? Not unlikely.
Obviously, [1942?] TV had been invented and was in the news as Viewscreens feature in two of these stories.
The art is good, the narrative action-packed, but I can't think of much to say about it.
I would have picked this up for the cover.
Cheers!   

« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 11:58:32 PM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 01:29:45 PM »

Choice Comics 03
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=29704
The Lost City
Chapter 2
More of the same. Only one comment. There is no visual 'Lost City' so far only Jungle and Laboratorys and caves. Oh, Well!
Rex the seeing-eye Dog. There was a Rex, Dog character in DC in the 50's.
I liked this story - kept my attention even tho I'm doing this late at night and am sleepy.
One thing.
Page 20 last panel,'Good Lord, a Leopard ... running loose!' 
But the artist doesn't draw a Leopard until panel #4 on the next page?
G-Men Vs. Crime
Reprint or meant for another book?
Efficient, professional and OK.
Shanghai Shea
His off-sider 'Wing Lo' is Chinese but is drawn no differently than the comic book cliche Japanese.
[Pages missing]
Kangaroo Man - from page 3
Well, Kangaroos do make a noise quite similar to rsp! rsp! sort of a repetitive clicking sound.
Page 3 Panel 7. They do fight like that, but they will jump on an opponent, grab shoulders with both fore paws, use leverage to swing the body up and then down and gut the opponent with the large back paws, which are Wolverine sharp.
Rudy Palais  was very good at drawing anatomy in motion for action scenes.
Junior Wizard
More VEP. I enjoyed this, especially the gag with the Hot Dog.
Dreamy Daisy
Basic Alice in Wonderland premise.  Seems to be aimed at a different audience than most of the rest of the book tho.
[Peter, the Pooch] More Vep. This time with some rhyming.
Ad for Great Comcs #3 and #4 on back page. So were this book and Great comics #3 published simultaneously? 
Well, thats all folks, now to think of something new for Monday!
Cheers!       

ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2022, 09:28:41 PM »

There is no visual 'Lost City' so far only Jungle and Laboratorys and caves.

I confess I didn't watch the whole serial, just skimmed through the later chapters. But as far as I was able to tell there was never an exterior shot of the "Lost City." The comic writer and artist could have made one up--they invented Six-Armed Crusher, after all--but didn't bother. Too bad. One of the great things about movie adaptation comics is that a poverty-row feature can have a million-dollar "budget" given the right artist. Examples include Dell's sword-and-sandal adaptations drawn by the likes of Evans, Crandall, and Buscema.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2022, 12:04:32 AM »

But the real disappointment [travesty] of the 90's FF films was the second film with the Silver Surfer. Why?

Oh gee, is that the reason? Not because they thought Doug Jones sounded too gay so they had to get Larry Fishburne to redub the voice? Or because they wimped out of anthropomorphizing Galactus? Or because they kept that cringeworthy "Oh I'm so hot for you right now!" line in for Sue Storm? Or because Dr Doom, evil genius, was still a disgruntled businessman?

Sorry, Panther, I think you might've touched a nerve there!   :D It's a pity, the first FF movie had so much going for it... :'(

I just suspect Disney wants to keep their villains child-friendly and not genuinely terrifying. ::)
And thanks for clearing up that rsp rsp thing!
All the best
K1ngcat
« Last Edit: May 14, 2022, 12:08:47 AM by K1ngcat »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2022, 02:28:33 AM »

Panther, regarding TV: television had always seemed to me like a post-World War II thing. Once I started reading about early TV I was amazed to find that there were multiple regularly-broadcasting television stations in the USA by 1928! The BBC started their experimental station in 1932 and by 1936 broadcast regularly two hours a day, six days a week. The equipment was crude to be sure, but engineers were making fast progress before the War stopped development. Wikipedia has this amusing tidbit about British television:

1 September 1939? The anticipated outbreak of World War II brings television broadcasting at the BBC Television Service to an end at 12:35pm after the broadcast of a Mickey Mouse cartoon, Mickey's Gala Premier, and various sound and vision test signals. It is feared that the VHF waves of television would act as a perfect homing signal for guiding enemy bombers to central London: in any case, the engineers of the television service would be needed for the war effort, particularly for radar. The BBC Television Service will resume its broadcasting with the same Mickey Mouse cartoon after the war in 1946.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2022, 05:35:54 AM »

Panther, regarding TV: television had always seemed to me like a post-World War II thing. Once I started reading about early TV I was amazed to find that there were multiple regularly-broadcasting television stations in the USA by 1928! The BBC started their experimental station in 1932 and by 1936 broadcast regularly two hours a day, six days a week. The equipment was crude to be sure, but engineers were making fast progress before the War stopped development. Wikipedia has this amusing tidbit about British television:

Your first suspicion was more accurate than your reading discovery.  TV in USA absolutely WAS almost totally a post WWII phenomenon, at least for the vast majority of the general public.  We visited family in Chicago during summers and the Christmas/New Year Holiday break.  What I saw there and learned there from the beginning of the 1950s to 1954 was that most families still didn't have television sets in their homes even then, and for those who did there were limited few broadcast hours and not much regular programming.  In Winnipeg, we didn't get a TV in our house until 1955, and we were one of the first families in our neighbourhood to get one.  Of my middle class relatives in Chicago(all successful business owners), the first of them got their TV sets in 1951, and the others, between 1953 and 1954.  None of them had one in 1948, when a trickle of normal households started getting them.  During the late 1920s and 1930 it was a new-fangled experimental technology, with tiny screens and extremely sporadic programming.  People told me they sat and stared at the test pattern, and when there was a broadcast, they watched boring events, such as parades in Yugoslavia and the like.  So, I'm inclined to believe that Television wasn't much more of a part of most lives in USA than it was in Britain before 1948, or so.  And it wasn't normal in a majority of US homes before 1952 or 1953.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2022, 06:08:45 AM »

When I was a youngster , per haps 1955 or so, some elderly relatives we visited invited us to watch the Lone Ranger on their TV.
The TV turned out to resemble an old pre WW2 radio with a tiny(6" or less) round screen  where the dial would have been.
You had to sit close to the screen to see anything.
TV reception was lousy in these mountains back then anyway so the image quality was not much worse than with later more expensive TVs.

This may have been one of the pre WW2 television sets, and likely very expensive back then. So long as it still worked they never gave a thought to upgrading. They were already well into their 80's so buying anything new probably seemed a waste of money.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2022, 04:06:13 PM »

"Vader is a wimp compared to Dr Doom."  Panther.
I can't let that go.  Darth Vader in the first film is wonderfully menacing, evil, powerful, deadly and knocks the socks off most other villains in comics and sf films.  Doctor Doom isn't one of my favourite characters but then, I prefer other companies product from the '60's to that of Marvel. Doesn't mean I don't like Marvel, just that some of it doesn't do it for me. 
There is a hierarchy of villains in my mind and Vader is up there with the, before comics went all nasty and cruel, Joker; the Roger Delgado Master; Moriarty; The Singh Brotherhood; Killing or Kilink; Mocata in The Devil Rides Out film.
These 2 comics were daft imo.  Futuro just didn't make sense although I liked the look of it but I think a couple of speech balloons were badly placed. The "humour" strips weren't humourous.  Not my cup of tea.  And as for that kangaroo!  Give me Six Gun Gorilla every time.
Coincidentally, just before I read these comics, I read a CI, Crime and Punishment drawn b Mr. Palais.  Quite enjoyable but I haven't read the book.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2022, 10:22:37 PM »

Did the comic artists ever draw the Silver Surfer in surfer style movements? I try thinking of comic stories where the Silver Surfer is moving on his board and, except for fights, he's usually drawn 'flying' on an invisible flat surface.
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2022, 01:14:10 AM »

Did the comic artists ever draw the Silver Surfer in surfer style movements?

I do not surf and I'm no expert, but... I think that in the Surfer's earlier appearances at least, Jack Kirby tried to give him surfing-like poses. Exaggerated, of course, because this is comics! However after looking at several "how to surf" sites it looks to me like Jack always put the surfer too far forward on his board. Check this out and see what you think:

https://tutorials.barefootsurftravel.com/articles/proper-surfing-stance/
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2022, 01:16:02 AM »

OK, Vader vs Doom.
if I'm dealing with these characters, I'm not choosing just one story. Vader features in at least 6 movies, Doom in various storylines over more than 50 years.
Doom is a scientist, Dictator, Time-traveller and Black Magic wizard.
Doom has a long-term on-going battle with Hell to rescue his mother.
Kirby and Lee gave Doom a fully-fleshed Origin in FF Annual 2.
He was rotten from the core from day one. But he was also complex.
Vader was originally Anakin Skywalker and gradually went over to the Dark-side.
He fathers two children who become good guys.
He was a nice guy who was weak.
[I know Paw, them's fighting words!  ;D]
'Who was weak' is the key to Darth Vader. That's the way Lucas retconned him.
Was he trying to gain sympathy for Vader? Who knows?
I am one of those who considers the first three movies ( in the story chronology) embarrassingly bad. 
Yes, Some Good moments in all of them.   
Thought, did Lucas read Planet Stories?
Doom was never weak.
Doom never had a 'Luke I am your father' moment. Unimaginable. 
Re the aforementioned FF/Silver Surfer story, in the original, Doom, in full armor, creates a machine [scientist] that robs the Surfer of his power, and he does this physically and no nonsense.
He also has Robot copies of himself which are almost as powerful.
Hey, it just occurred to me, re Jack's other cosmic Villain, Darkseid.( Who is also much more powerful and villainous than Vader)
Anakin went over to the Darkside. Darkseid? hmm.
Was this character Kirby's answer to Lucas's Darth Vader?
You stole Dr Doom. Take that!
Never thought of that before. Interesting?

« Last Edit: May 15, 2022, 01:47:31 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2022, 04:40:21 PM »

Did the comic artists ever draw the Silver Surfer in surfer style movements?

I do not surf and I'm no expert, but... I think that in the Surfer's earlier appearances at least, Jack Kirby tried to give him surfing-like poses. Exaggerated, of course, because this is comics! However after looking at several "how to surf" sites it looks to me like Jack always put the surfer too far forward on his board. Check this out and see what you think:

https://tutorials.barefootsurftravel.com/articles/proper-surfing-stance/

You are quite correct.  The surfer must have most of his weight much closer to the rear of the surfboard, to provide the torque to steer the board in the direction he wants to go, and steer the board at the proper angle at which he or she wants it to meet the water's surface.  IF he ALWAYS placed the surfer very far forward, it would be clear that the artist, Jack Kirby, had not been a surfer, nor even researched enough to learn the physics of the sport.  Standing far forward would be done only to push its head downward to stay in the white water(waves' foam).  We'd have to know if Kirby ever placed The Silver Surfer near the back of his surfboard, to guide the board's head upwards out of the water, or its cosmic equivalent, cosmic dust or whatever forces his surfboard must be navigated through in his travels outside of The Earth's atmosphere.  I've never read "The Silver Surfer", nor ANY superhero stories drawn and published later than the early 1950s.  So, I have no idea about the theories of The Surfer's cosmic surf riding.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:05:12 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2022, 06:47:53 PM »

Well, the power cosmic might have something to do with it.  Eh no?
Does he use the board like a real surfer?  I don't know.  What I do know is he looks great - and he's a comic book character. 
Does The Flash run like a real sprinter?  I don't know, but I like the comics. ;)
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2022, 12:04:34 AM »

I don't know anything about surfing but here's some Kirby Surfers who do seem to be a fair way forward on the board...
https://www.google.com/search?q=silver+surfer+jack+kirby&client=firefox-b-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirgYDO1-L3AhWzolwKHTgKCxgQ_AUIBigB&biw=1280&bih=672

But like paw says if you're just reading comics, he's a great character. If you need to see him looking like he's surfing, then the second FF movie probably isn't the best place to look!  :D

And tho' I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, I allow that first appearances of Vader make him a pretty scary movie villain, something that's never been successfully accomplished with Dr Doom. But the problem is probably in Vader's back story. It's like seeing the face of Dr. Doom, or The Octopus, or even Judge Dredd. The minute you see behind the mask, you lose the mystery.

(Damn you, Stallone! Though the flying Lawmasters didn't help much...)  :(
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2022, 09:01:20 AM »

I don't know anything about surfing but here's some Kirby Surfers who do seem to be a fair way forward on the board...
https://www.google.com/search?q=silver+surfer+jack+kirby&client=firefox-b-m&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwirgYDO1-L3AhWzolwKHTgKCxgQ_AUIBigB&biw=1280&bih=672

But like paw says if you're just reading comics, he's a great character. If you need to see him looking like he's surfing, then the second FF movie probably isn't the best place to look!  :D

And tho' I'm not a big fan of Star Wars, I allow that first appearances of Vader make him a pretty scary movie villain, something that's never been successfully accomplished with Dr Doom. But the problem is probably in Vader's back story. It's like seeing the face of Dr. Doom, or The Octopus, or even Judge Dredd. The minute you see behind the mask, you lose the mystery.

(Damn you, Stallone! Though the flying Lawmasters didn't help much...)  :(

I should have mentioned that there IS a need for being far forward on the board a small percentage of the time surfing.  That is when you are ending your run with one wave, where most of the energy of the wave you've been riding has dissipated, and you are just coming out of the white water, and if you "Walk The Nose" you can push the head of your board downward and stay inside the white water, and catch the power of the follow up wave, and ride that farther in towards the shore.  Kirby shows it being done correctly on the cover that KingCat linked later, showing The Silver Surfer edging forward taking a sideways angle, instead of walking straight forward (which often leads to getting off balance and falling).  If you listened to 1960s Surfing songs by The Beach Boys, Jan and Dean, The Ripchords/Bruce & Terry, The Fantastic Baggys, etc.  you've probably heard the term "Walkin The Nose".  They were doing that at Rincon in The Beach Boys' "Surfin' Safari".
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2022, 12:23:42 PM »

So please you mentioned The Ripchords.  So good.  Also Jan & Dean.  Now I have to find The Fantastic Baggys.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2022, 03:07:39 PM »

I just noticed you guys are looking at these books.

Rangerhouse and I produced a 'Lost City Collection' for his Rangerhouse Archives way back in 2013.
We included several extras including an introduction by Erwin K Roberts and any advertising we could find related to the Lost City serial and movie.

It can be found here -
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=30023

-Yoc
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2022, 03:26:18 PM »

Thanks for the reminder Yoc and for all your work on the project.  I knew we had one but just forgot - age, I suppose.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2022, 05:15:46 PM »

So pleased you mentioned The Ripchords.  So good.  Also Jan & Dean.  Now I have to find The Fantastic Baggys.

Glad you liked US early '60s "Surfing Music".  I'm sure you'd like Bruce and Terry (Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher).  They were The Ripchords.  And The Deltas, Four Kings, and Tokens also sang a few Surf genre songs in The Beachboys' style.  I have some old cassette tapes I made in the 1960s of my beachboys-like Surf songs, but unfortunately, I have no cassette player and no functioning turntable, and no computer program to convert those songs to digital format to send to you.  When I get some extra time, I will try to find as many as I can on You-Tube, and send MP3s of them to you.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2022, 06:15:09 PM »

I had 2 Ripchords singles way back. Living in Scotland, it wasn't the easiest place or time to find old 45's. Occasionally, a wee shop would have a selection of ex juke box records - no centres and all my pals learned how to line them up on the turntable.
I remember my Jan and Dean singles were ex juke box.
I re-found the Ripchords on Spotify. Wonderful but more hot rod than surf.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2022, 11:54:40 PM »

I had 2 Ripchords singles way back. Living in Scotland, it wasn't the easiest place or time to find old 45's. Occasionally, a wee shop would have a selection of ex juke box records - no centres and all my pals learned how to line them up on the turntable.
I remember my Jan and Dean singles were ex juke box.
I re-found the Ripchords on Spotify. Wonderful but more hot rod than surf.

Hot Rod sung in Beach Boys surf style (Just like Beach Boys and Jan and Dean Hot Rod songs).
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2022, 09:01:15 AM »

Better a little late than never.  I will now review Great Comics 3:
"Futuro Kidnaps Hitler"
This unthought out bunch of pages isn't really a "story".  It has very little in the way of character development and setting.  The artwork is interesting, especially the front cover drawn by Reed Crandall, and the story, drawn by Marty Palais, whose artwork I like less than that of the cover, but still find interesting.  Futuro and his US Futurians are invisible travellers from the future, who, because they come from another time, are invisible.  They go to Hitler's hideout in The Bavarian Alps (ostensibly, "The Eagle's Nest" (Berghof near Berchtesgaden) -although almost no background details are shown, not even the outlines of the mountain peaks.  We only see the non-detailed outlines of part of a castle.  The Futurians capture Hitler, and Futuro takes him to Hades (Hell), to show him a preview of what he will face after he will die after his judgement by representatives of all of Humanity.  Unfortunately, we readers don't get to see other Human sinners being tortured, no flames or stench of sulpher.  I think it is amusing that the author uses Futuro's wolfhound's thought balloons t make fun ridiculing Hitler, but it's the same "joke", over and over, only making fun of his foul stench and filthiness.  It is also interesting that a reader of this story who knows nothing about World War II and Hitler's part in it, would think that Hitler deserved to burn in Hell because he managed to entice Japs (Japanese men) to do his dirty work for him, and they made up his army (rather than his own German people).  The basic premise could have been developed into a very nice, coherent, logical story.  But, apparently, the author spent little time thinking about it, and the artist spent little time thinking of how he would stage it, and also spent little time drawing it.  It was long enough, at 15 pages, to develop a decent story plot, with a detailed setting, character development, lots of action leading to a grand showdown at the climax point, and even to have a short epilogue.  But the author dropped the ball. It was interesting to look at the pages, but very disappointing to read.

The Khaki Kid
This is a harmless, well-meaning, cliche story of the young boy who dreams of being a hero, and is jealous of the older boys who are able to join the military and see The World, and face danger, and have the opportunity to behave heroically.  The artwork by Filipino artist, Pagsilang Isip, is good.

The Great Zarro
Zarro is a US Intelligence Officer, assigned to a hidden, secret military base.  But, he travels there wearing a superhero outfit of tights with a skimpy pair of undershorts over them.  Not very smart for an intelligence officer.  Inside a laboratory, the commanding officer (a major) greets him wearing an apron and holding a test tube.  Instantly, the two men are transported by magic back outside, where they see an airplane landing.  The pilot "Rags", is a member of Zarro's Victory Club of patriotic young boys, who had just become old enough to join the military.  He looks only about 15 or 16, so that young teen readers can identify with him and vicariously imagine themselves being a hero like he is.  At that tender age, he has just entered military service, but is already an airplane pilot, and an intelligence officer.  An incredible "phenom" overachiever, and secret weapon to be used against The Axis powers.  Rags' plane was shot down by an enemy plane's gunner, but he repaired it.  So, he's not only a pilot at 16, but an experienced aircraft mechanic, as well.  Impressive young fellow.  The artwork is very good, but the artist is not listed.

Kid Bagdad
This is a very cartoony comedy both written and drawn by Victor Pazmino (VEP).  The story is his typical zany string of animation-style slapstick action, and the artwork features his typical very simple, bouncy, roundish figures.  Normally, I HATE finding VEP stories in my funny animal comic books, like Creston/ACG's and Better/Nedor/Standard publications.  I dislike his artwork and mostly physical, slapstick, gag-driven, plotless stories.  But I have to state that this story has BY FAR, the best artwork I've seen by him, and it has a real, logical storyline, and I enjoyed the rhyming narratives, as well.  I'm very impressed.  It's kind of sad that, amazingly, so far, this story has the most logical and reasonable storyline in this book, so far. 

Madame Strange
An American secret agent posing as a newspaper reporter in Southeast Asia, during the height of World War II sounds a bit far-fetched, especially given that she seems to have the strength of two big men.  Her weapon is a riding crop.  The artwork by Isip is good.  But I think the Octopus' henchmen are too grotesque-looking, to the point of not even looking like Humans.  That demonstrates The Americans' prejudice against non-Caucasians, as Germans were rarely portrayed to that extreme.  I like the location and setting of The Octopus' lair, as a cave inside a hill dominated island inside a volcano's seawater-filled caldera, which can be approached and left unseen by using a submarine.  It was very disappointing to NOT find out why The Octopus got his name, and why he has a metal claw for a hand, and what kind of beings his henchmen were. On the first two pages, they looked just like grotesque Humans.  But on his island, they looked more like inhuman monsters, as if made by Doctor Moreau.  There are several interesting eye-catchers used by the artist (possibly from the author), to grab the interest of the reader, but they were never used in the storyline, leaving the reader with a very disappointed feeling.

The Lost City
This series of episodes has the look and feel of the low-budget, short film serials of the 1930s, that were heavy on fantasy, short on science and logic, and whose background props and costumes looked cheesy and unprofessionally-made as compared to higher-budgeted feature films.  However, I DO like the basic premise of a villain who uses the power of lightening and magnetism to wreak havoc upon the authorities of civilisation, and creating an army of superhumans to do his dirtywork.  The information on how the "living dead men" are possible is missing, which should be made with some pseudo-scientific explanation that sounds, at least, plausible should have been provided.  I think it is funny that the monsters not only are bigger, but they seem to wear bright red lipstick.  Surely such bright red lips can't possibly be natural.  Having an enemy saboteur among the protagonists' group is a good feature to help the suspense.  The reader doesn't find out in this episode why this city, deep in the jungles of Africa is "lost", and why this villain, the last of The Ligurians, a pre-Indo-European people of Europe, were a tribe of "master scientists".  The reader hopes to find out the answers to those questions in future episodes (only one of which was ever published (to my knowledge) in Choice Comics # 3).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 08:48:41 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2022, 09:43:11 AM »

Review of Choice Comics 3:
The Lost City - Episode 2
This episode introduces a "freezing gun" that KILLS electricity!  Interesting.  I wonder how that is supposed to work.  It also introduces "The Six Arms Crusher", a black dead giant with six arms.  I don't like the two extra arms on each side protruding out from the monster's armpits.  I wonder how zapping  a man with high-voltage electricity created that???  I also wonder how that character was portrayed in the serial films.  That was done when special effects were very primitive, and rarely looked even remotely real.  I assume they used cloth-covered wooden, robotic arms connected to a man's body, and, perhaps, an enlarged image of him, superimposed over normal-sized filmed action shots of the other characters, at least for some scenes. 

All in all, the art was good, and made it interesting, and the bright colours were nice, but the contrast was poor, and made it difficult to read, and "The Lost City" was a disappointment compared to what it COULD have been, based on the promising premise.  I absolutely HATE the author and/or artist's or editor's decision to have the story's action flow directly into the advert for the next episode (to appear in Great Comics #4).  It would have been better to have those 2 characters from the story introduce the next episode on a separate page after we've already see the "Continued next month in Great Comics #4" notification on the bottom of the last panel on the preceding page.  This is "breaking the fifth wall", similar to a character talking directly to the audience in a cartoon film.

Rex, The Seeing Eye Dog
Normally, despite being a dog-lover, I don't think talented animal stories are very interesting.  This one had a lot of action, and the artwork was very good.  And the premise of a murderer using a false claw to commit a murder and have it blamed on a dangerous wild circus animal is an interesting storyline. But, even so, I didn't think those good points were enough to make this a very entertaining read.

G-Men vs. Crime
The artwork is good.  I like learning about history with pictures.  This small group of pages is very limiting for the artist to tell a story.  It can only be showing a few important highlights.  I'm glad I wasn't stuck with that assignment with such a small number of pages.  It was basically an advert touting the efficacy and value of The US FBI.

Shanghai Shea - Ace Of The Orient
This story has a lot of good action, and the artwork is good.  But, the episode seemed to end abruptly, with no forward to state "the end", or "continued in next issue".  It feels like the last 2 pages are missing.  And the next story starts at Page 3 ("Kangaroo Man"), missing its first (title page) and second pages. 

Kangaroo Man - With Bingo The Amazing Kangaroo
So, not only do we lose what happened before, jumping in the middle, but we also lose the introduction to the series concept, and what happened in the episode before. That ruins both episodes for me.  I don't like the continuing joke of the author using the super-intelligent kangaroo's thinking to make fun of the villains and interject humour into the action-based story.  Using that joke over and over gets stale pretty quickly.  Palais' artwork is okay, but his figures (both Human, and animal, are too elongated for my taste.

The rest of the book's stories, is made up of short cartoons by Victor Pazmino (it still bugs me that this website can't recognise foreign characters, so I can't use the tilda in "Pazminho"/Pazmignio), and "Speedy, by Jack West.  None of them are memorable, either for their humour or artwork.

Junior Wizard
The premise of a shrinking pill is decent, but it wasn't used in a clever way.  The Junior Wizard's scientist father looked almost exactly the same as the scientist villain.

Speedy
Both unfunny, slapstick, cliche gags, stretched out to 2 pages.

Dreamy Daisy
A decent concept for a newspaper-style one-page comedy Sunday strip, and this one had a nice agitated nightmare mood to it.  But, this kind of humour cannot support 6 pages.  Also, the rhyming lines were a nice touch, but I think the gag/"story" should be all one style (e.g. all rhyming, or no rhyming.  Only rhyming part  that can be done easily and dropping it in other places doesn't work for me.

Peter The Pooch
This one by VEP has more of a Nursery Rhyme/Folktale feel to it, as ALL of the narrative boxes use rhyming.
I wonder if Pazmino sued Milt Gross when the latter started his "Pete The Pooch" comic strip about 5 years later?  Or, maybe Gross just bought the rights to use the name from VEP, as the latter no longer intended to draw his "Peter The Pooch" strip after the 5-year hiatus.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 04:47:30 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.