in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Illustrated Stories of the Operas

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Illustrated Stories of the Operas  (Read 772 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Illustrated Stories of the Operas
« on: May 15, 2022, 05:22:30 PM »

In researching old newspaper strips I ran across mentions of a 1943 comic book series, Illustrated Stories of the Operas. There were four issues which adapted Carmen, Faust, Rigoletto, and Aida. I found slabbed copies of three of them on the Heritage Auctions site where they sold for $600 and up. Little information is available. Heritage has only Price Guide info. The GCDB says they were perfect bound with color covers (actually black plus one color) and black-and-white interiors. They sold for 25 cents. No page count or creator information is given.

Has anyone ever seen one of these comics? The publisher, Bernard Baily (creator of The Spectre) ran a comic art shop and was involved with a number of publishing ventures. His company published Cisco Kid, which we have on site. An adaptation of Faust appeared there under the "Illustrated Stories of the Operas" title but this is a six-pager and probably not from the 1943 comic. Baily seems to have been fixated on opera adaptations. In 1949 Editor and Publisher listed a newspaper strip, Stories of the Opera, with Baily's byline. Though offered by the Bell Syndicate it doesn't seem to have been picked up by any newspapers.

Anybody have info about these rarities?
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Illustrated Stories of the Operas
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2022, 01:35:44 AM »

in more recent times, P Craig Russel has gone in that direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P._Craig_Russell

Beginning in 2000, Dark Horse Comics published Russell's adaptation of Richard Wagner's operatic cycle, The Ring of the Nibelung as 14 comic books; in 2001, the series won two Eisner Awards: for Best Finite Series/Limited Series, and for Best Artist/Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team. The series since been published as a single-volume hardcover book.[15] He has adapted the fairy tales of Oscar Wilde into comic-book albums from NBM Publishing.[6]
ip icon Logged

crashryan

message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2022, 02:55:23 AM »

Yes, I've seen Russell's opera adaptations. Lovely work! There were a couple of opera adaptations from Italy (Othello and Aida) drawn by Pierre Frisano that were also quite nice. I'm interested in Bernard Baily's books partly because I want to know if the newspaper strip ever materialized and partly because the guy had such a wide-ranging career. I never cared much for his art, especially in his later days working on DC's second string weird magazines, but he sounds like a guy who was always hustling to find the next deal. He never quite connected, though. He did give us such fascinating characters as the evil Funnyman, Mr Lucifer, and Bertie Bat.
ip icon Logged

cap12xx

message icon
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2023, 11:51:44 AM »

Hi there - yes, I uploaded to YOC yesterday Illustrated Stories of the Opera:  Faust.  Really great book.  Hopefully it is available in the next few days if it is not up already.
ip icon Logged

Yoc

message icon
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2023, 03:39:43 PM »

Cap's book is now up for reading on DCM.
It's waiting to be approved by a staffer here on CB+

Many thanks to Cap for sharing this oddball book with everyone!
:D
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2023, 06:35:52 PM »

I just finished reading Baily's 20-page version of "Faust" on DCM.  I think the artwork is fabulous.  Did Bernard Baily draw it himself?  It's a very brief version, with a lot missing.  It would have been a lot nicer taking up most of a 36 or even 52-page book, rather than 17 of 20.  The full-colour front cover is very high quality.  The 25ยข price seems quite high for a mere 20 pages in 1948.  No doubt that scared away many potential purchasers.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.