in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Reading Group #271 Bat Masterson 2 FourColour 0675

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Reading Group #271 Bat Masterson 2 FourColour 0675  (Read 2814 times)

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Reading Group #271 Bat Masterson 2 FourColour 0675
« on: May 17, 2022, 12:14:44 AM »

Some very nice Dell Western Eye Candy for you

Bat Masterson 2
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=38913

Four Colour 0675 - Steve Donovan Western Marshall
https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=34869

Enjoy
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Reading Group #271 Bat Masterson 2 FourColour 0675
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 01:39:19 PM »

I love Dell westerns and the Bat Masterson is a good read, especially the first story.  There are some atmospheric panels - see our page 7, and well laid out panels that let the eye follow the action effortlessly, imo.  The 2nd Masterson story.  Again some nice panels, good action.  All very pleasing.  Thank you.
Steve Donovan.  Despite lovely art and, at times, good action, the story didn't appeal to me as much. The characters seemed to be one thing then another.  Perhaps I prefer them good or bad.
I wish certain modern day comic book artists would take a look at this quality of book and have a word with themselves.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 06:53:34 PM »

I can see Reading Group #271 on my screen.  So, there should be no problem with members finding it to post.  In looking at these 2 Dell Western comics, I've enjoyed the high-quality of the artwork.  I'm going to enjoy reading these stories. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 07:50:31 AM »

The more I think about it, I see a comparison with the ranchers in Steve Donovan and the men Burt Lancaster goes after in Lawman.  But I need to watch Lawman again, just in case I'm havering ::)0
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 11:28:29 AM »

Woohoo! A western! I look forward to this.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 12:28:48 PM »

Raymond Kinstler later specialized as a Portrait painter.
On page #9 of 0675 - Steve Donovan Western Marshall - panel #3 - I am sure he has used RANDOLPH SCOTT as his model for Steve Donovan. This is the only full-frontal image of Donovan in the book, but It looks to me as if he kept to Scott as his template through the rest of the story. 
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 05:57:51 AM »

Bat Masterson #2

The Lead Souvenir - Not one of Gaylord's better stories, feels like he wrote it in a hurry, hero comes across wounded crook, performs back surgery in a non-sterile environment, crook regains use of his legs and doesn't die of infection and warns hero of criminal plot, yeahhhhhh...

Animal Friend - One page really isn't enough room to build the friendship of man and animal to a believable point.

The Red Hot Ringer - Sounds like the name of a Green Lantern knock-off.  ;) Kind of a fun 'odd detective' type story.

The Vanishing Gandy Dancers - A much better & entertaining story than the first one.  :)

Roaring Towns/Landmarks of the Old West - Interesting factoids.
ip icon Logged

Morgus

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2022, 08:19:42 PM »

Two DELL westerns. Great way to spend an afternoon.

I like the way the STEVEN DONOVAN issue goes literally to the LAST PAGE to get the work done. And yeah, Australian Panther, he DOES look like Randolph Scoot. The art work itself reminds me of the drawings they used to have on the front plates of adventure books from the turn of the last century.

BAT MASTERSON is always fun and they did a good job of drawing Gene Berry through the run. Sometimes, and this is one of them, they got themselves a sort of Alex Toth vibe going with the artwork.

And DELL COMICS ARE GOOD COMICS still makes me laugh.

ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2022, 09:25:14 PM »

Bat Masterson #2

The Lead Souvenir - Not one of Gaylord's better stories, feels like he wrote it in a hurry, hero comes across wounded crook, performs back surgery in a non-sterile environment, crook regains use of his legs and doesn't die of infection and warns hero of criminal plot, yeahhhhhh...

Odds of surviving surgery under such conditions were not good but I've read a few manuals written by post Civil War army surgeons that reveal just how hardy humans could be back then. There were few if any antibiotics or disinfectants but there were also fewer types of germs to deal with once you left the cities especially in the arid conditions of the south west. The same was noted by British army surgeons during the Boer Wars.
If a lead bullet was in contact with living bones "lead poisoning" was a death sentence unless the bullet was removed quickly. If the bullet were buried in flesh only it was soon covered by a encapsulating scar tissue that isolated the toxic metal from the blood stream. People often survived many decades with bullets buried in the flesh.
Solid Lead itself is only mildly toxic but in contact with bone very toxic compounds form.

PS
A common method of reducing risks of gangreene was to place maggots in the wound before bandaging. Maggots ate only the dead purescent flesh leaving living flesh untouched.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 09:29:22 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2022, 11:02:41 PM »

Four Color #675

Okay story and art.

I assume the shooting the guns out of hands rather than shooting to kill was a Steve Donovan show thing the writer duplicated. Hmmm... all those bullets flying around and the only thing killed in the story was a dog??? Okayyyyyyyy...
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2022, 11:07:30 PM »

Thanks, Captain Audio.

I hadn't heard about the problems of lead against bone. That's interesting. As was the info about disease and arid conditions.

I did wonder if Bat had poured alcohol over the wound to sterilize it, but that's all I knew about older field surgery.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 12:21:36 AM »

all those bullets flying around and the only thing killed in the story was a dog???   

That sort of thing is even more ridiculous when they do it in movies and TV shows and not just on the printed page.

Currently in movies, they have uppped the gunpower but they still don't hit anything unless the script requires it. So half a dozen people can be seen having a gun fight with semi-automatic submachinegun weapons, but none of the 'stars' ever get hit. NCIS Los Angeles - back when I used to watch it - depicted this in every episode.       
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 03:16:17 AM »

Bat Masterson #2

As media adaptations go, this book is a fine example of what Dell did best.

The artwork is top notch from beginning to end. Great figure drawing, characterization, and action. Well thought-out backgrounds. Excellent use of lighting and shadows. I was surprised to see the pencil work credited to Bob Forgione. I'd thought it was all Jerry Robinson. Fact is, though I've seen lots of Forgione artwork (usually inked by Jack Abel) I've never been able to get a handle on his style. The figures and faces (especially the long noses) look like Robinson to me. At any rate the art serves the story well, with few shortcuts and strong likenesses.

The stories are pretty good. I preferred the second one because DuBois put some effort into humanizing the supporting characters. One quibble: we're told Bat speaks the Cheyenne language, so presumably whenever the Chief talks to Bat he converses in Cheyenne. So why does he still leave out his definite articles and mix up his tenses? Ugh.

The first story isn't bad. Hardy humans or not, I found it difficult to accept that Bat digs a bullet out of a man along the trail, and the fellow is immediately able to resume his previous life. I'd think he'd need some time to recuperate from a spinal cord injury.

If I have one complaint with Dell authors it's that their stories could be too efficient. Their plotting was generally good. But unlike many comics writers who loaded their panels with dialogue, Dell authors often provided just enough dialogue to move the story. When overdone this made dialogue sound telegraphic. Paul S. Newman did this most often, especially when he began writing for Gold Key. I'm sure GK must have had a strict words-per-balloon limit in the early days. Some stories had barely half-a-dozen words in any given balloon. Perhaps this was part of their attempt to make their comics more storybook-like, which included square balloons and borderless panels separated by colored bars. In the case of this particular comic, though, I feel DuBois hit the right balance between words and pictures.

Steve Donovan, Western Marshal

I vaguely remember seeing an episode of this series when I was very young. IMDB tells me it was an independent syndicated series that ran a single season. Douglas Kennedy (Donovan) played supporting roles and an occasional B-movie lead. Rusty was played by Eddy Waller, who acted in countless Republic Westerns and was Rocky Lane's regular sidekick.

I liked it when Dell ran full-issue stories. 34 big, roomy pages, with the extra treat of seeing how the artist looked in black-and-white (even back then I was fascinated with b&w pen-and-ink work). It did mean that you were shafted if you got a coverless copy. The writers played the story right out to the last page. That said, authors tended to use the extra space for more action rather than subplots or characterization. This is why adaptations of (good) feature films with more complex plots were often the best reads.

The story here is okay, though bad guy Bent's change of heart is way too sudden. His impassioned speech on the next-to-last page is hard to swallow given how he'd behaved up till then. I would have preferred either (a) he admits grudgingly that Donovan has beat him and agrees to toe the line or (b) some earlier incident starts him rethinking his position and the fallout from the big stampede finally makes him see the light.

Anyone who endures my comments knows that I'm a huge fan of Everett Raymond Kinstler. Seeing these two comics together forced me to recognize his tendency to cop out and take shortcuts. If the script calls for too many characters he'll either pull the camera wayyyyy back so everyone is a doodle, or push it so far in that he only has to draw a hand or a head. He frequently cheats his backgrounds. He just draws so darned good that most of the time nobody notices.

On our page 21 (the big saloon fire) his laziness torpedoes the story. In panel one we do see the burning building. But other than a pair of foreground legs, there's no sign of the crowd that is forming, the people Donovan commands to "form a bucket brigade." That's the last time we see the saloon. Donovan tells someone to "bring up those other water barrels" but all we see are two barrels and the background silhouette of a few cowboys who seem to be standing around. Panel three is beautifully rendered. It helps the look of the page. In the final two panels we mostly see only vague smoky shapes. I've no idea what the blobby grey thing in the last panel is. Surely we should see some of the ruins of the building.

Let me say that despite all this we get more story than half a dozen ordinary Western comics and--again--Kinstler draws so darned well!

By the way, the guns shot out of hands are prime "Pledge to Parents" material. People did get shot, especially in movie adaptations, but on the whole 1950s Dell kept the gun violence limited. Plenty of people got beat up, though.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2022, 12:54:50 AM »

Bat Masterson

The art's agreeable, and tidy. But I have trouble swallowing the plot. First Bat comes across a wounded outlaw who complains his legs aren't working. So the first thing Bat does is turn him over, the way you do with spinal injuries, and attempt surgery without a hint of anaesthetic. Then he pries the bullet out of the guy's spine and lo and behold he's up on his feet again?   ???

Later, when Bat visits the Marshal, he's accused of being a friend of crooks, though unless the lawman is aware of the first part of the story, for which there's no obvious evidence, then there's no reason for his ire.

And though I can understand that the gang could've stolen the spare cane, they'd need to have also stolen another one of Bat's suit and hat ensembles, and found a gang member who'd pass as a doppelganger. When the Marshal comes upon the two Bats fighting, he chooses to shoot the one who's losing, which seems fairly arbitrary to me. 

The four-pager with the Blacksmith hangs together a bit better, and is mildly amusing even though you can soon see where it's going.

Then we're back to Bat and his Gandy Dancers.  The name refers to the missing railroad workers, though there's nothing to tell you that. Otherwise the plot seems a little more straightforward than the first story, though I'm uncertain how easy it would be to drug and kidnap fifty workmen, and keep it quiet. I'm also confused by the constant using of the William Barclay Masterson handle when it's the Bartholomew before that which gives him the nickname Bat.

Steve Donovan

I enjoyed this a little more perhaps because it was a full-issue story, though I did have trouble keeping up with whose cattle were whose. Minor inconsistencies included the first Sheriff we meet describing Spur as a town with no law, though it does have a Sheriff, just not a very heroic one. But miraculously, having once been shot, the next time we meet him, he's been promoted to Marshal.  :o Bent seems to acquiesce a little too easily at the end, and five'll get you ten that the minute Donovan moves on, the cattlemen forget about how well they've been "trained" and start shooting up the lawman again. Nice Kinstler art but nowhere near as nice as it could've been.

I have to say, I'm not a massive fan of Westerns in any form, except for Arizona Raines, I grew up reading him in UK reprints. It was an interesting change of pace, but I don't think I'll be reading any more for a good long while.  ;)

All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 08:36:30 PM »

I'm looking for a guest host to choose the book or books to review for next fortnight.  Please PM me and also Australian Panther if you want to be the chooser next Monday, May 30th.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2022, 11:44:13 PM »

I've put correspondence in place, regarding this. Taken care of.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2022, 04:38:58 AM »

x

Steve Donovan

I enjoyed this a little more perhaps because it was a full-issue story, though I did have trouble keeping up with whose cattle were whose. Minor inconsistencies included the first Sheriff we meet describing Spur as a town with no law, though it does have a Sheriff, just not a very heroic one. But miraculously, having once been shot, the next time we meet him, he's been promoted to Marshal.  :o Bent seems to acquiesce a little too easily at the end, and five'll get you ten that the minute Donovan moves on, the cattlemen forget about how well they've been "trained" and start shooting up the lawman again. Nice Kinstler art but nowhere near as nice as it could've been.
All the best
K1ngcat

I think there was always a bit of ambiguity regarding the jurisdiction of law enforcement officers in
"The Old West" of The USA.  The Western films generally never really dealt with the differences between Sheriffs and Marshals, other than The Marshal sometimes having more authority than a Sheriff, and when they cooperated on a law enforcement operation, The Marshal would be in charge.  But, a Sheriff cannot be "promoted" to the office of Marshal.  In today's USA, The Sheriff is the highest law enforcement officer in a county, which is a division of a state.  He is an employee of a state government.  There were never Sheriffs that were limited to being the chief law enforcement officers of individual towns.  Incorporated cities have police forces.  The chief of police was the chief law enforcement officer in a city government.  In USA, before all parts of The Old West was settled with population enough to gain statehood, the areas that were not inside states were official "territories".  Those territories had divisions, which each had Marshals assigned by The US Federal Government.  They were law enforcement officers employed directly by The US Federal Government, as part of its Justice/Law Enforcement Branch.  Inside states, Cities had their own city police forces, which were employees of the city government. Each state had a state police force to handle enforcement of state laws.  Counties had County sheriff's Department that handled enforcement of county laws, and local laws when towns and villages were too small to incorporate as cities, or when incorporated cities were too small to afford to operate their own police force, and so, contacted those tasks to their county's Sheriff Department.  When a Federal Marshal was involved in The Old West (19th Century), it was in a situation inside a state, where Federal laws were being broken, or suspected of being broken, or where Federally-owned Land was involved, or interstate commerce or an interstate dispute was involved.  In the territories, Federal Marshals were assigned to  geographic divisions of them.  Federal Marshals often cooperated with Sheriff's Departments in counties inside states, as well as with state police, and even with city police, when US Federal laws were being broken, especially by organised crime, and The Federal officers in that area were too few to handle operations against them, and so, the Federal Marshal commandeered the aid of state and local law enforcement agencies.  A Federal Marshal could only give orders to a County Sheriff when a US Federal matter was involved.  He could not get involved in a Sheriff's duties if that were only a local matter, with no Federal law or interest involved.

So, the Sheriff in the story, who later became a Federal Marshal, would have had to quit his job with his County government, cutting short his county service and pension credit, and  join The US Federal Government's system.  It is possible that the US Federal Marshal in that state's area covering that county was killed, or retired.  And The US Government had no immediate replacement for that crucial position, and that Sheriff had been quite effective in joint Federal and County operations, and The Feds had a high opinion of him, and offered him the job, but they probably would have also had to offer some kind of bonus to compensate for him leaving the county's service before full pension tenure was reached.
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2022, 12:52:22 AM »

I think there was always a bit of ambiguity regarding the jurisdiction of law enforcement officers in
"The Old West" of The USA.  The Western films generally never really dealt with the differences between Sheriffs and Marshals, other than The Marshal sometimes having more authority than a Sheriff, and when they cooperated on a law enforcement operation, The Marshal would be in charge.  But, a Sheriff cannot be "promoted" to the office of Marshal. 

So, the Sheriff in the story, who later became a Federal Marshal, would have had to quit his job with his County government, cutting short his county service and pension credit, and  join The US Federal Government's system.  It is possible that the US Federal Marshal in that state's area covering that county was killed, or retired.  And The US Government had no immediate replacement for that crucial position, and that Sheriff had been quite effective in joint Federal and County operations, and The Feds had a high opinion of him, and offered him the job, but they probably would have also had to offer some kind of bonus to compensate for him leaving the county's service before full pension tenure was reached.

Wow! Thanks for all that info, Robb, I was completely ignorant of the differences. Until now, anyway!  I thought it more likely that the writer just forgot what the character had been described as first time round?
Appreciate your input,
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2022, 02:18:19 AM »

"The Old West" of The USA.  The Western films generally never really dealt with the differences between Sheriffs and Marshals, other than The Marshal sometimes having more authority than a Sheriff, and when they cooperated on a law enforcement operation, The Marshal would be in charge.  But, a Sheriff cannot be "promoted" to the office of Marshal. 

Wow! Thanks for all that info, Robb, I was completely ignorant of the differences. Until now, anyway!  I thought it more likely that the writer just forgot what the character had been described as first time round?
Appreciate your input,
All the best
K1ngcat

Most Europeans I know don't understand that because USA and Canada are so very big, they have one extra level of government, more than most European countries.  They have (1)local (City or unincorporated Town or Village, (2) County or Parrish, (3) State or Province, (4) Federation of States or Provinces (National Government).  In The Netherlands, we have (1) Local: City, Town or Village, (2) Province, (3) National Government.  The nation and provinces are so small, that smaller divisions (counties) bigger than local, are not needed.  Same in Denmark. Germany has States with governments, but no smaller divisions bigger than local, that need separate governmental systems. 

The U.K., on the other hand, has Nations (England, Wales, Scotland, and Northern Ireland, and counties.  But, I think the county governments in The UK are analogous to US states and Canadian provinces.  So, it is my understanding that The UK ends up having the same number of governmental systems  as European countries as their "national" governmental level of England/Scotland/Wales/N.Ireland are somewhat interwoven into The UK Government, despite having their own Parliaments.  Although The European Government was another level superimposed above those, while The UK was a member of that organisation, but it wasn't really a FULL fourth level, because its powers and authority only had a partial (fairly minor effect) on the daily lives of the daily lives of its member countries' citizens, especially given that many of its dictates provided for voluntary adherance (i.e its monetary system).

I'd like to learn from one of you lifetime, native Brits, whether or not your "Counties" are analogous to our Canadian Provinces and US States, and whether or not The Dukedoms (Northumbria, Yorkshire, Devon, Cornwall, etc.) used to be the equivalent level of Canadian Provinces and US States.  And I'd also like to know exactly how the national parliaments of The UK member nations (or states, if you prefer), affect the levels of government in The UK.  Do they act as completely independent full levels of government, with large contingents of employees?  Or do they just act as small adjuncts to The UK "National" Government?

I'm a bit embarrassed that having spent portions of about 25 years in England(mostly in Lancashire, but a bit in London), with a bit in Scotland, as well, (the former probably adding up to 4-5 years), I've never had much dealings with government agencies.  Whereas, especially in The Netherlands(almost 50 years), but also in Denmark and Germany, too(about 30 and 35 years), as a resident, I have dealt with many aspects of all 3 levels of government.  And, of course, I've lived quite a few years in Canada and USA.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:39:02 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 03:37:51 AM »

Australia.
Australia is a federation of states.Known as the Commonwealth of Australia.
6 states - Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland had all achieved self-government previously. It took a great deal of diplomacy and maneuvering to get them to Federate. But there were several areas which at time of federation had not achieved statehood. They were known as Territories and came directly under the rule of the Federal Government. Chief among these is the Northern Territory, and the Australian Antarctic Territory - about at least one third of Antarctica. It's not usually appreciated that Australia is physically the size of the United States and if we include the Antarctic territory, probably somewhat bigger.
All states collect taxes, each state has its own police force and education system and road rules. Post Office, Money policy, Banking, Military and Foreign Affairs are Federal. Federal Government collects taxes in many areas and after taking its allotments, allocates the rest back to the states. 
Local Government is known as shire government. The head of the shire is the Mayor of the biggest city in the shire. The capital cities have their own government and the mayors are known as 'Lord Mayor'. Police are all state organizations - there are no locally elected police forces. 
The office of Sherrif in Australia is quite different. In NSW,
The responsibilities of the Sheriff today are to:

administer the Sheriff?s Office;
    serve Summonses and enforcement orders, warrants and orders of the Supreme, District and Local Courts, and other tribunals and courts in New South Wales;
    serve and enforce orders within the borders of New South Wales on behalf of Commonwealth courts, including the High Court, Federal Court and the Family Court of Australia;
    arrange security for the Supreme Court, District Court, certain Local Courts and a range of tribunals; and
    administer the jury system in New South Wales.

While Australia was, after the discovery of Gold, in many ways just as wild as the US West, there was never the predominance of guns that occurred there.
That happened in the US because the chronological period of 'opening up the west' was post civil war and many men with military experience kept their arms and headed west.
In fact Americans headed for Australia for gold and Australians headed for California in the same period.
One of the worst gangs on the US West Coast was Australian. Believe it or don't!
Amazing where these Reading Group discussions end up!
Cheers!   

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2022, 04:45:05 AM »

Australia.
Australia is a federation of states.Known as the Commonwealth of Australia.
6 states - Western Australia, South Australia, Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland had all achieved self-government previously. It took a great deal of diplomacy and maneuvering to get them to Federate. But there were several areas which at time of federation had not achieved statehood. They were known as Territories and came directly under the rule of the Federal Government. Chief among these is the Northern Territory, and the Australian Antarctic Territory - about at least one third of Antarctica. It's not usually appreciated that Australia is physically the size of the United States and if we include the Antarctic territory, probably somewhat bigger.
All states collect taxes, each state has its own police force and education system and road rules. Post Office, Money policy, Banking, Military and Foreign Affairs are Federal. Federal Government collects taxes in many areas and after taking its allotments, allocates the rest back to the states. 
Local Government is known as shire government. The head of the shire is the Mayor of the biggest city in the shire. The capital cities have their own government and the mayors are known as 'Lord Mayor'. Police are all state organizations - there are no locally elected police forces. 
The office of Sherrif in Australia is quite different. In NSW,
The responsibilities of the Sheriff today are to:

administer the Sheriff?s Office;
    serve Summonses and enforcement orders, warrants and orders of the Supreme, District and Local Courts, and other tribunals and courts in New South Wales;
    serve and enforce orders within the borders of New South Wales on behalf of Commonwealth courts, including the High Court, Federal Court and the Family Court of Australia;
    arrange security for the Supreme Court, District Court, certain Local Courts and a range of tribunals; and
    administer the jury system in New South Wales.

Interesting to learn all this about Australia.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 04:13:54 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2022, 11:54:35 PM »

[b]Bat Masterson 2[/b] Written by Gaylord DuBois, pencils by Bob Forgione, inks by Jerry Robinson

(1) The Lead Souvenir
This 13 page story, whose scope and plot have the feel of the half-hour US TV series, which ran from 1958 through 1961.  I checked IMdb to see if this story was one of the TV show's episodes, but it doesn't seem to have been.  I agree that the young bank robber gang member having been wounded, with no feeling in his legs, having the bullet removed from his back , and then being instantly able to walk and ride a horse is a little much to believe.  The artwork is quite good, penciling of background and figures, inking, and staging of the panels (as they were for all the stories in this book). 

(2) The Red Hot Ringer featuring Softspoken Smith
Nice little 4-page story about a sharp local, who foils a bank robber.  The story is very well-staged, and very efficiently plotted, with perfect pacing.  The artwork is excellent.

(3) The Vanishing Gandy Dancers
This 14-pager has great artwork and wonderful staging.  I like the colouring job by the colourist, too.  Interesting that normal townsmen would break the law and take payment from one railroad company for them to sabotage a rival company.  And also interesting that a band of Cheyenne (Native American) tribesmen would aid one railroad company against its rival just to obtain a couple hands full of rifles and ammunition, given that they might have been blamed for any violence that resulted, and might have faced retaliation from the townspeople's vigilantes.  They usually wanted to stay out of "The White Man's " business, lest they be wrongly blamed for acts that would give the greedy element among them to allow their government or military to enforce further "punishment" on their tribes.

The Cheyenne were a Northern Plains tribe, which resided on grasslands and near patches of forest, in cold climates (of Montana, the western portions of The Dakotas, eastern Wyoming, northern Colorado and Nebraska.  They hunted buffalo, and wore buffalo and deerskin (buckskin) breeches and shirts.  Normal tribesmen did wear headbands with a few feathers in Them, and chieftains wore headdresses with many Eagle feathers.  They braided their hair.  The Chief appearing earlier in this story is dressed like a southwestern desert tribesman (Apache or Navajo), with a featherless headband, freeflowing long locks of hair, and warm weather clothing.  Later, at the Cheyenne campsite, there are tribesmen with feathers held by their headband, and the Chief there, has a full eagle feather headdress, but none of the warriors have braided hair, and some of them have the thick, cloth, desert-style headbands and are wearing nothing but a small loin cloth.  It seems that the artist tossed in tribesmen from several different tribes (some from several hundreds of miles away, into one scene (just to provide variety).  I think the warriors, even if they went shirtless in mid summer, because of the heat, would be wearing breeches. 

I worked on two jobs for The Cheyenne Tribes at two different reservations, back during the early 1970s.  I also worked for The Blackfeet, Mandan, Hidatsa, Nez Perce, Umatilla, Rosebud Sioux Tribe, Paiutes, and Shoshone US Great Plains tribes, and The Navajo Nation and a few Pueblo Tribes in The USA's Southwest.  So, I know the difference, as I've seen them wear their traditional pre-20th Century clothing during festivals and religious ceremonies.  And, of course I've seen many photographs of them from the last half of the 19th Century.  Despite the slight error, Dubois/Forgione seem to have done at least some research before the drawing started, unlike so many other US Western genre comic books I've read.

(4) Roaring Towns of The Old West - Bisbee, Arizona
Being an amateur historian, I enjoyed learning about the highlighted robbery event at Bisbee.  It was drawn very dramatically, and being on the inside of the back cover, we get to enjoy the inking much more than with colour overlain.  During the early 1970s, I worked in both Arizona and New Mexico for The Navajo Nation (whose reservation takes up a good chunk of the land area of both states.

(5) The Saline Pueblos
Interesting to learn about the conflicts between The Apaches and Pueblo Tribes back in the 17th through 19th Centuries.  The Spanish Catholic missionaries came to New Mexico in 1598, and built their first cathedral there in 1613.  I worked on jobs for 2 different Pueblo Tribes in New Mexico during the early 1970s.

All in all, reading this book was very entertaining, and it was also enjoyable to see the high-quality artwork.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:00:57 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2022, 12:13:57 AM »

I'd like to learn from one of you lifetime, native Brits, whether or not your "Counties" are analogous to our Canadian Provinces and US States, and whether or not The Dukedoms (Northumbria, Yorkshire, Devon, Cornwall, etc.) used to be the equivalent level of Canadian Provinces and US States.  And I'd also like to know exactly how the national parliaments of The UK member nations (or states, if you prefer), affect the levels of government in The UK.  Do they act as completely independent full levels of government, with large contingents of employees?  Or do they just act as small adjuncts to The UK "National" Government?

Well, Robb, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I don't know the answers to all your questions about UK laws, but I don't see anyone jumping forward to reply either, so it's time to do what you do when you don't know something, and Google it!

Came across this on Wikipedia, hope it helps a little:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_United_Kingdom

I know it's a bit of a cop out, all I can say in my defense is that I'm housebound now so as the saying goes, "I don't get out much!" ;)
All the best
K1ngcat
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2022, 12:24:05 AM »

Steve Donovan - Western Marshal
This single-story book is much more my style than books filled with stories too short to develop settings, characterisation, and plots with reasonable pacing.  It would be a fun assignment for a storywriter and storyboarder, and penciler (for that matter).  The artwork, by Everett Kinstler is a joy to see.  The staging is excellent.  The panels are not cluttered at all.  They have room to breathe, and yet, show lots of detail, when that is necessary to understand the story.  The colourist did a masterful job, as well.  I remember the TV show,  starring Douglas Kennedy.  I agree with Crash that Kinstler seems to have used Stone-faced Randolph Scott, at least partially, as a model for Donovan.  To me, only a few side views of him look like Scott.  Overall, Donovan looks like a cross-blending of Scott and the TV show's star, Kennedy.

As to the story, itself, it is entertaining, and partly realistic.  I think it's a bit too hard to believe that Donovan, knowing that the other ranchers and Bent would fight each other with their crews of cowhands, and possibly wreck that town, and endanger the lives of innocent townspeople, wouldn't have had reinforcements of territorial Federal agents or military sent there, or allowed him to raise a militia by deputizing local men to help him.  Furthermore, Dubois seems to have made an error in Donovan's dialogue, where he mentions that the previous Marshal is in his office.  According to the early part of the story, the previous peace officer in that town was a "Sheriff".  But, THAT seems to be an error, as well, as the introduction to the story mentions the towns of Abeline and Dodge City, both of which were the railroad shipping points for cattle driven north from Texas.  They were both located in Kansas, which had achieved statehood in 1861, so it had counties and county sheriff's departments.  Cheyenne was in Wyoming Territory, which was NOT a state.  And so, as I understand it, was policed by The US Federal Government, which would have Marshals, subordinate Federal agents, deputy Marshals, and Federal Army troops.  Any cities could have their own police forces.  But, there were no counties to warrant sheriffs, and I don't believe any smaller divisions of the territories had "Sheriffs".  I believe that the largest town in each division had a US Marshal's office, and help was sent from nearby Marshals' offices, deputizing local men, or, in the case of large amounts of help needed, US military forces were sent from the closest Army fort.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 03:46:10 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2022, 04:17:34 AM »

Well, Robb, I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that I don't know the answers to all your questions about UK laws, but I don't see anyone jumping forward to reply either, so it's time to do what you do when you don't know something, and Google it!

Came across this on Wikipedia, hope it helps a little:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_of_the_United_Kingdom

I know it's a bit of a cop out, all I can say in my defense is that I'm housebound now so as the saying goes, "I don't get out much!" ;)
All the best
K1ngcat

Thanks for the link.  That DOES explain the different government jurisdictions of the legal systems of The UK Countries, which is close to what I had understood, except for the fact that Wales' legal system has been incorporated into England's system.  But, it DOESN'T  provide any details about the different levels of law enforcement organisations, and how they operate, including how they get their enforcement manpower, and under whose authority they actin crime prevention, criminal apprehension and other policing operations (i.e. why in The World was Chief Inspector LeStrade sent to the moors of northern England or Scotland to investigate murder cases involving ordinary (albeit extremely wealthy) citizens?  Was he a UK Federal Agent?  I thought he was Chief Inspector of The London City Police (or, at most, of The Greater London Area Police - IF there was ever such a thing).  That brings up another question.....Are their Regional or Metro Area police forces for the major Cities like London, Glasgow, Birmingham, Manchester, and Liverpool? 

I spent parts of 25 years in The UK and I never found out the answer to those questions - probably because I'm not a criminal.  In Canada and USA the legal authorities are very clear cut, because they laid that out fairly clearly on the occasion of their federation, in very recent times, without having had an ancient previous history of haphazard legal system development and amalgamation.  The UK system seems to have been pieced together with several accommodations to facilitate unions of disparate systems with different traditions.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.