in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,837 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Saltbush Bill No.9

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Saltbush Bill No.9  (Read 344 times)

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« on: July 14, 2022, 05:00:02 AM »

Great backgrounds and animal and human characters drawn by Joliffe. He really captured the feeling and humour of Australian farm and ranch life. It might not be very funny for city slickers. But it's nostalgic for people who come from farm country back before 1960, and especially before World War II. I'd like to have seen comedic comic book stories from this artist/writer.

Link to the book: Saltbush Bill No.9
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 01:07:03 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2022, 06:31:18 AM »

Robb said,
Great backgrounds and animal and human characters drawn bye Joliffe. He really captured the feeling and humor of Australian farm and ranch life.

Exactly,
Eric Joliffe is essentially cancelled from serious analysis at present, for supposedly denigrating aboriginal people,even though he counted many as personal friends and none complained during the time he was working.
He 'humped his bluey through Queensland and New South Wales and worked as a rabbit trapper and shearing shed hand? (Blaikie, 102) at Cowra, Canowindra, Coonamble and Walgett [for six years according to Stephens]. 

I live currently in the area delinted above,and realize just how good he was at getting the physical environment and landscape right. A lot of his work depictes drought, and characters coping with drought, as during the period he was working there probably was an intense drought. Also his work, which was at the time extremely popular at the time, was also very accurate in understanding human relationships.
CB+ has one Joliffe book, but there were many.
I'd like to have seen comedic comic book stories from this artist/writer. 
  I'm of the mind that his images are stories and he could communicate more in one picture that many could communicate in a strip.
Eric Ernest Jolliffe OAM [Order of Australia]
Also known as Eric Jolliffe
Artist (Painter), Artist (Cartoonist / Illustrator)
https://www.daao.org.au/bio/eric-ernest-jolliffe/biography/
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2022, 05:15:37 PM »

Robb said,
Great backgrounds and animal and human characters drawn bye Joliffe. He really captured the feeling and humor of Australian farm and ranch life.

Exactly,
Eric Joliffe is essentially cancelled from serious analysis at present, for supposedly denigrating aboriginal people,even though he counted many as personal friends and none complained during the time he was working.
He 'humped his bluey through Queensland and New South Wales and worked as a rabbit trapper and shearing shed hand? (Blaikie, 102) at Cowra, Canowindra, Coonamble and Walgett [for six years according to Stephens]. 

I live currently in the area delinted above,and realize just how good he was at getting the physical environment and landscape right. A lot of his work depictes drought, and characters coping with drought, as during the period he was working there probably was an intense drought. Also his work, which was at the time extremely popular at the time, was also very accurate in understanding human relationships.
CB+ has one Joliffe book, but there were many.
I'd like to have seen comedic comic book stories from this artist/writer. 
  I'm of the mind that his images are stories and he could communicate more in one picture that many could communicate in a strip.
Eric Ernest Jolliffe OAM [Order of Australia]
Also known as Eric Jolliffe
Artist (Painter), Artist (Cartoonist / Illustrator)
https://www.daao.org.au/bio/eric-ernest-jolliffe/biography/

Thanks for the link to his biography.  I have a new favourite Australian artist.  It will be nice to see others of his books.  I hope we can get more here on CB+.
ip icon Logged

wahski

message icon
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2022, 01:11:29 PM »

Only just saw this thread re: the Saltbush comic I uploaded.

Eric Jollife has stuff dating from 1940s through to 1990s.
I have a couple more I could upload, but currently have no idea what edition they are/when were released as a few are missing the covers.

I do like other Australia B/W cartoonists like Douglas Tainsh of 'Cedric' fame, and Ned & his Neddy (by Ken Maynard) which went onto be known as Ettamogah Pub, which are also available in books.
Murray Ball with Footroot Flats is another one I guess - there are others I probably have missed.
But not many are on the same level as Eric with his scenery / detail, some of his Outback series have life like full page portraits in them.

Cedric, as far as I know is not available in separate comic or book form, but only in weekly editions of Australasian Post released over 30-ish years. So it is alot of work/expense if you were trying to get multiple examples of his work. I am trying to get as much as I can, then maybe could upload it as a compilation or something.
If they'd released his work in books - I'd buy it.

Problem is not sure what the 'cut off' point is now days in regard to copyright dates, when you scan in individual cartoon strips from individual magazines, generally  there are no indicia details next to them, and most don't have a year or copyright date/details either.

Some might be reprints from years back, I know alot of cartoons present in 1950s Saltbush Bill editions have been reprinted in later Jolliffe Outback editions. Does the copyright then extend to the lastest 'reprint' date?

I guess it can differ between countries and the company involved re: cut off date.
The one I uploaded was circa 1955 so I thought it was pretty safe date wise.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2022, 05:51:09 PM »

Only just saw this thread re: the Saltbush comic I uploaded.

Eric Jollife has stuff dating from 1940s through to 1990s.
I have a couple more I could upload, but currently have no idea what edition they are/when were released as a few are missing the covers.

I do like other Australia B/W cartoonists like Douglas Tainsh of 'Cedric' fame, and Ned & his Neddy (by Ken Maynard) which went onto be known as Ettamogah Pub, which are also available in books.
Murray Ball with Footroot Flats is another one I guess - there are others I probably have missed.
But not many are on the same level as Eric with his scenery / detail, some of his Outback series have life like full page portraits in them.

Cedric, as far as I know is not available in separate comic or book form, but only in weekly editions of Australasian Post released over 30-ish years. So it is alot of work/expense if you were trying to get multiple examples of his work. I am trying to get as much as I can, then maybe could upload it as a compilation or something.
If they'd released his work in books - I'd buy it.

Problem is not sure what the 'cut off' point is now days in regard to copyright dates, when you scan in individual cartoon strips from individual magazines, generally  there are no indicia details next to them, and most don't have a year or copyright date/details either.

Some might be reprints from years back, I know alot of cartoons present in 1950s Saltbush Bill editions have been reprinted in later Jolliffe Outback editions. Does the copyright then extend to the lastest 'reprint' date?

I guess it can differ between countries and the company involved re: cut off date.
The one I uploaded was circa 1955 so I thought it was pretty safe date wise.

More books or a compilation of Jolliffe would be greatly appreciated.  And so would a compilation of "Cedric".
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »

I haven't got time to look right now, but in the magazine section, I think there are some 'Australasian Posts'.
I think Ettamogah Pub was fairly recent- post 60's.
That one-page strip often had two birds - wearing boots - flying off, sprouting some comment.
That reminds of the Courier Mail [Brisbane] political cartoonist, Ian Gall who used to have two birds at the top of the panel, flying off into the sunset. They were named Rhyme and Reason and always said, ' This is no place for us!'
Those were the days.   
ip icon Logged

wahski

message icon
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2022, 02:26:33 PM »

Unfortunately I could not locate any Australasian Post magazines on the site.

Yes - Ken Maynard's  "Ned & His Neddy" started about 1958 with Ettamogah Pub appearing later as it overtook/overshadowed Ned.

He does have a number of books out (I scanned in the covers - I think I have most of them)

Here is an early example of Ned & His Neddy
The bird wearing boots appear quite early in the piece, apparently the reason was that the sky in some scenes was quite empty, so Ken added in this character to fill in the void.

I'll send up another Saltbush one soon, it is scanned in except for cover - just trying to see if can find out which one it is.

Click on image below to get bigger version

ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.