in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Johnny Canuck

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Johnny Canuck  (Read 3723 times)

bladestalker

message icon
Johnny Canuck
« on: August 05, 2022, 01:20:07 PM »

HI forum members

I'm looking for Dime Comics or information on the 40's superhero Johnny Canuck.  any links or guidance would be most helpful.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Johnny Canuck
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 05:09:38 PM »

HI forum members

I'm looking for Dime Comics or information on the 40's superhero Johnny Canuck.  any links or guidance would be most helpful.

I believe that all the Dime Comics (Nr. 1-30) are still available for download on The Canadian National Archives' website Library section, under "Bell Features Special Collection".  I'm not sure you have to show that you are a Canadian citizen or resident.  But, I am a Canadian, who is currently abroad, but I did not have to show any identification to get onto the page where they are located.   Check your Personal Messages.  I have sent you more specific information.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2022, 08:36:53 PM »

I wouldn't call Johnny Canuck a superhero, he's more of an extra-talented soldier, no goofy costume, no powers, no outlandish villains (unless you count Hitler).

The stories are good though.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2022, 09:35:22 PM »

Hi Bladestalker,
I have sent you a second personal message containing links to information pages on Johnny Canuck, and a good book on "The Canadian Whites from WWII".
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2022, 09:47:20 PM »

I agree with SuperScrounge,
Johnny Canuck is a symbolic national hero, but NOT a superhero, having no superpowers.  He is just an excellent, driven to-be-the-best-he-can-be soldier, and fighter for justice and right causes.

Captain Canuck (first published in 1975) is a Canadian superhero.  The two get mixed up a lot, given that their "surname" is exactly the same.
ip icon Logged

bladestalker

message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 01:56:05 AM »

This is great information.  I've located the archive with the Dime Comics.  My next step is to verify copyright 50 years after the death of the authors is possible, but I don't really know how to verify that.

As an aside I've been approached by a Canadian publisher to produce a comic and I pitched JC.

any thoughts of verifying if Johnny is now in Public Domain?   
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 02:27:31 AM »

I am no expert by any means,but I do know that Canadian rules on PD are different from US rules, so it may well be in the public domain.
Google 'Canadian Public Domain law' or something similar and you may find out.
Also, there is always the possibility that someone else has the same Idea and has already grabbed it. Hope not, and I wish you luck in your enterprise.
Here is a list of some of the posts and threads on PD which you will find on CB+.
https://comicbookplus.com/search/?cx=partner-pub-9639869078401298%3A2415513160&cof=FORID%3A10&ie=UTF-8&q=Public+Domain&sa=Search&siteurl=comicbookplus.com%2Fforum%2Findex.php%3Faction%3Dpost%3Btopic%3D22428.0%3Blast_msg%3D86797&ref=&ss=7072j5500414j18
Happy reading!   
As you can see, its a well-discussed subject and still a bit of a minefield.
'Copyright' and 'PD' are two different things and you also need to find out if someone holds the Copyright.   
Cheers! 
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 10:57:16 AM »

Leo Bachle died in 2003, so a bit of a wait on the 50 years.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.