in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

German bank question VolksBank eg e6 Erding?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: German bank question VolksBank eg e6 Erding?  (Read 866 times)

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
German bank question VolksBank eg e6 Erding?
« on: August 16, 2022, 07:21:14 AM »

Hi
I think we have some German members and some that live in Europe who may have some knowledge of German banks.
I collect watches in a small way, I have a few unusual ones. The watch in question is a Pratina, theres an umlat I can't reproduce.
Anyway on the case back there is the engraving VolksBank over Erding e6, and two sets of numbers, one set I believe to be a six digit serial number but the other is in a much finer font and not entirely straight. That number has four digits then a wide space followed by two more digits.

This is a bit of a mystery watch, it keeps excellent time and seems to have been worn very little.

I'm wondering if it was a company issue to employees or a gift to new depositors.
Could one of the numbers be that of a numbered account or a PIN number?

Any information will be helpful.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: German bank question VolksBank eg e6 Erding?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 11:32:26 PM »

Hi
I think we have some German members and some that live in Europe who may have some knowledge of German banks.
I collect watches in a small way, I have a few unusual ones. The watch in question is a Pratina, theres an umlat I can't reproduce.
Anyway on the case back there is the engraving VolksBank over Erding e6, and two sets of numbers, one set I believe to be a six digit serial number but the other is in a much finer font and not entirely straight. That number has four digits then a wide space followed by two more digits.

This is a bit of a mystery watch, it keeps excellent time and seems to have been worn very little.

I'm wondering if it was a company issue to employees or a gift to new depositors.
Could one of the numbers be that of a numbered account or a PIN number?

Any information will be helpful.

Ha!  Ha!  Erding Zentrum (near Munich International Airport) is only about 29 kilometres from where I live in Munich (although it has been 2 and a half years of Pandemic since I have been back there).  My German bank account numbers have always been significantly longer than 6 digits. ALL the German bank account numbers I have ever seen in over 60 years, were longer than 6 digits.  (Same for all my Dutch, Danish, Canadian and American accounts I've had, or ever seen.  And I can assure you that account numbers at Volksbank are also longer than 6 digits. 

But, regardless, I really doubt that a bank would place the bank account number and PIN number on a gift to the recipient, who was either one of their employees or a new client.  As far as I know from Dutch, German and Danish bank accounts, PIN numbers assigned to account holders, are generated randomly, and assigned by machine, and placed into their mailing envelope addressed to the new client's address by machine, so that NO employees of that bank ever see them connected with the client name.  I've been told by bank employees that no bank employee knows PIN numbers of any client.  They are exclusively for use by the client in transactions.  And even if the client wants to make a transaction physically inside a bank branch where he is unknown, and use his or her PIN issued as additional proof that he/she is the bonafide owner of the account, the bank employee always looks in the other direction, or walks far enough away to not be able to see which four keys the client is pressing on the transaction machine.

In any case, I am guessing that no sane watch owner would want to have his or her bank account number AND related PIN number for that account engraved or stamped onto a watch OR its case, which also lists the name of that bank.  So, why would the bank have that done?  I would guess that the serial number is from the watch company that manufactured it, and so, it is, basically the production number assigned to that watch.  Maybe the 4 digits dash and 2 more digits represents the production batch number for that watch, or possibly the first 4 digits mark the day and month it was produced, and the last 2 are the year?  You should be able to tell that by what those 6 numbers are.

I would guess that it was a gift by Volksbank (of Erding) to a retiring employee.
I looked up "Volksbank gifts of watches to retiring employees" in German language on German Google, and found nothing.  But, then, I'm not very conversant on the best methods of making Internet searches.  I am not sure I would have the nerve to speak with someone at Volksbank to ask them to direct me to finding out about their policy of gifting watches to their retiring employees, even if I were there now, or when I return there next Spring.  Unfortunately, I don't know anyone who works at Volksbank.  Otherwise I would run this question by him or her.

Good luck with your inquiries. 
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 05:35:17 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 08:00:41 AM »

Thank you for your reply.
I suspect this watch predates use of computers. The two isolated numerals are 70. If they represent year of manufacture that would be 1970 but the other four numerals aren't consistent with month or date.
Though well made and accurate its not of such high quality as to be likely a retirement gift. I'm leaning more toward a promotional gift , or company issue.
ip icon Logged

ComicMike

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 12:02:40 PM »

Hello Capt.,

Watches as gifts for employees who went into retirement were not uncommon at German banks in the past, but I don't know if this is still the case today.

I'm pretty sure, that the Volksbank in Erding can give you information, if you send them an email with your questions and maybe attach photos of the front and back of the watch.

info [ @ - sign ] vr-bank-erding.de

Good luck with your research.  :)
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2022, 05:51:38 PM »

Thank you for your reply.
I suspect this watch predates use of computers. The two isolated numerals are 70. If they represent year of manufacture that would be 1970 but the other four numerals aren't consistent with month or date.
Though well made and accurate its not of such high quality as to be likely a retirement gift. I'm leaning more toward a promotional gift , or company issue.

Yes, Comickrauts idea simply to send an e-mail to Volksbank in Erding probably is best.  It seems that Volksbank has merged with Raiffeisenbank, and is now VR-Bank Erding eG. Their main branch in Erding is located at Zollnerstra?e 4, 85435 Erding, Germany, if you want to send a paper letter to the exact branch that was in charge of the watch issue.  Their direct telephone number is: 49 8122 2000  .
Good luck with your search.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.