in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 214 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Another new user

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Another new user  (Read 413 times)

Jake-ZA

message icon
Another new user
« on: August 18, 2022, 04:24:10 PM »

Hi, I've just turned 73 which makes me a 49er. Live in Grahamstown, South Africa, where I grew up with Lion, Tiger, Hotspur, Wizard and the various annuals and picture libraries from the local newsagent, Grocott & Sherry.

I recently discovered the [link removed] web site which has many of these but no Wizard or Hotspur - I'm hoping to track these down somewhere.

It was really great seeing these publications again, sixty or more years later and reliving some of my youth.... amazing that these things are all still out there somewhere, and being preserved by enthusiasts.

I'm also hoping to find some of the Barry McKenzie "comics", of a more adult nature. There were only two, from what I remember, and were in the format of Andy Capp and Giles annual collections.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 05:29:19 AM by movielover »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Another new user
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2022, 12:14:45 AM »

G'day Jake- ZA,
Welcome and join in. Glad to have you. 

Hi, I've just turned 73 which makes me a 49er.

Makes you a couple of months younger than I am!

I'm also hoping to find some of the Barry McKenzie "comics", of a more adult nature. There were only two, from what I remember, 

That was a strip which ran in the UK's 'Private Eye' magazine for 10 years,written by Barry Humphries [ Edna Everege]
There were originally 3 collections, but all of them are now collected in one volume, available from Amazon,here.
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Barry-Mckenzie-Legendary-Resonant/dp/0413193101
It was pretty scurrilous stuff, not appreciated by many Australians at all.
Again, welcome.
Everything here is PD, [in the public domain] and some of what you have listed is not.   

!'m glad you have found that site, but it's not PD so could you please remove the link?
We have to be careful and look after the legal liabilities of the site.       
Go back to your original post, at the top of the post on the right, you will see three links,
QUOTE, MODIFY, REMOVE.
Click on MODIFY, select the link, right click and delete.
Thanking you.     

« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 12:20:53 AM by The Australian Panther »
ip icon Logged

Jake-ZA

message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2022, 05:47:34 PM »

Thanks for editing and removing the link I posted. Understood that stuff being available does not necessarily mean it's in the PD.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2022, 08:21:46 AM »

Hi Jake.  Belated welcome to CB+.  Some of those pocket libraries turned up in the UK with the S. A. price on them.
Glad you found your way here.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.