in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Major Australian newspapers have cut out comics

Pages: [1] 2

topic icon Author Topic: Major Australian newspapers have cut out comics  (Read 1348 times)

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
Major Australian newspapers have cut out comics
« on: September 11, 2022, 09:55:53 PM »

As of yesterday (11 Sep 2022), newspapers owned by News Corp in Australia will no longer print comic strips. This includes our major national paper, 'The Australian' and also the major metropolitan papers including 'The Courier Mail' in my state. I grew up on newspaper comic strips, including Peanuts, Garfield, Hagar the Horrible, BC, For Better or Worse; and Australian strips like 'Swamp' and 'Beyond the Black Stump'. I can't imagine why they would do this except that the bean counters must have worked out that it would save money. Any thoughts on this? Do you still have comic strips in your papers? Here's a link to one of the articles, but if you google it, you'll find more if this link doesn't work for you.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-08-27/news-corp-comic-strips-cathy-wilcox-sean-leahy-cartoonists/101370724

ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Major Australian newspapers have cut out comics
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 10:17:47 PM »

This has been coming for a long time.
We have now had, in Australia, at least two generations of Journalist who despise comics. They have also been allocating less and less space to comics. They also mostly no longer have political cartoons in editorial. 
I doubt they did any research at all as to whether people actually read them.
Quite a few  actually still do.
Bean counting wold be a factor, but some things in Newspapers need editors who stand up and so no to bean counters. We no loinger have any real 'Perry Whiters'   
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2022, 10:54:17 PM »

I read the article--interesting but not a real surprise because American newspaper comics have been in decline for generations. I'm afraid that when Sean Leahy says that "US papers still publish large supplements of comic strips with dozens of pages of cartoons" he must be thinking of newspapers from the 1950s. Fat Sunday comic sections began withering in the 1960s. They stabilized briefly in the 80s, before being caught up in the Great Newspaper Decline that continues today.

The last time I bought a Sunday Los Angeles Times (maybe five years ago?) the comics section had four pages. It offered numerous strips and cartoons but all were reduced to minuscule size in order to to cram as many as possible onto a page. To me an even greater surprise was that the newspaper page itself had shrunk...the news section pages were a couple of inches narrower than they used to be and the comics section, which is folded inside the paper's main body, was narrower yet.

All the studies show that fewer and fewer people read, much less subscribe to, newspapers. Those who do tend to be old coots like me. I also doubt if newspapers introduce kids to comic strips any more unless Grandpa steers them toward the funnies. Of course declining readership isn't the main reason behind newspapers fading. Advertising is what kept newspapers strong, and ad revenue has been shrinking for decades as advertisers moved first to TV, then online. News and comics cost money, so newsrooms are being shuttered and comic sections dumped in the effort to stay afloat.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2022, 11:59:26 PM »

This has been coming for a long time.
We have now had, in Australia, at least two generations of Journalist who despise comics. They have also been allocating less and less space to comics. They also mostly no longer have political cartoons in editorial. 
I doubt they did any research at all as to whether people actually read them.
Quite a few  actually still do.
Bean counting would be a factor, but some things in Newspapers need editors who stand up and so no to bean counters. We no longer have any real 'Perry Whiters'

Yes, they certainly have been in decline for awhile, with lots of regional newspapers being cut altogether. I'm not sure if that also included the political cartoons. I know these are changing times, but it's sad to see some of these traditions go. It reminded me of a few years ago when Arts faculties were cut from some universities, but there was a failure to see that Arts degrees provide a broad base of knowledge that is relevant for many jobs.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 12:04:25 AM »

I read the article--interesting but not a real surprise because American newspaper comics have been in decline for generations. I'm afraid that when Sean Leahy says that "US papers still publish large supplements of comic strips with dozens of pages of cartoons" he must be thinking of newspapers from the 1950s. Fat Sunday comic sections began withering in the 1960s. They stabilized briefly in the 80s, before being caught up in the Great Newspaper Decline that continues today.

All the studies show that fewer and fewer people read, much less subscribe to, newspapers. Those who do tend to be old coots like me. I also doubt if newspapers introduce kids to comic strips any more unless Grandpa steers them toward the funnies. Of course declining readership isn't the main reason behind newspapers fading. Advertising is what kept newspapers strong, and ad revenue has been shrinking for decades as advertisers moved first to TV, then online. News and comics cost money, so newsrooms are being shuttered and comic sections dumped in the effort to stay afloat.

Yes, all good points. The readership of printed newspapers is much less now and it is harder for newspapers to stay afloat. Thanks too for clearing up the situation re newspaper strips in US papers. However, I was interested in the comment made in the article asking why they didn't include comics in the digital versions of newspapers. It's a sad loss. Maybe more comic strip writers and illustrators will be publishing them on their own websites, but then it's harder to discover them unless you're already a fan of those people and their cartoons.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 01:34:45 AM »

The last time I bought a Sunday Los Angeles Times (maybe five years ago?) the comics section had four pages. It offered numerous strips and cartoons but all were reduced to minuscule size in order to to cram as many as possible onto a page. To me an even greater surprise was that the newspaper page itself had shrunk...the news section pages were a couple of inches narrower than they used to be and the comics section, which is folded inside the paper's main body, was narrower yet.

Another factor is the spiraling cost of paper, which is behind the paper shrinkage, 
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 02:30:04 AM »

Another factor is the spiraling cost of paper, which is behind the paper shrinkage,

Yes, I think corners have been cut all round. It's interesting though that when COVID started, they actually doubled the puzzle pages in the Courier Mail to two full pages instead of one, presumably because more people were at home and they were giving us things to keep us occupied. My hubby and I love puzzles and still appreciate the two full pages. Yet they cut comics. Following the 'puzzle' logic, keeping comics in the papers would be a good way to cheer people up with all the dire news around the world.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »

For the most part, there aren't many strips in newspapers here. But I never see the right wing papers like the Mail or Express.  The Sunday Post still has Oor Wullie and The Broons but at one time there were more pages with other, shorter strips. In the past we didn't have those telephone directory papers like the weekend L.A. Times.
It's sad, given the quality of some British strips e.g. Jeff Hawke; Matt Marriot; Four D Jones; Buck Ryan; Modesty Blaise; Tug Transom and some of the home grown humour strips e.g. Andy Capp; The Gambols; Beau Peep; Bristow and so on.
Despite the popularity of comics in some quarters and the fame of certain writers and artists, many in these islands still look down their noses at comics. 
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 08:42:46 PM »

Our local paper is still hanging on, but just barely. The Sunday comic section is down to 5 pages, and one of those pages is a reprint of the Saturday strips. (They don't have a print version for Saturdays.) Of the strips they do carry, no adventure strips or serials. I have to get my Sunday doses of Tarzan, Mandrake, The Phantom, Prince Valiant and Flash Gordon online. The rest of the strips are three reprints, a few classics  such as Blondie and Hagar, and the rest a mixed bag of contemporary stuff.
I realize newspapers have to economize in order to survive, and our local rag has done a pretty fair job of balancing content throughout the paper. I was a subscriber for nearly 50 years until the delivery service became just awful! I now buy my paper daily at the shops, but I do miss the Saturday print edition.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 09:54:07 PM »

For the most part, there aren't many strips in newspapers here. But I never see the right wing papers like the Mail or Express.  The Sunday Post still has Oor Wullie and The Broons but at one time there were more pages with other, shorter strips. In the past we didn't have those telephone directory papers like the weekend L.A. Times.
It's sad, given the quality of some British strips e.g. Jeff Hawke; Matt Marriot; Four D Jones; Buck Ryan; Modesty Blaise; Tug Transom and some of the home grown humour strips e.g. Andy Capp; The Gambols; Beau Peep; Bristow and so on.
Despite the popularity of comics in some quarters and the fame of certain writers and artists, many in these islands still look down their noses at comics.

I remember Andy Capp being in the newspapers in Australia years ago. I don't remember Modesty Blaise being in the papers, but I managed to pick up two Modesty Blaise compilations at one of my local library's monthly sales. Each volume had three complete stories from the strips, and I enjoyed them. It's rare to pick up graphic novels at the library as they're the first to go, so I was lucky to get those. I can't understand why some people turn their noses up at comics. They're a lot more than entertainment.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 09:57:44 PM »

Our local paper is still hanging on, but just barely. The Sunday comic section is down to 5 pages, and one of those pages is a reprint of the Saturday strips. (They don't have a print version for Saturdays.) Of the strips they do carry, no adventure strips or serials. I have to get my Sunday doses of Tarzan, Mandrake, The Phantom, Prince Valiant and Flash Gordon online. The rest of the strips are three reprints, a few classics  such as Blondie and Hagar, and the rest a mixed bag of contemporary stuff.
I realize newspapers have to economize in order to survive, and our local rag has done a pretty fair job of balancing content throughout the paper. I was a subscriber for nearly 50 years until the delivery service became just awful! I now buy my paper daily at the shops, but I do miss the Saturday print edition.

Thanks for that. Which country is that? I remember Mandrake, Phantom, Prince Valiant, Blondie and Hagar being in the papers here years ago. I think Phantom and Hagar were still around recently, but I haven't seen Blondie for years. That was a fun strip.
ip icon Logged

Drahken

message icon
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 05:00:55 AM »

On one hand, I have fond memories of newspaper comics as a kid (mostly sunday ones), but on the other hand I scoff when anyone mentions newspapers or comics in newspapers these days. I haven't looked at a newspaper in several years now (possibly a decade or more?), and haven't bought one in multiple decades. 
The local paper has been shrinking in every way (content and physical size) for many years now, while the price has been skyrocketing that same length of time. Their crap wasn't worth what they had been charging previously, now they expect me to pay much more and get much less? Bite me.
Back in the 80s sunday comics were 5 2-sided pages of pure comics, then they dwindled to 3 and then 2 2-sided pages, with one of those being pure text content (some "fairy tales of the world" thing, and some sort of educational thing). Considering that that was about a decade ago, it's probably down ti half of one side of one page by now.

I still read a fair ammount of newspaper strips, but I've been reading them online since the 90s. There used to be a few online editions of newspapers which included a comics section (a couple were even customizable to show only the ones you wanted), but those died off ages and ages ago. However, you can still find the strips at the sites of the publishing companies (creator syndicate, king features, etc) as well as a few aggregate sites. There are also some blogs with scans of old strips I missed out on (like the flintstones and yogi bear), and google's newspaper archive has scans of old newspapers, including whatever (non-sunday) comics they have. For example: https://news.google.com/newspapers?id=J7AiAAAAIBAJ&sjid=ErMFAAAAIBAJ&pg=834%2C1152489
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 08:06:16 AM »

Interesting Drahken.  Got me thinking, again, always a problem.  I realised I hadn't bought an issue of the Herald, a major Scottish daily, for quite a few months. Not that there are any strips in the paper.
I do subscribe to Private Eye, a fortnightly satirical paper which has lots of cartoons and some regular strips, all humour or political.
I do read newspaper strips both online and digitally. There are a lot out there to be found.  ADCCC is a sadly missed resource as they published a lot of classic British strips.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 09:30:52 AM »

The practice of having not just comics, but multi-page colour comic supplements as a major feature in Newspapers can be tracked back to William Randolph Hearst, founder of the King Syndicate.
Most of the world's major strips and most of the ones still being produced are products of King Syndicate.
It's been my belief that without Hearst's input, the Syndicate has year after year not taken the comic division seriously, They should have seen the comic book boom begun in the 70's and the popularity of TV cartoon characters and now the popularity of comic=based movies as a cue to take their properties seriously, but instead they went the other way.
One example, George Lucas took Flash Gordon seriously and created Star Wars. King Syndicate allowed Flash Gordon to be seen as 'Camp' and have basically trashed the brand.
William Randolph Hearst
https://www.lambiek.net/artists/h/hearst_wr.htm
Had they created their own comic publishing house, instead of farming out work to other companies, they could be number three in that industry, and be known as a maker of quality TV and Movies.
What they have done instead is a waste and a disgrace.             
ip icon Logged

Drahken

message icon
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 07:12:06 AM »

This discussion reminds me of back in 2006, when some 120 or so newspapers here in the US bundled free spiderman repints issues in the sunday papers. It started with a full reprint of spidey's amazing fantasy 15 appearance, then each week after that was half of an issue of the original spiderman comics (the second week was #1 part 1, the third week was #1 part 2, etc). The promotion was intended to run much longer than it did (an old clipping I have says it was going to be 46 issues), but was cancelled about halfway through due to lack of advertisers. The promotion apparently ended after #24, though my local paper stopped after issue #19 (which was the first half of spiderman #9, leaving everyone on a cliffhanger).
The quality of the pages was about equal to standard comic magazines at the time, though the covers were just the same paper as the pages. Getting those was fun & made getting the sunday paper something to look forward to again, at a time when the newspaper comics had dwindled to near nothingness. It was also my first exposure to those original comics. I was very disappointed when the promotion ended so abruptly.

Looking back and seeing that this was in 2006 puts my previous estimate of not having bought a paper in "multiple decades" a bit off, but it's still been 16 years since I bought a paper, and had been probably a decade prior to the event since I had bought a paper unrelated to it.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 07:49:36 AM »

This discussion reminds me of back in 2006, when some 120 or so newspapers here in the US bundled free spiderman repints issues in the sunday papers. It started with a full reprint of spidey's amazing fantasy 15 appearance, then each week after that was half of an issue of the original spiderman comics (the second week was #1 part 1, the third week was #1 part 2, etc). The promotion was intended to run much longer than it did (an old clipping I have says it was going to be 46 issues), but was cancelled about halfway through due to lack of advertisers. The promotion apparently ended after #24, though my local paper stopped after issue #19 (which was the first half of spiderman #9, leaving everyone on a cliffhanger).
The quality of the pages was about equal to standard comic magazines at the time, though the covers were just the same paper as the pages. Getting those was fun & made getting the sunday paper something to look forward to again, at a time when the newspaper comics had dwindled to near nothingness. It was also my first exposure to those original comics. I was very disappointed when the promotion ended so abruptly.

Looking back and seeing that this was in 2006 puts my previous estimate of not having bought a paper in "multiple decades" a bit off, but it's still been 16 years since I bought a paper, and had been probably a decade prior to the event since I had bought a paper unrelated to it.

I would have loved to have those comics arriving with the Sunday papers. I wouldn't call myself a huge Spidey fan, but I've picked up a couple of facsimile issues that Marvel put out this year - A 'Peter Parker, the Spectacular Spider-Man' comic from 1976 and a 72-page 'The Amazing Spider-Man Annual' from 1964. I liked them both, but especially the second one. There's nothing quite like holding a copy of the original comic book in your hands, complete with all the ads, letters to the editor and other features.
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 09:02:58 PM »

This reminds me of something webcomics tried doing around 2005/2006. Webcomic host Keenspot tried bundling a bunch of their comics in a newspaper supplement to appear in papers. (The webcomic You Damn Kid had to be retitled You Darn Kid.)

Other webcomics people tried similar things. I think Scott Kurtz (PVP) even chose not to take money as he saw it as a form of advertisement.

These days, I think most people read 'newspaper' comics on the web.
ip icon Logged

Quirky Quokka

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 11:21:32 PM »

That prompted me to look up some old comics. I had no idea Blondie was still being produced daily. Not sure if they're all new or reprints of old ones, but at least some seem to be new because of updated situations (e.g., a few days ago, there was one about how quickly iPhones get updated):

https://comicskingdom.com/blondie
ip icon Logged

Drahken

message icon
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2022, 06:47:36 AM »

Most of the newspaper strips online are nominally new content, unless they specifically say something to the effect of "classics" in the title. Wizard of id has "wizard of id" and "wizard of id classics", luann has "luann" and "luann again", foxtrot has new sunday only comics and "classics" daily ones. Of course, many of the punchlines, and/or art are often recycled from older strips, so calling them "new" is debatable. The comics curmudgeon blog critics a lot of dailies, and often points out when ones are reusing jokes from decades past. https://joshreads.com/

One source I use for newspaper strips is http://www.comicsrss.com/
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2022, 08:27:11 AM »

That prompted me to look up some old comics. I had no idea Blondie was still being produced daily. Not sure if they're all new or reprints of old ones, but at least some seem to be new because of updated situations (e.g., a few days ago, there was one about how quickly iPhones get updated):

https://comicskingdom.com/blondie

I had no idea that strip went past the early 1970s.  The artwork looks EXACTLY like Chic Young's from the 1940s.  His son surely picked up his style nicely.  But, I think that is a new (current) drawing.  It's amazing that that comic strip is almost 100 years old!  Only about 7 more years to reach that milestone.  Would that be the second longest-running comic strip in history, after the 109-year, "Katzenjammer Kids (1897-2006)?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2022, 08:31:44 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2022, 08:53:43 AM »

Looking at these current newspaper comic strips, I am appealed.   
Nobody seems to know any longer what 'funny' is and that goes for the "Political cartoons' also.
If this is the state of newspaper cartoons, its no wonder that newspapers don't want them any longer.
https://licensing.andrewsmcmeel.com/comics
If you want to be horrified, look at the current 'Nancy' for example.
And 'Alley Oop'?! Just what is that?!
You could easily get A.I. to create comics of this standard.   

ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2022, 09:22:26 AM »

Looking at these current newspaper comic strips, I am appealed.   
Nobody seems to know any longer what 'funny' is and that goes for the "Political cartoons' also.
If this is the state of newspaper cartoons, its no wonder that newspapers don't want them any longer.
https://licensing.andrewsmcmeel.com/comics
If you want to be horrified, look at the current 'Nancy' for example.
And 'Alley Oop'?! Just what is that?!
You could easily get A.I. to create comics of this standard.    

I would hope that artificial intelligence set on randomized generation would produce something better than those.  What do those 2 characters have to do with "Alley Oop"???  That Nancy strip is dreadfully dull and boring, but so was Ernie Bushmiller's strip, as I recall.  The only time "Nancy" reached the entertaining level (and it was excellence, by the way), was when John Stanley took over the writing and storyboarding of her Dell comic book stories.  I took a look at the Ginger Meggs strip.  It was "passable", but definitely didn't have the spark it had during the 1950s (my favourite period). 
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2022, 11:35:57 PM »

The Nancy strip is dreadfully dull and boring, but so was Ernie Bushmiller's strip, as I recall.

That's why I don't understand Nancy fandom, where otherwise intelligent people praise Ernie Bushmiller's "surrealistic" imagination. Bushmiller's Nancy jokes were seldom funny and the punch lines were frequently baffling non sequiturs that seemed stupid, not clever. But Nancy went on year after year and heaven forfend, she's still with us!

I gotta say that for the first time in my life I can say something positive about Bushmiller's cartooning. It was a damned sight more professional than the present artist's work. The skinny, computer-crisp outlines emphasize how flat and lifeless the drawings are. Pfui, says I!

What caught my attention is that the strips on the landing page come from a variety of different syndicates--or are unsyndicated--but they all appear under the banner of Andrews McNeel. I knew Andrews McNeel as a book publisher. They published the US Calvin and Hobbes collections, for example. Here they seem to be a licensing firm, a middle-man between the strips' owners and people who want to reproduce them for some project.

I sampled  a number of the strips at random and didn't dissolve into gales of laughter. It was annoying that the site presented some sequential strips in reverse order. I wonder why they run only the first panels of Doonesbury strips.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2022, 12:24:38 AM »

The Nancy strip is dreadfully dull and boring, but so was Ernie Bushmiller's strip, as I recall.

That's why I don't understand Nancy fandom, where otherwise intelligent people praise Ernie Bushmiller's "surrealistic" imagination. Bushmiller's Nancy jokes were seldom funny and the punch lines were frequently baffling non sequiturs that seemed stupid, not clever. But Nancy went on year after year and heaven forfend, she's still with us!

I gotta say that for the first time in my life I can say something positive about Bushmiller's cartooning. It was a damned sight more professional than the present artist's work. The skinny, computer-crisp outlines emphasize how flat and lifeless the drawings are. Pfui, says I!

What caught my attention is that the strips on the landing page come from a variety of different syndicates--or are unsyndicated--but they all appear under the banner of Andrews McNeel. I knew Andrews McNeel as a book publisher. They published the US Calvin and Hobbes collections, for example. Here they seem to be a licensing firm, a middle-man between the strips' owners and people who want to reproduce them for some project.

I sampled  a number of the strips at random and didn't dissolve into gales of laughter. It was annoying that the site presented some sequential strips in reverse order. I wonder why they run only the first panels of Doonesbury strips. 

The character of Nancy DID, however, get to experience a short 'Golden Era", from Spring 1959 through early 1962, when longtime Dell storywriter/storyboarder and penciling artist, John Stanley, who had tired of his, then 13 year assignment with the comic book "Little Lulu" stories, was transferred over to Dell's flagging "Nancy" books.  He revived that series, by making both Nancy and Sluggo more energetic and dynamic characters, and also expanded their characters to being more well-rounded.  And, he expanded the character of Sluggo's neighbour, who was also his landlord and surrogate "guardian", as the boy was a runaway orphan.  The strip had some edgy possibilities.  Stanley added a mixed adversarial and father/son-style relationship between them.  He also added new characters to develop a vehicle for a real surrealistic atmosphere some of the Nancy stories could attain.  These were a potential playmate for Nancy, named Oona Goosepimple.  She always wore all black, had pasty-white ghoulish appearing skin, and behaved very weirdly.  She resided with her aunt, who was a practising witch, and an uncle (not married to the aunt), who was a magician, and a cousin, who was a giant, who had a whole wing of their house to himself, just to house his body.  The house, of course, looked like a typical abandoned haunted house.  Behind its fireplace in the drawing/sitting room, where Oona often took Nancy, laid a different dimension, which was a surrealistic world, in which an unearthly species of beings having magical powers dwelt.  The surrealistic situations were interesting, and the stories were inventive, and had clever dialogue and endings.  It was more like the clever Stanley Little Lulu comic book stories.

Have you come across any of these '59-'62 Nancy comic book stories?  If not, I could send you scans of a few.
ip icon Logged

Drahken

message icon
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2022, 12:42:39 AM »

The current nancy looks like a low grade webcomic. Having different art styles is one thing, but something that amteurish being published professionally is a much bigger joke than any of the strip's content.
I first encountered the nancy comics durring jerry scott's run in the 80s, and loved it. The strip had great energy then. At the time he stopped doing it, my local paper dropped it. I thought the comic as a whole had died, but found out quite a few years later that it had been continuing uninterreupted when I found it online. It somehow didn't feel the same, but my memories of the good old days had faded so I assumed it was just a passage of time thing, then I started looking into it and found out about the changing artists & writers. I was also thrown off by unfamiliar characters like frtzi ritz, since the jerry scott strip only had nancy and sluggo.

It's interesting looking into the history of different strips and seeing how they've changed. Nancy and blondie for example. Both started out being based on some alluring rich girl & her swinging life, only to become dominated by a character who was introduced much later & wound up completely taking over the strip. Fritzi even got her name replaced in the title of the comic, while blondie has left generations wondering why the comic is named after someone who's little more than a background character.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1] 2

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.