in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Problems Downloading Larger Files

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Problems Downloading Larger Files  (Read 1464 times)

Blume

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Blume
message icon
Problems Downloading Larger Files
« on: July 20, 2010, 07:26:09 PM »

I have Internet Explorer. For some reason my computer will stop downloading anything above 40MB. It is very consistant about cutting me off at that point. As a result, I am just not able to download larger files. It's frustrating because some of the best scans on the site are larger files. I assume there is a default setting that is causing this, but I so far am unable to find it and change it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.
ip icon Logged

boox909

• VIP
message icon
Re: Problems Downloading Larger Files
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 07:35:05 PM »

I have Internet Explorer. For some reason my computer will stop downloading anything above 40MB. It is very consistant about cutting me off at that point. As a result, I am just not able to download larger files. It's frustrating because some of the best scans on the site are larger files. I assume there is a default setting that is causing this, but I so far am unable to find it and change it. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

There are no default settings for such a thing -- think about it, that would cause all of us to not be able to download files over 40MB -- however, you are the second person who'd posted about having a problem with larger files in recent days.

QUESTIONS
1) Does this involved every single file above 40MB that you've tried to download?

2) Have you tried Firefox or another non-IE browser?

3) Service provider interference or bandwidth limits on data downloads?

We need more info on what is going on, so we can see if something weird is going on from out end. So far, we have no indications that our end is acting weird in that sense.

B.
ip icon Logged

JVJ

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 08:00:16 PM »

It sounds VERY much like #3, boox,
The question for Blume is "who is providing your Internet access?" For instance, AOL is notorious for limiting the size of attachments and downloads and is also hopelessly stuck about 5 years behind modern file sizes.

It's not Internet Explorer, nor is it GAC, Blume. It is your Internet Service Provider. Check with the ISP and see what restrictions they impose. You may have to upgrade your service or change providers in order to access larger files.

Peace, Jim (|:{>
ip icon Logged

Blume

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Blume
message icon
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 01:58:49 AM »

Thanks for helping sort through the possibilities. Yes, EVERY download breaks off at about 39 MB's. I just tried Firefox. Same thing occurs. MSN is my ISP. They say there are no download limits imposed on my account. I am now checking into a service upgrade to see if that has any impact on the problem.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.