in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Mid 40s Holly Chambers "Super Dog" - In Which Comic Book?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Mid 40s Holly Chambers "Super Dog" - In Which Comic Book?  (Read 419 times)

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Mid 40s Holly Chambers "Super Dog" - In Which Comic Book?
« on: November 03, 2022, 12:26:02 AM »

Here are 2 pages from an origin story for an early-mid 1940s "Super Dog" anthropomorphic comedic superhero, clearly drawn by Ellis "Holly" Chambers, that, based on the style, appears to most likely have been drawn in 1944 or 1945:

As we can see on both pages, the border lines of the panels have the jagged edged electronics resister symbol, that Robert Farrell's "Kiddie Kapers" series used (which is the only funny animal series that I know of which used that, on which Chambers worked).  And there seems to have been enough finished artwork for at least one additional issue of that series after it was shut down (which was issued some years later in a reprint series), as well as 4 additional stories which could have filled most of another book.  Perhaps "Kiddie Kapers" had 2 additional unpublished books worth of finished stories waiting to be printed, and this "Super Dog" story was the final piece of that second book?

Chambers' other main freelance client during those 2 years was Fox Features.  But Fox had their own other super canine, "Marvel Mutt" (Ribtickler Giant (1945), and never used the jagged edged panels.  Chambers also drew for Charlton, Timely and MLJ. 

There is possible clue to the publisher of the series containing "Super Dog", in the fact that on Page 2, Super Dog is reading a "Nutty Comics" book.  Fawcett's lone issue of a "Nutty Comics" title was issued in 1946, and the first issue of Harvey's "Nutty Comics" was published in mid 1945 (so the latter is more likely, but both are possible.  I don't recall him having worked for either Harvey or Fawcett. 

Another interesting situation, which, possibly could be the answer, is that a 9th issue of Harvey's "Nutty Comics" was planned for late 1947, and drawn up, but never printed, because Harvey cancelled that series.  A clue to that possibility is in an advert for subscriptions to "Nutty Comics" in their last issue of the series (#8), showing a detailed, till then, unused Nutty cover, which could possibly be a completed front cover slated for use in the upcoming Issue #9.  Here it is (blown up for better viewing):

Chambers' artwork on the "Super Dog" pages appears to have been drawn in his 1944-45 style, rather than his 1947 style.  But, as stated by his peers and editors, Chambers was erratic in his work quality and style, possibly due to differences in the amounts of and frequency of drugs he was reported to have taken.  That, incidentally, was likely to have been at the primary cause of his needing to bounce from company to company freelancing, during their emergency shorthanded heavy deadline periods.  So, I cannot rule out the possibility that this story may have been slated for Harvey's Nutty #9 (although I would place it as a lesser chance than the other possibilities I mentioned above).

It is also possible that the author's use of the name "Nutty Comics" was random, only indicative of a comedy genre comic book, as there were no other US comic books using that title between 1943 and 1946, of which I am aware.

I hope some of you golden Age comics experts will know of a book in which this story was printed, and will enlighten me with details about it.

Thanks for any help.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 06:19:15 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Mid 40s Holly Chambers "Super Dog" - In Which Comic Book?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2022, 02:32:14 AM »

I find myself fascinated by that origin.
Was the creator trying to say that all superhero origins are ridiculous?
Reminds me of the classic joke.
Somebody is visiting an institution for the mentally ill. They come across a man repeatedly smashing his head against a wall.
Horrified they ask, 'Why are you doing that?'
And he replies, 'because it feels so good when I stop!'       
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2022, 06:40:36 AM »

I find myself fascinated by that origin.
Was the creator trying to say that all superhero origins are ridiculous?
Reminds me of the classic joke.
Somebody is visiting an institution for the mentally ill. They come across a man repeatedly smashing his head against a wall.
Horrified they ask, 'Why are you doing that?'
And he replies, 'because it feels so good when I stop!'     

Ellis "Holly" Chambers was quite an interesting character.  I think he was a lot more clever than most readers would guess.  And I really like his sense of humour.  Yes, he ABSOLUTELY was making fun of The Superhero genre, just as he ALWAYS was poking fun at Funny Animal comics, and probably, comic books in general.  I don't believe he was inspired to illustrate comic books, and provide good entertainment for the little kiddies.  I think he had contempt for Human society, and was not thrilled with "having to choose to derive needed monetary income by doing something that was not really what he wanted to do."  I doubt that he had an inkling of what he really would want to do.  But, I don't think that drawing Funny Animal comic book stories was it.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2022, 09:06:48 AM »

I have just found this "Super Dog" story in Charlton's Zoo Comics #5 from 1946.  I've had it for a long time.  I just forgot, because I haven't looked at that comic for many years.  But, it's also nice to now have scans of two of its original inked pages.   :)

You can read the entire store printed in colour right here:  https://comicbookplus.com/?dlid=25832
on this very website.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 09:15:35 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.