in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 43,474 books
 New: 215 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Re: Zoo Funnies v1 03

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Re: Zoo Funnies v1 03  (Read 367 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« on: November 05, 2022, 03:00:01 AM »

The Coyote Family = the most unlikely Bernie Krigstein ever.

Link to the book: Zoo Funnies v1 03
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2022, 05:21:29 AM »

The Coyote Family = the most unlikely Bernie Krigstein ever.

No doubt one he probably wished he'd never drawn.  The artwork is terrible.  But the story, (if anyone would call it that), is completely inane, and as bad as any comic book story I have ever read.  I suppose weasels might eat coyote pups when they are very young and, thus, small.  But, the children of the coyote couple are more than half as large as their parents.  It is one thing, to know that coyotes eat prairie dogs in real life.  But to introduce cute prairie dog characters to a readership of young children, and have coyote characters, who, using no cunning tricks, or interesting tactics to catch their prey, and just grab one as it leaves it's tunnel entrance and smash its head against a rock, and then take it home for their family's meal, and then the story ends, is a really unsatisfying waste of time, probably even for a 5-year old.  No comedy whatsoever, in a supposed humour magazine!  No sight gags, clever quips, , no funny scenes of any kind.  I would have been totally ashamed to turn in any work like that, even if I had been desperate for cash.  If I drew like that, I would have not used my real name, but, rather, an alias, like Carl Wessler and Ellis Chambers often used.

Clearly, the publisher, story editor, art editor, and, especially, the "story" author felt that it didn't matter how inspired the artwork would look, or what technical quality it would have, or whether or not the characters were likeable, or whether or not the story was clever, funny, or entertaining.  It is amazing that such magazines actually were sold at all.  In those days a Dime actually had some value. Better to buy 10 penny candies than waste it on such a book.  At least the Rabbitson Crusoe story is halfway decent to look at.  Most of the other stories in the book probably could have been drawn better by 11-year old fans using their off hands.  And almost all the so-called "stories" are embarrassingly senseless, and uninteresting.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:48:30 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2022, 06:35:47 PM »

But the story, (if anyone would call it that), is completely inane, and as bad as any comic book story I have ever read.

Omigod! Robb, I never even read the story. I just "admired" the artwork. This story is appalling! It's the sort of thing I'd imagine contemporary "edgy" writers would do to deconstruct the funny animal genre. The prairie dogs are drawn cute and given sympathetic personalities. They're allowed to escape being eaten a couple of times. Then they're smashed with a rock and eaten by the happy coyote family. What the hell were they thinking? Unless the story was a mean trick by an editor or writer who hated funny animal comics. Very, very strange. And very badly drawn.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2022, 07:08:03 PM »

But the story, (if anyone would call it that), is completely inane, and as bad as any comic book story I have ever read.

Omigod! Robb, I never even read the story. I just "admired" the artwork. This story is appalling! It's the sort of thing I'd imagine contemporary "edgy" writers would do to deconstruct the funny animal genre. The prairie dogs are drawn cute and given sympathetic personalities. They're allowed to escape being eaten a couple of times. Then they're smashed with a rock and eaten by the happy coyote family. What the hell were they thinking? Unless the story was a mean trick by an editor or writer who hated funny animal comics. Very, very strange. And very badly drawn.

Yes!  This "story" is rather like a Horror genre story drawn by an underground artist, in the vein of the  "Bambi Meets Godzilla" cartoon.

During the early 1940s, most of the non-Disney, non-WB, non-Walter Lantz, non-MGM Funny Animal comic book stories were 4-7 pages long, and had no real plot/storyline, and were just a series of slapstick, animation-style gags, many, if not most of which, had no real "writer", but were laid out by the finishing artist in his preliminary storyboard drawings as he moved along (not knowing what would come next until he decided upon the next gag.  Often they ended abruptly, as if the funding to pay him had run out.  There was almost no thought to whether or not the ending matched the "point of the story" (for which there was none).  They were, basically, just a sequence of drawings with no meaning.  The so-called "writers" who were NOT the same person as the final artist, were also generally cartoonists, who drew storyboard sketches, were also budding or wannabe animators or comic strip artists, who didn't know how to properly construct a story. 

The few people hired to write such comic book stories, who were NOT artists or art school students, or hobbyist cartoonists, were high school or college English language or literature major course students, who had no idea how to create a story structure properly for a cartoon-like character to occupy a few pages of sequential artwork with dialogue balloons.  So, the general quality of these books was ridiculously poor.  That fact, despite the existence of the Carl Barks, Walt Kelly, Floyd Gottfredson and other decent quality stories, gave that new genre a bad reputation, which made many young readers not even consider reading ANY Funny Animal comic books or stories.

For that reason, I am mainly a fan of good Funny Animal artwork, and really appreciate the excellent stories when I can discover them.  Otherwise, I am only interested in the combination of lousy artwork and worthless so-called "stories" from the early days of comic books, in their context as part of the history of comic books, and development of that element of popular literature.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 07:10:57 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.