in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,782 books
 New: 213 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Hello, I’m Tom

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Hello, I’m Tom  (Read 299 times)

otrfan

message icon
Hello, I’m Tom
« on: November 26, 2022, 10:40:41 PM »

I’m a history teacher who loves comics and grew up in the 1970s when DC was reproducing many old stories and introducing all us “youngsters” to Plastic Man, Blackhawk, the JSA and other great titles.  Happy to see him all brought back to life online.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Hello, I’m Tom
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2022, 11:23:12 PM »

Welcome Tom,

Yes, you will find here - particularly in the Quality section, the original stories and versions of the current DC characters. Also in the Charlton section and in the Fawcett section. Many of the Fawcett books aren't  there, removed under legal instruction due to the existence of the current movies based on the characters, but there are still a lot there.
Also, the books here are all PD, so Charlton Runs only go to about 1964.
So, jump in, and enjoy, - we would like to hear more from you, so read the Forum threads, and don't hesitate to post.
So, I'm a teacher and have taught some History myself. Primarily Christian History but my interest in History is quite broad.
I'm currently reading a book called 'Rome a history in 7 sackings' by Matthew Kneal. I also talk and share regularly with a mate who has a degree in history and is currently researching the early exploratory history of Far North Queensland and that part of the pacific.
So, what area of history did you teach and specialize in?
Again, Welcome!
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Hello, I’m Tom
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 03:59:03 PM »

Hello Tom.  Welcome to CB+
Although I was born in 1949, being in Scotland meant I was unaware of the ga heroes.  Apart from the occasional DC title that turned up when someone was sent it from  N. America, American comics weren't distributed here till 1959. I still remember the excitement of discovering there were earlier versions of Flash, Hawkman, GL etc. And later I discovered the wonderful Plastic Man.
Please join in the conversations.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission and Disclaimer: The mission of Comic Book Plus is to present completely free of charge, and to the widest possible audience, popular cultural works of the past. These records are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They are historical documents reflecting the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We at Comic Book Plus do not endorse the views expressed in these, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

We aim to house only content in the Public Domain. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, then please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further.