in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 192 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Discord?

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Discord?  (Read 944 times)

gregjh

message icon
Discord?
« on: December 05, 2022, 10:35:19 AM »

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in joining a Discord server for general comics chat?
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
Re: Discord?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2022, 01:01:41 PM »

Always happy to talk comics but what is a Discord group?  And would I qualify as I don't read many new comics?
I must sound like a luddite.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2022, 10:31:29 PM »

Greg,

I too am not clear as to what a 'Discord Server' is. While I do read some current comics, I am not enthusiastic enough about current comics to join a chat group. I would become the resident 'grumpy old man' a role to which I am not really suited.' My posts here take up enough of my time. I need a balanced life.
But please explain what a 'Discord server' is.

cheers!   
ip icon Logged

misappear

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2022, 10:43:56 PM »

I do read a number of new comics, but almost no super-hero types. Does this chat focus on Marvel/DC types, or does it look outside the super-hero genre?
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2022, 10:22:22 AM »

Discord is a website and app where anyone can set up text and audio chats. The group can be one big chat or divided by topic. It's basically a more chat-oriented version of a forum.I was thinking of setting up one for CB+ but perhaps we are fine as we are?

screenshot for example purposes:
ip icon Logged

K1ngcat

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 01:45:30 AM »

gregjh, not sure if this really offers us any opportunity for communication that we don't already have here, if we choose to take it? I'm too much of an old fart to comment on 21st century comics.
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2022, 10:44:43 AM »

What I have read/been reading occasionally is Batman Fortress.   City Centre  Comics had a collection of the short run and as I get a good discount, I took the chance.  It's ok.  1st part is intriguing.  World threat of course, which seems to be the usual nowadays. As I'm a few issues in I'll keep going.
Also read a few issue's of Worlds Finest 'cos it looked nice, and The Doom Patrol made an appearance.
Apart from that, the Rocketeer was quite entertaining.  But with all these, if I didn't get a decent discount, and I want to support a good comic shop, I doubt I'd have bought them.
So I'm not sure what I could talk about. Would others want me going on about my research into some really small British publishers from the '40's and '50's for Sequential? But that's what floats my boat ;D
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2022, 02:46:19 PM »

I found some Rocketeer comics online awhile back. They were very entertaining. In these storylines the Rocketeer's girl friend is Betty Page. Quite different from the demure young starlet of the film. Artwork was excellent especially the retro planes and cars.

PS
I type far too slowly to keep up on a chat.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 03:29:59 PM by Captain Audio »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2022, 08:22:55 PM »

Those could be the Dave Stevens Rocketeer.  If so, they are great fun. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2022, 09:44:38 AM »

Those could be the Dave Stevens Rocketeer.  If so, they are great fun.   

No, Those would be the Dave Stevens Rocketeer.  And yes, they are great fun. 
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2022, 10:30:05 AM »

I do agree that what we have now works well, although forums are a little bit passe, hopefully anyone looking for GA CBs can find this site.

Discord will/would still be there if - may this never happen - this forum had to close for some reason.
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2022, 11:10:30 PM »

Greg,

Most of us are 'a little passe' too, and I think most of us like it like that way.
And who is to say that Discord will last longer than CB+?

CB+ is volunteer created and run, is Discord?

Cheers!     
ip icon Logged

MarkWarner

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2022, 08:07:40 PM »

After a bit, but not too much thought I 've decided I rather like the CB+ Forum being "a little passe". Which most likely it is.

Way back I added social media tags, Likes etc and had a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (now deceased).  They were a major resource strain to keep updated, the code kept changing and the companies generated billions & billions of which I saw less than zilch as I was spending time for nothing.

So I removed the lot and the site has gone from strength to strength.

BTW gregjh I take your comment 100% in the spirit it was made, as a general thought about site forums! Especially as so far we're doing OK :)
ip icon Logged

gregjh

message icon
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2022, 02:24:00 AM »

After a bit, but not too much thought I 've decided I rather like the CB+ Forum being "a little passe". Which most likely it is.

Way back I added social media tags, Likes etc and had a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ (now deceased).  They were a major resource strain to keep updated, the code kept changing and the companies generated billions & billions of which I saw less than zilch as I was spending time for nothing.

So I removed the lot and the site has gone from strength to strength.

BTW gregjh I take your comment 100% in the spirit it was made, as a general thought about site forums! Especially as so far we're doing OK :)

I'm delighted to hear the site has gone from strength to strength. 8)
ip icon Logged

BlackCat

message icon
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2022, 10:40:13 PM »

I really dislike Discord. I went there for a short time in order to post artwork, but I found that the place really did not agree with me. Just logging in to the Discord server (or whatever) gave me a bad feeling. My metaphysical hackles used to rise. A clear warning sign. I just don't trust Discord.

ComicBookPlus is quite different. I like it being where it is (i.e. here).
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.