in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,817 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Underground Donation

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Underground Donation  (Read 654 times)

BlackCat

message icon
Underground Donation
« on: December 30, 2022, 02:00:01 PM »

There are a couple of things that I wanted to mention:

Firstly, I wanted to make a donation to this site in return for the pleasure and privilege of being able to read these comics in their original printed state. But when I attempted to make this donation, PayPal informed me that ComicBookPlus also required me to give them my real-life postal address, and I was not prepared to do that. Hence no donation. Is there any way around this...?

Secondly, underground comics. I can remember reading a few of these, in the UK, when I was in my early adolescence. This would have been in the middle 1970s. The production values were quite high for the period, and some of these comics had some quite strong erotic content. I have never seen them since and I cannot now even remember their titles. However, I do know that underground comics were creator-owned and so the copyrights presumably remain with those who made them. Are there any plans to include underground comics on this site? Would the copyright on them now have lapsed, enabling those who might have collected them to exhibit them on ComicBookPlus? Are there any underground comic book creators from past decades who would be prepared to exhibit their comics on Comic BookPlus?

Your thoughts on this subject would be appreciated. 
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
Re: Underground Donation
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 01:03:22 AM »

Black Cat,
I have just sent you a PM, private message.
It will appear in your 'Private Messages' folder and also in your e-mail client.
In the 'my messages' Tab above you will see the number '1' Click on that to go to the message.

cheers!   
ip icon Logged

BlackCat

message icon
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 02:55:33 AM »

Yeah....I bought them from what I now know was a 'Head' shop (although I didn't know that at the time). I went in there two or three times and bought underground comix. There were two people behind the counter, one male and one female. They were older than myself, but not that much older. They were student age. And on my last visit they gave me bad attitude for buying underground comix. As a kid, I was mortified by this, so I stopped going in there. And that was how I stopped reading underground comix. As an adult I would have said to them: "Don't give the customer bad attitude for buying what you're selling to them."

What a pair of chumps. I have never forgiven them for that. 
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2022, 01:49:23 PM »

Please excuse my nosiness BlackCat, where was the shop?  If you don't want to go public, you could send me a pm.
I'm curious as I knew a couple of shops like that.
No problem if you don't want to go into it.
I have very few undergrounds, aĺl digital, none physical.
Knockabout Comics had serious problems with customs and the polis.
ip icon Logged

Captain Audio

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2022, 02:48:26 PM »

I ran across some underground comics around 1970 or so in a clothing store. I have no idea how they got there, but they were dirt cheap and brand new. I may still have two of these "Spaced Out" and "Skull".
ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 01:36:24 AM »

Ah, yes- "The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers", "Wonder Warthog" (who started out in a hot-rod mag), R.Crumb's "Mr. Natural" and so many more. Crumb had a whole stable of artists working on the premiere "Zap Komix". Definitely a product of the 60's, as was I, and yes I had a lot of them! One can buy the whole run of "Zap" on Amazon, so someone might very well own the copyright - possibly Crumb himself as he's still alive. However, I seriously doubt that the art and content of much of the genre would be anywhere near appropriate for this site, but that's just my opinion and not my call. Peace (And Cheers), Bowers
ip icon Logged

The Australian Panther

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 02:35:09 AM »

One can buy the whole run of "Zap" on Amazon, so someone might very well own the copyright 

Not necessarily, I don't think Amazon goes to much trouble to check.
ip icon Logged

BlackCat

message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2023, 11:36:23 PM »

I ran across some underground comics around 1970 or so in a clothing store. I have no idea how they got there, but they were dirt cheap and brand new. I may still have two of these "Spaced Out" and "Skull".

I'm very pleased that you hung on to them. Kudos to you. 1970 was a good year. And so was 1971. I love the title 'Spaced Out'. That's perfect.

.... I seriously doubt that the art and content of much of the genre would be anywhere near appropriate for this site, but that's just my opinion and not my call. Peace (And Cheers), Bowers

Having given the matter further thought, I would agree with you about that. It might create a lot of controversy and trouble for the site.

No problem if you don't want to go into it.

Knockabout Comics had serious problems with customs and the polis.

As ever, paw broon, your interest and your reply are appreciated, but I think I've written enough about that subject.

I wasn't aware that Knockabout Comics had got into trouble with the polis. However, like yourself, I am old enough to remember 'Oz' magazine. I saw it on the shelf in a newsagent's shop and I can remember being very attracted to it by the vivid colours and artwork. I was with my older sister at the time and she said something like "No, that's not for you." So I put the copy back on the shelf.

I know they were famously prosecuted for 'obscenity', but I'm not sure how that worked out.

Black Cat,
I have just sent you a PM, private message.     

Thank you very much for your PM. That was especially useful and much appreciated.

ip icon Logged

bowers

• Global Moderator
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2023, 08:46:16 AM »

Blackcat, if you're still looking for some undergrounds to study, Internet Archive might be the place to look. After the lawsuits a couple years ago, they've become pretty careful about PD. Cheers, Bowers
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.