in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,818 books
 New: 193 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Han Solo Vs. Rocky...

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Han Solo Vs. Rocky...  (Read 3440 times)

Menticide

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Han Solo Vs. Rocky...
« on: August 03, 2010, 06:13:35 AM »

So, it's now official, at least according to Sylvester Stallone, he was under serious consideration for the role of Han Solo in the first Star Wars movie. This may strike some people as rather odd, but I kind of like the idea of Stallone playing the role, but, for the record, I will admit that I was born in South Philly. Try playing some of the scenes of the first movie out in your head with Stallone in the role, it works for me, it's still Han Solo, just Solo with a bit more attitude, and a accent that I grew up with. Of course, if Stallone had taken the role, he might not have able to make the first Rocky movie, so his career might not have taken off the way it did. So, that said, it all worked out in the end, and I probably wouldn't have bought Stallone as Indiana Jones.
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
Re: Han Solo Vs. Rocky...
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 11:26:54 PM »

I am a big Stallone fan. I especially appreciated his views on Action Cinema recently with his new movie "The Expendables". I don't think a role back in the day would have changed his career too much as he wrote a lot of his movies.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2010, 02:09:50 AM »

I do not think much of Stallone as an actor. I think he is one of many that the part made the star rather than the star made the role. And in his case the match of the two working.
ip icon Logged

Menticide

message icon
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 06:47:28 AM »

I do understand why a lot people would have a less than spectacular view of Stallone's acting career, he did end up repeating himself quite a bit as a performer, and he picked some absolutely dreadful films along the way. But, in the beginning, he did show a lot of promise, not only as an actor, but as a writer as well. I believe the problem was sequel-hysteria, for every decent movie he made, he felt the need to do multiple sequels, and it killed the charm quickly. Now, that said, I did like the last Rocky movie, and the last Rambo movie was numbingly violent, but very well made.

I really think that Copland was highly underrated and his performance is very understated. It's one of his best acting jobs yet.

He's also quite good in F.I.S.T and Paradise Alley as well. Particularly Paradise Alley, which he wrote, directed, starred in, and also wrote the novel, it's actually a pretty good read. But, during this time, he was a much more respected artist, the author of an Oscar winning picture, and critics were favorably comparing him to the likes of De Niro, and Pacino.

I'm a bit partial to the first Rocky, because I was born in that neighborhood, and I know it like the back of my hand.
ip icon Logged

narfstar

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 02:25:28 PM »

Where the problem for most actors is the tendency to overact. Stallone tends to be too understated.
I give him much more credit as a writer/director than actor. I did like the last Rocky and Rambo movies also. With Stallone he needs just needs to pick the parts that fit his limited acting abilities and he does fine. With some actors I tend to be surprised to see them take on another roll and be believable. Stallone is believable in roles made for Stallone. I have done several local plays and makes me wish for an opportunity during the silent movie days. Overacting was required. It is really really easy to overact. I coulda been a star  ::)
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 09:13:30 AM »

The thought of Stallone playing Han Solo is horrible. I've never enjoyed his films and find Rocky and Rambo (well, the first ones as I couldn't bring myself to watch any more) awful, degarding, hateful films.  I don't like boxing anyway so I don't suppose that helped. 
I passed right by him on the Warner Bros. lot some years ago when visiting as a guest of DC comics and didn't recognise him.  Some of the other members of the party laughed at my ignorance but that's not unusual. In any case, watching a preview of the brand new Batman animated in a W.B. preview cinmea on site that same day was much more exciting.
ip icon Logged

Flairbrusher

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Flairbrusher
message icon
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 03:24:21 AM »

Threepio: Nobody worries about upsetting a droid!
Han: Dat's bee-cuzz Droids don' rip nobody's arms outta dere sockets when dey LOSE! Wookiees do dat alla time, you KNOW?  ;D
ip icon Logged

CharlieRock

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:17:42 PM »

Threepio: Nobody worries about upsetting a droid!
Han: Dat's bee-cuzz Droids don' rip nobody's arms outta dere sockets when dey LOSE! Wookiees do dat alla time, you KNOW?  ;D

Yo, Leia! What do you think of my ship, eh?
ip icon Logged

Tbolt66

• Past Member
  • avatar for old site member: Tbolt66
message icon
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2010, 09:51:59 PM »

this miscast is almost as shiver inducing as Tom Selleck as Indy. 
ip icon Logged

Astaldo711

message icon
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:04:01 AM »

"Yo, I don't have it wit me! Tell Jabba.."
"Jabba's tired of your excuses. If you're lucky he may only take your ship."
"My ship? MY SHIP? You disrepectin' me? Ay yo, yo ay, over my dead body!" yo.
ip icon Logged

scuttle

message icon
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 11:39:11 PM »

I do understand why a lot people would have a less than spectacular view of Stallone's acting career, he did end up repeating himself quite a bit as a performer, and he picked some absolutely dreadful films along the way. But, in the beginning, he did show a lot of promise, not only as an actor, but as a writer as well. I believe the problem was sequel-hysteria, for every decent movie he made, he felt the need to do multiple sequels, and it killed the charm quickly. Now, that said, I did like the last Rocky movie, and the last Rambo movie was numbingly violent, but very well made.

I really think that Copland was highly underrated and his performance is very understated. It's one of his best acting jobs yet.

He's also quite good in F.I.S.T and Paradise Alley as well. Particularly Paradise Alley, which he wrote, directed, starred in, and also wrote the novel, it's actually a pretty good read. But, during this time, he was a much more respected artist, the author of an Oscar winning picture, and critics were favorably comparing him to the likes of De Niro, and Pacino.

I'm a bit partial to the first Rocky, because I was born in that neighborhood, and I know it like the back of my hand.

I thought Copland got rave reviews from the critics at least? And I shocked people for years by telling them that proof Stallone could act existed in FIST. But Rocky... ugh. However, he was an excellent Judge Dredd.
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.