in house dollar bill thumbnail
 Total: 42,816 books
 New: 194 books

small login logo

Please enter your details to login and enjoy all the fun of the fair!

Not a member? Join us here. Everything is FREE and ALWAYS will be.

Forgotten your login details? No problem, you can get your password back here.

Nation-Wide Comics

Pages: [1]

topic icon Author Topic: Nation-Wide Comics  (Read 905 times)

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
Nation-Wide Comics
« on: January 15, 2023, 10:09:38 PM »

Robb, you have a wealth of knowledge about obscure publishers. Do you know anything about Nation-Wide Comics, the Chicago company that published digest-sized 5-cent comics including Captain Atom, Lucky Star, and Mazie? I know that Mazie outlasted the adventure titles and morphed into a standard 32-page 10-center along with spinoff titles Stevie, Mortie, and Falt-Top. I also know that Harvey picked up Mazie and published a few issues related to her world. That's all I know. Who were they?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
Re: Nation-Wide Comics
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 06:30:56 PM »

Robb, you have a wealth of knowledge about obscure publishers. Do you know anything about Nation-Wide Comics, the Chicago company that published digest-sized 5-cent comics including Captain Atom, Lucky Star, and Mazie? I know that Mazie outlasted the adventure titles and morphed into a standard 32-page 10-center along with spinoff titles Stevie, Mortie, and Flat-Top. I also know that Harvey picked up Mazie and published a few issues related to her world. That's all I know. Who were they?

Unfortunately, I don't know very much about Nation-Wide Comics, especially what would be the most interesting information about them to all of us, which would be exactly who their key players were (owners, editors, in-house artists(if any), and the comics art and editorial packaging studios that supplied their content.  Unfortunately, I doubt that much if anything has been written on it.  Unfortunately, The American Comic Book Chronicles' 1950s Volume says a lot less than I'm telling you here.  So, I doubt that much research has been done on Nation-Wide, or there are no longer any records of that firm's operations existing, and no one left with knowledge of that publisher's operation.

All I know about their comics line is that they operated from 1950-1954, from an office at 737 Michigan Avenue, in Downtown Chicago (The Loop), on an area of that business street, where several book and magazine publishers had offices.  It seems that their parent company, Magazine Publishers Corporation, was a small magazine publisher, who decided to open a line of comic books around the end of 1949.  They started in early 1950, with Captain Atom (Superhero), Lucky Star (Western), Do-Do (Funny Animal/Circus), and Mazie (Teen Humour), in 1950, running through 1951, and added "Cavalier Comics"(Adventure) in early 1952, and Mazie spinoffs, Flat-Top, Stevie, and Mortie, near the end of 1952, lasting throughout 1953-54.  The first 4 miniature, 5 cent lines ran 7 issues, each.  At first, they experimented, using a smaller size (5 inches wide and 7&1/4 inches tall) with only 4 panels per page, and selling for only 5 cents.

But their later, starting near the end of 1952, their Teen Humour issues (including an upgraded Mazie) became full-sized, and sold for 10 cents.  CB+ lists Nation-Wide Publishing as having produced 14 different comic book series, which issued a total of 64 different issues.  But I know of only the 8 series I listed above, totalling 43 issues.  The other 6 titles, and 21 issues MAY be an error, also counting in Magazine Publishers' Corp magazines, or some non-fiction educational or promotional series that have not yet been identified and documented in GCD, and not yet been scanned and uploaded to CB+ or DCM.

I can't tell from their artwork, which comic book packaging studio provided their artwork and daily production editorial staff.  But, based on their Funny Animal line's (Do-Do(The Circus Clown))'s art, which was clearly drawn by Frank Carin, I'd venture a guess that Carin worked as a freelance artist for them. 

I'd bet that Nation-Wide, being so small, had no regular in-house staff artists, and all their artwork and major editing work was done by a packaging studio, and Nationwide had only a "Chief Editor" overseeing the packager's daily project editor's submitted work for final approval and direction.  Nationwide may have had one-in-house editorial artist, and used a couple freelance storywriters.

I guess that you, and other more realistic-style Golden Age comic book fans will need to look at the art and story writing styles of Nation-Wide's books, to make guesses at which artists and packaging studios did their work.  I'm guessing that GCD's credits for those books are only guesses, rather than confirmed data based on documentation from the time of production.  Jack Davis signed some pages in "Lucky Star" issues.  So, he is confirmed.  GCD has David Gantz listed as having drawn most of Nation-Wide's Teen Humour title's stories GCD has Frank Carin also listed for drawing "Lucky Star" stories, at times, both WITH and WITHOUT question marks.  And the artwork on "Captain Atom" appears to be from the same hand as is listed as by Frank Carin.  So, IF the credits WITHOUT question marks are actually documented, we can assume that Carin also worked for Nation-Wide.  But Carin was the in-house artist for all Avon Periodicals' Funny Animal lines during Nation-Wide's entire run.  And the style of the artwork in Lucky Star's stories credited to him looks like it COULD possibly be his work. 

So, it might possibly be that Jack Davis, Frank Carin, and David Gantz all worked as freelancers, directly dealing with Nationwide, rather than a packaging studio, IF Nation-Wide's in-house, Chief Editor had a background as a previous Chief Editor of another comic book publisher.  But, my best guess is that Nation-Wide was a tiny 2-3 man operation, with a tiny office, and farmed out all their work to a packaging studio.  So, it would behoove us to do some research to see if Frank Carin, Jack Davis, and David Lantz all worked for the same comic book packaging studio between 1950 and 1954.  I guess that Gantz and Davis could have come through a packaging studio, while Carin probably just moonlighted with Nation-Wide from his in-house Avon position as Art Director at Avon.  Or, perhaps, Nation-Wide contracted with Avon, to provide their comic book packaging, and then, in addition to Carin, Jack Davis and David Gantz worked for Nation-Wide through Avon.  Unfortunately, I've never seen an artist list for Avon Periodicals.

Do any of you know if Jack Davis and David Gantz worked as in-house or freelance artists directly for Avon, or if Avon contracted with a comic book packaging studio during 1950-1954?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 12:22:04 AM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 08:47:10 PM »

I did a sitewide search for 'Nation Wide' at Bailsproject.com and it brought up these entries:

CARIN, FRANK
   Promotional comics
       LUCKY STAR, WESTERN COWBOY FUN-COMICS~ (pen/ink/) 1950-51 premiums for Acme Supermarkets through NATION-WIDE
   Comics Studio (Shop)
       FRANK CARIN STUDIO (packag/) c1950-c51 see NATION-WIDE; and promtional comics

DAVIS, JACK
   Promotional comics
       LUCKY STARS~ (pen/ink/) 1950-51 premium for Acme Supermarkets through NATION-WIDE

GANTZ, DAVID
   Promotional comics
       MAZIE, TEEN-AGE STORIES FUN-COMICS (pen/ink/) 1950-51 premium for Acme Supermarkets through NATION-WIDE

HARVEY COMICS
   Title published
       MAZIE #[13-28 1954-58 see earlier issues under NATION-WIDE

MAGAZINE PUBLISHER
   Name and vital stats
       MAGAZINE PUBLISHER (see NATION-WIDE)

MAZIE COMICS
   Name and vital stats
       MAZIE COMICS (see NATION-WIDE)   

NATION-WIDE
   Source (some data)
       Frank Motler with additions from TONY TALLARICO via Jamie Coville interview 2006
   Name and vital stats
       NATION-WIDE (1950-55) also spelled NATIONWIDE
   Note
       Aka MAZIE COMICS; MAGAZINE PUBLISHER
       Four earliest premium titles were promotional comics for Acme Supermarkets packaged by FRANK CARIN
   Title published
       CAPTAIN ATOM FUN-COMICS #1-7 1950-51 premium
       CAVALIER 1952
       DO-DO, ANIMAL CIRCUS STORIES FUN-COMICS #2 1951 six issues; premium
       FLAT TOP #1-3 1953-54
       LUCKY STAR, WESTERN COWBOY FUN-COMICS #1-7- c1951-55 premium
       MAZIE (aka MAZIE AND HER FRIENDS) #1-12] 1953-54 see later issues under HARVEY
       MAZIE, TEEN-AGE STORIES FUN-COMICS #1-7 1950-51 premium
       MORTIE #1-3- 1952-53
       STEVIE #2-6 1952-54

RAVIELLI, LOUIS
   Promotional comics
       CAPTAIN ATOM FUN-COMICS #1-7 (pen/ink/) 1950-51 premium for Acme Supermarkets through NATION-WIDE

At a guess I'd say it was connected to Acme Supermarkets (either a part of the company or a firm hired by Acme) to get more business (similar to the old Gulf Weeklies) and they later licensed/sold Maizie to Harvey Comics.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2023, 12:19:32 AM »

Thanks, Scrounge, for your Bails research.  That, plus my post above, pretty much answers Crash's question about "Who" Nation-Wide was, and how they operated, or, at least, points us towards an educated guess at what was probably their situation.  Based on this information, it seems to me that Frank Carin's own studio, not only contracted to package comic books for Nation-Wide Comics, but probably also had that same working arrangement with Avon Periodicals to handle all their Funny Animal and other juvenile series.  I had always thought Carin had been an in-house, direct Avon employee during his 1949-56 tenure with Avon.  But I think he probably just moved his own studios offices to inside of Avon's because they were his largest client, and as he was producing and packaging all their juvenile titles for them, he needed to be there every day.

It appears to me, that perhaps Frank Carin or the owner of Magazine Publishers, Inc. had a lead on Acme Supermarkets' desire for their own line of comic books for marketing their company, and earning goodwill from the mothers who shopped at their stores, and wanted to jump on that business opportunity for a big long-term regular production contract.  Either the magazine publisher wanted to break into the comic book production industry and chose Frank Carin's Studio to produce and package the books for his firm, or Carin had the lead, but didn't have enough funds to pay the staff he'd need to start up regular production on that level.  So he partnered with the magazine publisher who wanted to enter the comic book business.  In any case, it seems most plausible that Carin's Studio and Magazine Publishers, Inc. partnered up in the new comic book company, Nation-Wide Comics, as a joint venture.  Carin probably contracted his fellow workers at Avon, at least Gantz and Ravielli (if not Davis), to staff his studio, and added Davis, from outside, IF he hadn't worked with the latter at that company.  So, that partnership with Magazine publishers, Inc. as Nationwide Comics, might have been the start-up of The Frank Carin Studio.

It seems that they started out producing only the half-sized (digest-sized) 5 cent comic books, available for purchase only at Acme Supermarkets and their related subsidiary store chains.  Promotional comics were almost always free of charge (giveaways).  I'm not sure requiring their purchase even at the low price of 5 cents, was a good idea.  But, the fact that I never saw them on the regular newsstand shelves or comics racks, and never heard anyone else say they saw them for sale there, and the fact that we have no known remaining "giveaway" issues, without the "5 cents" price printed on their covers, leads me to believe that there were no cost-free books printed up to give away in stores.  So, it is clear that in late 1952, after seeing the unexpected level of popularity of their "Mazie" supermarket-based mini-books, Nation-Wide decided to put that line out in full size and at full market price to comic books' regular retail outlets, and added 3 spinoff titles from the Mazie series.  They even copied Lev Gleason's book cover style (ostensibly because Gleason had several very successful Teen Humour series going at that time).  The transfer of the rights to "Mazie" and that series' spinoff characters to Harvey, in 1954, probably occurred just before Nation-Wide went out of business.  So, I'd bet it was a straight-up, outright sale, rather than a lease of those rights.

The 6 additional Nation-Wide series, and related 21 GCD and CB+ unidentified issues, could possibly be the Nation-Wide Bails credits-listed, "Cavalier", and maybe 5 special short public service lines of only a couple issues?

Carin was probably project art editor(and, possibly story editor, as well), and would also draw Nation-Wide's "Do-Do" (Funny Animal) series, while Davis and Carin would split "Lucky Star (Western) and Cavalier (Adventure), Carin would pencil "Captain Atom" with Ravielli inking it, and perhaps, he inked Cavalier, as well?, and Gantz would draw their various Teen Humour series.  Avons' offices (where Carin's own studio was) were located in New York.  So, Ravielli, Davis and Gantz either worked at home on Nation-Wide's books, meeting in Carin's studio on occasion, or all three worked on Nation-Wide's books inside Avon, in Carin's portion of their art studio.  Ravielli and Gantz probably also did freelance work for Avon.  I've definitely seen credits for, at least Ravielli in Avon issues from that period (and likely for Gantz, too).  I'm sure I've seen Davis' name on credits for some Western stories in lots of Western books from that period, but I don't remember if any of them were for Avon.

The owner or owners of Magazine Publishers probably had a small operation, like we learned that O.W. Comics was.  Carin might have chosen to write stories himself, but with his extensive drawing duties at Avon AND now, both drawing and likely Chief Editor duties at Nation-Wide, he probably had to hire an aspiring young storywriter to double as assistant editor.

Unfortunately, I don't remember seeing storywriting credits or mention of an editor having worked for Nation-Wide in any of the comic book creators' biographies.  I didn't see separate editorial office address for Nation-Wide Comics in New York, like most of the Golden Age comic book publishers had, with their mailing address located at their printers office in Chicago, or St. Louis, and having an "Editorial Office" in New York.  So, I think that Nation-Wide Comics' bosses were located 1,000 miles from their producers in New York.  And so, communication was by telephone and mailing artwork through the post.  In any case, this company operated only for a little less than 5 years, and was probably relatively unknown to most comic rack browsers.  I don't remember having seen any on my 2-3 extended trips each year to USA (Chicago) during 1950-54.

P.S. We have "Cavalier Comics" represented here on CB+, but it is NOT stored together with the other Nation-Wide publications.  That might be because that particular book just shares the same title, but was published by another publisher.  I'm sure it was stored with a tiny publisher with only 3 or 4 titles, located in the Small Publishers' section.  Ive searched for it but can't find it.  Do any of you know under which publisher it is stored?  Please let me know, if you do.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2023, 06:15:44 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

crashryan

• VIP & JVJ Project Member
message icon
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 06:00:58 AM »

Thank you, Robb and Scrounge, for tying up the Nation-Wide question. The summary in Robb's last message sounds plausible. I used to think that comic shops were strictly a Golden Age phenomenon in the US. It's clear however that comic book packagers existed into the 70s, if not longer. The ones that survived longest seem to have been those who packaged sponsored comics rather than newsstand books. Perhaps Neal Adams' Continuity Studios was the last? I'm speaking only of US-based packagers. Foreign studios like Selecciones Ilustradas and Union Studio are a whole different (but equally interesting) subject.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2023, 07:17:01 AM »

Thank you, Robb and Scrounge, for tying up the Nation-Wide question. The summary in Robb's last message sounds plausible. I used to think that comic shops were strictly a Golden Age phenomenon in the US. It's clear however that comic book packagers existed into the 70s, if not longer. The ones that survived longest seem to have been those who packaged sponsored comics rather than newsstand books. Perhaps Neal Adams' Continuity Studios was the last? I'm speaking only of US-based packagers. Foreign studios like Selecciones Ilustradas and Union Studio are a whole different (but equally interesting) subject.

I'm glad you're happy with our answer to your question.  I'd still like to find out who Nation-Wide's story writer(s) was/were, and who their chief editor was (if not Carin). 

Also, I'd like to find out if the "Cavalier Comics" also represented in CB+'s "Small Publishers' " section, at least with an example cover scan, IF not an uploaded scanned issue, belongs rather in our "Nation-Wide Publishing" section.

By any chance, do you happen to know under which small publisher it is located?  This is NOT the red BG Medieval Swordsman-covered A.J. Nugent-published "Cavalier" from 1945, reprinted in 1952.  But, rather, a blue-sky BG Renaissance-dressed hero riding a horse on its cover.  I don't think we have a complete scanned copy of that book, but only a small scan of its front cover is included in a montage of front covers of titles of series' supposedly issued by that other Small Publisher.  For the small, obscure, publishers, often CB+ only have uploaded scans of issues of one or two of their titles, but a montage of miniature scans of all or most of their issued titles is represented at the top of their publisher's page.

Also, do you know of any comprehensive list of artists who worked on Avon's issues?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:21:42 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Comic Book Plus In-House Image

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2023, 09:02:48 AM »

Yes, the biggest packager for promotional comic books that I know of was Western Publishing, who performed that service starting in the mid 1940s, and it lasted into the early 1980s, with hundreds of different issues, including long-lasting series like "Boys' and Girls' March of Comics", endless Christmas comics (and other special in-store giveaway issues) for members of The National Association of Supermarkets, American Association of Department Stores, and National Retailers' Association, using new character made up by Western's creative staff to the client's specifications, as well as using cartoon characters licensed from the film and TV animation studios, made for Woolworths, Walgreens, Sears, McCrory's, W.T. Grants, Kresge, J J Newberry, etc.

Western also ran special quite long series using company mascots as lead characters, such as Poll Parrot, Reddy Goose, and Weather-Bird, for those shoe models from The International Shoe Company; and also issued special books for organisations like The American Dairy Association, Pacific Gas and Electric Co., Southern California Edison, and various national trade associations.

Sales Promotions, Inc. (of New York) was another big packager of made-to-order retail and special interest promotional comic books, which produced scores of annual Christmas issues for department stores and toy stores, from the 1940s through the late 1960s, as well as made-to-order any-time-of-year giveaway promotional comic books to entertain children of shopping parents.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 07:27:28 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

paw broon

• Administrator
message icon
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2023, 05:56:00 PM »

Robb, I can't find the "other" Cavalier and searching in Overstreet has got me nowhere. 
Frustrating.  So many mysteries.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »

Robb, I can't find the "other" Cavalier and searching in Overstreet has got me nowhere. 
Frustrating.  So many mysteries.

I can't find it neither on GCD.  Yet it is listed in Bails from payout records from Nationwide to Frank Carin Studio, AND I have seen a "Cavalier Comics" cover other than the Nugent 1945 and 1952 re-issues of the "New Fun" and "More Fun" adventure stories.  And THAT "Cavalier Comics" cover art looked like early 1950s style.  I still haven't found it yet.  But, I'm sure it was in a montage of between 4 and 8 front covers representing the  titles that relatively small comic book publisher issued.  So, it could be Nation-Wide's series, just filed with the wrong publisher (an error which has been performed on GCD several times), and thus repeated on CB+.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2023, 10:47:17 AM »

I was correct, after all, in surmising from the information blurb on the Bails "Nation-Wide" pages, that Nation-Wide issued BOTH cost-free "giveaway" comic books, and commercial 5 cent copies of the same issue during the 1950-early 1952 series run.  In addition, they also issued a few other giveaway-only series mainly during 1952, and a few of the series extended out longer than listed on the Bails information, and CB+ showed through 1953 and 1954.  The proof of that is the fact that scans of the front covers of those GCD-only recorded issues are uploaded on their website.

Lucky Star actually ran through issue # 14, lasting into early 1955, and I've seen copies of both gratis retail outlet giveaways, as well as 5 cent commercial copies for each of Issues # 1-7.  GCD has scans of #8-14, but ALL of them are giveaway copies, despite seeming to have more elaborate colouring and a slicker look to them, similar to the 10-cent commercial issues of Mazie, leading me to wonder if those issues were also sold commercially for 10 cents and distributed by the normal retail outlets, as Mazie, Stevie, Flat-Top, and Mortie were.

Below is GCD's detailed information page for Nationwide Publishing, Inc.:

So, now we know what the extra 6 series are, but those 14 don't count in "Cavalier Comics", which was listed by Bails as having had 3 issues paid for by Nation-Wide to Frank Carin's Studio.  So, apparently, Nation-Wide produced 15 different series, which issued a total of 67 books, many of which were issued in 2 formats, one as retail outlet giveaways, and one as commercial sold books (at 5 cents, or later, 10 cents).  And, IF "Do-Do Comics" also had a 1952-53 Fun-Comics run of from 4 to 7 issues, Nation-Wide would have then had a total 1950-55 production and issuance of 16 different series(titles) with from 71 to 74 different issues.  That is a much more substantial imprint on the comic book industry than the 1950-51 operation period and only 4 titles and 28 issues that were known, previously.  Therefore, it has been found that Nation-Wide's true amount of production and contribution to the 1950s US comic book industry's output was more on the scale of Chesler/Dynamic's than of the tiny Green Publishing's.

In addition to the series listed above by Bails, there was a "Lucky Star" series of 4 giveaway issues, in 1952, titled: "Lucky Star Fun-Comics". Here is a front cover scan of Issue #4:

Bails also lists a 1952 "Fun-Comics" series, each, for Captain Atom with Issues from 1-7, and Mazie from 1-4.  So, at least those 2 titles had 14 and 11 issues of both commercial AND giveaway issues between 1950 and 1955.  Mazie ran from 1950-54, when its rights were sold to Harvey.  I have seen no indication of a Fun Comics series for "Do-Do" or "Cavalier".  But, I suspect that there WAS one of "Do-Do", because it was one of their original "Big Four series", and it was represented in most of their other series.

Here are samples of how the same issue's commercial book front cover differs from the Giveaway:

As we can see, the purchase price is located inside the star, and on the giveaways, a note states that it is free compliments of that retail outlet distributing it to mothers or directly to the child, inside the store.  The commercial 5¢ copy was signed by "Lucky Star" artist, Jack Davis, making me wonder if Nationwide had comic book promotional signing events at specific venues.  I don't remember any comic book conventions held by collectors, or by comic book distributors during the early 1950s.  Holding such events at Nation-Wide's largest clients, such as Acme Supermarkets, makes the most sense.  But, if THAT were the case, the comic books signed by the artists would be the giveaways rather than the 5¢ commercial version.  Maybe comic book distributors DID hold sales-oriented conventions?  But would comic book fans attend those, and publishers have their artists appear there, in autograph signing sessions?  I don't remember comic book fans being so fanatical during that early period, so as to be recognized by publishers and distributors as a market to be exploited in that type of event.  Maybe it's just the simple situation that the autograph was obtained by one of Jack Davis' relatives, who knew he had drawn that book?

Here is a scan of "Lucky Star" # 14 (Giveaway Issue):

Here is a scan of the "Captain Atom" issue of a one-off (single issue) 1952 horizontally-oriented mini-comic series, of just their 4 major titles ("Captain Atom", "Lucky Star", "Mazie", and "Do-Do(The Clown)":

« Last Edit: January 19, 2023, 08:17:02 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged

SuperScrounge

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2023, 10:24:13 PM »

Checking at the Internet Archive for various things I discovered that Fawcett published a magazine called Cavalier (aka Cavalier For Men). The earliest issue they have scanned is v1 #2 from January 1953 which would mean that a first issue should have come out in 1952 the same year Nation-Wide supposedly put out it's one shot Cavalier.

I wonder if the reason why we can't find a Cavalier comic is because they discovered that Fawcett had a magazine with the same name coming out and the contents for Nation-Wide's Cavalier were put out under a different title?
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2023, 11:03:31 PM »

Checking at the Internet Archive for various things I discovered that Fawcett published a magazine called Cavalier (aka Cavalier For Men). The earliest issue they have scanned is v1 #2 from January 1953 which would mean that a first issue should have come out in 1952 the same year Nation-Wide supposedly put out it's one shot Cavalier.

I wonder if the reason why we can't find a Cavalier comic is because they discovered that Fawcett had a magazine with the same name coming out and the contents for Nation-Wide's Cavalier were put out under a different title?

That's EXACTLY what I've thought all along.  But, I've already checked all the CB+ "Small Publishers", and it isn't there.  So, I think it's been filed with a very small publisher, just slightly larger than the largest in the "Small Publishers" section.  There have been several incorrect guesses as to which publisher published given series.  Often that happens because some publishers wanted to "hide" the fact that they had started new subsidiary companies to publish more books during paper rationing, or for tax reasons.  So there seems to be no connection between the series in question and its real producer.  At the same time, there may be some perceived connection to the erroneously perceived publisher, such as an editor who worked for both, or that both firms got their comic books packaged by the same art studio.  The situation of Frank Carin packaging comics for both Avon and Nation-Wide between 1950 and 1955 might be a coincidental bit of perceived "evidence" that, in the absence of any other information related to who was the real publisher of Nation-Wide, might have led a GCD indexer to choose to list Nation-wide as an "Avon Periodicals Group" publisher, and file it together under Avon.  So, knowing that I saw another "Cavalier Comics" front cover scan in a montage of a fairly small publisher's title covers, I'll need to peruse the title lists of all the smaller of the regular publishers.  Once I find it, IF CB+ actually has a scanned copy of the book, I can check its indicia for any connection to Nation-Wide, and if I see actual confirmation, backed up by Bails documentation, I can ask Mark to move it to the Nationwide publisher page.  If we just have the front cover scan, at least I will have that image to help in a search to track down Nation-Wide's "Cavalier Comics".
ip icon Logged

mopee167

message icon
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 08:52:20 PM »

Per Tony Tallarico, in Alter Ego #48, May 2005: Frank Carin was packaging these small-sized Nation-Wide comic books for Acme Supermarkets.
ip icon Logged

Robb_K

• VIP
message icon
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2023, 10:57:17 PM »

Per Tony Tallarico, in Alter Ego #48, May 2005: Frank Carin was packaging these small-sized Nation-Wide comic books for Acme Supermarkets. 

So, we now have a confirmation of what I've surmised, based on payment documentation, and other Bails documentation.  And, we now know that the "Lucky Star" character was created explicitly for the Clothing store chain who produced Lucky Star Jeans (sold in Santone stores ("dealerships") according to the publisher reference on the giveaway issues). 
« Last Edit: March 04, 2023, 06:56:00 PM by Robb_K »
ip icon Logged
Pages: [1]

Comic Book Plus In-House Image
Mission: Our mission is to present free of charge, and to the widest audience, popular cultural works of the past. These are offered as a contribution to education and lifelong learning. They reflect the attitudes, perspectives, and beliefs of different times. We do not endorse these views, which may contain content offensive to modern users.

Disclaimer: We aim to house only Public Domain content. If you suspect that any of our material may be infringing copyright, please use our contact page to let us know. So we can investigate further. Utilizing our downloadable content, is strictly at your own risk. In no event will we be liable for any loss or damage including without limitation, indirect or consequential loss or damage, or any loss or damage whatsoever arising from loss of data or profits arising out of, or in connection with, the use of this website.